Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Suggestion for dogs chasing you?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Suggestion for dogs chasing you?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-22, 09:24 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,064 Times in 1,081 Posts
When I lived in the midwest, I didn't go out without Halt. It has to be super readily reachable, and you have to hit them in the face, but it will stop a dog cold.

All the tricks like sweet talking or yelling "go home" may work for the casually interested dog, and sprinting out of their territory might work depending on terrain, but when an aggressive dog or three is bent on causing harm, something more extreme is needed. I've done the bit using the bike as a shield; it works tolerably well with one dog if you have time to waste.

My ultimate solution was to move to the PNW, where I've been chased by exactly 0 dogs in the last 5 years and 25k miles.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 11-07-22, 06:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18416 Post(s)
Liked 15,556 Times in 7,331 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
You have just been lucky. There are some out there that will pull you off. I've encountered hundreds that ran and barked, without incident, but I was also wrecked by a Pit that grabbed me. Some dogs will attack no matter how friendly you act, period.
Or maybe there are other factors at play. I mean, even bears know when to back off. Perhaps it's my shaved legs.

Pine Creek Gorge Trail, 2017

Yaak, MT, 2019

Hunterdon County, NJ
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-07-22, 07:16 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 265 Posts
Face full of Halt or similar generally works...be aware of wind direction so you don't get blow back...always save a bit for the dog's owner
Old 11-07-22, 07:28 AM
indyfabz

Pfft. Some of you sound like you are scared of your own shadows. HTFUQ

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-07-22, 07:30 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz

Hunterdon County, NJ
Out of curiosity, where in Hunterdon County was this?
Old 11-07-22, 07:31 AM
indyfabz

I was lucky to escape with my life.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-07-22, 07:45 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by JW Fas
Out of curiosity, where in Hunterdon County was this?
Woodglen Rd., between E. Hill/W. Hill and Anthony Rd. Near Califon.

He was digging around in some grass at the side of the road as I am another guy were descending ahead of a group I was leading. I thought to myself "That's a big dog." The guy slightly ahead of me yelled "That's a bear!" He saw us and took off into the woods. The photo is a still from a video my GF shot when she and the rest of the group caught up. There are a good number of bears up there. They usually stay north/east of NJ 31 because of the traffic. In the office at Spruce Run State Park there is the skin of a poor guy who got hit and killed trying to cross NJ 31 at High Bridge. A ranger there told us he took a drive one evening into nearby Vorhees State Park and decided to leave when he saw seven of them wandering around.

I camped at Worthington State Forest, up on the Delaware, during a tour from northern VT home to Philly. As I was riding back to my site from the shower a cub born earlier year came up from the river and walked across my path about 205' in front of me. Mom was nowhere to be seen, which was unnerving.
Old 11-07-22, 08:43 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Woodglen Rd., between E. Hill/W. Hill and Anthony Rd. Near Califon.

He was digging around in some grass at the side of the road as I am another guy were descending ahead of a group I was leading. I thought to myself "That's a big dog." The guy slightly ahead of me yelled "That's a bear!" He saw us and took off into the woods. The photo is a still from a video my GF shot when she and the rest of the group caught up. There are a good number of bears up there. They usually stay north/east of NJ 31 because of the traffic. In the office at Spruce Run State Park there is the skin of a poor guy who got hit and killed trying to cross NJ 31 at High Bridge. A ranger there told us he took a drive one evening into nearby Vorhees State Park and decided to leave when he saw seven of them wandering around.

I camped at Worthington State Forest, up on the Delaware, during a tour from northern VT home to Philly. As I was riding back to my site from the shower a cub born earlier year came up from the river and walked across my path about 205' in front of me. Mom was nowhere to be seen, which was unnerving.
There's dangerous wildlife everywhere. I think that most times just good sense and not acting like prey will keep you out of trouble. Dogs are a good example. My wife is terrified of nearly any dog, and they know it. She could easily get bit the way she acts where I might not even get chased. As you have found, there's a lot to be said about how you act in any encounter as to how it will end up, but sometimes you can't avoid the fight no matter what. You need to be prepared for that very rare occasion when you are attacked. That's just life my friend.
Old 11-07-22, 09:04 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by RH Clark
You need to be prepared for that very rare occasion when you are attacked. That's just life my friend.
I think I know a little bit about riding bikes in varied settings and how to effectively deal with situations. I had at least two "close" dog encounters during my VT and cross-PA tours this year. The one during the former was with a very angry cur that came off a property into the middle off the road and got within a couple of feet of me. The other involved a Great Dane that also came into the road towards me. I never panicked and emerged unscathed both times. Being both experienced and a badass helps immensely. Show em who is top dog.
Old 11-07-22, 09:04 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Depending on where the owner is, I ride slow enough so the dog continues to chase me but fast enough so that we can go pretty far pretty fast to get out of the owner's sight. That should be enough to get the owner worried. Who's really going to blame the cyclist for an unleashed dog chasing after everybody?

