Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Disc brakes are great!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Disc brakes are great!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-24, 03:24 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...is that an argument for discs on bikes as the universal standard going forward ? Because that seems to be where we are at.
Originally Posted by Koyote
- to try to understand why a handful of posters keep insisting that disc brakes are "unnecessary" just because they don't need/want/like them.

(For the record, I've never tried to convince anyone to "get on board" with discs. Not even a little bit.)
...why would you need to ? There's an entire bicycle manufacturing and sales industry that has already made this decision. OTOH, the jury is still out on why we needed another thread on an "argument" that was long ago decided by the people who make and sell bikes.

If you really believe what you just wrote, "just because they don't need/want/like them," you're not looking for "understanding". You really are the "change my mind" meme guy.

​​​​​​​"Change My Mind" is a regular segment conducted by Crowder in which he sits at a table with a sign including the phrase "Change My Mind" and invites people walking by, often students at a university campus, to change his mind on a controversial subject. A photograph of Crowder seated behind a sign in February 2018 reading "Male Privilege is a Myth | Change My Mind" outside the Texas Christian University campus became an Internet meme.[27][28][29] Variations of the meme often feature humorously controversial statements in place of "Male Privilege is a Myth", such as "Pineapple goes on pizza | Change My Mind"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Crowder
Old 02-14-24, 03:58 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
"I came here for an argument!"

"Oh! Oh, I'm sorry! This is abuse."
Or..... is it contradiction??
Old 02-14-24, 04:00 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Again, I am missing nothing. I'm just not addressing them. Just like I don't address 20" bikes and coaster brakes, mountain bikes with V-brakes, or penny farthings with no brakes. Why do you keep missing this?
Why would someone not interested in disc brakes read and post on a disc brake thread?
Old 02-14-24, 04:02 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Why would someone not interested in disc brakes read and post on a disc brake thread?
For the same reason you post on an American football thread?
Old 02-14-24, 04:03 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
Sheer cussedness?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-14-24, 04:07 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I'm always amused by people who respond to "disc brakes are better" with "I've never had any problems with rim brakes", as if that makes them the pinnacle of bicycle braking technology. A couple years ago, I got a couple old (early 80s) bikes, with old single-pivot brakes. I found they were A LOT less capable than modern dual pivots, and I posted a thread on C&V about it. Of course I got a lot of useful suggestions, like getting some modern pads. But then there were the folks who said they had "never had a problem" with those old brakes.
I guess you don't understand the actual point being made: "rim brakes work fine". It does not mean that the opinion is that they are the pinnacle of braking technology. IT simply means they work fine and therefore whatever advantage discs have is not needed by that person.

I imagine lots of people who've never experienced something better than what they have, have "never had a problem" with whatever it is. In cars, most people "never had a problem" with drum brakes all around because most people weren't pushing them to their limits. In fact they might not even notice the improvement disc brakes in cars made because the car stopped regardless.

Anyhow, my point is that, in my experience with bikes with a variety of brake types, discs > dual pivots > late '80s single pivots > early '80s single pivots. That said, I ride bikes with each of those braking systems and have a great time doing so, and isn't that the point? If it isn't, why the hell would we even ride?
And I think that the vast, vast, vast majority of riders from casual neighborhood riders to high mileage enthusiasts are perfectly well served by rim brakes. Note that this is an opinion, not intended to be stated as a fact contrary to some in this thread. Just so this comment isn't also misunderstood: I am not saying that disc brakes are not better for some cyclists and some circumstances, I just think that it's not many in the overall scheme of things.
I have 6 bikes, two with discs four with rim (road and mountain). They all work as well as I ever need them to work. I have no performance or functional need for the advantages of discs, but they're pretty much all that is available nowadays. They are fine, no complaints.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 02-14-24, 04:08 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Today I was going to bring a bicycle wheel to class to demonstrate angular momentum, but the University liability attorneys said I can't demonstrate angular momentum with a wheel that has a disc rotor affixed to the hub, because it could create a mass casualty event.

This is why the USA is slipping further in its world education ranking.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 02-14-24, 04:10 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Camilo
I guess you don't understand the actual point being made: "rim brakes work fine". It does not mean that the opinion is that they are the pinnacle of braking technology. IT simply means they work fine and therefore whatever advantage discs have is not needed by that person.
Need? What is this "Need" ****? We're talking about bikes, for cripes sake!

And the vast, vast, vast majority of riders from casual neighborhood riders to high mileage enthusiasts are perfectly well served by rim brakes. Just so this comment isn't also misunderstood: I am not saying that disc brakes are not better for some cyclists and some circumstances, I just think that it's not many in the overall scheme of things.
I have 6 bikes, two with discs four with rim (road and mountain). They all work as well as I ever need them to work. I have no performance or functional need for the advantages of discs, but they're pretty much all that is available nowadays. They are fine, no complaints.
See above.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-14-24, 04:12 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Today I was going to bring a bicycle wheel to class to demonstrate angular momentum, but the University liability attorneys said I can't demonstrate angular momentum with a wheel that has a disc rotor affixed to the hub, because it could create a mass casualty event.

This is why the USA is slipping further in its world education ranking.
Why not discuss gravity? Then you could have a Mass Causality event.

You know, because gravity is a mass-related phenomenon?

I'll see myself out.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-14-24, 05:08 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Its better modulation when compared to other setups they have used.
Seems pretty easy to define. You wont like how it is defined or used though because it is feel driven and not data driven. Subjectivity seems to be your kryptonite.
I get what cyccommute means. Or, at least, I'm guessing he has a pragmatic attitude toward such things, same as I do. For me, most things are either good enough or not.

