Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does a more upright position give more power?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Does a more upright position give more power?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-21, 08:38 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
It's all about what you have trained. In general, you could train yourself to go faster on a drop bar bike than an upright comfort bike. But if all your training to go faster is on an upright comfort bike, you will be faster on that bike.

One time I was about a half mile from home and a guy on a hybrid pulls in front of me and gives me the look. I was tired, but there was no way I was going to ignore that. Well, I never caught him. He sat very upright too, not like when you see mountain bikers pushing hard in a bent over position.
Old 05-22-21, 09:26 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Obviously you choose to ignore the part I wrote about ”leaning your FULL body forward”.
And the part about ”bending at the hip”.
I don't think I'm disputing you. I don't think I ignored any of what you said. Most of what I've read is about road riding and road fitting, because that's what I ride. I am much more comfortable when I bend at the hip. Read the notes on Peter White's site about setting up a good bike fit, and go through Steve Hogg's site. Then you'll have a fuller picture of what I'm noticing.

I also think your description of energy versus power is very good - glad to see a good application of basic physics in this.

Last edited by Road Fan; 05-22-21 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-22-21, 09:35 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by dabac
Obviously you choose to ignore the part I wrote about ”leaning your FULL body forward”.
And the part about ”bending at the hip”.
If you look at how this position works out on a road racing, touring, or audax bike, the rider will be bent forward from the hip, typically 45 degrees plus or minus a good margin. But the butt and hence the saddle must move backwards. The butt setback could requre the bars to move back as well.

In my experience added arm force can significantly improve my sense of power. I don't use a power meter so I don't know if I'm really making more watts.
Old 05-22-21, 09:38 PM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by wphamilton
Quick question: are you guys imagining the body weight doing work on the pedals when you're in the saddle?
Yes, one guy at least said the body weight is the most you can give. I think you can get a little more if you also pull up or back on the handlebars. Subjectively I think it helps a lot.
Old 05-22-21, 09:45 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
For me when I could negotiate a steep climb I found it better to be over the bars hands on the front of my break levers and tip toes in the pedals. That is where I was stretched and my chest was above the front axil.

(Now days a steep climb is an exercise in futility... Yep)
Old 05-22-21, 11:48 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
You can also open your hip angle on a road bike by sitting at the tip of the nose (if your saddle allows you to do that without hurting the family jewels) and sitting more upright by holding the ramps or tops of the dropbar. I do that a lot when doing long and steep climbs.
The negative trade-off for moving forward on the saddle is a smaller knee angle. This actually reduces the force you can put into the pedals. It's the equivalent of doing squats from a low starting position.

The stronger position for climbing is with your hips pushed back on the saddle, which opens the knee angle and allows more force to be applied to the pedal.

Proper seated climbing form, from us.humankinetics.com

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-23-21, 08:25 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Quads require open knee angles to make higher torque.

Glutes and core muscles require open hips to make higher torque.

Use both, open both by dropping heel and moving forward on the saddle. It feels better, makes climbs easier. Why not?
Drop heel, yes. And sit back on saddle, and sit more upright with hands on tops.

That position makes climbing less fatiguing.

Leave the sit-on-the-saddle-nose trick to mountain bikers.

One technique that I encourage in my athletes when they are climbing in the saddle is to slide a little farther back on the saddle and drop the heels slightly to better engage the hamstrings. This approach allows the upper legs (femurs) to act even more like a lever to concentrate force on the downward stroke of the crank arm. The result can be a 5- to 10-watt improvement in power output.
-- Cheung & Zabala, Cycling Science
A classic endurance climbing position: seated comfortably in center-to-back of saddle, hands on tops, elbows bent, chest open and forward, heels down, head up, eyes looking up the road.

Terry Morse, Heartbreak Hundred (2006-ish)

Last edited by terrymorse; 05-23-21 at 09:16 AM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-23-21, 10:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
IMO a person that sits pretty much at a level of the crank on a recumbent bike can probably exert more power. Even standing a cyclist can only exert his weight, plus what force he can add by pulling up on the handle bars. On a bent he can apply power greater than his weight by wedging his leg between the pedal and the back of his seat. Pretty much like sitting on the floor and pushing against a refrigerator to move it.

Which is why that's the preferred method of moving refrigerators?!?!?

I produce a lot of power sitting on the seat of my upright bike. You literally have no clue here whatsoever.
Old 05-23-21, 10:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Let's keep in mind that as you climb, the front wheel is higher than the rear, so if you're remaining seated, you're essentially "leaning" forward compared to your flatland riding position.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-23-21, 03:36 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

(Sitting on the saddle nose) also helps restore balance in steep climbs so you don't pull hard on the handlebar, wasting energy in the process.
I am not convinced that pulling on the bars in a steep climb is necessarily wasted energy. That pull helps engage your torso over the bars, which allows you to put more downward force into the pedals.

