Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

‘I’ll probably never buy a carbon bike again’ ...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

‘I’ll probably never buy a carbon bike again’ ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-24, 11:47 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...so we're only on page four, and at least two people have called me a liar. Someone will now post a semantic argument, claiming I have misrepresented the statement by Atlas Shrugged . I'm out. It's cloudy and there's an on and off rain today here, but General Cycling has become such an abusive environment lately, that even standing outside in the rain is preferable.
Old 03-11-24, 11:51 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I confess I know nothing about the costs of diagnosing and repairing a cracked CFRP bicycle. Alloy, as you say, once it breaks it's broken. Do you have any idea about the costs of these services, so I can judge the vialbility of it a a strategy, versus just buying a cheaper bicycle frame in the first place ? I have the impression that a lot of people in the world of higher end CF just buy a new bike, because the associated component technology is changing so rapidly. But I might be completely mistaken in that.
I don't know the specific costs, but a guy I ride with occasionally was involved in a crash on a local competitive group ride (typically 100+ riders). His BMC Teammachine suffered a broken seat tube. Repairing it was a cheaper option than buying a new frame (which would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $4k). An aluminum frame would have been trash.
Old 03-11-24, 11:51 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
...as usual, you are off in the weeds again.
Sounds like you work for their marketing department.

.Her point was and continues to be, that as a small start-up bicycle firm, her company can prototype and make frames from alloy, and sell them more cheaply.
??? No one is arguing that she can't do this. No one is even arguing that her bikes aren't good.

There are a lot of carbon frame bikes for <$7000. She sells <$7000 aluminum bikes.

And that for the majority of non professional users, they can be competitive in peloton road racing conditions. No more and no less.
The "majority of non professional users" don't buy $20,000 bikes. I suspect the majority of amateur ("non professional") racers don't don't buy $20,000 bikes. They were doing all this before this company provided bikes.

Originally Posted by Chloe Hosking
I’ve seen that alloy bikes can be just as competitive in a peloton as carbon ones. The vast majority of people do not need to spend 20 grand on a carbon bike.
This is pure marketing blather. Who is really saying "they need to spend 20 grand"? Who is saying that a $20k bike would really improve their standing (the vague "as competitive" nonsense)? The "vast vast majority" of amateur races aren't "competitive" at all (with or without a $20k bike).

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-11-24 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-11-24, 12:01 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Utter nonsense.

I've ridden and raced on bikes made of steel, aluminum, titanium, and carbon fiber. I still own bikes made of 3 of those materials. I'm a lot of years removed from my best racing days and peak fitness, but I haven't lost the ability to recognize and appreciate the differences in ride quality and handling characteristics between different bikes. It turns out that the bikes I prefer to ride are all CF. They're also the bikes that excite me most to look at. If a high-end CF bike helps pro racers get the most from their abilities, why can't I also ride a bike that helps me get the most from my abilities? I'm not racing the way I used to, but I still like riding to the limits of what my body is capable of on a regular basis. That's just playing the game of bikes the way I like to play it. For the same reasons, I wear "roadie" clothing when I ride, regardless of whether it's road, gravel, or MTB. It's clothing optimized for cycling, and helps me perform at my best, regardless of how I compare to anyone else. I'm not pretending to be someone. I am a cyclist, and I use the gear that suits the way I like to ride, based on preferences developed over a long time. At this point, I don't ever expect to purchase a non-CF bike.

All that said. These are my preferences. If yours are different, that's fine. I'm not telling anyone else how they should enjoy the sport/activity, and what they should be limited to using.
Agree!

On this business of cosplay, I knew that I was aware of a real instance, but couldn't quite recall. Then it hit me ... of course there is cycling cosplay. Here's an example.

Last edited by badger1; 03-11-24 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Remove horrifying copy edit blunder.
Likes For badger1:
Old 03-11-24, 12:09 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by njkayaker
The "majority of non professional users" don't buy $20,000 bikes. I suspect the majority of amateur ("non professional") racers don't don't buy $20,000 bikes. They were doing all this before this company provided bikes.
Accurate. The "$20,000 bike" thing is marketing hyperbole. The most expensive bikes being ridden in the pro peloton this year are the custom-painted Treks ridden by the Lidl-Trek team. The price tag on those is $18,450.
Old 03-11-24, 12:14 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
...in context, this was said to me here back in February:

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
I can see why you’re so confused. Instead of riding and opining plastic bicycles and components you should try carbon fiber is absolutely amazing. Incredible strength to weight ratio, infinitely adjustable through layup, and state of the art for current cycling technology who knows where the future will take it. Hopefully this clears up your confusion. It will drastically increase your enjoyment of the sport from a riding perspective.[/QUOTE]

It was in the Weight Weenieism thread, which has been locked, so the reference function might not work.

