Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Feeling dumb-blackburn pump

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-23, 11:36 AM
BobsPoprad

Bikes: Lemond Poprad, Cervelo Soloist, Cannondale F4, RANS Velocity Squared

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 45 Posts

Ok, can't figure out what I am doing wrong

I have a new Blackburn Mammoth 2 stage Anyvalve pump.
Stopped to help some people with a flat the other day and couldn't get it to work on the Schrader valve. So I figured I would try it on my presta when I got home to make sure it worked. Could do that either!?!?🤬

Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for any insights.
Old 08-29-23, 12:12 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 3,913 Times in 1,913 Posts
assuming it is this twisting motion I have never seen before:

does it have anything to do with the high pressure vs. high volume switch? never had that option on a pump
Old 08-29-23, 12:20 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6295 Post(s)
Liked 4,890 Times in 3,368 Posts
This is something best done in person. If you have friends that are cyclists, ask them to see if they can figure out what you are doing wrong. Or go to a bike shop and engage one of them in a conversation about it and then say "hey, I got it with me in the car. Can I bring it in and let you show me?".
Old 08-29-23, 06:25 PM
BobsPoprad

Socaled,
yeah, I saw the diagram. Mine has a locking arm, no twisting.
I'm going to try it again, and then bring it to the shop where I bought the pump.
Just weird I can't figure it out.
Old 08-29-23, 10:09 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 351 Posts
I gave a present of a nice frame pump to a friend. After a while I asked him how it's working. He said it's defective and does not work. I did not open the package before gifting, I was quite disappointed. The next chance at his house, I asked to take a look at the pump and sure enough it was missing the rubber gasket to seal around the valve, only a hard plastic washer. After looking and cussing for a while, I pulled out the plastic washer and beneath was the rubber. I guess to not lose the seal, they put it underneath.
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 08-30-23, 05:22 AM
BobsPoprad

Originally Posted by MarcusT
I gave a present of a nice frame pump to a friend. After a while I asked him how it's working. He said it's defective and does not work. I did not open the package before gifting, I was quite disappointed. The next chance at his house, I asked to take a look at the pump and sure enough it was missing the rubber gasket to seal around the valve, only a hard plastic washer. After looking and cussing for a while, I pulled out the plastic washer and beneath was the rubber. I guess to not lose the seal, they put it underneath.
I'll check that out. Thanks!
Old 08-30-23, 08:03 AM
Piervinc

Bikes: 2002 Cannondale R2000, 1984 Basso Gap, Surly Crosscheck and LHT, an unidentified road bike that was the subject of some C&V forum speculation, and some mountain bike or other

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Maybe

Take a look at the bottom graphic. To work with schrader valves, for most Blackburn pumps, you take off the cap that holds the pump head together, then reverse the guts. Take the rubber gasket and the plastic doodad under it out, separate them, then insert the plastic doodad back in, with the shrader pin sticking up; reverse the rubber gasket so the presta side is down, facing the doodad; then screw the cap back on. Then the gasket is wide enough to fit over the valve, and the pin depresses the valve when you plunk it on the valve stem. The lever compresses the gasket to make a tight seal.
Old 08-30-23, 08:14 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6295 Post(s)
Liked 4,890 Times in 3,368 Posts
With presta valves, they sometimes stick. So it's a good habit to press them after you unscrew them. I've got one on my bike now that if I don't burp it, I have to get over 150 lbs on the pump gauge before it opens up and lets air into the tube. Even burping it it takes about 120 lbs to get it to open up. With a floor pump, it's not a big issue to get all my weight on the pump. But with other pumps, getting that much pressure can be an issue.

Normally a presta valve should open about or just after you exceed what ever the tubes internal air pressure is. And many presta valves work fine with out burping. But it's happened to me often enough that I've made it a habbit.

Since you had issues with the pump either way whether presta or schrader, it's likely something is wrong with the pump. Or you misread/misunderstood the instructions and will eventually have a "duh" moment.

Last edited by Iride01; 08-30-23 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-30-23, 11:44 AM
BobsPoprad

Thanks all.

If there is one, I'm hoping the "duh" moment comes before I am standing in the LBS.😁