Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fat man wanted to try out roadbike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-23, 12:16 AM
lato4ka

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I'm 135kg and I wanted to get a road bike but all the road bike max weight is 120kg . But I saw some other riders on road also look same size as me or even bigger but they are riding those market road bike .so anyone can provide me some advise
Old 11-01-23, 03:10 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by lato4ka
Hi, I'm 135kg and I wanted to get a road bike but all the road bike max weight is 120kg . But I saw some other riders on road also look same size as me or even bigger but they are riding those market road bike .so anyone can provide me some advise
They can probably take more weight but haven’t safety tested and can’t risk the liability. There was a guy who was much bigger than you who started on a strong steel hybrid and put in enough miles to drop to a weight that was within the road bike max.
Likes For choddo:
Old 11-01-23, 03:11 AM
choddo

Found him. This guy
https://theamazing39stonecyclist.wor...vy-for-a-bike/
Old 11-01-23, 04:31 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
I would get a gravel bike with slightly wider tyres. A lot of those are also rated at 120 kg, but you will be fine. The limits are very conservative anyway, but a gravel bike will tend to have stronger wheels and components, which is likely to be the limiting factor regarding weight.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-01-23, 05:19 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
It will handle it. Start with a used bicycle and get your way to a nice one in a few years. If you're motivated enough, you'll melt quickly.
Old 11-01-23, 05:21 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
At one point in time I weighed more than you and I was riding this bike. I picked it up used and it was only a couple of years old when I got it. It had very solid wheels, 32 spoke mavic box rim with ultegra hubs. Never had an issue with the bike or wheels. Generally the frames are not going to cause you any issues, but you do need to make sure you are not rolling lightweight low spoke rims. Depending on the power output, 28 minimum spoke count would serve you well. At some point in time, I picked up some Boyd Altamont Alloy rims with 28 spoke on the rear and 24 on the front and they maintain trueness the 5 years that I owned them, as I lost weight. They are still rolling on a bike I sold to a friend of my wife.

So don't let the weight thing keep you from looking, just be smart about it and do some research, talk to a wheel builder so they will know what you riding conditions and needs are and they can recommend what would be best for you.

Edit, and these were 23mm tires on this bike, not the plush tires running these days. PeteHski mentioned gravel bike, that could be a great option if you can find a good used one.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 11-01-23 at 05:34 AM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 11-01-23, 06:06 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
Wheels are the issue.

I would also avoid any real light weight type contact points - like light weight carbon bars or seat posts.

I started back riding at 118kg +/- - picked up a used bike with a mix of Dura Ace parts, Dura Ace wheels...

I cracked both wheels.

I also exploded a set of lightweight CF handlebars - with a very bad outcome.

I started riding a Cyclocross bike after that - bomb proof.

Then I moved to an aluminum Emonda with stock heavy parts, bomb proof for the most part. Had issues with freehubs, but the wheels stayed true.

As I lose weight and get down into "cyclist" weigh ranges, I am replacing the heavy stuff with lighter weight components.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 11-01-23, 06:06 AM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 39 Posts
I weigh 250Lbs (113 kilos) and I recently bought the Niner RTL alloy (aluminum). Its built as tough as their MTB's which is pretty beefy. You can put up to 50mm 700c tires. It has to be one of the stoutest frames out there. I ride it on the road and the gravel using 38mm Panaracer Gravel king SS tires and DT Swiss E1800 wheels.

Last edited by Breadfan; 11-01-23 at 06:34 AM.
Old 11-01-23, 09:03 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
If you aren't going to be racing like a pro athlete and riding extremely fast on a very bumpy road, I think you will be safe enough and the frame will handle it.

Welcome to BF
Old 11-01-23, 11:41 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
I'm over 200 lbs. I ride road bikes with carbon wheels. Sometimes I have to true a wheel here or there. No biggie. I do ride at max tire pressure most of the time. Makes for some discomfort at times.
Keep more spokes in your wheels, they'll need them. 30-32s work well. No carbon seat posts. I have a collection of them all broken just above the clamp in the back of the tube ftpm flexing. That's not a place I want any carbon fiber splinters to have to be removed from. I prefer Thomson's.
You will have to expect higher maintenance. And higher parts failure. But it's still doable.
Old 11-01-23, 12:05 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
welcome to BF. I hope you find your bike and enjoy cycling. I know some quite large people who ride mountain and road bikes - it's doable, and to me, quite admirable.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 11-01-23, 12:11 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
I'm over 200 lbs. I ride road bikes with carbon wheels. Sometimes I have to true a wheel here or there. No biggie. I do ride at max tire pressure most of the time. Makes for some discomfort at times.
Keep more spokes in your wheels, they'll need them. 30-32s work well. No carbon seat posts. I have a collection of them all broken just above the clamp in the back of the tube ftpm flexing. That's not a place I want any carbon fiber splinters to have to be removed from. I prefer Thomson's.
You will have to expect higher maintenance. And higher parts failure. But it's still doable.
Good point on the wheels.

