Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

what do you do with wrecked frames that are not worth repairing?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-12, 12:57 AM
puchfinnland
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 4 Posts

I have dreamed of finding a wrecked road frame to play with.

1. try to dis-assemble the lugs, maybe try my hand at repairing it for self education.

2. save the small parts for other frames- shift bosses,cable guides,brake bridge,dropouts.

Seems we never hear from them after impact, even they can have use in the afterlife.

I would like a wreck to work with, pretty rare up here.

I cant see any reason not to salvage the braze on bits.

throw em my way! I will pay postage to Baltimore!

Last edited by puchfinnland; 10-28-12 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-28-12, 01:20 AM
BluesDaddy
I got 99 projects

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
(Freeze damaged)
Old 10-28-12, 01:53 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 151 Posts
I've got a worthless Raleigh Scorpio frame, I'd like to make the rear triangle into a portable chair. I also have a Ricardo Racemaster as a ornament at the start of our driveway on our farm property.

Last edited by jbchybridrider; 10-28-12 at 01:58 AM.
Old 10-28-12, 01:58 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
leave it on the street for junk collectors/metal recyclers
Old 10-28-12, 02:00 AM
jbchybridrider 

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
leave it on the street for junk collectors/metal recyclers
Not a Ricardo, to good for that!
Old 10-28-12, 06:13 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 282 Posts
When my Miyata 312 was run over it was stripped and the bare frame went into the 'metals' hopper at the dump. Given the amount of bikes and parts I've removed from that hopper I figured it was only fair.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 10-28-12, 06:23 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 142 Posts
Many years ago, a friend asked me if I had any "old" Italian racing bicycles I wanted to get rid of.

I had two, a Ciocc and a Colnago Super, that were beat/rusted within an inch of their lives.

He used them as decorations in a bar in Mpls. for a few years as decorations/props.

I should have kept them. Nowadays someone would have paid me decent money to "renovate" them.
Old 10-28-12, 06:28 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Most of the ones I have are pretty low end, so they end up at the recyclers. Before aluminum prices fell I could get $10-$12 for a BSO aluminum frame.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 10-28-12, 06:39 AM
oldroads
OldBikeGuide.com

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
We take off the good parts and put the frames in a pile which eventually gets taken to the scrap yard.
A ½ ton pickup loaded with bike parts for recycling yields only about $60, but that’s enough for three 30packs of my favorite beer.
Old 10-28-12, 06:50 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy
(Freeze damaged)

snipped the pic
What is "freeze damaged?" Bikes do not need to be stored in temperature-controlled rooms.
Old 10-28-12, 07:00 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2937 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,497 Posts
I have never wrecked a (thanks god) that couldn't be fixed but when I worked in shops I would pick them clean like a thanks giving turkey and into the 'tip' they went.

If the rear is in good shape the stool idea is a good one.

While were talking trashed frames if anyone has a long decent steerer from a trashed fork let me know.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-28-12, 07:12 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Depends on how you define wrecked. I have donated rusty, scraped up bikes to the co-op and before I left, someone was already building it up. Now if it is damaged so it is not safe to ride, I will salvage everything I can (even the fork) and put it in the recycle bin
Old 10-28-12, 07:16 AM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I sometimes make stools.

lower left:

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
Old 10-28-12, 07:19 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
What is "freeze damaged?"
I have seen lots of "freeze damaged" bicycles, ranging from pretty darn nice vintage road bikes to department store pos wonders.

A bicycle left to the harsh winter temperatures, in Thunder Bay, is at little risk - unless water has invaded the bottom bracket and/or chain stays. Imagine what happens when that water freezes and expands as it does so. Right - the chain stays will swell to the point of splitting. And on some bicycles, that is a sad thing to see.

I had a picture of a toasted Trek Anniversary that went through the process. Wonder what I did with those pics?

And what do I do with scrap frame sets? Scrap Yard - $26.00...

Old 10-28-12, 07:43 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by randyjawa
I have seen lots of "freeze damaged" bicycles, ranging from pretty darn nice vintage road bikes to department store pos wonders.

A bicycle left to the harsh winter temperatures, in Thunder Bay, is at little risk - unless water has invaded the bottom bracket and/or chain stays. Imagine what happens when that water freezes and expands as it does so. Right - the chain stays will swell to the point of splitting. And on some bicycles, that is a sad thing to see.

I had a picture of a toasted Trek Anniversary that went through the process. Wonder what I did with those pics?

And what do I do with scrap frame sets? Scrap Yard - $26.00...

This pic cause me nightmares. I am sure Randy has done a good job of seperating the wheat from the chaff but still a Mercier, Bottechia and ... just lying there in a field

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-28-12, 08:01 AM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
I know that with certain items you need to prevent them from even possibly being reused by someone if you are putting them out in the recycling/trash. It is often just not worth event the most remote legal risk.

A couple of examples I can think of (and have done):
- Electrical goods - cut the plug/cord off them to deter all but the keenest/most competent/most stupid folks.
- Life Jackets and PFDs - slash them up into pieces.

