Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

MGX DXR Mountain Bike 26”

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-23, 08:38 PM
mgurun1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,
I bought used MGX DXR 21 speed mountain bike for $85. The condition seemed decent. Can I use it for regular cycling (daily commute)? Do I need to take care for anything? I need this cycle for the next 2-3 months. Let me know your thoughts.

Thank you!
Old 08-29-23, 11:51 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 72 Posts
Compared to a higher quality bike, it will be somewhat slow and inefficient, parts will go out of adjustment easier, and it probably won't be very comfortable, but it's still a bike. Most important things to take care of are to make sure the tires are properly aired up, the chain is lubricated, the saddle is at the correct height, and the brakes are properly adjusted. Bike shops are often willing to take a look at a bike for free to see if there are any major issues with it, and it would be worth paying to at least get your brakes adjusted if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. If your commute is really short, it might do it's job well enough for 2-3 months, if your commute is long, you might be wishing for a better bike before that time is up.
Old 08-30-23, 12:28 AM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 635 Times in 308 Posts
For a few years in the 90's I rode an MGX D50i. It was my first full suspension bike.I commuted to work on it and rode on mildly rough SoCal off road trails.
Over the time, to try and lighten it up, I swapped out the steel rims for aluminum w/quick release. I bent the seat post on one of my first off road rides and replaced it with more aluminum parts.
I actually had a good time riding it.
It disappeared sometime during my first divorce....... I'm not sure what became of it.
Old 08-30-23, 07:04 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7711 Post(s)
Liked 3,642 Times in 1,915 Posts
So long as it is in decent shape it should be fine for a few months .... supposing it fits you, and all the parts work ..... I had to commute on a Univega D900, F/S bike, pretty low-end, a little better than than the MGX, but basically, a low-cost MTB. As @Arrowana says, keep on top of the maintenance ... greased bearings, air in the tires, lubed chain, ..... keep the brakes and shifters adjusted. Should be a solid ride, certainly until winter sets in.
Old 08-30-23, 07:14 PM
mgurun1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
So long as it is in decent shape it should be fine for a few months .... supposing it fits you, and all the parts work ..... I had to commute on a Univega D900, F/S bike, pretty low-end, a little better than than the MGX, but basically, a low-cost MTB. As @Arrowana says, keep on top of the maintenance ... greased bearings, air in the tires, lubed chain, ..... keep the brakes and shifters adjusted. Should be a solid ride, certainly until winter sets in.
Thank you for the reply!
Old 08-30-23, 07:16 PM
mgurun1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the reply! I bought it from a used bike shop "front yard bikes". Hope it works for a couple of months!
Old 08-30-23, 07:16 PM
mgurun1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert Ryder
For a few years in the 90's I rode an MGX D50i. It was my first full suspension bike.I commuted to work on it and rode on mildly rough SoCal off road trails.
Over the time, to try and lighten it up, I swapped out the steel rims for aluminum w/quick release. I bent the seat post on one of my first off road rides and replaced it with more aluminum parts.
I actually had a good time riding it.
It disappeared sometime during my first divorce....... I'm not sure what became of it.
Thank you for your thoughts!!