Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Stretching Suggestions

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Stretching Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-21, 11:50 AM
bikehoco

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
Stretching Suggestions

Any suggestions for pre and post ride stretching and/or recommended sites with info?

I have an extremely stiff body and need to stretch daily whether I ride or not. I’m looking to add more stretches to my routine.

I envy people who don’t need to stretch.
Old 11-09-21, 12:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by bikehoco
Any suggestions for pre and post ride stretching and/or recommended sites with info?

I have an extremely stiff body and need to stretch daily whether I ride or not. I’m looking to add more stretches to my routine.

I envy people who don’t need to stretch.

I don't stretch and wouldn't try to convince you to stop, but be very careful about pre-ride stretches. Most stretches are safe, but people apparently can injure themselves stretching a cold muscle too much per medical studies. My understanding is that trainers and pros have been moving towards something called "dynamic stretching" that essentially seeks to warm up and stretch the muscles simultaneously. The traditional static pre-workout stretching likely does more harm than good.
Old 11-09-21, 12:23 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
My answer is one word - yoga!

This works for me. I do yoga classes at my gym once or twice a week and find it very therapeutic. Do I recommend it? Yes.
in the past I have responded with my opinion that yoga is beneficial & lots of folks said stretching & yoga for injury prevention isn’t applicable to everyone. I can accept that & will leave it at that.

Last edited by masi61; 11-09-21 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-09-21, 12:55 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Stretch on your bike while riding.
Use the drops.
Shift back on the saddle and reach out on the hoods.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 11-09-21, 02:05 PM
bikehoco

Originally Posted by livedarklions
people apparently can injure themselves stretching a cold muscle too much per medical studies.
Agreed. I generally do a warm-up ride on an old stationary bike before my pre-ride stretch.
Likes For bikehoco:
Old 11-09-21, 02:09 PM
bikehoco

Originally Posted by masi61
My doctor made the same suggestion. But I don’t feel limber enough to even start yoga.
Likes For bikehoco:
Old 11-09-21, 02:16 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

My doctor made the same suggestion. But I don’t feel limber enough to even start yoga.

This is my issue, I am not at all a stretchy person, so stretching actually is really unpleasant for me. As far as I can tell, my lack of stretchiness prevents me from performing interpretive dances and makes stretching exercises difficult, but is otherwise not any detriment to my workouts/rides or activities of daily living.

Alas, my career as a contortionist will never amount to much.

When you say you're "stiff", is that a source of pain or otherwise hindering what you want to do? Honest question, I just find the desire to stretch really hard to relate to.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-09-21, 02:35 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
I don't feel that stretching does anything for you on the bike. On a correctly set up bike you aren't going to be able to hyper-extend your joints which is what I thought stretching was originally intended to help with for other types of exercise.

Now if you are talking about warming up, well there is maybe something for that. However I prefer to just warm up on the bike.

Getting back to the stretching part, if you need incentive to do things that will cause you to move each joint to it's fullest and keep you limber, then yoga or pilates might be for you. Or most any other well rounded exercise program.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-09-21, 03:15 PM
Greg R

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
I use a warm room in the morning, that being the den. Slow moving with stretches I remember from gym class and boot camp followed with that Tai Chi (?) for beginners Things make noise now, but I don't get near the sprains and back ache I did without them.
Old 11-09-21, 04:16 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
You can do it ! Yoga can be for everyone. There are good yoga programs for disabled, for mobility challenged seniors, for limber and lithe young- everyone.
The key is to find a good start class/program. One you can do 'in-person' and focused on beginners.
And instructors present a balanced series of poses, meant to equal effort to poses which provide a balanced session.
The benefits of yoga are not realized so much in the short term, as they are after some consistent, regular 'practice' over time.
I always recommend doing 'in-person' because an instructor can help tailor the 'practice' (name for a session) for what can work for you.
A Key is to not force thru yoga poses. Doing as much as possible, within a safe, comfortable zone (which can be different for everyone) is key.
Better to do them as they are shown, and not reach for a 'goal'. The real goal is overall improvement - Over Time.
If needed, an instructor will show modifications to 'poses', which allow similar effects as the std pose.
Best is to not be self-judgemental, do what you can - it's ok to be kind to yourself.
And maybe, between a weekly class/practice, take a few minutes on some days and do some poses on your own - ok to do the ones you like.
It's always a good time to start yoga. It reaches beyond the physical and will help you feel better about yourself, as well.
Give it good try!
Ride On
Yuri
EDIT: Many adult or evening schools offer good yoga programs, as well as gyms and other health facilities. I strongly recommend a beginners program.
Getting into a program for experienced participants can be discouraging, and not well suited to allow beginners to progress. It's OK to question suitability and start slow.