You've probably seen pro cyclists climbing steep grades, rocking their torsos side to side and downwards on each pedal down stroke. They are using the upper bodies to put as much force into the pedals as they can. They're also using their arms to move their torsos.

Just today, I went up a short but steep grade with a fairly high gear, in the saddle.

With hands in the drops and chest leaning over the bars, I was rocking my shoulders side to side, pulling gently back on the bars on each pedal stroke. It felt powerful, and I made it to the top without dropping my cadence. I couldn't have done that without the use of my torso and arms.

Give Your Legs Help

When the grade gets so steep that you’re sliding into standstill (and topple) territory, tuck your elbows into your sides, dip your torso toward the bars, and gently but firmly pull back on the bars with every downstroke. This lets you transfer power from your upper body through your core and into your legs to assist you in forward progress.

-- Tricks to Help You Climb Better on Your Bike, Bicycling, 2021-03-12
Watch this cyclist use his upper body to climb a super steep grade:

Credit: GCN

Last edited by terrymorse; 05-23-21 at 04:18 PM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-23-21, 06:55 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I am not convinced that pulling on the bars in a steep climb is necessarily wasted energy. That pull helps engage your torso over the bars, which allows you to put more downward force into the pedals.

You've probably seen pro cyclists climbing steep grades, rocking their torsos side to side and downwards on each pedal down stroke. They are using the upper bodies to put as much force into the pedals as they can. They're also using their arms to move their torsos
Pulling up on the bars allows you to expend more energy and do more work, because you are pedaling through the same distance with more downward force. The pull is, of course, necessary so you don’t don’t push yourself back off the saddle.

Otto
Old 05-23-21, 07:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

You've probably seen pro cyclists climbing steep grades, rocking their torsos side to side and downwards on each pedal down stroke. They are using the upper bodies to put as much force into the pedals as they can. They're also using their arms to move their torsos.

Just today, I went up a short but steep grade with a fairly high gear, in the saddle.

With hands in the drops and chest leaning over the bars, I was rocking my shoulders side to side, pulling gently back on the bars on each pedal stroke. It felt powerful, and I made it to the top without dropping my cadence. I couldn't have done that without the use of my torso and arms.

I realized today, and I think this video bears me out, that I'm pulling on the bars in part (at least) to counteract the sway in my hips as I climb. Definitely helps generate power.
Old 05-24-21, 08:54 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
There are thousands of post on pedaling in circles. Yet the more or less horizontal position I have on my trike seems to end up in pretty much a push pull situation.

I have no proof but it seems to me that this push pull actions allows me to put out a lot more power that I did on an upright position on a DF bike. It could also be acquiring "recumbent legs" after all these years on bents. It has been 16 years on bents.
Old 05-25-21, 05:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

There are thousands of post on pedaling in circles. Yet the more or less horizontal position I have on my trike seems to end up in pretty much a push pull situation.

I have no proof but it seems to me that this push pull actions allows me to put out a lot more power that I did on an upright position on a DF bike. It could also be acquiring "recumbent legs" after all these years on bents. It has been 16 years on bents.

Really a different question than the op because, as you point out, it's not the same pedalling motion. You're right that you can produce more power in the flat than you would on a dd frame bike, but you can't "recruit" gravity by standing on the pedals which is really the only power advantage a dd frame has. You're also developing muscles somewhat differently than you would on a dd bike.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-25-21, 06:24 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts

A recumbent makes a primary component of the discussion null......hip angle. It's wide open. Additionally I would assume the seated position is superior for delivering power without relying on as many supporting core/arm muscles also (but I'd let you tell us that, as that's an assumption).

So part of it is that you're already in a far superior hip angle situation one way or another. As stated before, often a primary reason folks make a lot less power on their TT bike than their road bike. And a primary driver of UCI rules against TT bikes.....prevent TT bike riders from adopting a prone-recumbent position. Folks who "get" that tend to understand TT bike fit and do well with it as you understand that if there's rules against it, that's what your ultimate goal in that fit is..........get as close within the rules as you can to a prone recumbent position.
Old 05-25-21, 08:36 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18419 Post(s)
Liked 15,560 Times in 7,332 Posts
A classic endurance climbing position: seated comfortably in center-to-back of saddle, hands on tops, elbows bent, chest open and forward, heels down, head up, eyes looking up the road.

FIFY

Terry Morse, Heartbreak Hundred (2006-ish)
A classic endurance climbing position: seated comfortably in center-to-back of saddle, hands on tops, elbows bent, chest open and forward, heels down, head up, eyes looking up the road, arm warmers 2/3 of the way down, morning paper sticking way up from jersey pocket, mini frame pump, dirty, mismatched water bottles and different length valves with different color caps.

