Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Electronic vs Mechanical shifting

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Electronic vs Mechanical shifting

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-23, 01:13 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 652 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
u

Have to wonder though. Maybe Campy will still be making high end mechanical. Shimano has already decided top 3 groups to be electronic, unless they decide 105 should be mechanical as well. SRAM will likely follow Shimano's lead and go electronic only, for top tier groups. So what mechanical groups are you talking about will still be available ?
Well seen on campy's website today , campy super record, campy record, campy chorus, campy centaur are all available in mechanical non disc brake versions.Shimano today's version of Dura Ace, Ultegra and 105 are all electronicDI2 and with disc brakes. 105 DI2 is here , so unless you go with a 10 or 11 speed older shimano group you can still go mechanical.
Old 02-06-23, 01:18 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3479 Post(s)
Liked 3,620 Times in 1,815 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Ironic you tell anti-technology story based on a massive hoax “Y2K”!
The Y2K bug was not a hoax. Tons of labor hours went into fixing that bug, which is why things did not go bad on 2000-01-01.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-06-23, 03:50 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4465 Post(s)
Liked 4,932 Times in 3,051 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
nah, i've learned a ton here on BF. you just have to sift though the chaff, that's all.
And there's a LOT of irrelevant chaff in this thread.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-06-23, 04:42 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by georges1
Technology evolves and to produce a custom made frame would cost more than riding your carbon frame. The last wins with Ulrich and Riis were done on Pinarello Prince bikes made of Dedacciai 7003 Ultralite Aluminium frames and Pantani with a Bianchi made of Dedacciai 7003 Ultralite frame as well.It has been16 years only that Carbon frame have been winning TDF, tour de France winners since 1903.
A couple of realities:-

1. A custom steel/ti/alu frame of whatever cost is not going to be competitive against a modern carbon frame. It's going to be heavier, weaker, less aero and less comfortable. It would be a totally pointless exercise for racing, especially at the pro level where the riders really don't give a monkeys about retro gear. For those who insist on spending a fortune on slower retro-styled bikes using outdated tech and materials, there are plenty of boutique builders out there.

2. So it's "only" 16 years since carbon frames have totally dominated the TDF. This year it will be 17 and so on. If any other frame material was competitive we would see it in action. It's a bit like F1 motorsport. Carbon chassis have totally dominated since the early 90s. Even lower level F3 cars were all using carbon chassis by the early 90s. Nothing else has been considered ever since and that's how it is with competitive bikes today. The bike industry was actually quite slow in adopting carbon and then slow to use it efficiently. It's actually a very conservative, relatively slow-moving industry. Tennis racquets went carbon in the early 80s. I still have fond memories of my Dunlop Max 200g and how much of a game-changer that was compared to wood or alu framed racquets of the time.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-06-23, 05:08 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1757 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 747 Posts
I've ridden both. Either is fine IMO. I happen to prefer mechanical. For the same reasons that I still drive manual cars. I like being involved.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 02-06-23, 05:13 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by bruce19
I've ridden both. Either is fine IMO. I happen to prefer mechanical. For the same reasons that I still drive manual cars. I like being involved.
Fair enough. I have to say I quite like the "mechanical" click of SRAM 1x mtb triggers, but mechanical floppy brifters not so much, especially for front shifting.
Old 02-06-23, 05:53 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3548 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,797 Posts

But really, are we are now talking about steam locomotive advantages over diesel/electric just when I thought it couldn’t get more ridiculous.
It’s called an “analogy.” Can’t help it if you don’t understand.

And we’re not talking about “advantages.” Unless we’re talking about the one where “modern” bikes will be in the bin in 20 years but mine will still be on the road.
Old 02-06-23, 06:31 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Lemond rode a carbon frame in 1986, I saw it with my own eyes. I also had a carbon frame in 1986, it was 17 pounds more than 5 pounds lighter than the obsolete 22 pound steel bike it replaced. If I am not mistaken, Lemond won the Tour in 1986.

