Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

My "Schwinn" Discover is pure crap!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

My "Schwinn" Discover is pure crap!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-19, 03:13 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Stick out your thumb next time. Lots of pickup trucks in the world. The drivers are mostly proud of them and look for situations like yours to help. It’s kind of a justification for owning one. They can tell their wife about it later.
Old 01-16-19, 03:24 PM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I routinely walk 10 miles on the weekend for exercise and stress relief.
It was difficult at first. Now I have no qualm about that. Once I walked 25 miles in one day.

In all these years, I have had to walk home only twice due to bike problem. And I ride nothing but BSO.

The reason is I keep my BSO in top condition at all times. Once I obtain a BSO, I tear it apart and grease the bearings and put it all back together. This ensures it's part together correctly. My BSO never failed me. Only two times I had flat tire and had to walk a mile or two. No problem.

People ride sucessfully around the world on BSO.
From now on, I will be completely prepared to fix a flat from a screw or whatnot on the bikeway. The taxi call or the ambulance call should be no longer necessary for that purpose. The VA , meaning you the American taxpayer, is footing my ambulance bill for this last Monday evening mishap. I would rather pay a cab out of pocket than put myself into a situation where I have to dial 911 on YOUR dime. The only trouble was that cab company I regular do business with changed its telephone number unbeknownst to me. I would have preferred to have gotten a cab before I hurt my body so bad as too have to dial 911. I know much better than to be too brave on a bicycle or too overconfident about my physical ability now. I have to be on some exercise to beat my obesity but I'm pretty clear now about how far it is to walk or pedal away from home. They have those ebikes to get home if you feel exerted, but you have to be prepared for a flat on those too. No pneumatic tire in the world is going to be nail-or-screw-proof. The green Slime only works wonders for goat heads or maybe carpet tacks but not for large holes. My bike tire may have as well gotten a gunshot wound for all the good that Slime product would have done.

Last edited by JonBailey; 01-16-19 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-16-19, 03:30 PM
balut bandit
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JonBailey
Boise is also 2,750 feet elevation and I am used to northern California living most of my life at below 200 feet.

(that's not how it works)
Old 01-16-19, 03:36 PM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by boomhauer
Stick out your thumb next time. Lots of pickup trucks in the world. The drivers are mostly proud of them and look for situations like yours to help. It’s kind of a justification for owning one. They can tell their wife about it later.
I don't feel comfortable asking strangers with a truck for help. I didn't have any cash on me anyway, only credit and debit cards. Mother told me never to take rides from strangers. People in Idaho are cliquish, gunshy, in regards to helping people they don't know. It's just easier to call a cab, hopefully a van or Crown Vic, and pull out the plastic. It's just a b__ch to wait out in the extreme cold or the heat for a cab in emergency with no shelter nearby for up to a 1/2 hour and Boise is a city with extreme four-season weather.

Back in the 1980's Yellow Cab had those full-size American station wagons. Cab companies are getting cheap with these dinky uncomfortable non-utility vehicles. The old cabbie told me that his company often gets calls from customers with bikes but his owners doesn't want to invest in bike racks for the taxis like city busses have. Boise, ID is a big bicycle town with all the poor and homeless around and limited free parking downtown. This town is becoming an LA with the influx of people, traffic and new building projects. They just put parking meters downtown no long ago too as well as restricted parking signs in residential neighborhood streets that never use to be here ten years ago. The cab companies here have some vans but they need many more in their fleets.

Last edited by JonBailey; 01-16-19 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-16-19, 03:46 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I get that dark and cold can cause anxiety, and that could lead to all sorts of stuff ...

I kinda like the bike, but would be slowly upgrading it. First I would get a "door skin" at the Home Depot (or whatever) and make some side boards for rack. Just cut to fit and drill holes for Zip Ties. Make them big enough that the bags can be back a ways w/o the possibility of getting into the wheels. That should cure the heel hits.

I'd be looking at some replacement tires with a Kevlar anti-puncture belt. I don't always use them, but I always put them on when I have them around as take-offs. Lots of MFGs make them. Shop on line. Use "thorn-proof" tubes. A bit stouter. Run as high a pressure as you can. It will often deflect an object, rather than folding over it and allowing a puncture.

As time goes by, I'd prolly replace the rack with one that has clip-on panniers so they stay put when installed. I'd carry my spare tube in a seat bag along with my tire tools.

