Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

racer thinking of switching to flat bar setup

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-10, 12:54 PM
captnfantastic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I ride/race a redline conquest with a pretty standard cross set up. I don't have inline top mounted brakes and i ride on top of the hoods most of the time. Riding in the hoods is not uncomfortable for me but I feel that I would be more comfortable on the bike if i switched my cockpit to a more mtn bike style setup: ditch the drop bars switch to mtn shifters and brakes. I know it would look weird and is pretty unconventional but I think it would help with control. thoughts?
Old 09-22-10, 01:00 PM
ghettocruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Speaking as someone who switches from a flat bar bike to a drop bar bike on an weekly basis, I wouldn't leap into buying a new bar and brake/shifter levers without trying it first.

Is there a flat-bar bike you can demo, even a MTB with slicks or something?
Old 09-22-10, 02:32 PM
captnfantastic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well i'm mostly a roadie but I have a full suspension mtn too and I enjoy the control offroad that i have on the mountain bike. I am wondering the actual benefits of drop bars in cross racing. It is a legal issue where racing bikes must have drop bars (i dont think this is it). could it be that a cross bike would look stupid with a mtn setup? possibly. Maybe for faster cross courses drop bars cut time? Maybe the geometry of cross bikes would make flat bar setups too scrunched making the rider sit too high.
Old 09-22-10, 02:37 PM
kerley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried flat bars a few weeks ago but after two weeks was missing the drops. (change was easy as I am on single speed) I found the upright position on flats to feel much slower but then when I have drops I am in the drops more than half the time and on hoods the rest. I just find the more forward position much better for getting power down and maintaining speed.
The control is not really an issue either although jumping around and manualling over mounds and so on was more fun on flats.
Old 09-22-10, 04:08 PM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by captnfantastic
Well i'm mostly a roadie but I have a full suspension mtn too and I enjoy the control offroad that i have on the mountain bike.
If you're lacking control then your drops are probably too narrow. Look at Salsa Moto Aces and Bell Laps and Nitto Noodles; all come in larger sizes, and the Salsas have some very useful flare. Possibly use a shorter stem too.

If that fails then you could try your current controls on Moustache Bars.

I am wondering the actual benefits of drop bars in cross racing.
They're considerable when your drops fit you. Probably the winningest MTB racer of all time was Jaquie Phelan on her drop bar MTB "Otto" - this was before MTB course got insane so you need flat bars for landing from large drops. Drops let you get your centre of gravity lower for cornering; riding the hoods gives you a power position equivalent to bar ends, but with brakes.

Last edited by meanwhile; 09-22-10 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-22-10, 04:22 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Also make sure to have your hoods a little higher on the bars than you would on your rod bike. That has helped me.
Old 09-25-10, 02:32 PM
gresam
Superdrome

Bikes: 2008 Ridley Damocles, 2000 Pinarello Galileo, 2007 Brass Knuckle, 87 Fuso Fixie & 90s Powerlite BMX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Switching to brake levers for a flat bar may also change the pull ratio for the brakes you are running. This will make it a lot easier to lock the brakes (bad) or harder to stop altogether (bad) so you might do a little research on that as well. I could be wrong, maybe they'll be fine... but I think hoods vs MTB levers have different pull ratios.
Old 10-13-10, 03:59 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I converted my Bianchi San Jose to a Nitto North Roads bar with brake levers. I found I had to install a stem riser to jack it up high enough for comfortable riding. Don't follow convention on bars any more than on tire size if you're not CX racing.

Hope this helps to make your urban commute more friendly.

Last edited by NormanF; 10-13-10 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-13-10, 11:05 PM
captnfantastic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do race. I see about 1 in 40 cx bikes at races with flat bar setups. I'll ask some guys about it next sunday who have the setup. Like I said earlier I don't really have comfort issues with my drop bars I just don't know if it's the best way to ride CX. I see some guys jumping barriers at races and when i practice it I can't get a good grip for lifting up. That's another story though, i'm not in any way about to spend the $$ on a new bar shifter setup to save 2 seconds a lap jumping barriers. ha!
Old 10-13-10, 11:15 PM
mazdaspeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'm going to be forced to use a flat bar on the bike I bought for CX because of the top tube length. I'm doing this on a low budget so I don't care that much, but I'm hoping I don't look like an idiot and suck too bad. It's encouraging to hear that some people use that setup.
Old 10-17-10, 10:26 AM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mazdaspeed
I'm going to be forced to use a flat bar on the bike I bought for CX because of the top tube length. I'm doing this on a low budget so I don't care that much, but I'm hoping I don't look like an idiot and suck too bad. It's encouraging to hear that some people use that setup.
Have you looked for a very short stem? You can find them as short as 30mm. There's a superstition that drop bar bikes need +90mm stems, but it really isn't true.
Old 10-17-10, 11:10 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
You definitely won't look like an idiot. If you suck, it won't be the flat bar's fault, but you can try blaming it anyway.
Old 10-22-10, 10:10 PM
Dabbo
Principiante

Bikes: Masi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flat bars rule, there is a reason why they got banned, but at the local level you should be able to ride them without any problems.
I switched back to flat bars this year and I like them much better, I never used the drops before and I had hand pain and it was difficult to control breaking and shifting.
When it is cold it is difficult to use the drops bars with heavy gloves.
I have smaller hands so that might be a problem since the road levers are not very adjustable.

Keep in mind if you want to switch that you will need a new longer stem, you can find chaep canti breaks lever and MTB shifters, so that is not an issue.

The best part is that the grips are much more confortable and you cna break and shift at the same time.

In Oregon there are quite a number of racers with flat bars and I would say the singlespeed group is 50/50.
Old 10-24-10, 12:08 PM
pcfxer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be using the mountain bike I got in 1996 (after finishing grade 6) for my first CX on Hallowe'en. Turns out I didn't actually know how to maintain a bike...BB was bad, crank was shot but I knew that and the freewheel was gummed up with broken down sludgy oil and a lot of dirt. Tubes, tires and pads are being changed but my wheels are untrue. The crank and tubes are on the way but I'm supply-chaining it to the bitter end .

Hopefully I'll have some photos of me on my flat bar (If I continue I'll snag a cheap drop-set handle bars and swap my Rival over) so I can see how "dumb" I look.
Old 10-24-10, 03:30 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a thread you might want to check out:

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=128653