Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Slime. How much to you trust it?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-24, 11:30 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts

I have fat tires on a fat bike with the tires loaded with slime. I don’t carry a tire repair kit. How much would you trust it?

Old 02-20-24, 11:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I haven't flatted in three years other than when my tires were worn down to the threads. I don't use Slime or anything else. Just tire and butyl tube. I still have a tube in my bag just in case.

It's not a matter of trust. It's just a matter of how often you flat. And whether or not it's a big deal if you do flat while out and about.
Old 02-20-24, 11:57 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Back in the 90s, I used slime inside of inner tubes and it worked really well against thorns. But I would never ride without a repair kit (spare tube, pump). Think about the scenario in which the puncture is too big for the slime to seal - what would you do in that case, would you prefer that over carrying a repair kit?
Old 02-20-24, 01:31 PM
Small cog

Bikes: Vintage Raleigh and more modern Roberts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
I had Slime filled tubes fitted for a ride along some English canals just after the hawthorn hedges had been cut and when I removed the tubes there were 15 holes in the rear, 9 in the front and I had kept going with nothing more than topping the pressure up. Having said that I would not go far from home without a spare tube, I am not sure how well a patch would stick to a hole with Slime oozing out of it if needed.
Likes For Small cog:
Old 02-20-24, 01:38 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
slime couldn't prove to me it could do as expected.
Old 02-20-24, 02:28 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Not at all.

If punctures are that much of a concern, consider puncture resistant tires or Tanis foam inserts.
Old 02-20-24, 02:36 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
So going by the Slime website for a 2"x29" tire I would need about 7-8 ounces per tire.
Perhaps that 7-8 ounces per tire would be better suited for a more robust tire?
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 02-20-24, 04:14 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 410 Posts
Down here in Southern Arizona everything has thorns and I found slime might slow a small leak but not repair, you still need to find the leak and patch, which is now often a mess. I also tried it in a pneumatic hand cart tire and it has slowed the leak but not repaired so maybe it would allow you to get home for patching in some cases.
Old 02-20-24, 04:27 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
I tried slime in the eighties and found that I liked Tuffy strips better. I currently prefer more robust tires. You having a fat bike, this might be more of a problem.
Old 02-20-24, 06:18 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
I trust.

While verifying, I carry a pump. And a TPU tube.
Old 02-20-24, 06:37 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
I've never known any one who had a positive experience with Slime, including myself. It is just a mess and if it does what it says, I've never seen it. It's just a proper mess. It doesn't stop the leak. It oozes between the tire and the tube coating everything in a slimy stink. In addition to not stopping the leak & stinking up the place, it also stops patches from sticking so you are worse off than when you started.

It is good at clogging valve holes. So, there is that if you don't like adding air to your tires every once in a while.

In short I do not trust it at all.

Product rating: -10 of 10
(It would be 0 of 10 but it actively does the opposite of what it claims.)

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 02-20-24, 06:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Not at all, maybe if it was a tubeless set up and it was the slime tubeless sealant I would say sure but the slime they use for motor vehicles not at all. Basically if I was using tubes I would just use normal butyl inner tubes and keep them properly inflated and if I was really getting a lot of flats I would consider Tannus inserts if I was keeping tubes. Otherwise I would just go tubeless and use a good tubeless sealant and carry a tube just in case and hopefully never need it.

Slime is a product that makes a gooey mess and usually doesn't do much. You couldn't really pay me to use it.
Old 02-20-24, 08:51 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
I started a thread last year about this. My position was that it worked well for low performance and low maintenance tires. To me, that’s the kids bikes, stroller wheels, and I’m pretty happy with it on my cargo ebike, when using extra thick tubes.

It’s not appropriate for being a long way from home or places you can’t walk out of.

It has its place. I’m certain that I have not bought my last bottle of slime.
Old 02-20-24, 09:17 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
One good sidewall cut - which happens - and your Slime will gush out and you will be stranded. At the very least carry a tube, pump and a dollar bill as a boot.

Old 02-20-24, 09:59 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
My experience is that Slime treats a valve like a hole in the tube (which, technically, it is), and eventually clogs up the valve mechanism to the point that the valve itself is a slow leak. Presta or Schrader.

My wife used Slime in the tubes on her cruiser. One night she had an unexpected front blowout and came home looking like an (angry) extra from a Ghostbusters movie.

When I patch tubes for nonprofits, I consider sealant in the tube to be a strike against the tube, as these tubes can test fine but develop slow (or fast) leaks later.

I would never trust any sealant-filled tube sufficiently to not carry a spare and a patch kit.

An acquaintance of mine uses latex sealant in his tubeless mountain bike tires, and really likes it. But he still carries patches and boots.
Old 02-20-24, 11:09 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
I carry an extra tube regardless of the tire set up. Especially off road. other than usual punctures, a side wall can get sliced, a valve can get damaged (yes, it's happened)
Old 02-21-24, 02:39 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
All of these solutions are good and undoubtedly reduce punctures. But there's no way I'd go any distance without a backup. It's always possible to get a hole too big for slime to fix.

Edit: I should say reduce flats, since technically they don't actually reduce punctures, just mitigate them.

Last edited by jgwilliams; 02-21-24 at 02:40 AM. Reason: flats not punctures
Old 02-21-24, 03:04 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
I tried the MUC off no puncture inner tube sealant which is similar to slime. It clogged my valve on the second day and caused a slow overnight leak for 2 days. But after reinflating several times, the valve cleared itself.

But somehow a slit appeared on the tube and was splitting. I think it was a manufacturing defect. I replaced the tube and stopped using the sealant.

When I use Schwalbe tires with greenguard, like the Marathon, I've never gotten punctures in the first 2 years of use.
Likes For tomtomtom123:
Old 02-21-24, 01:35 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
The Green Guards, after two years, have had zero flats and certainly should have with the $#!^ I have run over.
Old 02-21-24, 06:05 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
My experiment has begun. Just loaded up the kids' tubes with Flat Attack tire sealant (4oz per tire, two bottles, total cost at the LBS $26) and we'll see how that goes. I'll never use the stuff for my bikes, as I can repair on the road in minutes. But a puncture is a much bigger deal in their world. 26" MTB and 20" BMX will be our subjects, with a routine history of goat head punctures that I get to patch. I'll report back.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 02-21-24, 06:32 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I haven't flatted in three years other than when my tires were worn down to the threads.
I commented once how many years it had been since I flatted and soon after had a flat within two blocks from home as I was heading out. A similar thing happened when I mentioned I've never broke a chain. I'm never going to tell anyone I've never broke a spoke.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 02-21-24, 07:14 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
No experience with Slime on bikes, but I have used Slime on 3 different occasions (I am hard of learning) on my cars. It failed to seal the leaks on all three of those occasions. No Slime anything for me any more.

Just go with the tried and true tubeless set up and forget about these half ash measures.
Old 02-23-24, 07:49 PM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
I patched a tubular tire puncture with slime. The next day I pumped it to full pressure then bent over to get a close look. At that moment the slime blasted out of the puncture and directly into my eye. No more slime.
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Old 02-23-24, 08:16 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
I have fat tires on a fat bike with the tires loaded with slime. I don’t carry a tire repair kit. How much would you trust it?
Stuff happens. A large enough and sharp enough object can defeat any slime you would ever want to put in a tire and ride. I insist on having the capability to get me though such a cut, repair the tire to rideable and inflate several times. Or stay within walking distance or cell phone range of someone who will pick you up without adverse consequences.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 02-23-24, 09:32 PM
cweb99

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 58 Posts
Slime is great for bigger tires. No so much for road. My experience