Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help me choose a bike!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Which bike offers the best value?
All-City
37.50%
Fuji Jari 2.5
12.50%
Jamis Coda Elite
0%
Fuji Jari 2.1
0%
Breezer
12.50%
Other (please specify with link)
37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Help me choose a bike!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-18, 11:20 PM
Kma335

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help me choose a bike!

Hello everyone!

I've narrowed down my search for a bike, and would like some advice/recommendations on them.

Information on use: I'll be mainly using this for exercise/commuting/fun. I'll probably ride anywhere between 5-20 miles per trip.

My preferences: a drop bar, steel frame, and disc brakes.

I've narrowed it down to 4 bikes, and will be looking to try them all in person at local bike shops. However, to save some time, I'd like some help from the community on which bike has better parts/better value. (I'm relatively new to the hobby and have no knowledge whatsoever on parts.)

Fuji Jari 2.5 $749.99. https://kozy.com/product/fuji-jari-2.5-311663-1.htm

Fuji Jari 2.1 $899.99. https://kozy.com/product/fuji-jari-2.1-311661-1.htm

Breezer Radar Expert Gravel Bike $919.99. Breezer Radar Expert Gravel Bike - 2018 - Performance Bike

Bianchi Volpe $1,500. https://www.bianchiusa.com/archives/2...ad/volpe-disc/

Other recommendations are welcome. Thanks for your time!

Last edited by Kma335; 02-28-18 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-28-18, 12:24 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
The Macho Man is a frameset only. I didn't look at the coda since you said you wanted drop bar. The Jari 2.1 has components that are 2 (I think) levels better than the 2.5.

You didn't mention your budget, but compare gravel bikes like Jamis Renegade, Salsa Vaya and Specialized Diverge/Sequoia. All manufactures have them now.
Old 02-28-18, 01:01 AM
Kma335

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah thanks for pointing that out. Scratch the All-city!

I'd ideally like to spend under $1,000. The Bianchi I can get for under 1k, and I included the Jamis cause it seems to have a better frame/parts minus the drop bar, and I'm thinking about converting it to a drop bar (not sure if the additional cost would be worth it though).

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by Kma335; 02-28-18 at 01:06 AM.
Old 02-28-18, 06:43 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7665 Post(s)
Liked 3,524 Times in 1,857 Posts
Converting to drop bar would cost have the sale price of the bike. Forget it.

if it were me, i would go one of two ways:

A.) and B.) Definitely go for the best groupset. For Shimano, 105, for Sram, whateve rthe equivalent.

A.) get the best groupset at the lowest price and plan to buy some Vuelta wheels later on.

B.) look for the best groupset and best wheels for the price.

I was looking at the Yari and Really liked it but I figured I would need to buy the bike and then buy a new wheelset because it came with a total gravel setup and I would want skinnier slicks for the road.

However, I have since ridden with people who ride their gravel bikes on group rides and keep up just fine. Maybe I missed out.
Old 02-28-18, 08:45 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
I'd go with the Other bike. Always comes in the right color, sizing, gearing, handlebars, components and even comes stock with pedals and a saddle you'll love.
Old 02-28-18, 09:30 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
EDIT: Missed the steel part, bike removed

As others have said, nix the idea of converting flat to drop. I'm doing that right now, it is not a process you want to go through.

Originally Posted by Maelochs
However, I have since ridden with people who ride their gravel bikes on group rides and keep up just fine. Maybe I missed out.
Mentioned it in another thread going on right now, but I don't really feel mine gives up much speed to my skinny road bike. The comfort it offers actually keeps me wanting to stay on the bike longer. I've got 35mm Clement USH on it, which roll like a dream on all surfaces.

Last edited by jefnvk; 02-28-18 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-28-18, 10:56 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I'd only list the ones in the local bike ship you can test ride, not just find posted on the internet .

so edit your list to only include those.
Old 02-28-18, 11:15 AM
Kma335

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Edited my post and took out the Jamis Coda and All-City.

@fletsbob, I actually have access to all of these bikes at local shops, so trying them won't be a problem.

