Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Pro-Flex Off Road 252 - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-22, 08:34 AM
bvachon29

Bikes: Mongoose ATB/ Salsa Beargrease/ Orbea Occam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Pro-Flex Off Road 252 - Worth it?

I’ve been looking for a cheap “Dad” bike, something that has a qr rear axle to pull my sons burley. Came across this Pro-Flex Off-Road 252 that someone threw some road drops on. Thought it might make a cool retro “gravel” bike. Seller is asking $50, I’m assuming the elastomers are toast. Did a little digging and diy solutions seem to exist. Anything else to be on the lookout for? And lastly is it worth the money or move on to something else?
Old 06-28-22, 09:07 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
It's one of those bikes that are best owned by "those in the know", meaning someone that actually wants one, and has the elastomer thing figured out.

Without addressing the rear suspension (if needed) just adds expense and time for something that would not be the best choice for your stated application (trailer).

99% of the time, the cheap bicycles become expensive relative to their worth. It might work out fine, and it is different, and that's cool, but unless you really want it, I would pass.
Old 06-28-22, 09:23 AM
bvachon29

Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
It's one of those bikes that are best owned by "those in the know", meaning someone that actually wants one, and has the elastomer thing figured out.

Without addressing the rear suspension (if needed) just adds expense and time for something that would not be the best choice for your stated application (trailer).

99% of the time, the cheap bicycles become expensive relative to their worth. It might work out fine, and it is different, and that's cool, but unless you really want it, I would pass.
Thanks for the reply! I think that's the reality check I was looking for. I think deep down I always thought they were cool and that's what was the main driving factor rather than looking into the practicality of actually owning one for the purpose that I'd be using the bike for.
Old 06-28-22, 09:40 AM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
It may just need something like this. https://suspensionforkparts.net/esho....html?page=all
Old 06-28-22, 10:44 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by bvachon29
Thanks for the reply! I think that's the reality check I was looking for. I think deep down I always thought they were cool and that's what was the main driving factor rather than looking into the practicality of actually owning one for the purpose that I'd be using the bike for.
If you are going to make a dedicated (axle mount) trailer bike, the less pivot/linkage points you have on the frameset the better.
Old 06-28-22, 11:06 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Best bikes for trailer or trailer-cycle pulling are unsprung MTBs.

Old 06-28-22, 12:20 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Paid $30 for this one a couple of days ago, obviously incomplete. But it has Deore DX components, Girvin suspension stem and a few other useful bits like thumb shifters.

Girvin Flexstem alone covers price paid, so I would call this a no brainer. In my case, I am looking at about $175 in parts, plus the value of the frame, if it has any. Would I pay $30 for $175? Of course!

I see bar end shifters on yours, so I would rate it a no brainer too. The. $50 asking price covers the bar end shifters. Basically, I'd look at it as a "parts kit" to build the drop bar conversion of your choice. Or ride it complete, you decide!

I am assuming your example is a lower end model, so the parts are not going to be as juicy. On the other hand, yours is complete and has those bar end shifters. Winner!

Rather than evaluating the entire bike, I look at parts. Once I comfortably cover the asking price, I'm a buyer. Too many buyers just look at the whole, and dismiss it. I'm often asked where I find parts. I typically find them in the form of an incomplete bike, or even a complete bike. Looking past shortcomings and spotting valuable parts is a skill worth getting.

Last edited by wrk101; 06-28-22 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-28-22, 01:38 PM
bvachon29

Thanks everyone! All great points. I think I may still pick it up for the cool factor but for the hauling aspect I think I'll continue to keep looking!
Old 06-28-22, 03:25 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Oddly, this just appeared in my neighbourhood for $200. Note the missing elastomers on the rear suspension. I have to assume these are unobtanium?

Old 06-28-22, 03:34 PM
bvachon29

Originally Posted by clubman
Oddly, this just appeared in my neighbourhood for $200. Note the missing elastomers on the rear suspension. I have to assume these are unobtanium?

This site was linked earlier in this thread, should have what you need. https://suspensionforkparts.net/esho....html?page=all
Likes For bvachon29:
Old 07-11-22, 12:18 PM
ncrnelson

Bikes: 1983 Cannondale ST500, 1987 Cannondale SM400 with SA 3 speed hub, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1982 Schwinn Voyageur SP, 1992 Kona Explosif

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Lol

Originally Posted by bvachon29
I’ve been looking for a cheap “Dad” bike, something that has a qr rear axle to pull my sons burley. Came across this Pro-Flex Off-Road 252 that someone threw some road drops on. Thought it might make a cool retro “gravel” bike. Seller is asking $50, I’m assuming the elastomers are toast. Did a little digging and diy solutions seem to exist. Anything else to be on the lookout for? And lastly is it worth the money or move on to something else?
I just bought your bike at the goodwill for $30
Old 07-11-22, 12:58 PM
bvachon29

Originally Posted by ncrnelson
I just bought your bike at the goodwill for $30
Was it the goodwill in Champlin? lol. Either way nice pick up! How's the bike overall?