Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-22, 07:42 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,470 Times in 1,019 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
You don't. (Also I recently found that if you clean your chain with mineral spirits first, the wax doesn't last nearly as long.)
Really? You are supposed to dip the slightly dirty chain directly into the wax?

I have two waxed Shimano chains on two separate bikes. With one chain I started waxing about after riding 300 miles on the Shimano factory grease. With the other I started waxing when it was brand new. Both get dirty, but nowhere near as bad as using lube. So I always put the chain through two OMS baths, and dry thoroughly, before waxing.
Old 08-26-22, 07:56 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Does anyone do the Hokey Pokey to pass the time while the wax/chains are simmering away?
Old 08-26-22, 08:05 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
After pulling the chain out of the wax, I let it hang to cool and then pull it back and forth over a rod a few times (15-20 seconds?) to break the links free before reinstalling.

At intervals ~60% longer, I'm doing nothing between swaps.

Life time cleanings of cassette: 0. Lifetime scrapings of jockey wheels: 0. Lifetime cleanings of chainrings: 0. [With wet lubes, I was cleaning cassettes at least twice per year and not still being satisfied, while crud scraping was about the same - different kinds of street grime, I assume]
Sorry, my mistake. My stated experience cleaning cassettes and pulleys is the same as what you describe above for normally (wet) lubed chains, because mine is also for normally lubed chains. I don't swap my chains and clean them ultrasonically, so I can't say definitively how often cassettes and pulleys need to be cleaned when swapped and cleaned ultrasonically.

This was sparked by my, "but at what cost?" question with respect to keeping a wet-lubed drivetrain fastidiously clean. It seems to me that I'm doing less for each chain swap, I'm doing chain swaps significantly less frequently and my occasional cleanings are now never cleanings. This is pretty consistent with my earlier assertion that the initial chain stripping was the vast majority of the work involved with waxing. And then there's the monetary cost of the CrockPot (12 bucks, last I checked) vs that of an ultrasonic cleaner (more than 12 bucks, the last I checked).
I'm going to disagree with that. I think the "cost" of waxing and keeping a "fastidiously clean" non-waxed chain is basically the same:

1) The recurring labor cost of swapping & cleaning is the same, if the chains are swapped at the same intervals. 300 km is a typical interval recommended by wax manufacturers but, if 500 km works for you, then we can use 500 km as our interval. So, every 500 km, you perform the same basic labor in the two cases.

2) A fastidiously clean non-waxed chain will probably require no more cassette or pulley cleaning than a waxed chain. In the worst case, it may require a yearly cleaning of the cassette. But, the labor cost of that yearly cleaning is small -- one can simply toss the cassette into the ultrasonic cleaner after cleaning a batch of chains.

3) Equipment costs are very close. Waxers need a crockpot, but non-waxers do not. A non-waxer needs an ultrasonic cleaner, but a serious waxer would also probably have one for initial chain cleanings. (In either case, you could use always a soda bottle filled with solvent instead.) So, the ultrasonic cleaner is either a wash or a small ($50-$60) added expense for a non-waxer, and the crockpot is a small ($12) added expense for the waxer.
Old 08-26-22, 08:28 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Really? You are supposed to dip the slightly dirty chain directly into the wax?
That's what I do. The liquid paraffin itself works fine to clean the chain.

I have two waxed Shimano chains on two separate bikes. With one chain I started waxing about after riding 300 miles on the Shimano factory grease. With the other I started waxing when it was brand new. Both get dirty, but nowhere near as bad as using lube. So I always put the chain through two OMS baths, and dry thoroughly, before waxing.
My rides are in dry, dusty conditions (drought-stricken santa crud moon-dust). Your conditions might be different.
Old 08-26-22, 09:47 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
It puts the chain in the crock pot, or it gets the hose.

Old 08-26-22, 10:26 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
The conversation breaker is that "I've been greasing my chain with pig fat for 50 years and wiping it down with my sleeve cleans it perfectly and it takes me 10 seconds a month tops" is not a valid response to a method that claims to achieve the lowest friction/wear and sustained objective cleanliness in a long-term time efficient manner.

