Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My new Peugeot....big f'ckn dent.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-09, 08:27 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts

I'm am literaly sick to my stomach right now. Everything was looking and going so well until I unwrapped the top tube and there it is. A big f'ckn dent. On top of that dent there's a smaller one on the other side thats barely visible. Before I saw cthe dent I psyched......this bike is much nicer than I thought it'd be. The overall condition is a 9+/10 and it has Nornamdy Luxe Competition hubs .

In the ebay ad there is no mention of any dents, only a few minor nicks and scratches

I was charged $85 for shipping from NY via FedEX and I can tell you that the actual cost was no more than $40. So, for the extra $45 its gets wrapped in paper towels with an unsecured handlebar. Thats right, unsecured. It was literaly just hanging there as seen in the picture.

Oh yea, I spent $25 for an NOS matching water bottle in a seperate auction!!!!

Old 01-30-09, 08:47 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
wow, that sucks. Is that from ebay?

Old 01-30-09, 08:48 PM
riva
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Ah dude, That sucks.
Old 01-30-09, 08:50 PM
garysol1 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
My last Ebay bike came the same way. I was so psyched till I spotted the dent in the top tube. Thankfully for me the seller was a good guy and refunded 80% of the purchase price.
Old 01-30-09, 08:52 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Damn, that really sucks. If you paid via paypal, I would file a claim immediately. No way I would let the seller get away with this one.
Old 01-30-09, 08:55 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
Can you tell from the condition of the paint whether the dent is new? Can you demonstrate that the way the bike was packed could reasonably have caused the dent? Do you have any before-shipment pictures of the dented area? It may be possible to pull the dent, as one does with automobiles.

This is obviously a tough you vs. the seller vs. the shipper situation. Good luck to you!
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-30-09, 08:58 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 176 Posts
So sorry man. I would surely try to claim it. What bike is it anyway? Again I'm sorry that happened to ya.
Old 01-30-09, 08:59 PM
Otis

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Damn, that really sucks. If you paid via paypal, I would file a claim immediately. No way I would let the seller get away with this one.
It looks to me like the seller did a resonable job on the packing. I would guess something really heavy was dropped on the box and pushed the handlebar into the top-tube. I think the carrier will pay on this one, as it does not look like a "bad pack".

Why not let the seller make a claim through the carrier before you crucify him via Paypal.
miamijim

Originally Posted by -holiday76
wow, that sucks. Is that from ebay?
Originally Posted by wrk101
Yes, its an Ebay bike. I sent a mesage to the seller stating that I dont want the bike. I'm waiting on his response. And NO, he's not getting away with it.

2 years I've been looking for a high end Peugeot in my size. I find it and this happens....

BTW...the back rim has 4 small dents as well.
kpug505

Bikes: Motobecane Mirage fixed gear, Nashbar Alpha Road 5000, Bianchi Grizzly, Coppi Fiorelli, , Schwinn Trike, , GT All Terra, Old Peugeot, Nishiki 3 speed, Bugatti, Cannondale Black Lightning, Dura All, Bianchi Touring, Bridgestone T700 & more

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
OMFG!!!! That is a complete shame. That bike is frickin beautiful and then to get a dent like that from carelessness is just sickening and a down right dirty shame......I'm sooo sorry. Nail the seller to the wall!

Check out my bike blog!
Old 01-30-09, 09:00 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
looks like shippers fault to me also, which is almost worse. They make you go through hell to get anything.
Old 01-30-09, 09:02 PM
kpug505

Bikes: Motobecane Mirage fixed gear, Nashbar Alpha Road 5000, Bianchi Grizzly, Coppi Fiorelli, , Schwinn Trike, , GT All Terra, Old Peugeot, Nishiki 3 speed, Bugatti, Cannondale Black Lightning, Dura All, Bianchi Touring, Bridgestone T700 & more

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe I was a bit hasty in my previous reply.....Either way someone should pay!

And rot in hell! J/K but not really.

Check out my bike blog!
Old 01-30-09, 09:03 PM
miamijim

Originally Posted by Otis
It looks to me like the seller did a resonable job on the packing. I would guess something really heavy was dropped on the box and pushed the handlebar into the top-tube. I think the carrier will pay on this one, as it does not look like a "bad pack".

Why not let the seller make a claim through the carrier before you crucify him via Paypal.
Not a chance. I've packed hundreds of bike in my time. There's no way that handlebar should be left loose and be the highest object in the box when its resting on the top tube. Under the top flap of the box you can clearly see where the brake lever was pushed up tight against the top of the box.

It a shippers responsibilty to package a product in such a way that it's able to withstand 'reasonable shipment'. This product wasn't.
Old 01-30-09, 09:05 PM
abarth
Я люблю суп

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
miamijim, sorry about the bike. Do you have a link to the auction? Want to see if the dents were in the pictures.
Old 01-30-09, 09:16 PM
miamijim

Originally Posted by John E
Can you tell from the condition of the paint whether the dent is new? Can you demonstrate that the way the bike was packed could reasonably have caused the dent? Do you have any before-shipment pictures of the dented area? It may be possible to pull the dent, as one does with automobiles!
If you look at the first 2 pictures you can clearly see how deformed the pipe insulation is. The inside of the box flap has a clear brake lever impression.

