Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dumb question about hybrid vs. road bikes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-21, 06:45 PM
adamz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love riding my above-average quality/well-maintained hybrid bike around town, weather permitting, every day. Sometimes I ride about 40 miles a day, to work, to the store, to friends' houses, and so forth. I am thinking about joining the local bike club and riding with them. There seem to be club options from 20 to 45 miles. I will laugh along with the club regulars if they chuckle at me for joining them with my hybrid, but I would appreciate you all telling me why I should buy a road bike if I want to become a club regular.
Old 03-16-21, 06:49 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 1,017 Posts
I rode a hybrid on group rides....did not matter. In fact, there was a guy that used to ride inline skates...join in have fun.

Old 03-16-21, 07:01 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22609 Post(s)
Liked 8,933 Times in 4,164 Posts
If you ride safely, it should not be a problem.
Old 03-16-21, 07:17 PM
guachi

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
The biggest issue is likely to be weaker aerodynamics and you'll have fewer hand positions but on a shorter ride it's not a problem. There are hybrids you can get that are basically road bikes with flat bars so the rest of the bike is basically the same.
Likes For guachi:
Old 03-16-21, 09:20 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by adamz
I love riding my above-average quality/well-maintained hybrid bike around town, weather permitting, every day. Sometimes I ride about 40 miles a day, to work, to the store, to friends' houses, and so forth. I am thinking about joining the local bike club and riding with them. There seem to be club options from 20 to 45 miles. I will laugh along with the club regulars if they chuckle at me for joining them with my hybrid, but I would appreciate you all telling me why I should buy a road bike if I want to become a club regular.
The real issue isn't the length of the ride. It's the average speed of the ride. Hybrids will likely be heavier and depending on the rider, slower than road bikes. If you're strong enough to keep up, go for it. In most cases (not necessarily all) a road bike will make club rides easier as speeds and distances go up. You should also consider what kind of riding you may want to be doing in a year or two...club or solo.
Likes For MAK:
Old 03-17-21, 06:28 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
What kind of club is it? Large clubs usually have different kinds of rides for riders of all kinds of bikes and at all skill levels, and the rides are advertised accordingly.

At least that is how the big club by me does it.
Old 03-17-21, 06:43 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
How about a 20-40 mile ride in a single ride, not the accumulation of a few?
Old 03-17-21, 11:57 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
Man, this seems to be a mid-march phenomenon, lotta "can I..." questions about clubs. Basically, if your engine is strong enough and you can keep pace, AND you can ride safely in formation, the hardware doesn't matter one bit. And any critique will vanish after ride #1. And if there are any adverse comments after that, it's not really about your bike. Best suggestion I have is to talk to a friendly member about what capabilities they expect from new riders. Then go try that solo and make sure you're up to it. You probably are.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 03-17-21, 12:07 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
The riding position of hybrid bikes is SIGNIFICANTLY less aero than road bikes. If you are riding an upright hybrid and are fitter than those riding road bikes, you will do well. If you are equally as fit as those riding road bikes, you will work harder and suffer more than them, especially if you take the front. If you are less fit than them, you WILL be dropped, over and over again, and cause them to wait for you, which may, or may not be, what that group likes to do.
Old 03-17-21, 01:31 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
First you have to know what that "club" you are wanting to join is all about. Is that really your style of riding or desire?

Hybrid bikes tend to be for those that don't ride many miles at a time. Sure, some do it. My son rode his first century on Trek Marlin 29er. He got road bike after that and the Trek Marlin pretty much sits in the garage since.

So for a group that might possibly be doing one or two long rides a week, then you might be looking at the wrong people to play with.
Old 03-17-21, 03:19 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
The riding position of hybrid bikes is SIGNIFICANTLY less aero than road bikes. If you are riding an upright hybrid and are fitter than those riding road bikes, you will do well. If you are equally as fit as those riding road bikes, you will work harder and suffer more than them, especially if you take the front. If you are less fit than them, you WILL be dropped, over and over again, and cause them to wait for you, which may, or may not be, what that group likes to do.
Bit of a generalisation there.
You can achieve a reasonably good position on a Hybrid as long as it hasn't got a crazy high stack height.
Slammed stem of suitable length you can get close to top of hoods position on a drop bar bike.
When pulling on the front by holding the bars near the stem with elbows bent and tucked in the aero is pretty good.
Likes For Dean V:
Old 03-17-21, 03:29 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Speed is the issue. Hybrids are significantly, significantly slower. Whether it matters for a particular group's speed/rider's strength is up to said rider and group.
Old 03-17-21, 04:53 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 977 Posts
Originally Posted by adamz
What is missing here is what hybrid bike you are riding. Hybrids run the gamut from comfort bikes to flat bar road bikes. A comfort hybrid would not be what you want for most bike club rides. A hybrid which is pretty much a flat bar road bike would do just fine for most group riding. Without knowing what "hybrid" you ride, there is no way to know what reaction you might get or what your riding experience for your first group ride might be like
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 03-18-21, 06:23 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
I agree about the kind of hybrid bike you have. I had a Giant Rapid with flat bars, but by all accounts it is a road bike--relatively light, Tiagra drivetrain, 25mm tires, caliper rim brakes...it's the sister bike to the Giant Defy drop bar bike. And when I rode it it was every bit as fast as a road bike, especially when I put bar ends on it that allowed me to stretch out and get more aero on it.

My buddy has a Trek FX hybrid with knobby 35mm tires, upright position, and heavy as heck. I rode on it one time and it was just sluggish has anything.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 03-18-21, 09:25 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,066 Times in 4,483 Posts
There was a strong guy who rode a flat bar bike with my road club and he was fine, even on longer rides. The club also has slower rides where everyone is encouraged to join and they just cruise along and enjoy the ride.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-18-21, 12:47 PM
CoogansBluff

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
I did a metric century on a hybrid before I bought my first road bike, and it was fine. Key was getting road bike tires. Hybrid was still slower than a road bike, but it closed the gap significantly. Though I've not tried, I could probably manage group rides on the hybrid (w/ the fast tires) if it was 2 mph slower than typical rides that I join.
Old 03-19-21, 08:01 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 712 Posts
For the first six months that I was a member of our cycle club I rode a hybrid (Trek 750) and nobody laughed at me

...well, not about that bike at least.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 03-19-21, 08:35 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Its easy. Know the speed of the group you are riding with. If it fits your riding, join in. No need for aero bike in my club where eg. Group 2 rides at 20-22kmh average and leader controls the speed. Now in Group 6, unless you are a superhuman (pro racer) I would suggest against it.