Adjust everything like brakes so they can be taken apart on the trail. Lube everything well. Most big box bikes do not come with enough lube, sometimes none... The BB and the chain will rust. The cup and cone wheel bearings will start to rust, the pedal bearings will start to stick. Just lay the bike on its side and dribble some motor oil into the hubs while spinning the wheels, same for crank-set/BB. That'll get you to spring when you can disassemble and properly grease everything.
Old 01-16-19, 04:35 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
It was not pedalling the bike that hurt my body. It was the attempt to walk it home with a flat tire about two miles that got me in trouble with the paramedic call.
I think that you should first get in sufficient shape to walk 3 miles per evening. Then, carry a spare tube and a pump in your kit. Would it kill you to get a good tube for $6.99-9.99, or would you rather complain about Walmart not stocking your size? Your bike may be somewhat of a BSO, but all of the problems you listed would have happened with a nice bike too.
Old 01-16-19, 04:57 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Along with others here concur that not all BSO's are crap. That Schwinn you have has two annoying oddities, the rims, but that is it. If it were torn down and rebuilt by a wrench the thing may go years with regular maintenance. Our shop stopped working on BSO's because the bikes are not set up properly from the get go and the folks who buy them typically don't take care of them. Most of the bikes are actually OK.
Old 01-16-19, 04:58 PM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Here is that Discover of mine now with apes and the custom rack tool bag, a Walmart rubber shaving bag with yellow bungees and the Bell pump on top. The rear taillight is not blocked since the shaving (or saving, could save my life someday on the bikeway) bag has low profile. I think someday I will buy a small black, hard-plastic tool box and figure out how to neatly attach it to the rack. I put on new Bell pedals from Walmart yesterday too. I think $7/pair with tax and 9/16" adapters to fit crank arms. Much quieter and smoother than the crappy Schwinn stockers which were going clunk-clunk. These pedals are bigger and more comfortable on my feet while wearing Nike Air Monarch shoes. Pannier bags won't work because the heels of my feet hit them while pumping the pedals. I tend to pedal with the balls of my feet and my heels extend rearward. This allows me to use my ankle muscles for more power and my leg muscles work not as hard.

Last edited by JonBailey; 01-16-19 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-16-19, 05:38 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
I'd change those 24 paired spokes wheels for 36 spoke ones if reliability is a concern for you, especially if overweight.
Old 01-16-19, 06:23 PM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
I'd change those 24 paired spokes wheels for 36 spoke ones if reliability is a concern for you, especially if overweight.
I've only had to replace one broken spoke in the 18 months now that I've had this thing. Schwinn, uhmmm, Pacific Cycle sent me a whole new front wheel under warranty which I am saving as a donor for spare spokes. I don't care to dump all that money out for new wheels on such a cheesy BSO anyway. I rather save that money toward my next bike: a genuine Cannondale Quick 6 with top-drawer components from the get-go. A broken spoke won't strand me out in bum_fock nowhere like a flat will with no supplies to fix it on the spot.

I am overfat, not overweight. My body-fat monitor indicates 34.3 % as I should have a fitness level body fat percentage of 17%.

I use the body composition model for health and fitness, not the BMI model.

Muscles and bones weigh a ton.

Bicycles really build leg muscle.

Last edited by JonBailey; 01-16-19 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-16-19, 06:25 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I have a well deserved reputation for being stingy with complements but I got to say that BSO is truly bad * looking!

The thing about bicycles is no matter how much money you throw at them in a very short time you want to throw more money at them. It's like a monster that eats and eats but never gets full.
Old 01-16-19, 06:36 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
JonBailey, out of curiosity, how tall are you?
Old 01-16-19, 08:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,001 Times in 2,670 Posts
Schwinns are cheap and the wheels that come on those and similar BSOs are ridiculously garbage. Cool spokeing patterns look neat but build a garbage wheel unless you are building by hand and are someone like Campagnolo and even then it is goofy. Deep section wheels that use Schrader valves are even more goofy and probably most shops don't carry those tubes because they are hard to find and for odd wheels that don't really exist much on most of the bikes out there. It is sad really, they are trying to make scrap metal into a cheap bike for masses of people but make wheels that don't hold up well and use odd standards that are hard to find.