Originally Posted by brandenjs
So sorry man. I would surely try to claim it. What bike is it anyway? Again I'm sorry that happened to ya.
1985 PGN10

Originally Posted by abarth
miamijim, sorry about the bike. Do you have a link to the auction? Want to see if the dents were in the pictures.

Auction link:
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330300824487

I've zoomed in on this auction picture, there's no dent:

Old 01-30-09, 09:21 PM
miamijim

Here's an picture showing the impact points.

Old 01-30-09, 09:24 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
+1 Loose handlebars = seller's fault, not shipping company.

I had almost the same thing happen to me, on my last ebay bike purchase where the bike had to be shipped. The seller dumped the bike loose (no wrapping on the frame, no packing materials of any kind, then dropped the rest of the parts loose into the box as well. The doofus thought that since he used a "bicycle shipping box" that no packing material was required!!!! Handlebars did a number on the frame, I claimed it back through paypal.

This was the last bike I bought on ebay that I had shipped. All subsequent buys have been local pickup only. This of course has limited my buys greatly, but no way I am going to chance it again.
Old 01-30-09, 09:25 PM
Otis

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
Not a chance. I've packed hundreds of bike in my time. There's no way that handlebar should be left loose and be the highest object in the box when its resting on the top tube. Under the top flap of the box you can clearly see where the brake lever was pushed up tight against the top of the box.

It a shippers responsibilty to package a product in such a way that it's able to withstand 'reasonable shipment'. This product wasn't.
I've packed hundreds as well, and I do a much nicer job. But all things considered that is a "reasonable" job that could not be simply written off as a bad pack by the carrier.

But whatever, either the seller or the carrier will have to eat it.
Old 01-30-09, 09:31 PM
miamijim

Originally Posted by Otis
I've packed hundreds as well, and I do a much nicer job. But all things considered that is a "reasonable" job that could not be simply written off as a bad pack by the carrier.

But whatever, either the seller or the carrier will have to eat it.
Its not reasonable for $85

Do you package bikes with loose handlebars and a loose front wheel? Yes, the front wheel was not secured at all.
Old 01-30-09, 09:42 PM
bigwoo

Bikes: March [B]'71 Schwinn Sports Tourer [/B] [B]

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Sorry MJ,
It is so beautiful that I'm wondering if you can clamp a small stretch of pipe around the dent, where its inside diameter matches the tube outside diameter and then apply your vice...??

I think that it would be worth trying to save it... I hope it's purely cosmetic.... If you do try a repair, please keep us advised.
(Was it Fedex or UPS?? I know that it is pulling teeth to get anything/reimbursement from Fedex..)

Last edited by bigwoo; 01-30-09 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-30-09, 09:44 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
That picture just makes me sick. I am so sorry this happened.

Rule number one of packing: nothing loose to bounce around
Rule number two of packing: no two things are allowed to rest on each other

Packer did a crappy job

jim
Old 01-30-09, 09:44 PM
retrofit

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 50 Posts
Whoa bummer! Something sure bounced off the top of that box given the impact points and the size of the dent.

I've shipped a couple of frames and complete bikes via FedEx, fortunately without incident. As I recall, in lieu of shipping insurance FedEx uses the shipment's declared value as its (FedEx's) maximum liability in the event of a claim. I've always used the dollar amount of the winning bid as the declared value of the shipment. Did the seller happen to declare the shipment's value when he paid for shipping?

stan
Old 01-30-09, 09:46 PM
23skidoo
Gone World Hepster

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Sad to see and I feel for your loss and your outrage. I paid $60 to B***ycle World in North Palm Beach to pack a 79 Trek 510 in a box that was too small, both wheels jammed into the box unsecured with no protectors on the hubs with the frame wrapped in the thinnest, flattest used bubble-wrap and the crank with chainrings attached just tossed in the bottom of the box. FedEx laughed at my $500 insurance on the shipment but the bike shop did refund the packing charge but pretty much told me to sue them if I expected them to pay for damage to the frame.

I used to keep what I called my Brain Cancer List and at one time those folks--especially the general manager of the chain who proudly defended their 20-year reputation for professional service--would have been in the Top Five but luckily for all of us I've matured a bit in my old age.

All that written instruction on the shipping box is just so much feel good for the shipper because none of the major shippers will guarantee orientation on your package--something they all conveniently neglect to tell you--if it is shipped ground.
Old 01-30-09, 09:48 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I avoid UPS like the plague. One of theirs brought me a new Dell computer. He held it at his shoulder level, and right in front of me - he dropped it onto the floor. Then he laughed and said; "That's nothing. You should see what we do to 'em at the plant!"

He kept laughing until he saw the look in my eyes. He ran for his van. Of course, the computer was dead. Dell sent, next-day air-freight, the entire guts for a new computer, and had a technician on my doorstep at 9:00am. Dell stopped shipping UPS and went to FedEx.

I've never seen that driver again.

Good luck, Jim. Take no prisoners.
Old 01-30-09, 10:01 PM
fiataccompli
Steel Member

Bikes: N + 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
bummer to hear. makes me feel pretty lucky about two bike shipments i've received. I've shipped everything in the world but bikes, but i'm definitely more educated now. BTW, if you end up settling and are seriously in search of a very nice Pug, I happened on a PX10 w/ Campy Record, eat off it condition, etc. locally...it will make someone really happy, but alas, that someone won't be me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.