Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Drafting Ebikes

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-21, 10:27 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Same. I have yet to come across an e bike rider I’d feel confident drafting.
Where I live they fall in two camps. Legitimate commuter use by commuter veterans with all the necessary kit, skills, and route knowledge from their years of doing it. And they usually own a commuter specific model optimized for that use. Often university professors to and from the local place.

The other group are the idiots who are trying to end-around the local laws forbidding gas motor dirt bikes on streets and greenways by buying these 1000w+ e-bikes with motor bike tires and throttles that bash around as if it is a motocross race.

The commuters, probably could draft fine, but legit commuters usually don't own "modded" throttled e-bike dirt bike style bikes. So theirs has the factory speed limiter. Meaning you would be faster down a hill past them, then slower up the hill. So wouldn't work really to draft unless it was really flattish.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-08-21, 10:28 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
It is past due to have the forever e-bike thread.
It will be cathartic. I promise.
Old 05-08-21, 10:38 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
Now I think most e bike riders are people who never rode biles much. me I put over 15,00 miles commuting before I got my e bike. the nI got it it I put 9000 on it in a year between my commute and my e tandem with my wife.
Old 05-08-21, 01:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
I would not draft any of the eBikes I see on the roads the OP rides. They do not inspire confidence. In addition, they mostly pass me going uphill, where drafting would be useless, and downhill I'm usually faster than their speed limiter. I'm also picturing some poor schmo on an eBike, working himself and his motor as hard as possible to avoid being speared by the OP's copper piping "aero bars".

Anyone can draft me anytime they want, as long as they don't mind the periodic snot rockets.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-08-21, 02:15 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Someone mentions previously about hating ebikes. I don't hate ebikes, I don't hate cars, or other forms of transpo, including road bikes. It's the idiot operators that I hate. Too many don't even realize that there are rules (enforceable no less) of the road. If someone respects the rules of the road, I'll respect them. Until then,...
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 05-08-21, 02:31 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Bigbus
Someone mentions previously about hating ebikes. I don't hate ebikes, I don't hate cars, or other forms of transpo, including road bikes. It's the idiot operators that I hate. Too many don't even realize that there are rules (enforceable no less) of the road. If someone respects the rules of the road, I'll respect them. Until then,...
last year when everyone and their dog started riding they were far more of a hazard than any driver. it was bad wrong side of the road or path even when you have arrows and such. whole families going the wrong way.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 05-08-21, 02:36 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I trust NO ONE so if i'm drafting, i'm a safe distance behind and not "on their wheel".
Old 05-08-21, 02:52 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Good luck drafting my ebike. No limiter, it can bury any road rider.

But used responsibly it is a lot of fun.
Old 05-08-21, 03:11 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Good luck drafting my ebike. No limiter, it can bury any road rider.

But used responsibly it is a lot of fun.
Thats sick, thanks for being out there, most ebikes aren't very fast. If you blew by me id say something and kill myself trying to get on your draft
Old 05-08-21, 03:12 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Well. it was the last 7 mile stretch of my 45 mile ride. Flat and few obstacles so I push myself some to burn extra energy I have. So for this 7 mile stretch, sometimes I am going faster than 22 (might see 24 on the screen) and sometimes a little slower (might see 19).

This last stretch 22.8 for 7+ miles. Number 2,474 our of 26,013 riders. Yeah, there are a lot of riders here in Calif. And that is my solo effort. Who knows what the others are doing to get those speeds as I never see guys going that fast. I know one guy who is superfast and he averages about 24. I'm guessing the other guys are in big packs, just my guess.

For the 45, average can be from 17 to 19 MPH average speed. Good enough for me.

So out of 26,000 riders, I guess around 2,000 ain't bad. I ain't fast but I ain't slow.

I rarely see ebikes doing 45+ mile rides out here. Most I see are very short, 20 'ish that I notice but I could be wrong. So doing a decent 45 mile rides, why would I NEED an ebike?

Last stretch of 7 miles on the 45. I am somewhere along the way cruising at 22.

You sound kind of fast, Id guess that the ebiker that annoyed you only did what he did because you were fast, and if anything you should take it as a compliment. I wasn't there though
Old 05-08-21, 03:31 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,431 Times in 2,759 Posts
Within the past year four of my riding friends have gone to ebikes. They are all in their 70s and had medical issues that slowed them to the point they couldn't ride with their long time (10-15 years) group. We are happy to have them back. I would draft any but one, he's always been a squirrel. Another guy's bike cuts out at 20mph, so no help there in a draft. They all ride courteously and don't blast by folks on hills except as the occasional joke. It's kind of cool to have someone along who can cover ground quickly and effortlessly. Just this week one of the ebikers volunteered to go off in search of an errant newbie.
Old 05-08-21, 03:35 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
If I draft an E-BSO I try to make sure the USB cord is compatible with it, to siphon some quick charging for my E-Equipment.
Old 05-08-21, 04:16 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
Now I think most e bike riders are people who never rode biles much. me I put over 15,00 miles commuting before I got my e bike. the nI got it it I put 9000 on it in a year between my commute and my e tandem with my wife.
Holy **** there are etandems?!! Thats so cool!!!!
Old 05-08-21, 04:27 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Thats sick, thanks for being out there, most ebikes aren't very fast. If you blew by me id say something and kill myself trying to get on your draft
ya its work my bosch powered bike will go to 28 but you better be able to keep putting out over 200 watts to do it. about 26 or so is about 200 watts or so we have no flat areas so its had to see for sure. I am at a 60degree angle and the wind resistance gets up there. but I seldom find a need or a place I can go that fast. 22 or or so is where I am at.
Old 05-08-21, 04:30 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Holy **** there are etandems?!! Thats so cool!!!!
not al to of them. ours was more of a cruiser and needed work to really work for what we want. we needed less upright and better gearing and better brakes. My wife is blind and with covid it was the only way she could get out. the motor cuts out at about 19 and that seems where we cruise at. we can climb 16% grades.
Old 05-08-21, 06:20 PM
fooferdoggie 