I really wanted to buy the Lemond 8 that he is building in the USA but it still is not ready for launch. Oh, it is carbon and has electronic shifting but he is giving the choice of an integrated cockpit or separate carbon stem and separate carbon bars. I love flat aero carbon bars, they reduce vibration while spreading it over a larger surface area of your hands. No chatter.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 02-06-23, 06:34 AM
GhostRider62

My 1992 Kestrel carbon with 7400 brifters is in the same place as my 1972 Masi GC with DT Campy Record. Hanging in the garage. Unused and unloved. Both absolutely suck compared to modern bikes.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 02-06-23, 06:48 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4756 Post(s)
Liked 1,537 Times in 1,006 Posts
Hard to 'see' the tech improvement over the last 20 years

Old 02-06-23, 07:00 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Hard to 'see' the tech improvement over the last 20 years

Was 2007 a particularly low-tech year?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-06-23, 07:06 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Lemond rode a carbon frame in 1986, I saw it with my own eyes. I also had a carbon frame in 1986, it was 17 pounds more than 5 pounds lighter than the obsolete 22 pound steel bike it replaced. If I am not mistaken, Lemond won the Tour in 1986.

I really wanted to buy the Lemond 8 that he is building in the USA but it still is not ready for launch. Oh, it is carbon and has electronic shifting but he is giving the choice of an integrated cockpit or separate carbon stem and separate carbon bars. I love flat aero carbon bars, they reduce vibration while spreading it over a larger surface area of your hands. No chatter.
Lemond was always a tech-minded guy. One of the first to really see the benefit of marginal gains. The Lemond 8 looks awesome. I wouldn't personally pay that sort of money for a bike, although it's not out of line with high-end mainstream brand bikes.
Old 02-06-23, 07:10 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts

But really, are we are now talking about steam locomotive advantages over diesel/electric just when I thought it couldn’t get more ridiculous.
I'm pretty sure that was a joke, bit maybe not.
Old 02-06-23, 07:12 AM
smd4

Hoax? You're probably too young to know.
Old 02-06-23, 07:16 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Steve B.
u

Have to wonder though. Maybe Campy will still be making high end mechanical. Shimano has already decided top 3 groups to be electronic, unless they decide 105 should be mechanical as well. SRAM will likely follow Shimano's lead and go electronic only, for top tier groups. So what mechanical groups are you talking about will still be available ?
Ford doesn't make any more Model T parts. Locomotive manufacturer Baldwin doesn't exist. And yet it's possible to keep Model Ts and Steam Locomotives operational. In other words, other companies will step up to fill any void.
Old 02-06-23, 07:17 AM
hevysrf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
A couple of realities:-

1. A custom steel/ti/alu frame of whatever cost is not going to be competitive against a modern carbon frame. It's going to be heavier, weaker, less aero and less comfortable. It would be a totally pointless exercise for racing, especially at the pro level where the riders really don't give a monkeys about retro gear. For those who insist on spending a fortune on slower retro-styled bikes using outdated tech and materials, there are plenty of boutique builders out there.

2. So it's "only" 16 years since carbon frames have totally dominated the TDF. This year it will be 17 and so on. If any other frame material was competitive we would see it in action. It's a bit like F1 motorsport. Carbon chassis have totally dominated since the early 90s. Even lower level F3 cars were all using carbon chassis by the early 90s. Nothing else has been considered ever since and that's how it is with competitive bikes today. The bike industry was actually quite slow in adopting carbon and then slow to use it efficiently. It's actually a very conservative, relatively slow-moving industry. Tennis racquets went carbon in the early 80s. I still have fond memories of my Dunlop Max 200g and how much of a game-changer that was compared to wood or alu framed racquets of the time.

I would say that comfort is subjective and the weight difference would not be more than a water bottle or two. The strength difference that is important in a 1000 hp 250mph race car is just not significant at 500 watts and 40 mph. And even if carbon fiber is the grail of bike racing it may not be the best idea for mass produced consumer bikes.
I don't have the stats for TDF winners, are they always the lightest competitors? My wife has remarked on several occasion that they invariably have very big noses.
Old 02-06-23, 07:18 AM
PeteHski

My 1992 Kestrel carbon with 7400 brifters is in the same place as my 1972 Masi GC with DT Campy Record. Hanging in the garage. Unused and unloved. Both absolutely suck compared to modern bikes.
Only a few years ago (2019) I rode my friend's Circa 2002 Project One Trek Madone out in the hills of Nice. It honestly rode like crap compared to my off-the-shelf 2019 Tawainese Giant Defy. It was a bit of an eye-opener to be honest as I don't recall those older bikes riding so badly back in the day. It was harsh, twitchy and noodly all at the same time. Gear shifting and braking were archaic. Handling was terrible. The complete opposite of my humble Defy, which is absolutely rock solid on high-speed descents and way more comfortable.
Old 02-06-23, 07:22 AM
GhostRider62