I've heard of tow truck drivers cutting the seatbelt webbing of any seat that was occupied in a decent sized crash. That belt has been stretched and needs replacing (or needs to be prevented from being re-used as a part if the car is wrecked), but some cheap (or dumb) folks won't do it unless they have to.

So...does anyone here actually take an unsafe frame and cut it or bend it somehow to discourage re-use?
Old 10-28-12, 09:57 AM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've picked up a trek carbon frame that someone at the shop stomped on and broke the stays off so nobody would use it. I just wanted wall art. I've got more than a few up on the wall. My favorite is a manitou 1-1/4" headtube all aluminum hardtail. Thing is beast.
Old 10-28-12, 10:22 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by JonnyHK
I know that with certain items you need to prevent them from even possibly being reused by someone if you are putting them out in the recycling/trash. It is often just not worth event the most remote legal risk.

A couple of examples I can think of (and have done):
- Electrical goods - cut the plug/cord off them to deter all but the keenest/most competent/most stupid folks.
- Life Jackets and PFDs - slash them up into pieces.

I've heard of tow truck drivers cutting the seatbelt webbing of any seat that was occupied in a decent sized crash. That belt has been stretched and needs replacing (or needs to be prevented from being re-used as a part if the car is wrecked), but some cheap (or dumb) folks won't do it unless they have to.

So...does anyone here actually take an unsafe frame and cut it or bend it somehow to discourage re-use?
Actually there is a law forbiding junkyards or rather "Auto Recyclers" from selling used seatbelts. It was explained to me it is not so much the belt stretching but something to do with the inertia reels.

Cannondale used to make you cut off the serial number and give to the sales rep or mail in to the warranty dept.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-28-12, 11:21 AM
RFC

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
I like the stool idea. I saw off and sharpen TT and DT to use as Zombie stakes. "The Walking Dead" is on tonight.

Last edited by RFC; 10-28-12 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-28-12, 11:35 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I have a bent Vista frame in my cellar that I've been using as a scrap metal quarry. I've cut various sections of 1" and 1 1/8" tubing for use here and there, and gradually the thing has been getting smaller. The lugs and dropouts are actually pretty nice, so when the time comes they'll go in a box to be sent to ... someone. Mike, let me know if you want them. There aren't any shifter bosses but there might be some cable stops.
Old 10-28-12, 11:46 AM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckk
(not mine) This was STOLEN and immediately put on CL. Later replaced with a Trek 2100. I've seen another in my neighborhood, but haven't photographed it.

There's a shop in a tiny town around here that has a mailbox like that:

I can't find a thing wrong with it. OR the stronglight TT cranks. It's an impressive bike, just sitting there, rotting away.

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
Old 10-28-12, 12:45 PM
puchfinnland
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 4 Posts
thanks rhm,

I will contact you about that. Maybe randy is willing to use the hacksaw for me also?

here is my shopping list of little bits

replacing the crap stamped dropouts with nicer ones, campy or gipiemme, something italian

maybe even the front ones.

spread it to 126, same time im going to lower the rear brake bridge so I could use 27 and maybe later 700 wheels
so a nice brake bridge would be a good part to cut off

the cable stop braze on for the rear deraileur cable

the cable guide ears for over the bottom bracket- might as well hack off the bb
bottle bosses-this is a long shot of finding nice ones used

lever bosses

cable guides for the top tube

maybe pump pins-cheaper then a perfect fit pump!

tall list for a old frame revamp!
this will be a fun thread when I get brave enough to try it
Old 10-28-12, 01:26 PM
4Rings6Stars
Señor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
https://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle-...L-SMALL-PARTS/
Old 10-28-12, 02:41 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
I have broken three frames. I took the bare 20-year-old 1971 Nishiki Competition frame (seat tube lug broke off bottom bracket) to a dealership, and the company was actually willing to give me a $150 (my original purchase price) discount on a new Nishiki, under the lifetime frame warranty (remember those?). I decided against a new bike and transferred the components to a 1973 Peugeot UO-8, for which I bought new Sugino 35x1 bottom bracket cups. When the chainstay cracked on that frame (is this a curse, or something?), I put it out with the trash, moving some of the components to my current 1970 UO-8, which has yet to crack.

I gave my first Capo frame, which had failed a few years after being bent back and restraightened, to a friend who taught bicycle and automobile repair at the local adult school, so that he could hack it up to demonstrate double-butted tubing to his students. If I knew then (early 1980s) what and whom I know now, I might have had a company like CyclArt replace the top tube and downtube.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 10-28-12, 04:00 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I posted an ad on CL last week for a free 57cm 531 Austro Daimler with a bent fork, top and down tube. I posted it as free for someone to practice their brazing or turn into a shop stool. The guy who came to collect it claimed he was going to try and "cut it down and make it into a 50cm". I'm not sure how he thought he was going to do that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.