Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thomas DeGent no fan of hookless…

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Thomas DeGent no fan of hookless…

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-24, 01:38 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Hyperbole aside, the "scare-mongering" and subsequent UCI rule was prompted by some pretty gory injuries in the peloton (no limbs lost but rather ugly cuts down to the bone), and some of the injuries didn't even involve a crash -- they just rubbed against another rider's bike, not that unusual in a race. The sliced up soft tissue injuries were caused by manufacturers leaving a sharp edge on the rotors. Basically, manufacturers were selling a rotating knife with a 90-degree sharp edge.

Manufacturers responded to the UCI rule by doing the absolute minimum: cutting a tiny chamfer on the 90-degree edge to "dull the blade".
I wonder why the rider's union adn/or UCI has never required chain guards to prevent similar injuries from happening on exposed chain rings?
Old 03-06-24, 01:44 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I wonder why the rider's union adn/or UCI has never required chain guards to prevent similar injuries from happening on exposed chain rings?
Probably because those crashes happen going uphill (small chainring) and not too many bone baring crashes have been reported.
Old 03-06-24, 01:50 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Probably because those crashes happen going uphill (small chainring) and not too many bone baring crashes have been reported.
Chains definitely never come off of chainrings during crashes, right? They're like hooked rims... the chain is just absolutely welded on there.

My favorite example is this one, where the injury was clearly from a chainring, but a bunch of pro riders terrified of new technology spouted off on social media about disc brake rotors anyway: https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...-brakes-208497
Old 03-06-24, 02:12 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts

Manufacturers responded to the UCI rule by doing the absolute minimum: cutting a tiny chamfer on the 90-degree edge to "dull the blade".
Was that not enough then?
Old 03-06-24, 02:28 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Was that not enough then?
It certainly was enough to satisfy the UCI. Not so sure it has satisfied the injury lawyers.

Old 03-06-24, 02:32 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Chains definitely never come off of chainrings during crashes, right? They're like hooked rims... the chain is just absolutely welded on there.

My favorite example is this one, where the injury was clearly from a chainring, but a bunch of pro riders terrified of new technology spouted off on social media about disc brake rotors anyway: https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...-brakes-208497
If the pro riders are the ones that want something investigated, then it needs to be investigated.
Old 03-06-24, 02:43 PM
msu2001la

It certainly was enough to satisfy the UCI. Not so sure it has satisfied the injury lawyers.

You're not seriously contending that disc brakes are causing injuries, are you?
The cycling media and pro riders don't talk about it anymore, so either the UCI rule worked, or the concern was never real to begin with. Or they all got checks from Big Disc.
Old 03-06-24, 02:57 PM
PeteHski

Well none of the discs on my bikes appear to have a chamfer, so I guess it wasn’t a major issue outside of mass peloton pile-ups.
Old 03-06-24, 03:03 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by seypat
If the pro riders are the ones that want something investigated, then it needs to be investigated.
I'm not sure I entirely agree with that, but sure... investigate. I still don't understand why it needs to be urgent?
It's not like this is a new phenomenon. Riders (including a few at the very top of the sport) have been using hookless rims for a few years now.
Old 03-06-24, 03:05 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

You're not seriously contending that disc brakes are causing injuries, are you?
People get injured on bikes every day, and lawyers are at the ready to get them money. If they can show a defective product, like the brakes, sometimes they get money from manufacturers' insurance companies. It's a big industry.

Here's just one: The Lyon Firm -- Defective Bicycles

"An experienced product liability lawyer can assist in evaluating the root cause of the failure. To build a compelling case, there must be evidence that the design of the bike was defective, a manufacturing defect existed, or the manufacturer was negligent in the manner in which the bike was tested or sold.

"
The Lyon Firm works with design engineers and metallurgists to determine the root cause of the bike failure to trace the defect back to a design or manufacturing source."Compensation may be awarded for incurred and future medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, as well as punitive damages against a manufacturer for conscious disregard for the safety of consumers."

Old 03-06-24, 03:12 PM
msu2001la

People get injured on bikes every day, and lawyers are at the ready to get them money. If they can show a defective product, like the brakes, sometimes they get money from manufacturers' insurance companies. It's a big industry.

Here's just one: The Lyon Firm -- Defective Bicycles

"An experienced product liability lawyer can assist in evaluating the root cause of the failure. To build a compelling case, there must be evidence that the design of the bike was defective, a manufacturing defect existed, or the manufacturer was negligent in the manner in which the bike was tested or sold.

"
The Lyon Firm works with design engineers and metallurgists to determine the root cause of the bike failure to trace the defect back to a design or manufacturing source."Compensation may be awarded for incurred and future medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, as well as punitive damages against a manufacturer for conscious disregard for the safety of consumers."
The pro peloton is 100% disc brakes now, and despite many massive pileups there are no reports of disc brakes causing the horrific injuries that pro riders once feared.

Is this because the UCI adopted a rule that requires a minuscule chamfer on the edge of the rotor, or because disc brakes were never really a problem to begin with?

Either way, responding to this conversation with links to an injury lawyer's website makes absolutely no sense.
Old 03-06-24, 03:19 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Either way, responding to this conversation with links to an injury lawyer's website makes absolutely no sense.
It makes sense, and it is on topic.

I wrote that the manufacturers' fix may not have satisfied the injury lawyers, was challenged, so I provided an example of such an injury lawyer who is ready to take up an injured cyclist's case.

So the claim that this contribution "makes absolutely no sense" is in itself nonsensical.

