Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Clear your handlebars and your mind will follow

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-24, 11:20 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,230 Posts

Glad to see an article that endorses one of my favorite sayings.

'Absorb the world around you and let your mind wander' - you may find that it's more addictive than data | Cycling Weekly

ymmv
Old 03-17-24, 11:25 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Proof. My bars have tape, two levers and plugs. That's it. And it can be argued my mind is empty.

Well, two of my bikes have headlight mounts. And one of those has a computer mount because riding the trainer is best done with a mind filled with junk!
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-17-24, 11:29 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Would it be okay if I only look at the clock or timer and ignore the other bits of data presented by my GPS? Generally that's what I do. The GPS is mostly there just to record what I'm doing and when I'm doing it. I'll look at that data well after the ride is over. It's rare I even navigate with it.

So for the most part I agree with you! I like looking around me too. That's why I pedal so frantically, so I can see more in the limited time I have to pedal.
Old 03-17-24, 12:04 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
My mileage does vary.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-17-24, 01:09 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
good article, thanks for sharing it

/markp
Old 03-17-24, 01:11 PM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
My mind is so clear I wonder if I have an issue. I was thinking of trying a bike computer since then I could see what speed I am doing. I just know there is slow, good, and fast....
One time I rode with no handlebar tape, and since my preferred grip is the curve before the hoods I was slipping. Handlebar was too clear.
This article wasn't directed to how I ride.
Old 03-17-24, 02:35 PM
13ollocks

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I leave the head unit on, ‘cos “if it didn’t happen on Strava……etc etc”. However, if I don’t need the GPS, I’ll switch it to battery save mode, so the screen is only displaying when the Varia radar is alerting. I really don’t need to see data while I’m riding.
Old 03-17-24, 02:50 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...I have a couple of these. But they're not much of a distraction.

Old 03-17-24, 09:18 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
You'll have to pry my Garmin from my cold dead fingers.

I like data, I don't give hoot about sharing it. I use Strava, I have maybe 6 followers, none of which probably care or even understand any of the data. I usually have some target metrics for rides. I plan my routes, and I usually have a goal concerning effort based on power. But sometimes, I just ride the route and pay little attention to the power.

I also like the data as while riding I like to do math calculations in my head. Estimating when I will get somewhere, how long it will be to when I get back to where I am now on an out-and-back. That type of thing. That doesn't mean I never notice my surroundings, though of course sometimes I don't.

I'm definitely not obsessed with the numbers, though I do like to see the miles add up as the year progresses.

But I get where the article the OP linked is coming from. If you're tracking data with a big goal to share it with others as some form of validation, then that doesn't sound healthy to me. Sure share race results or other event results, but not everyday rides.
Old 03-17-24, 09:28 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
“One more time with feeling and two part harmony.” Alice’s Restaurant

Last edited by rsbob; 03-17-24 at 09:42 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-18-24, 07:51 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
My most complicated "cockpit." Thank goodness the bell is clearly labeled to avoid any confusion:
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 03-18-24, 08:24 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
A GPS that is recording but not displaying data is effectively no different from not having a GPS there at all.
A light kinda helps to see and be seen when its dark. Safety and whatnot.
A bell kinda helps to be heard when needed. Safety and whatnot.

I did chuckle when I saw which media outlet wrote that article. CyclingWeekly's articles are overloaded with moving banner ads, auto-play videos, mid-article display ads, and a pop-up ad.
I get that they need to make money, but somehow another Cycling website manages to produce quality online and pod content without all this clutter.

Clear your website and more readers will follow.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-18-24, 08:48 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Even my simple Cateye Padrone is a constant reminder I'm not pushing hard enough rather than just enjoying the ride.
Old 03-18-24, 08:50 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
I like to have data recorded, but mostly ignore it while riding. I do look at the temperature once in a while. I may glance at the mileage sometimes or not. Near the end of a ride I may look at the time. I trail ride so I tend to enjoy the woods and the various wildlife. I post so friends know what I am up to, but I mostly mention the weather, the sights, the wildlife spotted, what song was playing in my head, and overall how the ride was. Times and fitness data may come up, but it definitely isn't a central focus.
Old 03-18-24, 09:00 AM
DirePenguin

Bikes: 2014 Trek 8.3 DS, 2022 Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
You'll have to pry my Garmin from my cold dead fingers.
Me, too. Although it’s not to seek validation by sharing, I love having the data right in front of me.