Facts remain
  • Waxed chains are faster, and so clean that they are faster for longer.
  • As a result, waxed chains also extend parts longevity significantly.
  • Once set up, it is easy, very low maintenance though lack of cleaning requirements, and overall time efficient
One really has to ignore controlled test results, anecdotal evidence, and logic, with a good helping of shortsighted selectivity regarding the initial setup and ongoing process.

It's bs to compare some quick external chain wipe and relube practice with a much cleaner system that would take frequent labour intensive solvent degreasing to match. It is myopic to pick on a one-off setup process that pales into insignificance given the long-term minimal maintenance requirement. It is ignorant to fail to see that the initial equipment expense provides an overwhelming return on investment compared to drip-on methods. Nobody here could suggest a chain treatment suggestion that is objectively cleaner, kinder on the drivetrain, or takes less overall time across the chain lifespan when held to the same standard of maintained drivetrain cleanliness over time.

If you are comfortable with less performance, that is fine, but that's rarely acknowledged. It is out of the question that not everyone wants these benefits enough to change their ways, but the point is rather that it is experientially such a valuable practice for those riders that care about these benefits that it just seems like a topic that should be more talked about (being mentioned in this forum once or twice a year and only in few circles offline still means it is reasonably fringe versus all the established lube bottles and degreasers in every store), better understood by riders and workshops (critical misunderstandings are all over this thread), instead of being an option that many riders can be oblivious of for a very long time, despite perhaps being interested.

The people who come in here claiming that others want to impart their ways and don't understand that it's just 'not for them' may consider that the point is not to convert them if they don't want to try it, and that spitting out some unrelated anecdotes of how their routine, entirely incomparable in terms of the measurable results, or disbelief regarding claims that have been backed up, is simply off topic.
Likes For yaw:
Old 08-26-22, 11:43 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by yaw
Immersive waxing.

So what's going on?

Let's talk preach about it.
Ftfy
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-27-22, 03:40 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I can clean a chain in about a minute using one of those chain cleaning gizmos filled with Simple Green. It's one of the quickest steps of a general bike washing.
Same, except that instead of filling it with Simple Green, I drip a few drops of Triflow into the tiny holes provided at the top of the chain cleaning gizmo. The Triflow cleans the chain quite nicely. And lubes it at the same time, of course. Less than 5 minutes, and I'm done.

The only time I remove a chain is when I replace it when it has worn out. My chains last a very long time.

If you're someone who likes to rotate your bike tires by discarding the rear when it wears out, moving the front to the rear, and installing a new front tire, then you're likely a candidate for chain waxing. I prefer to replace the worn rear tire, then replace both tires next time, then replace the rear tire, etc., thus eliminating unnecessary work.

I wonder how many motorcyclists wax their chains.
Old 08-27-22, 05:06 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
The best of drip lubes (invariably, wax based) offer only marginally worse results with a routine which is, essentially, once per week, wheel the bike to the living room, wipe drivetrain (and rest of bike, while at it - I like it clean), a drop of it on every link and that's it. Ready to ride in the morning. That's the allure of them.

The new Ceramicspeed UFO lube which I've been using for nearly a year now is supposed to be roughly on par with their own wax. Of course if you run something dire as a lubricant, then the losses are significant compared to wax and durability is much less. ​​​​​​

Once every couple of months, when I have nothing better to do, or I just want to fiddle with something to relax, or I have some big event upcoming, I'll do a proper clean of bike plus drivetrain, maybe check the pads and replace if worn, replace the cables if they've done a lot of miles, maybe add a bit of tubeless sealant and do other minor (or major if something is amiss) maintenance.
​​​

​​

Last edited by Branko D; 08-27-22 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-27-22, 06:02 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
You only use solvents to clean off the factory grease.

Just dump the chain into a crockpot with either silca or molten speed wax.