Old 03-06-24, 03:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
Hyperbole aside, the "scare-mongering" and subsequent UCI rule was prompted by some pretty gory injuries in the peloton (no limbs lost but rather ugly cuts down to the bone), and some of the injuries didn't even involve a crash -- they just rubbed against another rider's bike, not that unusual in a race. The sliced up soft tissue injuries were caused by manufacturers leaving a sharp edge on the rotors. Basically, manufacturers were selling a rotating knife with a 90-degree sharp edge.

So you're saying I shouldn't repurpose old circular saw blades as brake discs?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-06-24, 03:32 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by genejockey
So you're saying I shouldn't repurpose old circular saw blades as brake discs?
Is you real name Ben Hur, or maybe Mad Max?

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-06-24, 04:37 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
Is you real name Ben Hur, or maybe Mad Max?
I prefer "The Lord Humugus"...

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-06-24, 06:58 PM
PeteHski

It makes sense, and it is on topic.

I wrote that the manufacturers' fix may not have satisfied the injury lawyers, was challenged, so I provided an example of such an injury lawyer who is ready to take up an injured cyclist's case.

So the claim that this contribution "makes absolutely no sense" is in itself nonsensical.
I didn’t see any reference to disc brake rotor injuries on that lawyer’s website. Did I miss something there?
Old 03-06-24, 07:11 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I'm one of those guys who reaches speeds of over 50 mph on descents, regularly. My regular 18 continuous miles of mountain descent is in a rock strewn canyon.
​​I watch carefully and often stop to sweep or carry rocks off the shoulder of the road. My bikes all have 25mm IW hookless rims and 28/30mm tires running no more than 55psi. I'm not worried about the hookless rims. All of my carbon wheelsets are from BTLOS. They charge the same price for hooked or hookless wheelsets. Take your pick. Mine all cost under $800, delivered. I also select no spoke access holes, so no rim tape required.

https://btlos.com/all-road/ar-clinch...-carbon-wheels
The website lists the WARL49 and WARLC49 wheelsets as both weighing 1364.8 +/-- 25 g as well as being tubeless compatible and available with Smooth Inside Wall Technology. What advantage does the hookless version offer over the hooked version?
Old 03-06-24, 08:20 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I know you weren't trying to be funny...But this post is hilarious.
Found the dolphin
Old 03-06-24, 08:51 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Found the dolphin
More humor! I love it! The fact that you’re dead wrong only makes it funnier.
Old 03-07-24, 12:38 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
More humor! I love it! The fact that you’re dead wrong only makes it funnier.
Oh no.... Dolphin mad... Gaagaaaa... Gaagaaaa....
Old 03-07-24, 11:21 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
The website lists the WARL49 and WARLC49 wheelsets as both weighing 1364.8 +/-- 25 g as well as being tubeless compatible and available with Smooth Inside Wall Technology. What advantage does the hookless version offer over the hooked version?
The WARC49 is just the hooked version of the WARL49. Both have the same 31mm external width, but the hooked version has a 24mm internal width, instead of 25mm. If you're worried about hookless, that's what you should buy. I'm skeptical that it will make any difference if you're traveling 50 mph and have a major puncture. I've been riding high speed descents in Colorado since 2003. I'm not worried about it.

https://btlos.com/all-road/ar-clinch...arbon-wheelset
Old 03-07-24, 11:46 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3955 Post(s)
Liked 7,303 Times in 2,948 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
The WARC49 is just the hooked version of the WARL49. Both have the same 31mm external width, but the hooked version has a 24mm internal width, instead of 25mm. If you're worried about hookless, that's what you should buy. I'm skeptical that it will make any difference if you're traveling 50 mph and have a major puncture. I've been riding high speed descents in Colorado since 2003. I'm not worried about it.
I think you missed his question. If the two versions cost and weigh the same, what is the advantage of buying the hookless version?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-07-24, 12:26 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Odd. The website definitely shows a weight difference between WGX35A and WGXL35A wheelsets that are otherwise identically spec'd. Its a 30g weight difference between hooked and hookless. Price is the same regardless of hook or hookless.

Anyways, I still agree with your question of what is the advantage in this specific instance(BTLOS). I just purchased some BTLOS wheels in January and got hooked rims because I dont have the interest to think about potential compatibility or psi. 30g or 1mm of internal width differences are not important to me at all though.
I guess if someone genuinely thinks 1mm of internal width is important when the profile is already modern(wide), then it makes sense to value that. I struggle to see when that would actually be important though.
Old 03-07-24, 12:30 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I didn't miss the question. If you're a believer, then you'll be certain that your tire will never come off. No one has ever had a tire come off a hooked rim - absolutely can't happen, right?
Old 03-07-24, 12:33 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
What I learned from this thread is just how many people around here are tighter than a dolphin's ass, so cheap with money that they're willing to increase the risk to their own safety for the sake of saving a few bucks.
This is a curious takeaway.

You are calling people cheap and claiming they are motivated by saving a few bucks when the topic is aftermarket performance wheels that are in the top 20% of potential aftermarket wheel costs.
I get what you are claiming, that even when it comes to an expensive luxury item, the cost difference between two options is whats motivating people, but I really dont think that is the case.

- its already been shown that very few options even exist where there is an option to buy a wheel in hooked and hookless, the hooked costs more, and the lower cost is why people buy the hookless option.
- its already been shown that a popular up and coming wheel brand offers rims and wheel builds in hooked and hookless for the same price, so lower cost isnt why people buy the hookless option.

Dont let reality get in the way of a good misinterpretation of the issue though.
Likes For mstateglfr:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.