If I were the designer at Wally Mart Bike Co. Doral or Pacific or whatever crap they call themselves these days, I would go for a single speed with 36 hole wheels front and rear (with lower profile alloy rims that can fit a standard schrader valve) with cheap sealed bearing hubs, use cheap sealed bearings for the headset which would be threadless (and use a 4 bolt stem), 27.2 seatpost, linear pull brakes so you can cram some wider tires on and cheap 2 piece cranks that are 24mm spindle (I am sure someone in China could produce some cheaply). That would give someone a bike that makes sense and while still garbage at least would be less likely to have problems and since the people buying it have no clue about bikes (generally) it will be low maintenance and relatively durable. No more geared bikes because those tend to be all problems but a simple single speed would be great and if for once they started hiring someone to check over each bike before it hits the floor who knows what they are doing maybe just maybe they could introduce a 3 speed Sturmey Archer model for those who need gears.
Old 01-16-19, 09:04 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Holy crap i just got chest pains and vaginal itch reading this novel .
Old 01-16-19, 09:34 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12782 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts
I was afraid to call up local bike shops here for inner tubes because my experience indicates they are high price for things. I got that Bell tube at Walmart for under $5 with the Presta. I improvised and made that tube do until my Kenda tubes arrive via shopping. Te brakes are actually decent and I lost the slack in cables so the noodles pull out easily. Yes, my stock rear carrier is the one shown in the picture but it is not set back far enough so that saddle bags hanging on either side aren't kicked by pedaling feet. They did not design this stock rack very well for panniers and whatnot. The rack also does not have pannier guards to keep bags from hitting the wheel. I'm not a rich man so I had to make do with a BSO.
Check out Performance Bike. But soon. They're going out of business and have tubes for less than $5.00 at most stores.
Old 01-16-19, 10:08 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by boomhauer
On two occasions I've had men in pickups stop and ask if I needed a lift while I was walking up hills that were too steep for me to pedal. Both times out of the clear blue. It does happen.
Old 01-16-19, 10:09 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
I agree. Those things look like trouble.
Old 01-16-19, 10:18 PM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
I agree. Those things look like trouble.
Not worried about the spokes still. I can handle replacing one or two a year.

My bank account can't handle buying new wheels unless those spokes start breaking once a week or worse.
Old 01-16-19, 10:20 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
If a car breaks down, one can call AAA or their auto insurance carrier if they have tow coverage. It does not seem like the bicycle world has its own emergency roadside service.

https://www.oregon.aaa.com/join-aaa-...cycle-service/
Old 01-16-19, 10:29 PM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Schwinns are cheap and the wheels that come on those and similar BSOs are ridiculously garbage. Cool spokeing patterns look neat but build a garbage wheel unless you are building by hand and are someone like Campagnolo and even then it is goofy. Deep section wheels that use Schrader valves are even more goofy and probably most shops don't carry those tubes because they are hard to find and for odd wheels that don't really exist much on most of the bikes out there. It is sad really, they are trying to make scrap metal into a cheap bike for masses of people but make wheels that don't hold up well and use odd standards that are hard to find.

If I were the designer at Wally Mart Bike Co. Doral or Pacific or whatever crap they call themselves these days, I would go for a single speed with 36 hole wheels front and rear (with lower profile alloy rims that can fit a standard schrader valve) with cheap sealed bearing hubs, use cheap sealed bearings for the headset which would be threadless (and use a 4 bolt stem), 27.2 seatpost, linear pull brakes so you can cram some wider tires on and cheap 2 piece cranks that are 24mm spindle (I am sure someone in China could produce some cheaply). That would give someone a bike that makes sense and while still garbage at least would be less likely to have problems and since the people buying it have no clue about bikes (generally) it will be low maintenance and relatively durable. No more geared bikes because those tend to be all problems but a simple single speed would be great and if for once they started hiring someone to check over each bike before it hits the floor who knows what they are doing maybe just maybe they could introduce a 3 speed Sturmey Archer model for those who need gears.
So, if I want a geared bike worth a damn I will have to go to a mom-and-pop shop and get a premium brand like Specialized or Cannondale. Yes. And pay the price accordingly at the cash register.

