Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Shogun

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-24, 09:26 PM
jerrylis

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 9 Posts
Shogun

I have a flawless bright yellow Shogun 600... I will post pictures as soon as I get 10 postings... can anyone tell me a bit about the brand?
Old 05-15-24, 09:53 PM
jerrylis

mean yellow shogun

here comes the sun!!! what its worth if I were to part with it? again, this thing is flawless and all original...
Likes For jerrylis:
Old 05-15-24, 10:09 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 306 Posts
I think that's a great color . It looks kinda small?
Old 05-15-24, 10:12 PM
jerrylis

it is... is a 50cm. I have a blue one that is a more reasonable 56 cm - also very clean
Likes For jerrylis:
Old 05-15-24, 10:28 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by jerrylis
what its worth if I were to part with it?
This belongs in the "whats it worth" forum. Striking paint job tho.
Old 05-16-24, 06:29 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3122 Post(s)
Liked 6,770 Times in 3,874 Posts
Thread moved from C&V to C&V Appraisals

Old 05-16-24, 08:01 AM
hazetguy 
only here for the "LIKES"

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 1647 Post(s)
Liked 2,260 Times in 1,059 Posts
that shogun is from that "200 bike" lot that was posted in the 'are you looking for' thread, for sale on FB a few weeks ago.
the post: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post23221133

so what's the story on the bike, the lot, what is happening with / happened to all of them?
Likes For hazetguy:
Old 05-16-24, 09:47 AM
evwxxx
FalconLvr

Bikes: 62 Falcon, 58 Raleigh Lenton Gran Prix, 74 Raleigh Pro, 75 Raleigh Int, 75 Raleigh Comp, 76 Colnago Super, 75 Crescent, 80 Peugeot PX10, plus others too numerous to mention!

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
that shogun is from that "200 bike" lot that was posted in the 'are you looking for' thread, for sale on FB a few weeks ago.
the post: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post23221133

so what's the story on the bike, the lot, what is happening with / happened to all of them?
yes, inquiring minds want to know!
Old 05-16-24, 04:44 PM
jerrylis

good eye! I was lucky enough to acquire the entire collection recently. The previous owner of the bikes was a true love of bikes but he has number of other passions he wanted to pursue. Now I have to figure out what do I keep, sell, trade etc...
Old 05-16-24, 04:53 PM
jerrylis

Originally Posted by evwxxx
yes, inquiring minds want to know!
good eye! I was lucky enough to acquire the entire collection recently. The previous owner of the bikes was a true love of bikes but he has number of other passions he wanted to pursue. Now I have to figure out what do I keep, sell, trade etc...
Likes For jerrylis:
Old 05-16-24, 07:29 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 305 Post(s)
Quoted: 26481 Post(s)
Liked 10,448 Times in 7,248 Posts
...great bike, but my experience here in trying to sell my own collection in NorCal has been a massive failure. I honestly have to give some very nice bikes away, for free. I don't know what the situation is where you are, but here, there are few buyers for classic steel at prices over $2-300. Or at least that's been my experience so far, in the past couple of months. Craigslist is moribund, eBay local pickup produces lots of lookers but few offers, and nobody wants to pay the costs to pack and ship a bicycle any more. If I sound disappointed, it's because I am. But I honestly hope you have better luck there.

I just hauled a Shogun touring bike, with full racks and in fully refurbished condition, pristine cosmetically, over to the bike co-op and gave it to them. That was one of the great Japanese touring bikes from the age of Japanese made touring bikes. Few seem to care in the age of carbon fiber and e-bikes.
Old 05-17-24, 08:24 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 1,833 Times in 650 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...great bike, but my experience here in trying to sell my own collection in NorCal has been a massive failure. I honestly have to give some very nice bikes away, for free. I don't know what the situation is where you are, but here, there are few buyers for classic steel at prices over $2-300. Or at least that's been my experience so far, in the past couple of months. Craigslist is moribund, eBay local pickup produces lots of lookers but few offers, and nobody wants to pay the costs to pack and ship a bicycle any more. If I sound disappointed, it's because I am. But I honestly hope you have better luck there.

I just hauled a Shogun touring bike, with full racks and in fully refurbished condition, pristine cosmetically, over to the bike co-op and gave it to them. That was one of the great Japanese touring bikes from the age of Japanese made touring bikes. Few seem to care in the age of carbon fiber and e-bikes.
+1 Trying to sell anything lesser known from the 70 or 80's with DT shifters is tough in the current market. I have ended up donating a several nice builds to the local thrift store Road. SS and MTB where they only sold for $100 or so in Fairplay CO.

Last edited by zukahn1; 05-17-24 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-17-24, 12:35 PM
jerrylis

[QUOTE=zukahn1;23242537]+1 Trying to sell anything lesser known from the 70 or 80's with DT shifters is tough in the current market. I have ended up donating a several nice builds to the local thrift store Road. SS and MTB where they only sold for $100 or so in Fairplay CO.[/QUOTE

i’m in no hurry, I bought them for investment. I have no problem waiting until the market turns around. I will be in trouble, if it doesn’t.:-)
Old 05-18-24, 10:32 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 995 Times in 642 Posts
I would never, ever treat old bikes as an investment. Having collected antiques over 60 years now, there is stuff I bought 60 years ago that is worth less than what I paid back then. The best time to sell a collectable as an investment product is IMMEDIATELY. Stuff goes in and out of fashion in a heart beat. I keep some vintage bikes, not as an investment but because I like them, The more desirable stuff can have value but not as an investment. Check the value of a PX10 or a Chicago Schwinn Paramount, today versus ten years ago. What will they be worth ten years from now, I have no idea. Meanwhile, the Dow Jones average ten years ago was 16,2xx, and closed yesterday over 40,000. This does not include the dividends people received over those ten years.

I've bought two bicycle collections recently. I am selling them as fast as I can, at a discount. The boxes of parts I got with the collections have turned out to have the best value. Even that stuff is going on the market as soon as I can get them listed. I have already sold enough to cover what I spent.

As investments, bikes like all collectables tie up $$, give no returns while you hold them, need to be stored carefully and given occasional maintenance.

Last edited by wrk101; 05-18-24 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-18-24, 12:22 PM
jerrylis

Originally Posted by wrk101
I would never, ever treat old bikes as an investment. Having collected antiques over 60 years now, there is stuff I bought 60 years ago that is worth less than what I paid back then. The best time to sell a collectable as an investment product is IMMEDIATELY. Stuff goes in and out of fashion in a heart beat. I keep some vintage bikes, not as an investment but because I like them, The more desirable stuff can have value but not as an investment. Check the value of a PX10 or a Chicago Schwinn Paramount, today versus ten years ago. What will they be worth ten years from now, I have no idea. Meanwhile, the Dow Jones average ten years ago was 16,2xx, and closed yesterday over 40,000. This does not include the dividends people received over those ten years.

I've bought two bicycle collections recently. I am selling them as fast as I can, at a discount. The boxes of parts I got with the collections have turned out to have the best value. Even that stuff is going on the market as soon as I can get them listed. I have already sold enough to cover what I spent.

As investments, bikes like all collectables tie up $$, give no returns while you hold them, need to be stored carefully and given occasional maintenance.
all good points, thank you for sharing
Old 05-18-24, 05:14 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 3,094 Times in 1,008 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...great bike, but my experience here in trying to sell
Exactly why I decided to gravelize my Shogun 500 that I’ve been posting about in the wrenching thread. A great bike that wouldn’t fetch much of a price right now. The good news is it passed its road test today, tides great with an updated drive train so on to wide rims and fat tires. Probably equals or even outperforms a similar Surly or Crust.