Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Will Fix-a-flat get you home?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-24, 08:18 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts

I was in Home Depot and noticed the cans of Fix-a-flat. If it is designed to fix up a car tire, it seems like it might fix a flat bike tire pretty easily. Does anyone have experience with this product? It is available in lots of stores. I have tubes and schrader valves on my bike, but I am open to any thoughts.
Old 02-22-24, 08:20 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
I think a co2 inflator will take up less room in a saddle bag.

Old 02-22-24, 08:38 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Are you having a lot of flats? A new inner tube and CO2 inflator or good frame pump will probably serve you better. There is a limit to how big a hole that stuff can fix. And while a new tube won't fix a tire with a big cut or hole in it, a new tube and a improvised boot will.
Old 02-22-24, 08:43 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Please do.
We need a pre and post video account of its effectiveness.
Who knows?

For the record, I would not even use this product on a flat car tire without a tube because of the mess it makes and getting a tire shop to patch/plug the puncture will not happen. You will be advised to purchase a new tire.
Old 02-22-24, 09:16 AM
ScottCommutes

Originally Posted by Iride01
Are you having a lot of flats? A new inner tube and CO2 inflator or good frame pump will probably serve you better. There is a limit to how big a hole that stuff can fix.
I'm not having a lot of flats, and I carry spare tubes and a pump. That, as you say, a better solution.
I see Fix-a-flat as a potential emergency solution. Not to carry around, but if you need it, it's available at a big box store, gas station, convenience store - lots of places.
Old 02-22-24, 09:56 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
I would recommend first off getting good tires and making sure you have a good rim strip and all of that. Then before my ride I would make sure my tire is properly inflated and in my saddle bag I have a tube and a tire lever (or however many you desire) and a pump or at least some method of inflation. Then I wouldn't worry about messes or gimmicks from a place that doesn't actually deal in bicycles and bicycle equipment on a serious level (yes I know wally-mart sells Bell branded crap and things that look like bikes...)

I have a feeling that if I used that product on a car tire it would be an unmitigated disaster and a huge mess and would cost me more money having to replace the tire or remove it and clean it and all of that it isn't worth it.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-22-24, 10:27 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
They make a similar product to fix a flat for cycling. I can’t remember the name, sorry

edit to add

sized for cycling

Last edited by Bmach; 02-23-24 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-22-24, 10:33 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
They make a similar product to fix a flat for cycling. I can’t remember the name, sorry
Does Green Slime ring any bells? Never used it.

Old 02-23-24, 01:04 AM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Does Green Slime ring any bells? Never used it.
I used "Slime" filled inner tubes when i lived in goathead infested Bakersfield, Cal. The stuff was great. There were times, mostly in the fall when a fresh crop of goathead thorns littered the roads, when I would get a dozen hypodermic needle sized punctures. "Slime" fixed it in a jiff. It was a life saver. I don't live there now so it is not the issue it was.
Old 02-23-24, 05:07 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,570 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
I'm not having a lot of flats, and I carry spare tubes and a pump. That, as you say, a better solution.
I see Fix-a-flat as a potential emergency solution. Not to carry around, but if you need it, it's available at a big box store, gas station, convenience store - lots of places.
What potential emergency situation?
Old 02-23-24, 08:31 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
Here's one version:
Old 02-23-24, 08:36 AM
ScottCommutes

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I'm not sure why that matters. You flat both tires, your pump breaks, you packed the wrong size spare tube, you can't find the bit of staple because it's cold and dark and you keep getting flats, somebody messed with your stuff - whatever. I can just see a situation where you don't have what you need and you're not close to a bike store, but you are close to someplace that sells Fix-a-flat.
Old 02-23-24, 08:45 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I'm not sure why that matters. You flat both tires, your pump breaks, you packed the wrong size spare tube, you can't find the bit of staple because it's cold and dark and you keep getting flats, somebody messed with your stuff - whatever. I can just see a situation where you don't have what you need and you're not close to a bike store, but you are close to someplace that sells Fix-a-flat.
In that kind of situation, anything is fair game to try. I haven't been able to find it, but one member here posted a pic of a tire and wheel they wrapped with duct tape to get them home. Never been certain why they'd go for a ride with a roll of duct tape in their bag. But maybe like your proposed situation, they were near a convenience store and that's what they had.
Old 02-23-24, 09:01 AM
indyfabz

What good would the stuff do if your pump breaks?

Heh. I finally figured out what flim clip your post reminds me of.

Last edited by indyfabz; 02-23-24 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-23-24, 09:11 AM
WaveyGravey

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
Would this stuff ruin the tire and tube?
Old 02-23-24, 09:12 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 373 Posts
Emergency? near a big box store? I'm sure there is cell service and UBER. I once had to fill a 26x2 tire full of twigs and leaves to get me back from the middle of nowhere (it's amazing how nuch it takes to fill that little void) I tried grass first, but that only made pulpy wheat grass juice after a mile or two.
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 02-23-24, 09:16 AM
ScottCommutes

What good would the stuff do if your pump breaks?
I assumed that it inflates the tire as it seals. I have never used the stuff so I don't know for sure. I would have to read the can.
Old 02-23-24, 09:19 AM
ScottCommutes

Originally Posted by WaveyGravey
Would this stuff ruin the tire and tube?
I would scrap the tube anyway after a puncture - many don't. The tire isn't likely to be ruined because the gunk is supposed to seal the puncture and stay in the tube. Having never tried it, I don't know. Scrapping a tube isn't a big deal.
Old 02-23-24, 09:25 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 373 Posts
I assumed that it inflates the tire as it seals. I have never used the stuff so I don't know for sure. I would have to read the can.
Yes, it's designed to inflate and seal, not sure how much pressure it would get to on a bike tire, it gets to mid to high 20s in car tires.
The issue is that it may or may not seal based on the size and shape of the hole(s) on the tire, and you won't know until you try, and if it doesn't, then what? If you are near a big box (or just as thought experiment), you could use expanding foam, allowing for it to vent, and then trim with a blade, in either case, don't bring it to a LBS after and not mention what you did, makes mechanic turn green and rip out of his clothes.
Old 02-23-24, 09:27 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
Emergency? near a big box store? I'm sure there is cell service and UBER. I once had to fill a 26x2 tire full of twigs and leaves to get me back from the middle of nowhere (it's amazing how nuch it takes to fill that little void) I tried grass first, but that only made pulpy wheat grass juice after a mile or two.
I have done that as well, we had someone in the group we were riding with and we had to stuff the tire and it worked he made it back another 5 miles at least (maybe more). It took a long time but we got it.
Old 02-23-24, 09:30 AM
indyfabz

Ah. I had no idea it does that. I don't drive much. The car I brought home at the beginning of July, 2016, has fewer than 27,000 miles on it. I am almost 59, and it's the first vehicle I bought for my exclusive use. Prior to that, I bought one for my mom that she and I shared.

BTW...See edit.
Old 02-23-24, 10:41 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Whatever the potential situation may be, a clearly better flat fix solution is to use the finger of a nitrile glove and some tape.
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...-patchjob.html
Old 02-23-24, 12:20 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Here's one version:
that’s what I was thinking off sized for cycling.
Old 02-23-24, 09:35 PM
cweb99

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 58 Posts
A 32oz of Fix a Flat would look great in the back of a Jersey pocket
Old 02-24-24, 04:44 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Smart riders that use a sealant in their mountain bike tires also carry a spare tube and a way to inflate it. The sealant can burp and not provide a good seal and the best recourse is to insert a tube and add air. I started with sewup tires but I have always preferred to fix a flat in a hotel room or at my house and not sitting beside the road.