Will be testing out the Bianchi and the Fuji's today, will keep everyone posted!
Old 02-28-18, 11:18 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6251 Post(s)
Liked 4,851 Times in 3,344 Posts
If you don't have a lot of experience with the fit of various brands then I'd recommend you buy only what you can sit on and test ride. Then get the one that fits you best. If a toss up, then the one with the better component group. If still as tie, then aesthetics like paint and styling.
Old 02-28-18, 11:51 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I'd remove the steel requirement and just get whatever material is offered. Some interesting gravel/adventure bikes (in addition to your list) are:

Raleigh Willard 2 $1099.99
https://www.raleighusa.com/willard-136192

Diamondback Haanjo 3 $949.99
https://www.diamondback.com/road-bik...ravel/haanjo-3

Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro $999
Save Up to 60% Off Disc Brake Cross Bikes SRAM Rival Cyclocross | Cross Bikes, Road Bikes - Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro

Salsa Vaya Claris $899.93
https://www.rei.com/product/124510/s...ya-claris-bike

GT Grade Alloy Comp $899.99
Grade Alloy Comp - Enduroad - Pavement - Bikes - 2018

Kona Rove $849
KONA BIKES | ROAD | ROVE | Rove

Specialized Diverge E5 $1000
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...=239514-129184

Masi CXGR $929.99
https://masibikes.com/collections/gr...ucts/cxgr-2018

Jamis Renegade Explore $999
Renegade® Explore

You'll need to have a good idea of your size if you take the plunge without a test ride. I got ideas for most of the above from this article:

https://www.cyclingabout.com/complete-list-of-all-road-gravel-grinder-adventure-road-bikes/

If I were in your shoes, I would also consider local used bikes as well. You can often get better deals and can try to skip the shipping if its local enough to drive to. Also, I would consider non-disc cyclocross/gravel/adventure bikes as well to widen the search a bit. I doubt mechanical disc is that much of a step up from rim brakes. If you're talking about hydraulic disc, then that's another story. But you aren't going to get hydraulic on $1000 bikes (unless its used).

Last edited by ptempel; 02-28-18 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-28-18, 12:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,059 Times in 2,707 Posts
Jamis Renegade Exploit or Expat (don't go with the aluminum version not really worth it especially the lowest end version) both are steel frame with a carbon fork and the Expat gets nicer steel and better component spec.
Also the Specialized Sequoia Elite is an excellent bike, starts out with decently wide tires and can fit wider, steel frame carbon fork and good upper mid level components

I would generally avoid Claris and Sora and any bike you cannot try. Fuji is owned by ASI which now owns Performance one of the worst shops out there (I know a lot of folks who have worked there and I have also been in there a bunch of times myself). I think Fuji's quality has been suffering in before this but I think it will only continue on the downhill slope, sadly.

I would also not be afraid to look above your stated price point if you think you really want to get into this and want a really decent bike. $1000 will certainly get your foot in the door and is not a bad place to start but below that and component quality can suffer and sometimes the frame as well because the company might go with aluminum vs steel or use lower grade steels. Buying a bike and upgrading later is an expensive proposition where as getting a decent bike you really don't need to upgrade is the cheaper way to go. All of these major manufacturers of bikes are buying components in massive quantities so they get major discounts that someone buying one groupset is not going to get.

Go on a bunch of test rides and see what works best. Maybe take notes on each bike on what you liked and didn't like minus of course any notes about saddles as they are something worth factoring out because every butt is different and it is hard to tell what saddle will work in a short test ride you really need to put miles on it to know.
Old 02-28-18, 01:15 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7665 Post(s)
Liked 3,524 Times in 1,857 Posts
Despite what some folks think, there is nothing wrong with aluminum frames. Despite what some other folks think, there is nothing wrong with steel frames.

Nothing wrong with CF either.

Regardless of what some folks fear ... i have not actually Seen any loss of quality in Fujis recently ... and I recently shopped for the same sort of bike you are looking for and bought a Fuji Sportif. it has not exploded, nor has ti crept off the rack and murdered me in my sleep---even though it has an aluminum frame.

As far a money goes ... i always advise buying as much hardware as you can afford, because you will probably be stuck with it for a few years. if you can afford more than $1000, spend it.

But if you cannot, there are plenty of decent bikes out there for less. Sora and Tiagra are actually really good group sets ... based on experience as well as what many people here who own them have said.

Buy the best you can afford. But unless you go to Wallyworld you won't get a bad bike.
Old 02-28-18, 02:27 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Go with the Bianchi. Beautiful bike, well set up, will last a lifetime and will keep a great resell value.
Old 02-28-18, 02:51 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Same dealer or different dealers?