dupe
Old 05-08-21, 09:01 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
Well. it was the last 7 mile stretch of my 45 mile ride. Flat and few obstacles so I push myself some to burn extra energy I have. So for this 7 mile stretch, sometimes I am going faster than 22 (might see 24 on the screen) and sometimes a little slower (might see 19).

This last stretch 22.8 for 7+ miles. Number 2,474 our of 26,013 riders. Yeah, there are a lot of riders here in Calif. And that is my solo effort. Who knows what the others are doing to get those speeds as I never see guys going that fast. I know one guy who is superfast and he averages about 24. I'm guessing the other guys are in big packs, just my guess.

For the 45, average can be from 17 to 19 MPH average speed. Good enough for me.

So out of 26,000 riders, I guess around 2,000 ain't bad. I ain't fast but I ain't slow.

I rarely see ebikes doing 45+ mile rides out here. Most I see are very short, 20 'ish that I notice but I could be wrong. So doing a decent 45 mile rides, why would I NEED an ebike?

Last stretch of 7 miles on the 45. I am somewhere along the way cruising at 22.

Yawn

*EDIT: Seriously. Do better.
Old 05-08-21, 09:23 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
Riding an E-bike is like getting a trophy for participation. Everyone gets a prize.
Likes For krakhaus:
Old 05-08-21, 09:29 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by krakhaus
Riding an E-bike is like getting a trophy for participation. Everyone gets a prize.
whats the prize riding a bike? some don't get much exercise some do. I went from at most putting out 80 to 100 watts sick as a dog for 20 years to now 170 to 190 and sometimes 200 watts with a heart rate at 130 to 140 and upto 230 miles a week. and usually a min of 150 miles a week. I got in 9000 miles in a year.

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 05-08-21 at 09:33 PM.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 05-08-21, 10:36 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
whats the prize riding a bike? some don't get much exercise some do. I went from at most putting out 80 to 100 watts sick as a dog for 20 years to now 170 to 190 and sometimes 200 watts with a heart rate at 130 to 140 and upto 230 miles a week. and usually a min of 150 miles a week. I got in 9000 miles in a year.
that’s super sick, glad to hear that you are killing it.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 05-09-21, 05:58 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Do you raise your hands in victory crossing the line after burying road riders?
There are finish lines where you ride?

I'm not out there racing anyone but boy, do some people get pissed if I'm in a hurry to get somewhere and they can't keep up. No idea why, no different than getting passed by a car.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 05-09-21, 06:14 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Drafting an e-bike? I don't see many around here and the last two e-bike riders I've seen were salmoning on busy roads.
Old 05-09-21, 07:54 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Where I live they fall in two camps. Legitimate commuter use by commuter veterans with all the necessary kit, skills, and route knowledge from their years of doing it. And they usually own a commuter specific model optimized for that use. Often university professors to and from the local place.

The other group are the idiots who are trying to end-around the local laws forbidding gas motor dirt bikes on streets and greenways by buying these 1000w+ e-bikes with motor bike tires and throttles that bash around as if it is a motocross race.

The commuters, probably could draft fine, but legit commuters usually don't own "modded" throttled e-bike dirt bike style bikes. So theirs has the factory speed limiter. Meaning you would be faster down a hill past them, then slower up the hill. So wouldn't work really to draft unless it was really flattish.
Odd place you live. Around here e bikers fall into three groups. The commuters (about 20%). The over 50 crowd (About 60%) and the mountain e bikers (about 20%). Overpowered e motor cycles are as rare on the bike paths as gasoline dirt bikes and 4 wheel ATV,s

Last edited by KPREN; 05-09-21 at 08:02 AM.
Likes For KPREN:
Old 05-09-21, 08:04 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
My regular biking buddy had rheumatic fever as a child, has had several heart surgeries, is on oxygen 24/7, and rides an ebike. Prior to his health decline, he rode thousands of miles on a non e bike including one coast to coast ride and across Alaska. His riding skills are excellent. As a previous poster noted, it's not the type of bike so much as the type of rider. There are idiots and jerks in or on all sorts of vehicles.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 05-09-21, 08:58 AM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
For what? I'm just riding my bike.

Should I be like that Phil Garmoan guy who goes around segment hunting on strava like a fool? You know, make a big deal about getting KOM's when he's doing 16 mile rides vs the 80-130 mile rides others are doing to get the top positions. Kind of silly, fake pride don't you think?

If you weren't always popping off about crushing people it would have been "hey man, nice riding." Instead of "after all that hot air, THIS is what we get? Yawn."

BTW Phil Gaimon rides a ton and would poop you out, not even knowing he ate you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.