Not only. Just fully. Stop saying this, because you were not a participant in the original exchange. Thank you
All of that does not even suggest this....

..... It turns out I cannot possibly enjoy the sport of cycling without a CF frame.
Your idealism is getting in the way of reality.

Last edited by Iride01; 03-11-24 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-11-24, 12:17 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
I can see why you’re so confused. Instead of riding and opining plastic bicycles and components you should try carbon fiber is absolutely amazing. Incredible strength to weight ratio, infinitely adjustable through layup, and state of the art for current cycling technology who knows where the future will take it. Hopefully this clears up your confusion. It will drastically increase your enjoyment of the sport from a riding perspective.
It turns out I cannot possibly enjoy the sport of cycling without a CF frame. It's simply inconceivable.
Someone will now post a semantic argument, claiming I have misrepresented the statement by @Atlas Shrugged.
No argument necessary! You made it abundantly clear that you misrepresented what @Atlas Shrugged said.

Talking about what someone said without showing what they actually said is another no-no.

.I'm out. It's cloudy and there's an on and off rain today here, but General Cycling has become such an abusive environment lately, that even standing outside in the rain is preferable.
Sour grapes. You are upset that people called you on your BS.

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-11-24 at 12:58 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 03-11-24, 12:28 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
...so we're only on page four, and at least two people have called me a liar. Someone will now post a semantic argument, claiming I have misrepresented the statement by Atlas Shrugged . I'm out. It's cloudy and there's an on and off rain today here, but General Cycling has become such an abusive environment lately, that even standing outside in the rain is preferable.
What this obviously trolling thread didn’t go your way?

Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 03-11-24, 12:30 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,304 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01

It’s not idealism, it’s just a desire to stir up controversy.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-11-24, 12:36 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Surprising to see this. You're usually as unflappable as they come, even in P&R, in the face of outrageous provocation.
Old 03-11-24, 12:50 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
...please do not call me a liar.
Show us the post(s) from GC in which someone claims that a person "cannot possibly enjoy the sport of cycling without a CF frame" and I will retract my accusation. Until then, you're a liar.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-11-24, 12:54 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
Last two world tour bike races I watched - the winners could have been riding 20 year old steel frames, while everyone else was riding the best of the best CF had to offer, and still won with a big margin. Pogs and Vingo would have won Strade and Tirrento on steel framed bikes while everyone else was riding their Dogma's.
I kind of doubt that Pog would have soloed off the front for 80k on a non-aero setup. That's a long time with his nose in the wind, with that power handicap.

It's possible he could have managed, but we'll never know.

Last edited by terrymorse; 03-11-24 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-11-24, 12:58 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Surprising to see this. You're usually as unflappable as they come, even in P&R, in the face of outrageous provocation.
...despite all the posts thus far about how this was just started to troll, because of boredom, I really do have a lot of stuff going on this time of year here. I don't need a lot of motivation to abandon a thread where the fallacious arguments about what it's really about, and how the C+V Luddites are once again on the rampage in general cycling. It quickly degenerates into a long stream of ad hominem attacks, from the usual suspects.

I'm not flapped, I just have prior experience with these guys. They won't stay on topic, no matter how much I redirect them. And once two people have called you a liar, based on some exchange for which they were neither present, nor paying attention, in general cycling of all places, it's foolish to wait around for a third. It's Spring here, all the daffodils, magnolias, and camellias are in bloom. Not once has a flower ever insulted me. (Although I do get a touch of hay fever later on in the season... )

I would ask a moderator to close it, as unsalvageable, but it's extra work for them. And who knows but that someone will come along, actually addressing the ideas as presented. A few have already...hope springs eternal in the Springtime.
Old 03-11-24, 01:02 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Koyote
Show us the post(s) from GC in which someone claims that a person "cannot possibly enjoy the sport of cycling without a CF frame" and I will retract my accusation. Until then, you're a liar.
..I gave it to you, and predicted this semantic argument response. You are now, and will remain forever, someone who would present logical fallacies as argument, rather than discuss anything. No until then about it. But just as a favor to you, in the hope that you will more fully enjoy the sport of posting in general cycling, I have reported your post as personal insult. Have a nice day.
Old 03-11-24, 01:03 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
..I gave it to you,
I must've missed it; can you give me the post number and a link to the thread? That's pretty simple.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-11-24, 01:10 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Iride01

...you should try carbon fiber is absolutely amazing. Incredible strength to weight ratio, infinitely adjustable through layup, and state of the art for current cycling technology who knows where the future will take it. Hopefully this clears up your confusion. It will drastically increase your enjoyment of the sport from a riding perspective.
...so what do you think it means ? If a CF frame will "drastically increase your enjoyment of the sport from a riding perspective" , how exactly am I supposed to enjoy riding a bicycle from a riding perspective on anything else ? Do me a solid here and explain that to me. My take was that I am "drastically missing something". I could be wrong. How exactly ? What am I missing other than identical wording ?
Old 03-11-24, 01:11 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Koyote
I must've missed it; can you give me the post number and a link to the thread? That's pretty simple.

