Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What Could Cause These Slices In My Front Tire

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What Could Cause These Slices In My Front Tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-22, 03:30 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,230 Posts
A clean drivetrain is the place to put the priority.
But Miami (FL?) means a certain risk, without a high level of detail & care.
Old 03-21-22, 09:42 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Don't forget to do the squeeze test. Let some air out then squeeze your tire to check for hidden wear.
Old 03-22-22, 05:23 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by Straightbangin
The more photos I take the more I realize I need to scrub my bike. It's so filthy. I'm a neat freak so it's kind of weird that I've let my bike at that dirty. Anyway.. I was checking the clearance around the tire and it has a lot of clearance in every direction. There's more clearance than I could capture in the photo. I biked around a little and watched the tire, walked it and watched the tire, spun the tire when it was upsidedown and it's not completely true but barely untrue. I haven't even had the front brakes connected in about 4 or 5 months because I haven't wanted to deal with them. I thought maybe they were bouncing around and hitting the tire or something but after wiggling them they're pretty much seized open and stuck for the most part until I get around to cleaning and lubing everything there. I'm good with airing up the tires regularly as well as cleaning and lubing the chain but pretty much everything else seems to be falling to the wayside. When the new tire arrives I'm going to have to deep clean everything while the bad one is off. Also the elbow or noodle or whatever it's called above the tire in the photo isn't moving around at all. I really don't ride any place crazy just the street and perfectly paved flat trails. Also the tire looks off center in the photo but it's just the bike and camera angle. Right now I'm going to chalk it up to extremely cheap crappy warranty tires as you guys have said could have just sat somewhere and not being properly stored for far too long.

That's most likely a manufacturing defect on a 3 month old tire. I'd contact the manufacturer.
Old 03-22-22, 06:58 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
maybe the tire had been in the warehouse for a long time and they shipped it to you
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 03-22-22, 07:36 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
What are you riding through? It looks like tar and solvents being deposited on your frame... chemicals can be tough on tires too.
Old 03-22-22, 08:40 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
The more photos I take the more I realize I need to scrub my bike. It's so filthy. I'm a neat freak so it's kind of weird that I've let my bike at that dirty. Anyway.. I was checking the clearance around the tire and it has a lot of clearance in every direction. There's more clearance than I could capture in the photo. I biked around a little and watched the tire, walked it and watched the tire, spun the tire when it was upsidedown and it's not completely true but barely untrue. I haven't even had the front brakes connected in about 4 or 5 months because I haven't wanted to deal with them. I thought maybe they were bouncing around and hitting the tire or something but after wiggling them they're pretty much seized open and stuck for the most part until I get around to cleaning and lubing everything there. I'm good with airing up the tires regularly as well as cleaning and lubing the chain but pretty much everything else seems to be falling to the wayside. When the new tire arrives I'm going to have to deep clean everything while the bad one is off. Also the elbow or noodle or whatever it's called above the tire in the photo isn't moving around at all. I really don't ride any place crazy just the street and perfectly paved flat trails. Also the tire looks off center in the photo but it's just the bike and camera angle. Right now I'm going to chalk it up to extremely cheap crappy warranty tires as you guys have said could have just sat somewhere and not being properly stored for far too long.

Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-22-22, 12:33 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I haven't even had the front brakes connected in about 4 or 5 months because I haven't wanted to deal with them.
You really shouldn't be riding with only one brake if you can avoid it (and especially not just the rear, since the front does most of the work). If you ever need to stop quickly and you pulled really hard on your ONE brake and something breaks (like the brake cable end in the lever which has broken on me twice in 7 years), it'll mean you'll have no brakes at all, which might not end well for you.
Old 03-22-22, 12:52 PM
Bimmer69

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
Looks like the replacement was from a QA reject bin.
Likes For Bimmer69:
Old 03-22-22, 06:08 PM
Straightbangin

Bikes: Liv Alight 2, Kent Ridgeline, Huffy Cranbrook, Schwinn Sidewinder

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
That's most likely a manufacturing defect on a 3 month old tire. I'd contact the manufacturer.
Thanks it was a warranty part to replace a rim that was not true when I bought the bike. I wasn't expecting a new tire just a new rim but it came with a new tire. the tire wasn't even the same color as the tire that came with the bike and it was slightly different size as well LOL but hey it was a free new tire so I guess I can't complain too much. I've just never seen wear so quickly like this and couldn't imagine what caused it. Was hoping to figure it out so I can prevent it from happening again but it just does just seem like a crappy and possibly improperly stored tire
Old 03-22-22, 06:08 PM
Straightbangin

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
maybe the tire had been in the warehouse for a long time and they shipped it to you

Yep probably were laying in a pile out in the sun LOL

Last edited by Straightbangin; 03-23-22 at 03:49 AM.
Old 03-22-22, 06:15 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I agree with the others, looks like the tires are dry-rotting and cracking. I would not ride with those tires. One cut may not be bad but multiple cuts and tire separation is no bueno.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 03-22-22, 08:35 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Buy an inexpensive new tire - or maybe two that match? They can be had for cheap unless you're a prima donna rider like many of us who demand the best subtle qualities that very few can actually sense and many fewer actually need.

It seems like yours might have worn out quickly, but expensive doesn't always = durable. Do a little web searching, or just go and buy a tire.
Old 03-23-22, 03:47 AM
Straightbangin

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
What are you riding through? It looks like tar and solvents being deposited on your frame... chemicals can be tough on tires too.

Just street and paved path. I think it's dripped coffee and dirt together LOL
Old 03-23-22, 03:48 AM
Straightbangin

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
You really shouldn't be riding with only one brake if you can avoid it (and especially not just the rear, since the front does most of the work). If you ever need to stop quickly and you pulled really hard on your ONE brake and something breaks (like the brake cable end in the lever which has broken on me twice in 7 years), it'll mean you'll have no brakes at all, which might not end well for you.

I know. I really need to get on it. When the new tire arrives I'm going to spend some time cleaning and working on this bike. Thank you
Old 03-23-22, 03:50 AM
Straightbangin

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Buy an inexpensive new tire - or maybe two that match? They can be had for cheap unless you're a prima donna rider like many of us who demand the best subtle qualities that very few can actually sense and many fewer actually need.

It seems like yours might have worn out quickly, but expensive doesn't always = durable. Do a little web searching, or just go and buy a tire.

Thanks.. I ordered a new one the day I posted all of this . it should be arriving in the next couple of days
Likes For Straightbangin:
Old 03-23-22, 11:10 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
...spend some time cleaning and working on this bike. Thank you
Fun, FUn, FUN! Then ride, Ride, RIDE!

There is nothing on this bike ya can't do yourself... And have fun doing it...