Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How do I convert SRAM to Shimano hub?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

How do I convert SRAM to Shimano hub?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-21, 05:38 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
The focus is perfect to my eyes. I can see the minute detail of his fingerprints.
And if the OP were asking questions about his fingerprints, that would be perfect.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-02-21, 11:32 AM
GBK233

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced 2, 2020 Giant Contend AR1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
Freehub arrived…and fits. Problem is that he didn’t include spacers. (Going to send me what he has in a few days, but I don’t want to wait and then find out they area wrong). In meantime….what spacers do I need to compete this wheel? I don’t know what the internal threads inside the freehub body are for.

Old 08-02-21, 02:04 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You might want to have someone do this work for you judging by your questions. The first photo is the rotor side of the hub and the threads are for the rotor lockring. The second photo...those are the threads for the cassette lockring. You don't need 'spacers', you need axle caps...and an experienced mechanic to show you how this works.
Old 08-03-21, 06:51 AM
Kanon25

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
You need the Shimano compatible endcap.

What's in the pictures from Specialized seems very similar to Trek's Bontrager Rapid Drive hubs, which I believe also utilises DT Swiss internals.

If you happen to have a bike shop around you that sells/fixes Bontrager wheels and parts, it's worth checking in with them and testing out the end cap. They might have that sort of thing lying around the workshop that you can check. if not it can be ordered.

This is the Bontrager end cap:
https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/e...d-cap/p/31645/

This is the Bontrage Shimano HG hub:
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...-body/p/31657/
Old 08-03-21, 03:31 PM
GBK233

Went to LBS…they didn’t have the spacers(end caps). They ordered them…gonna cost me $40, sucks but oh well.
Old 08-03-21, 03:47 PM
cxwrench

Did you understand my reply to you asking about the threads inside the free hub?
Old 08-03-21, 03:52 PM
GBK233

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Did you understand my reply to you asking about the threads inside the free hub?
not really. The owner of my LBS seemed to know what I needed. He was hoping he had a few lying around the shop(used), but didn’t. He ordered whatever I need. The guy I traded with said he had the caps and is going to send them, but I’m dubious, so I had the LBS order them. Worse case…I’ll have an extra set of caps.
Old 08-03-21, 04:05 PM
cxwrench

Read my reply again. Your first photo is the brake rotor side of the hub. The threads are for the lockring that holds the rotor on. The second photo is the free hub, and the threads are also for a lockring, this one obviously holds the cassette cogs on.
Old 08-03-21, 04:10 PM
GBK233

Read my reply again. Your first photo is the brake rotor side of the hub. The threads are for the lockring that holds the rotor on. The second photo is the free hub, and the threads are also for a lockring, this one obviously holds the cassette cogs on.
oh..ok. The cassette lock ring screws into the threads on the axle….or the threads in the inside of the freehub?
Old 08-03-21, 04:18 PM
cxwrench

Jesus...the ones inside the free hub that you originally asked about. Think about it...what would happen if you attached the cassette...which needs to spin with the wheel...to the axle...which doesn't spin?
Old 08-03-21, 04:24 PM
GBK233

Jesus...the ones inside the free hub that you originally asked about. Think about it...what would happen if you attached the cassette...which needs to spin with the wheel...to the axle...which doesn't spin?
Slow your roll…I’m still pretty new to all of this.

the lock ring for the cassette is going to engage both the threads on the inside of the freehub body AND the threads on the axle itself?
Old 08-03-21, 04:33 PM
cxwrench

Nooooooo. How could it engage both? The cassette lockring screws into the free hub. The axle cap screws onto the...wait for it...the axle. Make sense?
Old 08-03-21, 04:39 PM
GBK233

Nooooooo. How could it engage both? The cassette lockring screws into the free hub. The axle cap screws onto the...wait for it...the axle. Make sense?
The end caps I’ve seen online are not threaded….so Them being threaded is news to me. I just assumed the caps just popped on over the axle. Videos I’ve seen on YouTube don’t show the caps being screwed onto the axle, the people in the vids just grab the caps with pliers and pop them off.
Old 08-03-21, 04:46 PM
cxwrench

DT and DT based hubs just push on like that. The Bontrager like you have threads on, that's why there is a hole on the NDS side of the axle, so you can put a wrench or screwdriver through the hole to keep the axle from spinning while you tighten the cap on the DS. The hubs that use the 'push on' axle caps are now having a problem w/ not staying on when turned cassette side down. The cassettes are getting bigger and heavier and many people have had there cassette & free hub fall off when changing a flat or whatever just because they had the wheel positioned cassette side down. I love DT hubs but I prefer one that doesn't fall apart all the time.
Old 08-03-21, 04:48 PM
GBK233

DT and DT based hubs just push on like that. The Bontrager like you have threads on, that's why there is a hole on the NDS side of the axle, so you can put a wrench or screwdriver through the hole to keep the axle from spinning while you tighten the cap on the DS. The hubs that use the 'push on' axle caps are now having a problem w/ not staying on when turned cassette side down. The cassettes are getting bigger and heavier and many people have had there cassette & free hub fall off when changing a flat or whatever just because they had the wheel positioned cassette side down. I love DT hubs but I prefer one that doesn't fall apart all the time.

ya…I used a screwdriver in the hole on the NDS to get the SRAM XDR driver off