...quoted upthread, by me and a couple of others who prefer to argue semantics. Just ask one of the semantics club.
Old 03-11-24, 01:14 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Eric F
I don't know the specific costs, but a guy I ride with occasionally was involved in a crash on a local competitive group ride (typically 100+ riders). His BMC Teammachine suffered a broken seat tube. Repairing it was a cheaper option than buying a new frame (which would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $4k). An aluminum frame would have been trash.
...and an aluminum frame would have been cheaper to replace. Isn't that the point ?
Old 03-11-24, 01:17 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...look. I really am out. If you guys want to circle around and further harass someone who's not present to respond, you have my blessing. It serves as an excellent demonstration of what general cycling discussion level has become, on certain topics.

Good luck and godspeed.
Old 03-11-24, 01:23 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,304 Times in 2,949 Posts
I'm out.
6 posts later ...

...look. I really am out.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-11-24, 01:29 PM
njkayaker

.I'm out.
...look. I really am out.
If you say you are out, stay out, Don't keep coming back to say you are out.

...there is, AFAIK, no requirement for anyone to respond to any thread topic on teh Beikforums. The pot here stirs itself. It doesn't need me for that.
Yet, you keep responding.

If you guys want to circle around and further harass someone who's not present to respond, you have my blessing. It serves as an excellent demonstration of what general cycling discussion level has become, on certain topics.
Sheesh. If you troll, don't cry about being "harassed" when people call you on it.

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-11-24 at 01:41 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 03-11-24, 01:30 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
...look. I really am out. If you guys want to circle around and further harass someone who's not present to respond, you have my blessing. It serves as an excellent demonstration of what general cycling discussion level has become, on certain topics.

Good luck and godspeed.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 03-11-24, 01:38 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Trakhak
In some other alternative reality, maybe. In this reality, he's pretty thin-skinned there too. Most of the "outrageous provocation" he was involved in is his own doing. (Though, he's backed off from that in P&R (for a while.)

In this thread, he's either disingenuous or rather clueless.

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-11-24 at 01:43 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 03-11-24, 01:56 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

...and an aluminum frame would have been cheaper to replace. Isn't that the point ?
When I was an active Cat 3 crit racer (20+ years ago), I intentionally rode moderately-priced aluminum frames for my race bikes due to the nature of crit racing, and the real potential for crashing. For road races during the same time period, I usually used my beloved CF bike (Time VX) because I preferred the ride quality, and road races tended to be less crashy. Other than the specific scenario of a crit race bike, I have never purchased a bike with the expectation that it might get wrecked, and I would have to replace the frame. I buy the bikes that excite me, and serve the way I prefer to ride. Most recently, those bikes are all CF frames, with CF wheels, and a lot of CF components.

EDIT: I can tell you all of the reasons why I chose (or would choose) one bike over another, but my reasons might not be the same as your reasons. Our reasons don't have to align, and that's fine. If you are too freaked out about the possibility of breaking a CF frame, or the cost of replacement, then maybe a CF frame isn't a good choice for you. Maybe you prefer the ride feel of a different material. Maybe the subtle differences between one bike/material or another are inconsequential to you. Thankfully, there are lots of options to choose from, and something will probably fit your needs/wants.

Last edited by Eric F; 03-11-24 at 02:26 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 03-11-24, 02:06 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
...so what do you think it means ? If a CF frame will "drastically increase your enjoyment of the sport from a riding perspective" , how exactly am I supposed to enjoy riding a bicycle from a riding perspective on anything else ? Do me a solid here and explain that to me. My take was that I am "drastically missing something". I could be wrong. How exactly ? What am I missing other than identical wording ?
Nowhere does it say that CF is the only bike you can enjoy riding.

Certainly there is a lot of opinion being offered by that person. Just like most everything else we talk about here is opinion.

I think most of us here are starting to get the idea that you won't be satisfied by anything other than something that fulfils your idealism. While I on the other hand haven't had any issues with steel, aluminum or carbon fiber bikes. There are bad and good things about all of them. Now titanium bikes, I've never had. So should I believe the then popular 1960's or was it the 70's conspiracy toward them that they are too flexy in the BB area?
Likes For Iride01:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.