Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A bit intimidated

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-22, 11:16 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Maybe not all, but many. Or shall I say all that I've ever dealt with. Some rim/tire combos are downright impossible - like WTB rim and tire combos.

It's not like mounting tires in the old days. I've seen guys with 30-40 years under their belt get frustrated with mounting a tire on a tubeless rim. As I said, there is a trick to it and once you know, you know.
Well that's the positive thing about all the internet data overload. You can at least learn what tyre and rim combos don't cause any such issues. I don't know of any special "tricks" other than following the standard instructions when installing tubeless tyres. Of course it's a bit different from dealing with tubed tyres but IMHO no more or less difficult.
Old 12-16-22, 12:04 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
If the OP wasn’t scared before, after reading all of the above, he should be now.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-16-22, 12:28 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
as everyone has said (you came to the right place), learn to change a flat and you're good

also read up on flat resistant tires

It looks like a complicated machine but it's really not..Bike Forum will teach you all you need to know and more
Old 12-16-22, 12:50 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
Bike Forum will teach you all you need to know and more
....or confuse and intimidate you even more.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 12-16-22, 12:58 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by MikePFlyFish
I have to admit, everything I've read and watched (YouTube) these last few weeks on bikes, components, maintenance, upgrades, tool kits for trips, has got me kind of intimidated. Even things like seats (now saddles), and tires, and brakes have got me worried about venturing too far from home. In my youth, we would be miles from home with nothing...turn the bike upside down to put the chain back on, fix the master link, maybe use a Swiss Army knife to adjust the brakes? Now bikes seem so advanced and sensitive to any variance from perfect setup....I feel like I need to bring a tool chest along with me when we finally get to start riding in the spring.
It's not the bicycles themselves that are confusing and complicated, it's the stuff you read and watch that makes it look like it's complicated Remember that there are a lot of people in this world who have a backwards approach to everything and they will make something look way harder and complicated than what it really is.
Old 12-16-22, 01:27 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
I have to admit, everything I've read and watched (YouTube) these last few weeks on bikes, components, maintenance, upgrades, tool kits for trips, has got me kind of intimidated. Even things like seats (now saddles), and tires, and brakes have got me worried about venturing too far from home. In my youth, we would be miles from home with nothing...turn the bike upside down to put the chain back on, fix the master link, maybe use a Swiss Army knife to adjust the brakes? Now bikes seem so advanced and sensitive to any variance from perfect setup....I feel like I need to bring a tool chest along with me when we finally get to start riding in the spring.
Analysis Paralysis. Stop reading and watching all the crap and just go ride.

Road riding is when I will put on the most miles in a day and be the farthest from home. I carry a pump, one tube, one chain link, and about half dozen peel and stick patches. You shouldn't need any more than that.
Old 12-16-22, 01:31 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71

Road riding is when I will put on the most miles in a day and be the farthest from home. I carry a pump, one tube, one chain link, and about half dozen peel and stick patches. You shouldn't need any more than that.
Pretty much this. To put things in perspective, I get less than one flat per year and I ride 3000-3500 miles per year. And if you do get into a problem you can't repair roadside, there is always Uber.

But it is indeed a good idea to practice dismounting and mounting a tire and tube so if you do get a flat, you don't need to call Uber.

Last edited by Lombard; 12-16-22 at 01:35 PM.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-16-22, 01:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71

OP got over the first stage of paralysis by actually choosing and buying the bike. I think you're right, the rest of it will be taken care of by actually doing some riding. Maybe just a few miles at first, then further and further as confidence is gained.

I've gotten pilloried in the past on BF for suggesting that a lot of people find the marketing upsell stuff intimidating, but I've gotten a lot of people to ride by just telling them to ignore the "you need these clothes" and "these shoes are a must" and telling them to try just riding in whatever they find comfortable. We all did it once upon a time, and our nards didn't fall off.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-16-22, 02:12 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
https://www.rivbike.com/pages/pasade...-wheel-removal
Likes For jadmt:
Old 12-16-22, 02:37 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
Have used this technique ever since I had a paper bike (no, not made of paper, but I hear they make great cog spacers ). The only downside is one time I didn’t remove my bike computer and scratched the hell out of the face. Now with tubeless, I have only had one flat on the road which required inversion and a tube and tire boot due to a sidewall cut.

One time I rode home 7 miles with a good sized nail in my rear tire (lost only 5 psi thx to the sealant doing its job) and baconed the hole at home and rode the tire another 2000 miles. The end.

Old 12-17-22, 02:25 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
Catastrophic failures, or even mild failures on bikes that use known tech and are minimally maintained are super rare.

One can get by with a minimum of tools and knowledge just fine. Overloading is easy but it's also a choice--at some point stop googling and just try it.

