Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-11, 11:30 AM
GrayJay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by toytech
My new sexy Latina, Miele that is Canadian built by Italian ex-pat and my size too!
Nice find, Looks like it is decked out with Athena from around 1990. Any ID on what version of tubing it has?
Old 06-06-11, 11:37 AM
toytech

Bikes: enough bikes to qualify for Hoarders......

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GrayJay
Nice find, Looks like it is decked out with Athena from around 1990. Any ID on what version of tubing it has?
It has a 27.2mm seat post if that helps, the Columbus stickers don't specify though. Weight wise if I was guessing I would say it is SL/SLX ish approximately. The other Latina I had was a 60cm in SP. It is full Athena 7speed indexed, it even has Campagnolo Omega rims. I just put a new set of tires on it and if the weather holds I will take it out for a ride. She's a beauty.
Old 06-06-11, 02:28 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
She sure is pretty - and the gap between the rear wheel and ST is such that you could situate a pump AND a fender!
I'll bet this is one sweet sport/touring bike!

PS_ What's up with the crank? It looks very nice on this bike.
What is up with that crank ?

Was some pretty low end cottered crank and this seems pretty typical from what I know of Garlatti bicycles... like a Peugeot UO8 they become a lot nicer when you replace the cottered boat anchor with something stiffer and lighter and install nicer wheels.

I have had this Stronglight hanging around and gathering dust and those damned Lyotard Berthet pedals are really well attached so guess I will have to leave them on there. Can't say I tried to hard to remove them and am pretty sure they are French threaded so would not have any replacements.

Swapped the wheels to my handbuilt Arvons, ditched that POS Valentino for a derailleur that actually works, and swapped the headset to a Tange / Kuwahara as the stock headset was also nothing to write home about.

Now the 3 that was dressed up as a 9 is looking more like an 8 and good lord, does this bike ever ride and handle beautifully.
Old 06-06-11, 11:55 PM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I got a raleigh Lenton sports tonight, has a interesting gear system on it, some rust and a nice red color, pics to come at daybreak! rides really nice dispite not being used for some time.
Old 06-07-11, 12:34 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
like a Peugeot UO8 they become a lot nicer when you replace the cottered boat anchor with something stiffer and lighter and install nicer wheels.
that's called the UO9
Old 06-07-11, 09:12 AM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Here it is, no clue what year it is, might be 60's
Old 06-07-11, 09:14 AM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Beautiful Lenton, great score HSean!
Old 06-07-11, 09:17 AM
HSean

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I know, I can't wait to get it whipped up back into shape. needs several parts replaced, luckly I found a second bike on free day that has parts the same on it, it's a girls bike, perfect bike for this lol
Old 06-08-11, 04:21 PM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
1983 Lotus Pegasus

well thanks a lot brooklyn_bike. Your Stumpjumper (see the "1982 Stumpjumper an homage to XO-1" thread) made me go and buy this today:

1983 Lotus Pegasus by (cobrabyte), on Flickr

no, really thanks...I have been really wanting one of these, and your post today made me search for one, and i stumbled across the Lotus

It has everything I have been looking for for a long time: triple cranks, canti brakes, 26" wheels and very good utility bike promise. Plans are for a Nitto dirt drop stem with moustache or dirt-drop bars, fenders, a rear rack, etc...

Last edited by cobrabyte; 06-08-11 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-08-11, 04:25 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by cobrabyte
Looks kind of Surly to me...

Last edited by cycleheimer; 06-08-11 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-08-11, 04:38 PM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

@cycleheimer: my thoughts exactly
Old 06-08-11, 04:51 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
well thanks a lot brooklyn_bike. Your Stumpjumper (see the "1982 Stumpjumper an homage to XO-1" thread) made me go and buy this today:

1983 Lotus Pegasus by (cobrabyte), on Flickr

no, really thanks...I have been really wanting one of these, and your post today made me search for one, and i stumbled across the Lotus

It has everything I have been looking for for a long time: triple cranks, canti brakes, 26" wheels and very good utility bike promise. Plans are for a Nitto dirt drop stem with moustache or dirt-drop bars, fenders, a rear rack, etc...
Thats just plain cool! Looks like more of a Touring geometry then a Mountain.
Old 06-08-11, 06:43 PM
Nitram612

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I already posted another thread about this, but thought it fit in here too. Found this in the alley behind my house a couple days ago along with a bunch of rusty steel rims and a couple crappy dept store road bike frames.