But if the dog were just a stray, well I guess I'm taking my chances and hope it's not out for the hunt and hope it'll just get bored. I used to carry dog spray but never used it. Don't know where it is now.
Old 11-07-22, 09:16 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I have always found two strategies will get most dogs to stop or give up the chase -

1. (if on a fast road bike or similar and/or encounter the dog on a downhill) Outrun the dog
2. Stop and scold the dog - "NO!" "BAD DOG!" "GO HOME!" A squirt in the face with waterbottle helps here too, if voice commands are not enough.

South of my hometown there is a First Nation community with many off leash dogs that seem to coordinate with eachother and take stations along the road and take turns chasing passing cyclists. We discovered that (lucky for us) none of them were actually vicious, just motivated to chase, and you could throw them off their chase by riding directly at them rather than trying to avoid them.
Old 11-07-22, 09:30 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
dunno, can't help ya. I have zero dog defense skills

Old 11-07-22, 09:39 AM
RH Clark

I think I know a little bit about riding bikes in varied settings and how to effectively deal with situations. I had at least two "close" dog encounters during my VT and cross-PA tours this year. The one during the former was with a very angry cur that came off a property into the middle off the road and got within a couple of feet of me. The other involved a Great Dane that also came into the road towards me. I never panicked and emerged unscathed both times. Being both experienced and a badass helps immensely. Show em who is top dog.
I'm not confronting you or questioning your abilities. I meant "you" as a generality. I was trying to agree with you concerning not acting like prey while at the same time advising others to be prepared.
Old 11-07-22, 09:40 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 505 Posts
7/26/2022 was the 2nd time I've been hit by a Wild Hog while riding and as of this time my fractured Tibia has had minimal healing (latest x-ray) but then at 3:04AM I had no time to react. LAST WEEK at 4:00AM I came across a huge DOG that I shouted at but instead of it just staying put it decided to start chasing me and its bark was not a friendly sounding one. As it was getting closer and the sound of its claws hitting the pavement became louder I grabbed the Pepper Spray - aimed behind be and SPRAYED in a forth - back - forth movement. Things got quiet very quickly.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 11-07-22, 09:40 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
You might want to learn the Superman position on your bike. 🥴 Dog bites are full of nasty germs and need to be thoroughly cleaned. The tough part is finding out if the dog is up on their rabies vaccinations. If not, you might be getting yours.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-07-22, 11:53 AM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by rsbob
You might want to learn the Superman position on your bike. 🥴 Dog bites are full of nasty germs and need to be thoroughly cleaned. The tough part is finding out if the dog is up on their rabies vaccinations. If not, you might be getting yours.
The pit that got me would have ridden Superman's back while chewing.
Old 11-07-22, 01:25 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I think I'd take my chances on the legal system on the minuscule chance I was caught, rather than the legal system on finding an owner and insurance after getting bit.

Why is that the choice? Just use a spray that's legal for the usage. No reason to assume wasp spray is somehow more effective.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-07-22, 02:25 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Suggestion for dog chasing me? Don't do that, you stupid dog!

HALT! has worked well for me (the rider) when (a) I have it and (b) I can get it out fast enough. 95% of the dogs coming after me, I don't worry about them. It's the ones coming fast without barking that worry me. Even got my second dog bite on a bike last spring, I didn't have time to grab a water bottle and didn't have HALT! with me. The tights took the worst of it, though.
Old 11-07-22, 02:26 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Why is that the choice? Just use a spray that's legal for the usage. No reason to assume wasp spray is somehow more effective.
unless you're being chased by a pack of wasps. worse if they have rabies.
Old 11-07-22, 02:28 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Or maybe there are other factors at play. I mean, even bears know when to back off. Perhaps it's my shaved legs.

Pine Creek Gorge Trail, 2017

Yaak, MT, 2019

Hunterdon County, NJ
That first bear? It didn't know you were there. Second bear was curious what was coming up the road, but it and the third bear didn't care.

The one that came up to 6-10' from me? I was too concerned with the bear to get a camera out. And my close encounter? That's a story for in-person over pizza and beer!
Old 11-07-22, 02:29 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
My suggestion for dogs chasing me?

Go home and be a good boy...
Old 11-07-22, 02:54 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by striker65
My buddy has an air horn, dogs usually back up.
A commuter, I have AIrZound airhorns on all my bikes for riding in traffic. In 28 years with the airhorns I have used it on dogs 3 times and it stopped two of them. It suprised one dog enough to break his stride and allow me to gain enough distance that he gave up after a half-hearted attempt.

One dog was an old beagle who ran out from the yard and was about to tangle with my front wheel. Less than a yard away I honked and he did a back flip away from the bike. (At least that's how I remember it). I did it more for his protection.
Old 11-07-22, 03:18 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,397 Times in 2,056 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
The one that came up to 6-10' from me? I was too concerned with the bear to get a camera out. And my close encounter? That's a story for in-person over pizza and beer!
Watched this bear stare at me 10' in front of me coming out of my deer stand after dark. After a few "go on bear get out of here" he did and went right at the split where I went left. Why I stay loaded on the walk in and out.

Likes For dedhed:
Old 11-07-22, 03:21 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
My suggestion for dogs chasing you is that they might be just a little faster if they shave their legs.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-07-22, 03:32 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4947 Post(s)
Liked 8,089 Times in 3,828 Posts
Is the dog named Eddie?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.