At a price point I doubt you'll find much functional difference among different bike brands. Dealerships vary much more so you might as well buy from somebody that you like.
Old 02-28-18, 07:45 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 722 Posts
I have ridden the GT Grade and liked it very much and found it worthy of consideration. Built my own frame instead, however the geometry is nearly the same. Certainly worth the time to find a dealer and test ride.
Old 03-01-18, 12:31 AM
pabst_my_prime

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interested to see what you decide on. I'm looking at similar bikes myself
Old 03-01-18, 11:28 AM
Kma335

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everyone,

Here's an update! I tried on a few bikes that fit my requirements at some local bike shops, and decided on the 2018 Bianchi Volpe Disc. Managed to get it for $800 (MSRP 1,500 ~46% off), which I think is pretty reasonable.

I'll be swapping out for a slightly wider drop bar and possibly extending out the stem. Haven't decided on flat vs clipless pedals yet, but I'll see what they have. I'll be posting pictures once everything is fitted and assembled.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited by Kma335; 03-01-18 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-01-18, 11:48 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
1st pick the bike shop, then get a bike there.. Best service after the sale is a +..
Old 03-01-18, 08:55 PM
fixedweasel

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The fit is the most important. If there are/is more than one bike on there who(se) measurements mimic your well fit bike now, than go with the best groupset. Honestly, the fact is, almost every single bike is made in the same factories with the same excellent quality (this very well includes any Chinese Carbon). The only difference is a slight tweak in design and a different "badged" Manufacturers name on the downtube. China and Taiwan have been making bikes for decades and they are very very good at it. They have it down, so don't be afraid to buy an unbadged or off brand named frameset*. That Bianchi for $1500 is inferior to the Motobecane. A steel frame with a cheap steel fork combined with a cheap(er) groupset. The Motobecane comes with an alloy frame, carbon fork (albeit alloy steerer), and an almost complete Rival 11 speed group (FSA chainset). It also has Avid BB7's which will stop you just fine and are terribly easy to set up and work on. All for $500+ LESS. Not even close. It baffles me why folks get so hung up on a Manufacturers name. Treks (lower/mid and some high(er) end)/Fuji/Bianchi/Cannondale/Jamis/Raleigh/etc/etc/etc/etc.** are all made in China or Taiwan. It doesn't matter with this/mid or even higher range bikes. The Groupset DOES matter. That is something that you most definitely can upgrade for even less cash out of your wallet if you don't mind not having a "Name Brand". Also, wheelsets apply to this as well in this range. They are basically the same quality in this range across the board.

*Performance/Nashbar/Motobecane (Bikes Direct)
**etc/etc/etc
Old 03-01-18, 11:01 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11015 Post(s)
Liked 7,560 Times in 4,220 Posts
Originally Posted by fixedweasel
Honestly, the fact is, almost every single bike is made in the same factories with the same excellent quality (this very well includes any Chinese Carbon). The only difference is a slight tweak in design and a different "badged" Manufacturers name on the downtube. China and Taiwan have been making bikes for decades and they are very very good at it. They have it down, so don't be afraid to buy an unbadged or off brand named frameset*.

It baffles me why folks get so hung up on a Manufacturers name. Treks (lower/mid and some high(er) end)/Fuji/Bianchi/Cannondale/Jamis/Raleigh/etc/etc/etc/etc.** are all made in China or Taiwan. It doesn't matter with this/mid or even higher range bikes
That baffles you, and what baffles me is that there are somr posters who actually suggest that since most frames are built in a couple countries, they are all the same quality.
2 frames can be built at the same facility and be different quality finish if the pricepoints are different.

Same thing happens in every country's manufacturing industry.

Car companies build nice and very nice cars in the same plants. Different quality deoending on price, same plant.
Private label food companies make different quality granola bars based on...pricepoint. Same facility, same product, different quality depending on the buyer's needs and pricepoint.

Meeting a pricepoint varies from brand to brand and manufacturers meet said price points by allowijg quality to vary.

It isnt as simple as saying, 'all bikes coming out of Taiwan are going to be good because they have a good process.'
Old 03-02-18, 06:51 AM
cityjim

Bikes: Brompton M3L, Focus Cayo 2005, Giant Alu Boulder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey I'm looking at the same bike in the UK. Also marked down in price.
Am thinking of using it as a commuter, what do you think? Is it heavy? Do you suffer from salt on roads where you are and does this concern you?
Old 03-02-18, 09:07 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
He's in the chiraq area, where they use more salt than asphalt!