Last edited by cyclezen; 11-09-21 at 04:22 PM.
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 11-09-21, 04:57 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
You are not alone. I am a firm believer in stretching. As we get older our muscles shrink and are more prone to injury. My problems were solved after my doctor set me up with a physical therapist. He gave me a routine that I use for cycling. Said to do a warm up on the bike before heavy pedalling and only do the stretches after the ride when the muscles
are warmed up. I can really tell the difference in my back and legs especially. Here is a setretch routine from the bicycle.com site. Prettty much the same as what I do.
Don't stretch so far to feel pain, just feel the muscle stretch and hold. This isnt a no pain no gain thing haha

https://www.bicycling.com/training/a...est-stretches/
Likes For frogman:
Old 11-09-21, 05:01 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
Get medical advice from your doc/physical therapist, not here
Old 11-09-21, 05:07 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
I don't stretch before or after a ride. This might be somewhat of a hindrance since it takes me about 20 minutes or more to warm up. But I would rather warm up moving than staying still. After a ride, the next morning when I get out of bed it sounds like popcorn popping.
Old 11-09-21, 05:17 PM
frogman

It shouldn't take 20 minutes to warm up on the bike. Just do gentle pedalling for a few minutes to get warmed up.
Old 11-09-21, 05:31 PM
Dan Flashes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts
same, I always do some yoga before riding. There are good videos by “yoga with adriene” on YouTube. She has a beginners video that’s 20 minutes long, and I do most of those before I ride, plus a few extra stretches for my back like the yoga snake pose. I would post the link to the video, but I haven’t posted here enough to be able to do that yet.

Originally Posted by masi61

This works for me. I do yoga classes at my gym once or twice a week and find it very therapeutic. Do I recommend it? Yes.
in the past I have responded with my opinion that yoga is beneficial & lots of folks said stretching & yoga for injury prevention isn’t applicable to everyone. I can accept that & will leave it at that.
Likes For Dan Flashes:
Old 11-09-21, 05:35 PM
Dan Flashes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts
^ also I should say the total amount of stretching yoga I do before riding is probably about 12 minutes worth. Going through the beginners video, you’ll notice that not all the stretches are applicable to riding and so some I skip.
Old 11-09-21, 06:05 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Find the right class/instructor. There are opportunities for people of all conditions. I taught a chair yoga class for older veterans through the local YMCA. Some were very stiff and immobile but loosened up after a few classes.

I don't stretch before riding, but always 20-30 minutes of yoga after a ride targeting quads, calves, hamstrings, and back. If I don't, my tendency to restless leg syndrome is exacerbated which interferes with sleep.
Old 11-09-21, 06:06 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf

See post #6.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 11-09-21, 06:23 PM
bikehoco

Ok, I’ll do that when I need medical advice.
Likes For bikehoco:
Old 11-09-21, 06:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Usually, I agree with that, but since when is stretching a medical issue?
Old 11-09-21, 07:46 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Usually, I agree with that, but since when is stretching a medical issue?
Or since when is stretching a remedy for a medical issue ??
Old 11-09-21, 09:12 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Or since when is stretching a remedy for a medical issue ??
No one said it was.
Old 11-10-21, 12:17 AM
frogman

If you stretch you may be able to prevent a medical issue
Likes For frogman:
Old 11-10-21, 03:41 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
If you stretch you may be able to prevent a medical issue
Stretching isn't going prevent injuries or heal injuries or resolve medical issues....Stretching is just a waste of time and can actually cause injuries.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 11-10-21, 04:24 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Stretching isn't going prevent injuries or heal injuries or resolve medical issues....Stretching is just a waste of time and can actually cause injuries.
Reading threads that you have no interest in is just a waste of time.
Likes For PeteHski:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.