Like electric guitar pickups: people on forums endlessly debate the merits of one boutique pickup versus another versus the original patent pending Gibson pickup they're both based on - for me, pickups either work or they don't.
Old 02-14-24, 05:40 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...because that was the original invitation, as stated in the OP ? I'm guessing wildly here.

Originally Posted by Koyote

If any of you naysayers think my reasons for running disc brakes (on two of my five bikes) are stupid, ill-informed, whatever, let's hear it right here. I'm eager to process your logic.

​​​​​​
Old 02-14-24, 05:44 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Need? What is this "Need" ****? We're talking about bikes, for cripes sake!
...in this sense, disc brakes are a lot like stinkin' badges.
Old 02-14-24, 05:55 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...in this sense, disc brakes are a lot like stinkin' badges.
Some fixie riders will say that about ANY brakes.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-14-24, 06:08 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
My rim brakes feel the same as the disc brakes I've ridden. I only ride when it's dry out. So what, exactly, am I missing?
Scotland!

The Jacobite
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 02-14-24, 06:23 PM
smd4

Sheer cussedness?
Now Gene, I thought you were better than name calling!
Old 02-14-24, 06:26 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Scotland!

The Jacobite
It’s a gorgeous train and scenery, but beyond that the relevance is lost on me.

BTW, steam locomotives use tire brakes.
Old 02-14-24, 06:41 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts

Would you mind elaborating? Just did a quick search but was quickly drowning in references to "4-8-4 lead truck brakes" and "wheel coolers." Way out of my depth.
Old 02-14-24, 06:49 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Would you mind elaborating? Just did a quick search but was quickly drowning in references to "4-8-4 lead truck brakes" and "wheel coolers." Way out of my depth.
Steam locomotive drive wheels have replaceable tires. Sure, they’re made of steel, but they’re separate from the wheel (or “wheel center”). Instead of using tire levers to install them, they use fire to make them expand, install them, and let them cool onto the wheel for a shrink fit. The cast iron brake shoes are forced against the tires to effect braking. And yes, the heat generated from braking down long grades has been known to heat the tires enough to loosen them from the wheels—probably where you saw the wheel cooler reference.

Last edited by smd4; 02-14-24 at 06:56 PM.
Likes For smd4:
Old 02-14-24, 07:00 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
I just like using compressed air to blow off the disc brake dust.
Old 02-14-24, 07:08 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

If you don't ride in the rain then you don't ride in Scotland. And if you don't ride in Scotland you miss beautiful scenery and wonderful people...

On the subject of brakes:

I have never heard of a TGV becoming a runaway train (is it because they use disc brakes?)

Old 02-14-24, 07:11 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Now Gene, I thought you were better than name calling!
You must not know me very well, then.

Old 02-14-24, 07:14 PM
smd4

If you don't ride in the rain then you don't ride in Scotland. And if you don't ride in Scotland you miss beautiful scenery and wonderful people...

On the subject of brakes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFJ3KayeUTc

I have never heard of a TGV becoming a runaway train (is it because they use disc brakes?)

They may use disc brakes, but I don’t know what they use to apply them. If whatever system they use fails, the disc brakes—like any brakes—are useless.
Old 02-14-24, 07:28 PM
DangerousDanR

They may use disc brakes, but I don’t know what they use to apply them. If whatever system they use fails, the disc brakes—like any brakes—are useless.
Let me think... Back in my fire and rescue days most of our heavy vehicles (the 4,000 gallon tender comes to mind) had fail safe air brakes, which I believe became common on rail road cars as well. Yes, if the springs all fail then you have no brakes, but air pressure keeps the brakes off so if the compressor fails the vehicle stops unless all the braked wheels fail.

Note well: my experience with rim brakes on alloy wheels has been that they are adequate until the rims or the cables ice up. On carbon, just getting wet means a significant speed adjustment.
Old 02-14-24, 07:31 PM
smd4

Let me think... Back in my fire and rescue days most of our heavy vehicles (the 4,000 gallon tender comes to mind) had fail safe air brakes, which I believe became common on rail road cars as well. Yes, if the springs all fail then you have no brakes, but air pressure keeps the brakes off so if the compressor fails the vehicle stops unless all the braked wheels fail.

Note well: my experience with rim brakes on alloy wheels has been that they are adequate until the rims or the cables ice up. On carbon, just getting wet means a significant speed adjustment.
Note: It’s possible for “fail safe” railroad air brakes to fail. Maybe not often, but when it does, the outcomes aren’t desirable. Often happens on downgrades where the engineer applies the brakes too often without letting the auxiliary tanks recharge from the compressor. Then there isn’t enough air to apply the brakes after a reduction.

Last edited by smd4; 02-14-24 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-14-24, 11:40 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I get what cyccommute means. Or, at least, I'm guessing he has a pragmatic attitude toward such things, same as I do. For me, most things are either good enough or not.

Like electric guitar pickups: people on forums endlessly debate the merits of one boutique pickup versus another versus the original patent pending Gibson pickup they're both based on - for me, pickups either work or they don't.
I don't really know anything about guitar pickups but I do know about bass guitar pickups. I wouldn't want to play a song with the wrong set of pickups for that song. It'd work sure, but the sound would be wrong. Series P for classic rock, J and MM for funk and a weird combination of all of the above for song that originally used double bass. Parallel humbuckers for more modern stuff.

Conveniently I have a bass that allows me to choose coils and wiring modes on the fly so I get 90% of my playing needs met with that. Still need that HH stingray though...

Anyhoo, pickups don't really compare that well because there aren't really truly bad pickups in my experience. But there are truly bad brakes. Cantilevers aren't great...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.