Very simple and FAR, FAR, FAR less work than the old ways.
Old 08-27-22, 06:31 AM
jad3675

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I wonder how many motorcyclists wax their chains.
Zero. I've been riding motorcycles for 30 years and have never heard of waxing a chain until I started riding push bikes.
Modern MC chains have o or x rings and are riveted.
Heck, I lube my MC chains with WD40 (yes, I know it's not a lube).
Old 08-27-22, 06:44 AM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
Ok honestly not trying to complicate this thread or Hi Jack it but have a question for those advocates of waxing.

let’s say I have a “friend” who wants to wax his chain and currently has a wax crockpot and blocks of Paraffin wax, any issues with using that? Better options?
Old 08-27-22, 06:47 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I put some of this on my forklift mast chains yesterday. We'll see how it goes.

https://www.wd40.com/products/spray-gel/
Old 08-27-22, 06:50 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by Bogey Speedwell
Ok honestly not trying to complicate this thread or Hi Jack it but have a question for those advocates of waxing.

let’s say I have a “friend” who wants to wax his chain and currently has a wax crockpot and blocks of Paraffin wax, any issues with using that? Better options?
Good to go. Mix in some PTFE and Bobs your uncle.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 08-27-22, 08:13 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,046 Times in 4,477 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
the conversation breaker is that "i've been greasing my chain with pig fat for 50 years and wiping it down with my sleeve cleans it perfectly and it takes me 10 seconds a month tops" is not a valid response to a method that claims to achieve the lowest friction/wear and sustained objective cleanliness in a long-term time efficient manner.

Facts remain
  • waxed chains are faster, and so clean that they are faster for longer.
  • as a result, waxed chains also extend parts longevity significantly.
  • once set up, it is easy, very low maintenance though lack of cleaning requirements, and overall time efficient
one really has to ignore controlled test results, anecdotal evidence, and logic, with a good helping of shortsighted selectivity regarding the initial setup and ongoing process.

It's bs to compare some quick external chain wipe and relube practice with a much cleaner system that would take frequent labour intensive solvent degreasing to match. It is myopic to pick on a one-off setup process that pales into insignificance given the long-term minimal maintenance requirement. It is ignorant to fail to see that the initial equipment expense provides an overwhelming return on investment compared to drip-on methods. Nobody here could suggest a chain treatment suggestion that is objectively cleaner, kinder on the drivetrain, or takes less overall time across the chain lifespan when held to the same standard of maintained drivetrain cleanliness over time.

If you are comfortable with less performance, that is fine, but that's rarely acknowledged. It is out of the question that not everyone wants these benefits enough to change their ways, but the point is rather that it is experientially such a valuable practice for those riders that care about these benefits that it just seems like a topic that should be more talked about (being mentioned in this forum once or twice a year and only in few circles offline still means it is reasonably fringe versus all the established lube bottles and degreasers in every store), better understood by riders and workshops (critical misunderstandings are all over this thread), instead of being an option that many riders can be oblivious of for a very long time, despite perhaps being interested.

The people who come in here claiming that others want to impart their ways and don't understand that it's just 'not for them' may consider that the point is not to convert them if they don't want to try it, and that spitting out some unrelated anecdotes of how their routine, entirely incomparable in terms of the measurable results, or disbelief regarding claims that have been backed up, is simply off topic.
omfg
Likes For big john:
Old 08-27-22, 08:38 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,476 Times in 1,836 Posts
Well .... anyone who doubts all this should do a web search for that Australian guy whop actually does the science---the guy actually tested dozens of different methods and has the results ... . you can also look at his much more useful (to me) video on how to best wax a chain, but if you doubt what @yaw posted, there is actual science---as in carefully controlled, repeated experiments---to back it up.

I am not saying waxing is better---it is for me, but that is just me---but I will say, some folks are unwilling to face facts. The conclusions we draw can differ, but we share a reality, and good science done in that shared reality yields valid, in not necessarily useful information.

Wax or not, I don't care .... but do real research before denying the results of said research. Don't be a Flat-Earther/anti-vaxxer/anti-recumbent conspiracy believer .....

or do, if you want.