Wow, a great bike, especially for what you paid!

Congrats
Old 03-02-18, 01:36 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Kma335
Here's an update! I tried on a few bikes that fit my requirements at some local bike shops, and decided on the 2018 Bianchi Volpe Disc. Managed to get it for $800 (MSRP 1,500 ~46% off), which I think is pretty reasonable.
Good to go! Post up some pics when you get the chance. Would assume that its similar to this:

Old 03-02-18, 01:38 PM
fixedweasel

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Car companies build nice and very nice cars in the same plants. Different quality deoending on price, same plant.

Apples to apples my friend. Let's take a Toyota Corolla for instance. You will get excellent quality (engine/drivetrain/rust prevention/etc.) with EVERY TRIM level. The different price points are only related to upgrading the TRIM level (Base Model/LX/EX).

Now take the same bikes described above. They are all within the "same" price point. Because of this, those framesets are of basic equal quality for that RANGE and they are ALL built right next to each other on those assembly lines. The frame materials are basically the same* with the same quality of welds, butts, etc. The difference in price is reflected by the GROUPSET or "trim level" if you want to call it that. Thus, you can get the same quality frameset with a better groupset for a better price going with an unbranded name. Please, I've had hundreds of bikes/framesets pass through my hands and worked on tons of "branded" and "unbranded" bikes as well as ridden both at several "trim levels". I have to go by years of knowledge and experience, not by an opinion that has no evidence base. Let's give the posters on here good solid advice based on fact. That's why we are here.

Now, yes, you cannot compare a high end bike to these bikes. The materials and quality will most definitely be better with a "high" end frame. But when you go apples to apples, you again come up with the same outcome. I've had a Cervelo S3 and several Chinese Full carbon Fiber framesets (both road and track) and there is no doubt after years of use, these things most definitely rival the "high end" badged Manufacturers bikes. I've seen it all too well with other guys on the road/track as well.

Another example. Take a Manufacturers same frameset and compare it to the same frameset offered at a higher price point by that company. The only reason that particular bike is more expensive is because of the upgraded Groupset that was placed on it. The higher price point matters not a lick to the quality of the frameset. It's the same exact one for cripes sake.

So, the best bang for the buck is the Motobecane. Hands down. Whether someone decides to buy something else because they like the other bike better (color/whatnot) is up to them. But let's keep the information given to folks solid.

*with exception to the Bianchi which has a cheaper material to build with a crap fork
Old 03-02-18, 04:33 PM
Kma335

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here it is! Very comfortable and fun to ride, and I'm having a blast with it so far.

In terms of the salt here in Chicago and its effect on the bike: No idea how it would fare but I don't really plan on riding it when the streets need to be salted. That said, I'm not quite sure how often I should be cleaning/maintaining the bike, and hopefully people here can help fill me in on that.

For those of you interested in purchasing this bike, I'll do my best to explain why I went with this one:

- It was very comfortable to ride and the fit was perfect. A huge upgrade from my high-school Target bike .

- It fits all my needs (commuting, lakefront trails, joy rides, etc.) and was well under my $1,000 limit.

- I've never heard of Bianchi until two weeks ago, and in that time I've seen 40 year old Bianchi's that were still in great working condition. This was one of the main reasons why I hovered toward this brand.

- I'm not going into competitive racing, nor do I plan to in the future. For this reason, I felt I didn't need any fancy carbon or aluminum parts.

- Steel: This offered the best comfort and longevity compared to the other materials (price-wise). I tried a few carbon/aluminum bikes, but
those were $200+ what I paid for the Volpe.

- I love the simplistic design of the Volpe that doesn't scream attention.

- Customer Service: Not directly related, but the bike shop I worked with knew I needed a wider drop bar, longer stem, and dual purpose
pedals. They swapped them out in about an hour and it was done meticulously and for a great price. I know I can trust their services in the
future, and they kindly threw in a Kryptonite Evolution U-Lock and a Kryptonite F-135, R-14 light kit.

I only looked at bikes that I could actually try in store. Motobecane bikes are great, but I'm not a huge fan of their appearances and I can't try them in person.

Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase and I look forward to using it for many years to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3299.jpg (454.8 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by Kma335; 03-02-18 at 05:18 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.