The best cheap bike I ever bought was a $99 marron Murray Monterrey single-speed with coaster brake at Montgomery Ward in the fall of 1989 while in the service at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma. No mechanical trouble with bike except the aftermarket generator light set was bit crappy. Did not stay engaged with front tire reliably. Had to fiddle with the mounting bracket a lot. Three months later I got $5,000 from my mother at Christmas to put down on a brand-new Oldsmobile coupe and the bike was left at my unit's bike rack abandoned by me unlocked for some POV-less soldier to grab as a gift in kind. I was in really good shape in the army at age 25 and could ride that single speed for 15 miles or more on a single outing with hilly streets and whatnot but it was still so much nicer back then to step into a shiny new silver GM car. I got discouraged riding the bike on post anyway because an MP one night lectured me for not wearing an orange vest even though I had working lights and reflectors.

Last edited by JonBailey; 01-16-19 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-16-19, 10:47 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Not worried about the spokes still. I can handle replacing one or two a year.

My bank account can't handle buying new wheels unless those spokes start breaking once a week or worse.
Problem is not cost or work - fewer spoked wheels tend to deform more when a spoke breaks (a bit less with deep section rims, but still) often rendering the bike unusable. With 36 spokes if one breaks (less likely than with 24) your chances are greater, maybe just opening the brake is enough to let you get back home.
Old 01-16-19, 10:59 PM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Problem is not cost or work - fewer spoked wheels tend to deform more when a spoke breaks (a bit less with deep section rims, but still) often rendering the bike unusable. With 36 spokes if one breaks (less likely than with 24) your chances are greater, maybe just opening the brake is enough to let you get back home.
I've been lucky so far with the spokes. "Schwinn" put this novelty on this particular model to look cool. But no, the Discover isn't the most practical bike invented.

Many people are casual bicycle users and not competitive athletes, not cyclists.
They may ride for fitness, pleasure, socialization or cheap/convenient local transportation.
My car is still more desirable in inclement weather and on longer errands.
Thank god my car is a reliable Toyota product.
I wish my "Schwinn" were "Toyota reliable".
My Toyota has never stranded me somewhere where an ambulance had to be called.
I have driven my '95 Corolla through the blazing hot summer 105-degree desert of Nevada in 2016
from Idaho to California where being stuck in that heat could kill me and my cell phone may be out of service.

A practical bike for casual use should not be expensive or high maintenance.

Last edited by JonBailey; 01-16-19 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-16-19, 11:05 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
On two occasions I've had men in pickups stop and ask if I needed a lift while I was walking up hills that were too steep for me to pedal. Both times out of the clear blue. It does happen.
I've had it happen a number of times as well, while on the side of the road changing a tire or working out a mechanical.

One time my tire had worn through and I had not yet learned how to do my own boots, so I gratefully accepted the ride!
Old 01-17-19, 12:11 AM
BikingTech

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I chained my bike to a lamp post while I was talking to the dispatcher. The paramedics and a fire engine came near the giraffe house of the Boise City Zoo in Julia Davis Park where I was.
Hah! Now when I pass this part of the zoo on my way to Lucky Peak I'll think of this story. Glad you are ok.
Old 01-17-19, 12:23 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
It was not pedalling the bike that hurt my body. It was the attempt to walk it home with a flat tire about two miles that got me in trouble with the paramedic call. I rode my bike too far from home to comfortably walk it. Physically, I can ride a bicycle much farther than I can walk. Those river bikeways like I have are low grade. Going east from apartment is going uphill slightly and takes more effort or low speeds and gears.

If a car breaks down, one can call AAA or their auto insurance carrier if they have tow coverage. It does not seem like the bicycle world has its own emergency roadside service.

Coming back down river is almost like coating but walking the bike that distance is killer for me. Boise is also 2,750 feet elevation and I am used to northern California living most of my life at below 200 feet.

I don't think this tool bag will work on my 9.50" tall cruiser handle bar with a head light. The bag must not obstruct my light for night rides. The shaving bag on the rear rack with bungees works fine for me.
Don't get on him so harshly. you try walking a bike that weighs a lot and try to hold it up so as not to damage the rim(s) or whatever...I ride some old and heavy bikes and quite frankly it can hurt some. It doesn't matter if it's a 'BSO' or a 1954 Schwinn Hornet which I'm proud to own and can't afford new rims and such every other month.

And BSO is an orchestra that John Williams has experience with, more or less.

PS I've run over nails as well. Things happen. Be careful and don't be too down on yourself. I'm thankful that you are alive and you are too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.