Lemond was always a tech-minded guy. One of the first to really see the benefit of marginal gains. The Lemond 8 looks awesome. I wouldn't personally pay that sort of money for a bike, although it's not out of line with high-end mainstream brand bikes.
That is what I ultimately paid for my new bike. I probably would have bought a Trek Emonda SLR in 62 or possibly a 60cm but was quoted at least a year to get one, sight unseen and no test ride. Any easy $14,000 pass. The Lemond 8 at $12,500 considering the entire offer such as access to 4 days at the Tour and doing a group ride with him.....is a bargain. My only quibble on my new bike is the SRAM 48/35 and 10-28. Shimano 53/39 and 11-30 makes more sense to me.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 02-06-23, 07:23 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Lombard
bit maybe not.
"Bit?" I see what you did there.
Old 02-06-23, 07:27 AM
GhostRider62

Only a few years ago (2019) I rode my friend's Circa 2002 Project One Trek Madone out in the hills of Nice. It honestly rode like crap compared to my off-the-shelf 2019 Tawainese Giant Defy. It was a bit of an eye-opener to be honest as I don't recall those older bikes riding so badly back in the day. It was harsh, twitchy and noodly all at the same time. Gear shifting and braking were archaic. Handling was terrible. The complete opposite of my humble Defy, which is absolutely rock solid on high-speed descents and way more comfortable.
What kind of gets me are posters who voice strong opinions against technology that they have not owned or have not spend some thousands of miles on.

I was going to post several different quotes from Lael Wilcox (she is an ultra endurance champ racer winning lots of races and setting records) where she basically says mechanical eventually gives her hand fatigue and pain, which is why she likes electronic. The lateral force needed to shift the old SRAM mechanical shifters might not seem like much initially but do over and over on long hilly rides and your medial and ulnar nerves will start to moan.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 02-06-23, 07:31 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2506 Post(s)
Liked 2,987 Times in 1,694 Posts
Was 2007 a particularly low-tech year?
Liked!

But for those who may not know: the organizers of the Tour change the route every year, so comparisons such as that represented in the average speed/year graph are close to meaningless for that reason alone.

Some of the many additional variables that render comparisons difficult: total Tour distance per year, proportions of kilometers ridden on flat terrain versus mountains versus time trials, sophistication of doping versus that of doping controls, improvements in training methods, arrival of power meters, extreme versus mild weather conditions.

And that's just the Tour. The Giro d'Italia has since come to resemble the Tour de France, with riders working hard from the gun, but in years past, the (predominantly Italian) cyclists racing the Giro often spent all but the last 60 to 90 km or so ambling along at a pace that would not have troubled the average fit U.S. cyclist.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-06-23, 07:36 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by hevysrf
I would say that comfort is subjective and the weight difference would not be more than a water bottle or two. The strength difference that is important in a 1000 hp 250mph race car is just not significant at 500 watts and 40 mph. And even if carbon fiber is the grail of bike racing it may not be the best idea for mass produced consumer bikes.
I don't have the stats for TDF winners, are they always the lightest competitors? My wife has remarked on several occasion that they invariably have very big noses.
Although I can get all teary eyed over my leather Super Tacks and wooden Koho (hockey skates and stick), all modern skates and sticks are carbon fiber.

A carbon frame is cheap to make, they just price it into the stratosphere.

If you mean Walmart level consumer bikes, I agree. Tig Alu is probably the best bet for cheap kids bikes. But a good lugged or tig welded quality steel frames were never cheap and never were.

No they are not always the lightest competitors who win the TdF. The winners generally have towards the best W/Kg when climbing and the highest W/m^2 on time trials AND the best team. Bike weight is no longer relevant.
Old 02-06-23, 07:40 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Those older Trek OCLV bikes have a tendency to be "noodly". My 2007 Pilot is like that. Not a nice feeling and why I moved on to a 2014 Synapse Carbon.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 02-06-23, 07:48 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
What kind of gets me are posters who voice strong opinions against technology that they have not owned or have not spend some thousands of miles on.

I was going to post several different quotes from Lael Wilcox (she is an ultra endurance champ racer winning lots of races and setting records) where she basically says mechanical eventually gives her hand fatigue and pain, which is why she likes electronic. The lateral force needed to shift the old SRAM mechanical shifters might not seem like much initially but do over and over on long hilly rides and your medial and ulnar nerves will start to moan.
That's actually a really good point. I can't really see that with Shimano. Then again I don't do ultra distance. But Sram double tap can really get pretty stiff especially with stronger rear mechs.
Old 02-06-23, 07:49 AM
smd4

Utter nonsense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.