Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Diagnosing Skin Blemishes Related to Indoor Cycling

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Diagnosing Skin Blemishes Related to Indoor Cycling

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-24, 01:18 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
just blight. i get it sometimes on my corn plants. a little anti fungal treatment usually clears it up in a few weeks.
Old 03-23-24, 12:47 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
My medical advice is to buy a high powered fan and position it in front of your bike - and ride shirtless.

Old 03-23-24, 01:00 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
What good will it do to diagnose it yourself? Just treat any symptom with itch cream or what ever is appropriate for the symptom. Keep your appointment with the dermatologist unless this disappears completely and doesn't come back. If you happen to be seeing another doctor in the mean time, then ask for their opinion. If they think it's serious, they may be able to get you a appointment sooner with the same or another dermatologist or whomever is appropriate for what they think it is.

I thought it just looked like a heat rash. But what do I know?
Old 03-23-24, 04:00 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Harold74
What's the theory behind your usage of Isopropyl if I may ask? Particularly, your using it before rides rather than after. Are you trying to clean out your pores to prevent blockages etc?
No theory behind using isopropyl alcohol, and barely any thought. Just figured that during 2 hours on the trainer, the isopropyl would discourage any bacteria present on the skin from proliferating. I finish the rides odor-free, as far as I can judge.

I also do at least one quick wash a day in addition to the daily shower, a practice that has allowed me to avoid the use of deodorant for decades. That's not because of any particular aversion to using deodorant; just the same attitude of "Why bother?" that kept me from buying any more after-shave lotion after the first bottle, in 1966 or whatever the year was.
Old 03-23-24, 07:14 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
No theory behind using isopropyl alcohol, and barely any thought. Just figured that during 2 hours on the trainer, the isopropyl would discourage any bacteria present on the skin from proliferating. I finish the rides odor-free, as far as I can judge.

I also do at least one quick wash a day in addition to the daily shower, a practice that has allowed me to avoid the use of deodorant for decades. That's not because of any particular aversion to using deodorant; just the same attitude of "Why bother?" that kept me from buying any more after-shave lotion after the first bottle, in 1966 or whatever the year was.
The other posters and I have been waiting for a time to discuss with you something rather indelicate - - It’s about, your personal hygiene and, uh…..we really think that deodorant is in order. Just thought you should know.

Last edited by rsbob; 03-23-24 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-25-24, 07:31 AM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by streetsurfer
are they whealed up any?
No sir. Flat and smooth. Thanks for your comments.
Old 03-25-24, 07:34 AM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Originally Posted by rsbob
My medical advice is to buy a high powered fan and position it in front of your bike - and ride shirtless.
On it.

I've switched to riding shirtless in a hurricane and I've been scrubbing my torso raw in the shower as soon as I get off of the bike. To no avail it seems. I'm also type 2 diabetic for what that's worth.
Old 03-25-24, 07:42 AM
Harold74

Originally Posted by Iride01
What good will it do to diagnose it yourself?
Given that I intend to self treat, I take it as self evident that it is rational to self diagnose. Otherwise the treatment will be random and I might as well smear my torso with peanut butter.

Just treat any symptom with itch cream or what ever is appropriate for the symptom. Keep your appointment with the dermatologist unless this disappears completely and doesn't come back. If you happen to be seeing another doctor in the mean time, then ask for their opinion.
That's pretty much the path that I've gone down.

- Talked to my referring GP about it again and she recommended Canasten for now.
- Got the Canasten antifungal and am using it.
- Got some tea tree oil body wash and am using it.
- Certainly will retain the derm appointment unless I find satisfactory resolution beforehand.

I thought it just looked like a heat rash. But what do I know?
Maybe it is a heat rash. We're all layman dermatologists here as far as I know. There's no need to self deprecate.
Old 03-25-24, 07:50 AM
Harold74

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Thanks for elaborating. Google tells me that isopropyl alcohol is "rapidly antimicrobial against bacteria, viruses, and fungi". So that checks out.

