Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Speed differences between bikes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Speed differences between bikes

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-20, 08:33 AM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
Yes, and he's not even talking about competition but simply exercise. In a world where it's difficult to even get people who have diabetes or heart disease to take regular 10 minute walks he wants exercise to hurt.

Train harder, not smarter!
Old 10-13-20, 08:54 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Marylander
Yes, and he's not even talking about competition but simply exercise. In a world where it's difficult to even get people who have diabetes or heart disease to take regular 10 minute walks he wants exercise to hurt.

Train harder, not smarter!
if you want exercise, get a fatbike with aggressive tires. A lot of time a bike is coasting (no exercise) on a paved bike path where it often is impractical to "race". With the fatbike, you are pedaling most the time. You will be significantly faster when you switch back to a pavement bike.
Old 10-13-20, 09:51 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,964 Times in 4,689 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
The bike business has gone completely overboard on the subject of "comfort". What's next? Massaging saddles? Heated handle bars? Do 25 year olds really need electric bikes?

The whole sport has gone soft at the consumer level. Exercise is not supposed to be comfortable, it should be the opposite. It should hurt.
Judge much?
Old 10-13-20, 10:01 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
What I would like as much as heated handle bars is a cooled and ventilated saddle. My wife has cooled and ventilated seats in her car, and they are fantastic!
Old 10-13-20, 10:19 AM
Marylander

Originally Posted by Mojo31
What I would like as much as heated handle bars is a cooled and ventilated saddle. My wife has cooled and ventilated seats in her car, and they are fantastic!
There are systems for motorcycles that run cold water through tubing to keep the rider cool. They don't seem quite practical just yet though. I bet they wouldn't do great for keeping a cyclist cool though. You can, however, get good heated gear that runs on batteries now.
Old 10-13-20, 10:46 AM
skier

Bikes: Performer X-Low, Catrike Trail, Windcheetah Club Sport, HPV Grasshopper, FAW+ Velomobile (under construction)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 17 Posts
The bike business has gone completely overboard on the subject of "comfort". What's next? Massaging saddles? Heated handle bars? Do 25 year olds really need electric bikes?

The whole sport has gone soft at the consumer level. Exercise is not supposed to be comfortable, it should be the opposite. It should hurt.
Yikes. How awful. Next you’ll be telling us that there are companies selling bikes with soft comfortable chairs where you lay down in place of a small saddle that you sit on.

Old 10-13-20, 11:02 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by Marylander
There are systems for motorcycles that run cold water through tubing to keep the rider cool. They don't seem quite practical just yet though. I bet they wouldn't do great for keeping a cyclist cool though. You can, however, get good heated gear that runs on batteries now.
I was being sarcastic.
Old 10-13-20, 11:07 AM
Marylander

Originally Posted by Mojo31
I was being sarcastic.
Oh, I wasn't really being serious either. That said, I do have some 7v battery gloves that I bought to use on a motorcycle that doesn't have a lot of extra juice for my plug in heated gloves. I'm going to try those on the bicycle this winter.

Enjoy the new bike(s)!
Old 10-13-20, 11:20 AM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts

I think they are going after retired riders who have stopped riding because of discomfort. If you can provide comfort you gain more riders. At the end it’s all about $$$.
Likes For jay4usc:
Old 10-13-20, 11:42 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The hurt you inflict on yourself in a hard effort is different than the hurt caused by a harsh or poorly fitted bike. I had a Cervelo Soloist that was pretty harsh. It was an awesome crit bike: super quick handling and so stiff it felt like every watt was directed into road. The problem was that it just beat the crap out of me on rides longer than 90 minutes, especially on the rural roads where we have road races out here. When you're all beat to hell, it's harder to do high quality work outs that build the engine during training, or to find those matches at the end of a race.
Old 10-13-20, 06:53 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2582 Post(s)
Liked 5,639 Times in 2,921 Posts
Originally Posted by jay4usc
I think they are going after retired riders who have stopped riding because of discomfort. If you can provide comfort you gain more riders. At the end it’s all about $$$.
That is precisely what brought me back. Increased comfort, coupled with increased speed. And many older riders have the disposable income to afford nice bikes. Cheaper than classic sports cars, and as another said, hookers and blow.

Old 10-13-20, 09:06 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by rsbob
That is precisely what brought me back. Increased comfort, coupled with increased speed. And many older riders have the disposable income to afford nice bikes. Cheaper than classic sports cars, and as another said, hookers and blow.
I don’t have a problem staying away from the hookersand blow, but the cars are a different story.