The wheels I referenced above were aluminum Dura Ace with a very low spoke count. They cracked around the nipple area. Underbuilt to keep the weight down... Wheels that were designed for racer type builds, not clyde's.
Old 11-01-23, 01:37 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
OP: bf has a subforum for Clydesdales -- that's the term for larger-than-typical cyclists. You might ask a moderator to move this thread over there, as those folks will have useful input for you.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-02-23, 05:18 AM
88ss

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 55 Posts
Just look in your local classifieds and buy an old consumer-grade steel road bike from the 80s on up for pocket-change and go riding, If you drop pounds in the future then you can buy one of the new throw-away carbon bikes that are trendy and fashionable today. I am well over 200 pounds and in my 60s and I just cut a 21.75mph lap around a local Time-Trial course on a road bike from the 1980s, something a lot of riders can not do no matter what bicycle they are on. For larger riders the weight of the bicycle is such a small percentage of the total bike/rider weight, that it is a waste of time worrying about how much the bicycle weighs within reason. For big people any bike that is 30 pounds is as good as one that weighs 20.
Likes For 88ss:
Old 11-02-23, 05:57 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
If going fast is not your concern and getting fit is, consider a touring bike as an option.
Most are made of mid grade steel and have wide gear ranges. You will be more upright and the wheelsets are more robust to carry high weights.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 11-02-23, 07:05 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
My older road bike is a steel Bianchi that has seen me as high as 107kg all the way down to a featherweight (for me) 80kg (about 90kg now). She’s 9.5kg, so while no featherweight, still quite respectable. Frame, carbon fork, and low spoke count wheels are all still in good shape, though the brake tracks are on their way out and the rear hub is shot.

I’ll recommend getting a good seatpost whatever you end up with, and not a single-bolt item - I ride Thomsons on my bikes. Having the bolt holding the saddle snap when you still have a long distance to go is not fun!
Old 11-02-23, 03:13 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I would get a gravel bike with slightly wider tyres. A lot of those are also rated at 120 kg, but you will be fine. The limits are very conservative anyway, but a gravel bike will tend to have stronger wheels and components, which is likely to be the limiting factor regarding weight.
A gravel bike is a great suggestion for someone who is stockier and when paired with wheels having 28 spokes (each) should be fairly bombproof.
Old 11-02-23, 05:06 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Is the issue finding a bike shop that will let you test ride some of their inventory?
Old 11-02-23, 07:39 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
I’ve ridden lots of bikes at 120 kilos. Are you sure you want a road bike? A lot of those “fitness hybrids” are pretty fast and if a workout is what you are after, you might find it more comfortable.

that being said pretty much any road bike would be fine. A light carbon road bike is kind of redundant at your weight, but it shouldn’t crack. I’d go with a cheap road bike and it will probably end up being aluminum and will work out totally fine.

what will break are your back wheels, with normal wheels you will break spokes, but this won’t make the wheel fail or you crash. You can get fancy wheels with lots of spokes, but personally I’ve never bothered. Breaking spokes is part of the game, just accept it and fix it or get it fixed when it happens, in my opinion.
Old 11-03-23, 01:11 AM
choddo

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
what will break are your back wheels, with normal wheels you will break spokes, but this won’t make the wheel fail or you crash. You can get fancy wheels with lots of spokes, but personally I’ve never bothered. Breaking spokes is part of the game, just accept it and fix it or get it fixed when it happens, in my opinion.
Do you mean for heavier riders? I’m 80 kilos, started riding seriously at closer to 90 about 13 years ago and ridden low spoke count wheels most of that time, some radial and never broken one.
Old 11-03-23, 04:02 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Breaking spokes is part of the game, just accept it and fix it or get it fixed when it happens, in my opinion.
Breaking spokes is very much an optional part of the game IMO.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-03-23, 05:27 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
I’ve ridden lots of bikes at 120 kilos. Are you sure you want a road bike? A lot of those “fitness hybrids” are pretty fast and if a workout is what you are after, you might find it more comfortable.

that being said pretty much any road bike would be fine. A light carbon road bike is kind of redundant at your weight, but it shouldn’t crack. I’d go with a cheap road bike and it will probably end up being aluminum and will work out totally fine.

Having broken a spoke or two when I was really heavy riding cheap wheels, it is not an option I would choose if I could avoid it. Getting the proper equipment for the job at hand is what you should shoot for, not fishing a rusted wheel out of a dumpster and going for a 100 mile ride and hoping you make it. Safety for everyone is the better part of the game. It has been over 15 years since I had a broken spoke and that is when I decided I needed to invest in some better quality wheels, and never had a wheel problem since. I can not remember the last time I had to have a wheel trued.

Old 11-03-23, 06:36 PM
choddo

Be kind of cool if the OP ever came back and acknowledged any of the advice people spent their time contributing.
Old 11-03-23, 07:54 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Having broken a spoke or two when I was really heavy riding cheap wheels, it is not an option I would choose if I could avoid it. Getting the proper equipment for the job at hand is what you should shoot for, not fishing a rusted wheel out of a dumpster and going for a 100 mile ride and hoping you make it. Safety for everyone is the better part of the game. It has been over 15 years since I had a broken spoke and that is when I decided I needed to invest in some better quality wheels, and never had a wheel problem since. I can not remember the last time I had to have a wheel trued.
OP may need a link to the dumpster find vodka thread to grasp the reference to dumpster diving.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 11-06-23, 09:05 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
I am a member of the 1/8-ton+ crowd, and I ride low-spoke-count wheels and hard skinny tires (23s) on half my bikes, and nothing more than 28 mm and 32 spokes on any bikes but my MTB. I don't break frames, spokes, seat posts, stems, cranks .... the stuff is tough. Manufacturers put max-load ratings on their bikes for insurance reasons ... some people will do massive abuse to their bikes for no reason and refuse to take responsibility ..... but I have loaded my touring bikes with ridiculous loads of gear and ridden ridiculous distances with no harm, and no failures.

Unless or are 220 kg or some such .... just buy a bike. If you weigh 220 kg, I recommend 36-spoke rims at least---look into wheels for tandems.

Just get out there on a bike. Even for fat guys, it is a ton of fun. Don't the skinny guys have it all to themselves ... make some for yourself.
Likes For Maelochs:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.