I don't much care. I am going for a bike ride.
Old 08-27-22, 08:41 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,184 Times in 2,225 Posts
I waxed my chains once.
Old 08-27-22, 09:00 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Good to go. Mix in some PTFE and Bobs your uncle.
Or skip adding PTFE, do yourself, your lungs, your wallet and the planet a favor, and use pure paraffin.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-27-22, 10:00 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I'm going to disagree with that. I think the "cost" of waxing and keeping a "fastidiously clean" non-waxed chain is basically the same:

1) The recurring labor cost of swapping & cleaning is the same, if the chains are swapped at the same intervals. 300 km is a typical interval recommended by wax manufacturers but, if 500 km works for you, then we can use 500 km as our interval. So, every 500 km, you perform the same basic labor in the two cases.
a) goalposts moved [interval]
b) breaking a cold train is not the same amount of work as adding a drop of lube to each roller, spinning cranks and wiping afterwards.

2) A fastidiously clean non-waxed chain will probably require no more cassette or pulley cleaning than a waxed chain. In the worst case, it may require a yearly cleaning of the cassette. But, the labor cost of that yearly cleaning is small -- one can simply toss the cassette into the ultrasonic cleaner after cleaning a batch of chains.
"Probably no more"? Do it for a year and let me know, then - I *know* from experience and you're comparing to a hypothetical that I'm not sure I buy.

3) Equipment costs are very close. Waxers need a crockpot, but non-waxers do not. A non-waxer needs an ultrasonic cleaner, but a serious waxer would also probably have one for initial chain cleanings. (In either case, you could use always a soda bottle filled with solvent instead.) So, the ultrasonic cleaner is either a wash or a small ($50-$60) added expense for a non-waxer, and the crockpot is a small ($12) added expense for the waxer.
Come on. The ultrasonic cleaner is an additional expense. Recurring lube and solvent costs are also likely to be in favor of waxing.

Basically, you're doing a lot of hedging in the hopes of getting close enough to say that it's a wash.

Again - I don't care what you or anyone else does, but it should be very clear that waxing, as a whole, isn't an outlandish faff and it can even be a huge convenience for some.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-27-22, 10:49 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by WhyFi
goalposts moved [interval]
If you want to compare two methods, you need to use the same criteria. I originally chose 300 km because that is a typical recommended waxing interval. You said you use 500 km. We can either use 300 km or 500 km - it doesn't matter to me.
breaking a cold train is not the same amount of work as adding a drop of lube to each roller, spinning cranks and wiping afterwards.
Both of those steps take very little time -- less than a minute for either -- once every 300/500 km. By any reasonable definition, that's a wash.
"Probably no more"? Do it for a year and let me know, then - I *know* from experience and you're comparing to a hypothetical that I'm not sure I buy.
Unless you've swapped non-waxed chains every 300/500 km and cleaned them ultrasonically for a year, you're not speaking from experience either. Your experience is with traditional (wet) lubed chains that are rarely removed for cleaning.

Also, why would a "fastidiously clean" drivetrain require more cassette cleaning? It's fastidiously clean!
Come on. The ultrasonic cleaner is an additional expense. Recurring lube and solvent costs are also likely to be in favor of waxing.
Every waxer I know uses an ultrasonic cleaner for initial cleaning of chains. But, neither a waxer nor non-waxer has to have one -- they can both use a soda bottle filled with solvent and agitate it by hand.
Basically, you're doing a lot of hedging in the hopes of getting close enough to say that it's a wash.
There's no hedging. The steps are basically the same, and the cost is very similar.
Again - I don't care what you or anyone else does, but it should be very clear that waxing, as a whole, isn't an outlandish faff and it can even be a huge convenience for some.
I didn't say waxing was outlandish, and I didn't say it wasn't convenient for some people. The discussion was whether there was a cost savings versus swapping out non-waxed chains at the same interval.