I shaved my torso on Saturday to make it easier to apply the antifungal cream. That gave me a better look at things. The pattern of it suggests that, whatever it is, it tends to develop in the folds of my skin when I'm hunched over in my cycling position. I might do the isopropyl thing at these locations strategically. It might also pay to get a bit leaner. Not that I'm not perpetually trying to do that for other reasons already...

Last edited by Harold74; 03-25-24 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-25-24, 07:50 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Canasten. Then apparently the persons guessing fungal at least have your GP on their side! <grin>

It's not really required that you answer all of us. Just tell us when and what worked for you.
Old 03-25-24, 08:11 AM
Harold74

Canasten. Then apparently the persons guessing fungal at least have your GP on their side! <grin>
Indeed. A giant yeast infection of the torso...

It's not really required that you answer all of us. Just tell us when and what worked for you.
While it may not be mandatory, I feel that it is good forum etiquette to answer all questions asked of me by anyone generous enough with their time to bother trying to help.

As I am at liberty to do with my body as I wish, so I am also at liberty to manage my threads as I wish, within reason.
Old 03-25-24, 08:16 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Indeed. A giant yeast infection of the torso...

While it may not be mandatory, I feel that it is good forum etiquette to answer all questions asked of me by anyone generous enough with their time to bother trying to help.

As I am at liberty to do with my body as I wish, so I am also at liberty to manage my threads as I wish, within reason.
I understand that. I have a similar problem. I feel compelled to answer anyone that quotes me! <grin>

IMO, it just clutters up the thread with phatic communication.
Old 03-25-24, 08:21 AM
Harold74

I understand that. I have a similar problem. I feel compelled to answer anyone that quotes me! IMO, it just clutters up the thread with phatic communication.
I share the concern with the clutter. But, alas, I feel that diligently answering questions asked of me is more important than the negative effects of the clutter. If the group feels that I'm incorrect in this, as it pertains to forum etiquette, I'm all ears.

I do a lot of forum work related to my vocation. On that system, it's much easier to create one post in which you quote and respond to a bunch of people in a single post. That can be done here as well but I've yet to find a way to do it conveniently, without a bunch of cutting and pasting into and out of a text editor. I feel this must be a common problem as I routinely see people here quoting entire, 500 word posts in response to simple, five word questions. That, also, seems very cluttery to me.
Old 03-25-24, 08:30 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I share the concern with the clutter. But, alas, I feel that diligently answering questions asked of me is more important than the negative effects of the clutter. If the group feels that I'm incorrect in this, as it pertains to forum etiquette, I'm all ears.

I do a lot of forum work related to my vocation. On that system, it's much easier to create one post in which you quote and respond to a bunch of people in a single post. That can be done here as well but I've yet to find a way to do it conveniently, without a bunch of cutting and pasting into and out of a text editor. I feel this must be a common problem as I routinely see people here quoting entire, 500 word posts in response to simple, five word questions. That, also, seems very cluttery to me.
Okay.
Old 03-28-24, 02:00 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
What size is the Lynskey?
Old 03-28-24, 02:11 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
I made it pretty clear at the top that I'm pursuing both of those strategies. As an adult, and the owner of the body with the blemishes on it, I reserve the right to do whatever I feel is best.
He's a doctor, and just gave you a brief consultation, for free. You didn't even have to wait 12 months and sing the Internationale.
Old 03-28-24, 02:36 PM
Harold74

Originally Posted by Pratt
What size is the Lynskey?
It's XL by their classification. The dimensions and fit are more like 58 cm though, in the parlance of vintage steel frame sizing.
Old 03-28-24, 02:40 PM
Harold74

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
He's a doctor, and just gave you a brief consultation, for free. You didn't even have to wait 12 months and sing the Internationale.
Yes, that came to my attention during the course of a subsequent thread on Z2 training. I'm hoping to have him weigh in on some other, more interesting matters of physiology.

Doctor or no, however, my I stand by my comment here.
Old 03-28-24, 07:17 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
Doctor or no, however, may I stand by my comment here.