Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Swapped 42t to 36t inner chainring-> chain slack

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-22, 06:20 PM
curiousabe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 28 Posts

So I'm currently running campagnolo triomphe groupset:

52-42 front
14-28 back

Got a hold of a 36t inner chainring to swap the 43 one but once swapped the chain has a lot of slack and is physically touching the fd when running small inner and largest back (36-28).

Could I get away with simply shortening the chain or is 52-36 front with 14-28 back simply too much if a gap for the triomphe rd and/or FD?

Old 07-02-22, 06:37 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Well first RD cage should be angled backwards with that much slack. I'll defer to the Campy experts. Cage spring tension seems off to me.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 07-02-22, 06:44 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 919 Times in 447 Posts
You need to find out your RD's max cog size and capacity, in teeth. Then you can compare those figures to what you need, which is (52+28)-(28+14)= 38T capacity needed.

If this is your derailleur, it has only 32T capacity, so won't work:
https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/site...erailleur.html

Edit: oops, that should be (52+28)-(36+14), so 30 T, so it might work, if the link is to your actual derailleur. Put it in the large-large combo, and take out as many links as you can w/o stretching the derailleur more than it can go. Then see if there is still slack in the small-small combo - hopefully not.

Last edited by Fredo76; 07-02-22 at 07:20 PM. Reason: calculation wrong
Old 07-02-22, 06:49 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,967 Posts
Chain wrap info is hard to come by for these era RDs (Victory, Triomphe, 980, 990), but I agree with the above...that RD pivot should be picking up slack and leveling out cage wise.

That said 14 back, 16 front is a lot to wrap for the lowly Campy.

990 supposedly was the best of that foursome above.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 07-02-22, 08:10 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 488 Posts
Disraeli Gears lists both 32 and 28 as the max chain wrap, depending on the version. You're right in the middle at 30 so you are somewhat pushing the envelope. However, with judicious adjustment of the fore-aft position of the wheel and experimenting with different chain lengths I bet you could make it work. First thing to do is to try moving the wheel back in the dropouts. If that doesn't work, is the cage pivoted back as far as the spring or stop will let it go? If so, perhaps your chain is too long. If the spring is too slack, most of these derailleurs have a way of adjusting the tension (usually by moving the end of the spring to a different hole in the cage.

Also, another common issue is that the upper pulley hits the large cog which stops the cage from pivoting as far as it needs to. Again, this can often be dealt with by moving the wheel or changing the chain length.

If all else fails, see if you can find a smaller large chainring which will allow a shorter chain while still avoiding big-big problems.
Likes For davester:
Old 07-02-22, 08:42 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Front mechanism is not the problem.

the prior suggestions should help.
or a Soma long cage
Old 07-02-22, 08:56 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Originally Posted by repechage
...or a Soma long cage
That would be nice, but I'm pretty sure that will not fit the Triomphe/Victory derailleurs. There is an available long-cage version of the derailleur (Triomphe Leisure or Victory LX) but these are a bit hard to come by.
Old 07-03-22, 07:31 AM
curiousabe

Originally Posted by davester
Disraeli Gears lists both 32 and 28 as the max chain wrap, depending on the version. You're right in the middle at 30 so you are somewhat pushing the envelope. However, with judicious adjustment of the fore-aft position of the wheel and experimenting with different chain lengths I bet you could make it work. First thing to do is to try moving the wheel back in the dropouts. If that doesn't work, is the cage pivoted back as far as the spring or stop will let it go? If so, perhaps your chain is too long. If the spring is too slack, most of these derailleurs have a way of adjusting the tension (usually by moving the end of the spring to a different hole in the cage.

Also, another common issue is that the upper pulley hits the large cog which stops the cage from pivoting as far as it needs to. Again, this can often be dealt with by moving the wheel or changing the chain length.

If all else fails, see if you can find a smaller large chainring which will allow a shorter chain while still avoiding big-big problems.
Tried unscrewing the dropout screws quite a bit and the chain got super tight when in large front and large back still too much slack while on small front and large back though

Not sure how I'm supposed to adjust the spring tension? I can only see two small adjustment screws on the front of the deraueileur:

Last edited by curiousabe; 07-03-22 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-03-22, 08:01 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 961 Posts
I think your rear derailleur needs to flushed out and cleaned, if that won't do the trick it is probably time to move forward and replace.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 07-03-22, 08:31 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Well first RD cage should be angled backwards with that much slack. I'll defer to the Campy experts. Cage spring tension seems off to me.
The Triomphe rear derailleur does not have a means to change the parallelogram angle (no "B-screw"). The pulley cage is not long enough to wrap the chain when on the small ring and smaller rear sprockets while still being able to handle the large ring and larger rear sprockets. There was a long-cage version of the Triomphe rear derailleur, but it's fairly rare. It's possible that a long "Rally" cage (or Soma copy of the Rally cage) could be fitted to provide sufficient chain wrap, but unless you fabricate it yourself, Art Stump-style, the cost would be more than simply buying a modern long cage derailleur. A modern derailleur, which B-screw adjustment, upper and lower sprung pivots, and slant parallelogram will also perform much better than the Triomphe unit. Unless the OP is set on keeping the Triomphe, that's what I'd recommend.

N.B. the front derailleur should be able to handle things just fine.
Old 07-03-22, 09:09 AM
davester

Originally Posted by curiousabe
Not sure how I'm supposed to adjust the spring tension? I can only see two small adjustment screws on the front of the deraueileur:
I don't know for sure on the Triomphe, but for the Super Record and Nuovo Record on which it is based you would remove the cage and then move the end of the spring inside the lower pivot to one of two different holes in the cage. If you remove the upper jockey wheel you should be able to see which hole the spring is currently in. From your photo it sure looks like the derailleur is not pivoting back far enough, which would be due to either spring tension or the upper jockey wheel colliding with the large freewheel cog. Are you absolutely sure that the jockey wheel isn't colliding, because it sure looks like it.
Likes For davester:
Old 07-03-22, 09:16 AM
curiousabe

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The Triomphe rear derailleur does not have a means to change the parallelogram angle (no "B-screw"). The pulley cage is not long enough to wrap the chain when on the small ring and smaller rear sprockets while still being able to handle the large ring and larger rear sprockets. There was a long-cage version of the Triomphe rear derailleur, but it's fairly rare. It's possible that a long "Rally" cage (or Soma copy of the Rally cage) could be fitted to provide sufficient chain wrap, but unless you fabricate it yourself, Art Stump-style, the cost would be more than simply buying a modern long cage derailleur. A modern derailleur, which B-screw adjustment, upper and lower sprung pivots, and slant parallelogram will also perform much better than the Triomphe unit. Unless the OP is set on keeping the Triomphe, that's what I'd recommend.

N.B. the front derailleur should be able to handle things just fine.
Not set on keeping the triomphe rd at all, what modern derailuer would you recommend that would work right of the bat?
Old 07-03-22, 09:21 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by curiousabe
Not set on keeping the triomphe rd at all, what modern derailuer would you recommend that would work right of the bat?
Something like this ought to work:

https://www.nashbar.com/sunrun-hg35-...79123?v=633398