Last edited by tomato coupe; 08-27-22 at 11:04 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-27-22, 10:56 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Everyone waxer [sic] I know uses an ultrasonic cleaner for initial cleaning of chains. But, neither a waxer nor non-waxer has to have one -- they can both use a soda bottle filled with solvent and agitate it by hand.
I don't use one, nor do I own one. (I have access to one at work, but have never felt the need).

No soda bottle filled with solvent either.

The only thing I use for an initial chain cleaning is a dry paper towel.
Old 08-27-22, 11:01 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
Facts remain
  • Waxed chains are faster, and so clean that they are faster for longer.
  • As a result, waxed chains also extend parts longevity significantly.
I already mentioned it three times above but will try one more time: wax chains are not any better if you are riding in dry conditions. ZFC has data on that which I posted above. Here it is again:

So, you need to add a caveat to that blanket assertion.

If you read the details of the ZFC evaluations what he states is the top drip lubes should in fact do really well in wet conditions provided you re-apply after any wet ride. I figured this out the hard way, I got stuck in the rain once and didn't re-lube and the chain was very loud the next ride. So now I re-lube if I get stuck in the rain .. which happens about twice a year. So, even if you have an occasional wet ride you can still be comparable to hot wax with a quality drip lube.
Old 08-27-22, 11:05 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by scottfsmith
I already mentioned it three times above but will try one more time: wax chains are not any better if you are riding in dry conditions. ...
Dry clean conditions, or dry dusty/sandy/gritty conditions? The latter is the main problem I am addressing.
Old 08-27-22, 11:07 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Dry clean conditions, or dry dusty/sandy/gritty conditions? The latter is the main problem I am addressing.
The header there is "dry contamination".. he is adding in abrasive dry contaminants at seven points during the test. See the full write-ups for details.
Old 08-27-22, 11:51 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
If you want to compare two methods, you need to use the same criteria. I originally chose 300 km because that is a typical recommended waxing interval. You said you use 500 km. We can either use 300 km or 500 km - it doesn't matter to me.
You said "if it's 300km, no additional steps were necessary," the implication being that longer interval would require more intervention (fair assessment),

Both of those steps take very little time -- less than a minute for either -- once every 300/500 km. By any reasonable definition, that's a wash.
I guess that I'm not being reasonable when I say that 20sec != 3 min. If you think it's the same, okay, but it's different to me.

Unless you've swapped non-waxed chains every 300/500 km and cleaned them ultrasonically for a year, you're not speaking from experience either. Your experience is with traditional (wet) lubed chains that are rarely removed for cleaning.

Also, why would a "fastidiously clean" drivetrain require more cassette cleaning? It's fastidiously clean!
Because wet lube. Oil doesn't just stay put nicely in the rollers - it always migrates out and grabs road grime. That crude does accumulate. You can forestall it by really frequent chain cleaning intervals, but it's going to be more work, one way or another.

Every waxer I know uses an ultrasonic cleaner for initial cleaning of chains.
I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner. I don't know any waxers that do. There's no drivetrain cleaning necessary other than the initial chain cleaning, which is once every 12-18 months, so I haven't felt the need. The only time I considered an ultrasonic cleaner was when I was still using wet lubes, because of my increased cleaning requirements (chain, cassette, jockeys). I wouldn't be surprised if the people that you know have them from their wet lube days.

But, neither a waxer nor non-waxer has to have one -- they can both use a soda bottle filled with solvent and agitate it by hand.
In which case the time/effort saved tilts significantly towards waxing.

There's no hedging. The steps are basically the same, and the cost is very similar.
Basically, but more + basically, but more + basically, but more != the same

I didn't say waxing was outlandish, and I didn't say it wasn't convenient for some people.
Okay. That's seems to be the general sentiment being tossed about, though.

The discussion was whether there was a cost savings versus swapping out non-waxed chains at the same interval.
I could possibly see frequent chain cleanings balancing out with the less frequent chain cleanings (and more frequent cassette/jockey/chainring cleanings), but I'm still not seeing the math add up favorably vs wax, not for me and in my reality, at least.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.