I think, if I’m not at least checking in on my power and heart rate numbers and just “enjoying the ride,” I’m not really going to improve, which is important to me.
Likes For DirePenguin:
Old 03-18-24, 09:01 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
My Garmin default display is simply a clock. I do record and log data, but have little need for it in real time. The Garmin navigation features (maps, error-prone directions) are the other main real-time use (but only in unfamiliar territory). My first Garmin was the 25. I also had the 130. The minimalism is a nice feature.
Old 03-18-24, 09:03 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Ghosterly prevented me from seeing what you are talking about (and trackers can't follow ... ).
Old 03-18-24, 09:33 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
A GPS that is recording but not displaying data is effectively no different from not having a GPS there at all.
Beg to differ. My phone/GPS stays in my jersey pocket out of sight until I need it, e.g. unexpected road construction to detour around, etc.

A bell kinda helps to be heard when needed. Safety and whatnot.
Very handy on the MUP.

I aggressively filter all my internet traffic. I used to run a web site, but the proliferation of spammers/scammers made it too tiresome to maintain.
Old 03-18-24, 09:57 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
A good article and a good reason to have more than one bike.

Two example bikes from my fleet:
  1. Trek Domane AL3 - This one has the GPS and I usually wear a chest strap heart rate monitor when I ride it. I have goals for myself that I want to meet. Trying to get 5k miles this year, for example. I find myself sometimes pushing too hard, and the pulse data displayed on the screen helps. I'm 47; I try to keep it below 180 and usually below 170. Now that I double-check it, I'm pushing a bit too hard: (220 - age) x 90% means I should rarely go over 156, but I'm routinely in the 160s... My max should be 173. On this bike with metrics, I have a sense of accomplishment.
  2. Electra Townie GO! 7D - When I ride my wife's cruiser eBike, I have just as much fun, but a different brand of it. Its only display is a simple LED bar graph showing the level of assist and battery power left. No data on me or the ride at ALL. I also notice when I ride this bike, the upright posture encourages me to look around more, as opposed to having tunnel vision like the forward leaning Domane gives me. By comparison, it's an effort to look around! It is very liberating; reminds me of what it was like to cruise around town on a BMX as a kid.
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 03-18-24, 10:08 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,230 Posts
I did chuckle when I saw which media outlet wrote that article. CyclingWeekly's articles are overloaded with moving banner ads, auto-play videos, mid-article display ads, and a pop-up ad.
I get that they need to make money, but somehow another Cycling website manages to produce quality online and pod content without all this clutter.

When Velonews and Cycling News went 'pay for basic articles'. I left their readership. ¿And I wonder if their views have increased?
I'm a guy who just does not think he should have to pay to read who won Europe's biggest races.
Pick your poison.
Old 03-18-24, 11:58 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Beg to differ. My phone/GPS stays in my jersey pocket out of sight until I need it, e.g. unexpected road construction to detour around, etc.
I meant its effectively no different when it comes to enjoying the ride vs focusing on metrics during the ride. Thats the topic of the article and thread, from what I can tell- unplug and experience in real time.
Yes, having connectivity is nice when you need to reroute mid-ride.
Old 03-18-24, 12:13 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
For me the key is having ridden tens of thousands of miles to the point where the head unit is just something that's there, not something to obsess over. I sometimes ride my C&V bikes without data, but I don't get any feelings of Nirvana from the absence. Admittedly, they look cooler naked.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-18-24, 12:16 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Yep... My Bars are clean. But I have seen worse...

Old 03-18-24, 02:08 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
For me the key is having ridden tens of thousands of miles to the point where the head unit is just something that's there, not something to obsess over. I sometimes ride my C&V bikes without data, but I don't get any feelings of Nirvana from the absence. Admittedly, they look cooler naked.
This, I have small garmin that feeds from my watch, I use it mainly to check HR, especially when it is really hot, and a little bit to look at miles and speed, but it the battery dies (it has short battery life) I don't stress. rest of handle bar has bell and light....nothing need to clear my mind from

Old 03-18-24, 03:11 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Yep... My Bars are clean. But I have seen worse...

Is THAT why mountain bike bars are so wide? I wondered!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.