FIFY
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-25-21, 08:56 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4259 Post(s)
Liked 1,361 Times in 943 Posts

Bobbing his upper body up-and-down isn't helping him. He get more benefit, with less energy expenditure, keeping his upper body stable.

Everytime his body drops, there's less pulling on the bars and less weight for him to pedal against.

In the usual case, one's pedal force is limited by body weight. If you push too hard, you lift yourself up.

You can add more pedal force by pulling on the handlebar.

Rocking torsos side-to-side is a means of moving the body weight over the pedals. Or a result of using the bike as a lever (or blending both things).

At a low cadence, one can use the bike as a lever by pulling fairly forcefully on the opposite side across the bike.

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-25-21 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-25-21, 09:01 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by indyfabz;22075111, [u
arm warmers 2/3 of the way down, morning paper sticking way up from jersey pocket, mini frame pump, dirty, mismatched water bottles and different length valves with different color caps[/u].
Thanks, Style Cop. ;-)

But you forgot to mention "stem not flipped".

BTW not the morning paper. The course route sheet.

The mini-pump came in handy. I flatted twice in that King of the Mountains series.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-25-21, 09:03 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by njkayaker
Bobbing his upper body up-and-down isn't helping him.
Yes, it absolutely is. It's putting more force into the pedals at the top of the pedal stroke, right where he needs it the most to keep from stalling out.

Sit on the edge of a chair with your feet on a bathroom scale, leaning forwards. Note the reading on the scale.

Now rock your torso forward and back. Notice the scale reading rises substantially.

Last edited by terrymorse; 05-25-21 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-25-21, 09:19 AM
njkayaker

Yes, it absolutely is. It's putting more force into the pedals, keeping him from stalling out.
No, it's just dropping the weight forward of the pedals because he's breaking at the hip.

If he's pulling his body down with his arms, then that force isn't available for the feet to push against the pedal.

He might get a small advantage when the upper body bottoms out.

But it's much less effective than pulling on the bars and keeping is weight stable and over the pedals.

Notice the scale reading rises substantially.
"Rocking" seems to be moving side-to-side (which isn't the same). The person in the video isn't moving much side-to-side. He's bobbing (quickly bowing), breaking at the hip.

The bobbing feels like one is doing something but it isn't making the climb easier.

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-25-21 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-25-21, 09:53 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

He might get a small advantage when the upper body bottoms out.
Small advantage? You wouldn't say this if you've climbed a very steep grade in the saddle, where it's a full out effort just to keep the pedals turning.

A bobbing upper torso can make the difference between turning pedals and stalling out. Anyone put in that situation adopts the behavior naturally.

Old 05-25-21, 09:55 AM
njkayaker

Small advantage? You wouldn't say this if you've climbed a very steep grade in the saddle, where it's a full out effort just to keep the pedals turning.

A bobbing upper torso can make the difference between completing the climb and stalling out. Anyone put in that situation adopts the behavior naturally.
I've climbed steep grades.

It might be the only thing you have left. But that doesn't mean it's a good technique.

If the bobbing thing was such a great technique, it would be recommended in things written about climbing technique.

Facebook Post " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
Facebook Post " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-25-21 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-25-21, 11:17 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

{Bobbing) might be the only thing you have left. But that doesn't mean it's a good technique.
Is bobbing a "good" technique or a "bad" technique?

It depends on the situation, of course.

When the choice is pedaling or walking up a super steep grade, bobbing--which help keep the pedals turning--is a "good" technique.

In other situations, bobbing may indicate that the rider's quads are fatigued. They are engaging their core muscles to spare the quads. Some refer to this as "pedaling squares".

Old 05-25-21, 12:20 PM
njkayaker

Is bobbing a "good" technique or a "bad" technique?

It depends on the situation, of course.

When the choice is pedaling or walking up a super steep grade, bobbing--which help keep the pedals turning--is a "good" technique.
The video I linked to says it's not a good technique.

If it was ever a good technique in any reasonably common situations. it would be recommended more generally.

In other situations, bobbing may indicate that the rider's quads are fatigued. They are engaging their core muscles to spare the quads. Some refer to this as "pedaling squares".
No, they are just wasting energy.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 05-25-21, 12:30 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

The video I linked to says it's not a good technique.
Some guys on bikes said it doesn't look "pro". Well, that's the last word on that, isn't it?

they are just wasting energy.
"Wasting energy" -- stated as fact without supporting evidence.

At any rate, how high on the importance scale does "wasting energy" sit when your quads are fatigued or you can't make the pedals go round?

Bobbing engages core muscles to help put more force into the pedals. That's about all.

Last edited by terrymorse; 05-25-21 at 12:40 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.