Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Value of mid/late 80's Shogun Katana?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-24, 04:15 PM
univega.duder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Value of mid/late 80's Shogun Katana?

I picked up this Shogun Katana at a yard sale this summer and am curious to get opinions on its value. I'm not sure of the year but it seems to be mid/late 80s. The brakes and shifters are working but I'll likely replace the cables. The bar tape is showing its age as are the brake hoods. I have swapped out the original cracked tan sidewall tires for new Continental Ultra Sports and replaced the pedals with a pair of used Sakae SR CTP-400 pedals which can be seen in the photos against the garage door. There's some scratches and small spots of rust showing through here and there but overall the bike is in good condition. It has Shimano Exage Sport components, Tange Infinity Cr-Mo Tapered Double Butted tubing and is a fun zipper ride. Would love to get any of your opinions. Thanks!

I swapped out the tires but wish I had chosen a tire with tan sidewall to better match the look of the bike.

Last edited by univega.duder; 01-25-24 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-25-24, 10:23 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Don't know. Anywhere from $50 - $250 (or more) depending on location.

Add $20-50 with all reflectors removed and tire labels centered over the valve stem.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-25-24, 10:46 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,555 Times in 1,410 Posts
In my market (heavily depressed), I think I'd see a bike like that for around $100.

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 01-26-24, 06:45 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
I’m in the $100 camp as well. Not really high quality enough to appeal to a hoarding C&V enthusiast. Certainly a nice bike for someone wanting a basic, functional rider. Maybe $150 from that buyer if it were sparkling clean.
Likes For plonz:
Old 01-26-24, 09:04 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Exage Sport is not one of the more desirable groups, plus rust, plus needs a complete refresh. In my area, $50. If I spent 4 to 6 hours of time and $50 to $75 in consumables, I might get $100 for it (lose money).I occasionally find bikes like this one at garage sales. As long as they are cheap enough, I'll buy and donate to the co-op. There they have free donated consumables and volunteer mechanics so the economics can work out for them.

I am more interested in road bikes from that era if they have Shimano 600 or above. There I can usually get desirable parts.

In the "good old days", I would find a bike like this for $25, spend $25 on consumables, put 4 hours into it, and sell for $225. A good retirement side gig. Or just for fun.

Hopefully your market is better!!
Likes For wrk101:
Old 01-26-24, 10:27 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
I would be in the $10-150 nicely cleaned up and presented. Nice frame set with top end tubing but by a lesser known maker with just OK components and the market is soft right know. As said with most 80's DT shifter bikes one will be upside down after a proper servicing and consumables so I would say clean it up real nice take off the reflectors and sell as is.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 01-27-24, 09:32 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
Also be sure to point out in pics and words that it has good new tires and the wheels are true both a really big selling points with nice tires going for about. to $100 mounted and trued
Old 01-27-24, 02:16 PM
univega.duder

Hi All- thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to remove the reflectors, clean it up a bit and sell as-is. Hopefully someone will find it and enjoy it.
Old 01-28-24, 12:25 PM
ign1te

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
I would be in the $10-150 nicely cleaned up and presented. Nice frame set with top end tubing but by a lesser known maker with just OK components and the market is soft right know. As said with most 80's DT shifter bikes one will be upside down after a proper servicing and consumables so I would say clean it up real nice take off the reflectors and sell as is.
Infinity is not top end tubing. It is entry level crmo .

Last edited by ign1te; 01-28-24 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-28-24, 02:20 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by univega.duder
Hi All- thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to remove the reflectors, clean it up a bit and sell as-is. Hopefully someone will find it and enjoy it.
Wait until spring, then add 50%!🤪
Cheers,
Van
Likes For Senior Ryder 00:
Old 01-28-24, 03:41 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,928 Times in 1,493 Posts
Originally Posted by univega.duder
Why remove the reflectors? This is a recreational level bike so the reflectors aren't going to hamper performance. I'd leave them as a buyer is likely someone who will just be cruising the neighborehood. You might also run into an issue with the brake center bolt length and you might hjave to look around a funky washer for the rear brake to replce the bracket.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-28-24, 05:55 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
In my market (heavily depressed), I think I'd see a bike like that for around $100.
It is depressed pretty much everywhere, and unfortunately, I don't really see the market for C&V bikes coming back as well as it was, within most of our lifetimes......especially as most of the new cycling generations don't seem to he interested at all about bikes from the past.
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 01-29-24, 07:02 AM
BMC_Kid 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
It is depressed pretty much everywhere, and unfortunately, I don't really see the market for C&V bikes coming back as well as it was, within most of our lifetimes......especially as most of the new cycling generations don't seem to he interested at all about bikes from the past.
Also, I don't see those folks of the more recent generations having the disposable income to be spending on old bikes. There will always be the outlier who has excess funds to buy whatever they want at whatever cost the market sets. That might also mean that mean his dollar will go farther and he'll end up with more bikes for his money. Current collectors are out of luck if they paid top dollar for their bikes when they go to sell with the rare exception. Then there will be those who have bought wisely over the years, only those bikes they enjoy riding and have gotten the enjoyment out of them, not necessarily a profit, and will break even at the end of the day. I have not done the math yet on my collection of bikes and parts but I think I will be in this group. And I am ok with that.
Old 01-29-24, 01:35 PM
univega.duder

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Why remove the reflectors? This is a recreational level bike so the reflectors aren't going to hamper performance. I'd leave them as a buyer is likely someone who will just be cruising the neighborehood. You might also run into an issue with the brake center bolt length and you might hjave to look around a funky washer for the rear brake to replce the bracket.
Thanks for the suggestion Bianchigirll. I was thinking about removing the reflectors to make the bike look a little more pleasing in the photos but I think you're right that it would like be used for cruising and I'd rather not do anything that might reduce a future riders safety on the road.
Old 01-29-24, 02:52 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,292 Times in 1,281 Posts
I am constantly amazed at the deals I have seen on bikes just like this.I am thinking start at $150 with hope and be willing to take $100 . It is a shame because that is a pretty nice bike. Anything could happen in the next few years as far as value but only for the higher end bikes.