Not sure if I want to go to the trouble to rebuild it or just flip it on craigslist. The paint is in pretty rough shape in a few spots and I don't have the parts lying around. On the other hand, it looks like it fits me and could be a good project if I can find the parts cheaply.
Old 06-08-11, 07:11 PM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

@ grim: thanks! I think the geo looks perfect for how I will be using it

@Nitram612: excellent find! I wish my neighbors that i share an alley with threw away stuff like that!
Old 06-09-11, 05:25 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
No pics yet but a friend stopped by last night and gave me a really clean Fuji Absolute that he found laying next to a dumpster with a junk X Games MTB. The front wheel and seat post were missing but the rest is all there and it has Suntour Accueshift 6spd drivetrain on it with Dia Compe brakes & levers, it even had a Cannondale velcro mounted water bottle that are like new.

Glenn
Old 06-09-11, 06:23 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
WOW! I love that Lotus Pegasus. Beautiful!
Old 06-09-11, 05:16 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
@cycleheimer: my thoughts exactly
Can you carry the bike on your shoulder more easily with that curved bar that runs from the top tube to the seat tube?
Old 06-10-11, 02:02 PM
The MAX

Bikes: Surly Long haul Trucker with front and rack Nice Racks, 1984 Colnago Sport, 1983 Raleigh Condor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I travel through New Brunswick and Nova Scotia a lot for my work (based in Halifax). Whenever I go out on the road for a week or so I always throw my bike rack in my trunk if I have room. I was able to buy my 1983 Raleigh Condor with Shimano Golden Arrow group this way by taking a little detour on the way home, what would have been a 3 hour round trip if I had to leave from my house.

Just got back in town from being on the road since Monday and saw this in the classifieds for $150 for "a quick sale." It was about 1.5 hour round trip out of the way, but again, it would have been a 4-5 hour trip from the city.

here is what I got.

Bianchi Brava with FULL shimano 105 groupo (indexed)
Profile Aero bard
A set of rollers
Practically brand new bike shoes
saddle bag + some doo dads
all for $140

The lady selling it was working so she had me go through her neighbour to see it and buy it. Turns out it was her husbands, and he died unexpectedly from a brain aneurysm. I guess she wanted to get rid of it quickly because she didn't want to have to look at it in her garage anymore. Sad story and makes you want to enjoy everyday.

In the town it was in it probably would have been hard to sell this stuff but here in Halifax I should be easily able to flip this stuff. However... the Bianchi is in my size... sigh I may have to keep it. But the rollers are definitely going. Seen way too many people on youtube fall on their asses and I also have no desire to ride indoors.

I have a few bikes in line to be fixed up now. Need to get my touring bike put back together, and finish my M. Sc. thesis before I can even think about starting work on these bikes.
Old 06-10-11, 05:20 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
I just picked this up. I believe it's an 82 Voyageur SP(according to the Schwinn catalogs). The racks look to be original equipment on this bike.

The only negative is the pump clamp on the top tube. There's some electrical tape over the tube now, but I think the paint may be gone underneath. On a good note, there is no rust on this bike. It's complete with vintage helmet(heavy sucker)

Old 06-10-11, 09:30 PM
trueyanksfan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger M
I just picked this up. I believe it's an 82 Voyageur SP(according to the Schwinn catalogs). The racks look to be original equipment on this bike.

The only negative is the pump clamp on the top tube. There's some electrical tape over the tube now, but I think the paint may be gone underneath. On a good note, there is no rust on this bike. It's complete with vintage helmet(heavy sucker)

Any chance you're in Pennsylvania? I believe I saw this bike last Saturday but passed on it because I've got a few too many projects. Nice score.
Old 06-10-11, 10:14 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Originally Posted by trueyanksfan
Any chance you're in Pennsylvania? I believe I saw this bike last Saturday but passed on it because I've got a few too many projects. Nice score.
Nope, Seattle. Thanks, it is in real nice shape.

I did peel the tape off, that was under the pump mount. The paint is fine, just a little of the decal is scuffed up. This should clean up very good.
Old 06-10-11, 11:16 PM
toytech

Bikes: enough bikes to qualify for Hoarders......

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This grail touring bike is going to make some tall person very happy! I love poorly written ads with no pictures! I drove 45 minutes to get this expecting it to get sold out from under me at any moment...It is a shame it is way to big for me.
Original except replacement rear wheel and seat. 1 broken spoke.

Old 06-10-11, 11:26 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Originally Posted by toytech
This grail touring bike is going to make some tall person very happy! I love poorly written ads with no pictures! I drove 45 minutes to get this expecting it to get sold out from under me at any moment...It is a shame it is way to big for me
Wow. What a score, and my size too...
Old 06-10-11, 11:48 PM
realestvin7
Large Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Excellent!

Old 06-11-11, 12:29 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
nice how tall is the frame?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.