Quite interesting read, btw, now free:

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoo...-your-bicycle/
Old 12-17-22, 10:45 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
You really don’t HAVE to be prepared to fix your bike, even changing a flat tire. I have a saddlebag but don’t bring tools, and walk my bike home if I get a flat. I’ve done it this way for years and ride all the time. I agree that bikes can be annoyingly complicated, and if you don’t want to service your bike that’s totally fine. In that case, walking home when you flat is just part of what you signed up for.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 12-17-22 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-17-22, 11:25 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob

Originally Posted by veganbikes
It is a shame those bike pictures were taken from the wrong side would love to see the top one especially. However they are both pretty but I do love a bike in Celeste green. Remember the rules always take it from the drive side unless the non-drive side is really spectacular and align you valve stems at 12 o'clock and the cranks usually at 3 o'clock or with the chain stay though I can forgive that one if you are using the crank to hold the bike up with say a helmet or bottle or something like that. Really the drive side is important and is the sexiest part of the bike.
Those are candids and therefore exempt from any posing requirements... and they're beautiful.
Old 12-17-22, 03:01 PM
MikePFlyFish

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
If the OP wasn’t scared before, after reading all of the above, he should be now.
LOL

So many awesome replies and so much useful info. Thank you everyone for sharing all this! I think, as was suggested by a few, information overload may have gotten to me. I'll definitely create a lightweight carry kit with the essentials and I am a somewhat handy and mechanically inclined person so I should be able to figure things out. The idea to practice tube/tire changes is great advice . My wife and I will start out slowly, working our way into the swing of things and most of all just enjoy the time outdoors together.

I was able to pick up my new Diamondback Haanjo 1 from the bike shop it was shipped to. The people at the shop were awesome....one of the Techs spent 30 mins with me and explained everything about the bike, he was really very helpful.

On the way down to the shop we stopped at REI and purchased a COOP bike for the Mrs. It will be 2-3 weeks before her bike is in and ready for pickup but at least they had one in her size that was waiting to be picked up...she got to sit on it and make sure the sizing was right, reach was comfortable, etc.

Once again, thank you all so very much for the replies and info!
Likes For MikePFlyFish:
Old 12-17-22, 05:12 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

LOL

So many awesome replies and so much useful info. Thank you everyone for sharing all this! I think, as was suggested by a few, information overload may have gotten to me. I'll definitely create a lightweight carry kit with the essentials and I am a somewhat handy and mechanically inclined person so I should be able to figure things out. The idea to practice tube/tire changes is great advice . My wife and I will start out slowly, working our way into the swing of things and most of all just enjoy the time outdoors together.

I was able to pick up my new Diamondback Haanjo 1 from the bike shop it was shipped to. The people at the shop were awesome....one of the Techs spent 30 mins with me and explained everything about the bike, he was really very helpful.

On the way down to the shop we stopped at REI and purchased a COOP bike for the Mrs. It will be 2-3 weeks before her bike is in and ready for pickup but at least they had one in her size that was waiting to be picked up...she got to sit on it and make sure the sizing was right, reach was comfortable, etc.

Once again, thank you all so very much for the replies and info!
You're definitely going to be fine, that's not a high maintenance bike. Have fun!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-18-22, 04:55 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Those are candids and therefore exempt from any posing requirements... and they're beautiful.
Yeah but I want to see the money shot. A celeste beauty from the wrong side is just wrong.
Old 12-18-22, 09:06 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
2009 Tour. I beat my Car every year. 15,923 miles that year.

Very impressive ! What is your favorite most reliable group set for all these miles ?
Old 12-18-22, 09:31 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Yeah but I want to see the money shot. A celeste beauty from the wrong side is just wrong.
Eh, it’s Celeste on both sides from my view, but to each their own.
Old 12-19-22, 01:55 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I'll ride all over the city, and Idon't carry a damn thing.
Old 12-19-22, 04:31 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
To each his or her own. I sometimes forget my minimal tool kit too when commuting, and it is fine 99.99% of the time. And the .01% of the time when something happens is usually just annoying, nothing more. In the city, it isn't a far walk to a bike shop, usually, if you need a hand.

But having a tube, patch kit, and minipump, plus a simple multitool, can be the difference between being late to a meeting or appointment and being on time, being late to pick up the kids or being on time. It's also a nice feeling to help someone who is stranded, if they want it. From my perspective, that is worth it.
Old 12-19-22, 06:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

That definitely works better in a city than it does riding in the country.
Old 12-19-22, 09:23 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
I had 1 Touring Bike and Four Road Bikes.

Old 12-19-22, 09:25 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
That's the other extreme. Fine if you don't mind occasionally calling a taxi or walking home. Carrying a few simple tools to at least be able to repair a puncture is a better idea for most. BF always seems to bring out the outliers at both ends of the spectrum. You carry nothing, the other dude carries 5 spare tubes and what looks like an entire set of workshop tools. There is a middle ground.
Old 12-19-22, 09:56 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Originally Posted by PeteHski
That's the other extreme. Fine if you don't mind occasionally calling a taxi or walking home. Carrying a few simple tools to at least be able to repair a puncture is a better idea for most. BF always seems to bring out the outliers at both ends of the spectrum. You carry nothing, the other dude carries 5 spare tubes and what looks like an entire set of workshop tools. There is a middle ground.
I would say the usual is not so much in the middle ground but way closer to the nothing end

BUt that just goes to show that a few small, light weight items is considered sufficient and worth it by most riders. At some point, the weight of the tools will cause pinch flats, and all the sudden you will actually need those 5 tubes...

But i have gone through phases where I have carried more, often when I am getting to know a new build. If it makes you feel confident, whatever you need.
Likes For Frkl:
Old 12-19-22, 10:50 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
If I am going to be out where a rescue is not possible due to major mechanical failure, I use SPD pedals/cleats so I can hike a bike home or to cell phone reception.
If you are not sure on how to service your bikes, do not have the time, or would feel better, hook up with your LBS for annual servicing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.