Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike locks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-16, 05:14 PM
Deadpedal14
Definite newbie

Bikes: SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm getting paranoid about my new bike just reading this thread!

Although I'm well aware of the criminal element it seems that opinions on securing your bike are all over the place. I do know that locking your bike(wether you are using an $8 dollar Wal Mart lock or a $3000 dollar Doomsday system that will behead any would be thief) will deter the casual thief. But lets say you stop at the local Wally World to get a couple of things. Chain? Cable? U lock? Depleted Uranium armored lock? Squad of Marines?
Old 08-10-16, 06:09 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Deadpedal14

Although I'm well aware of the criminal element it seems that opinions on securing your bike are all over the place. I do know that locking your bike(wether you are using an $8 dollar Wal Mart lock or a $3000 dollar Doomsday system that will behead any would be thief) will deter the casual thief. But lets say you stop at the local Wally World to get a couple of things. Chain? Cable? U lock? Depleted Uranium armored lock? Squad of Marines?
Old 08-10-16, 06:26 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Name me any cable lock or chain I cant buzz thru in a minute or so with a battery powered dremel tool with a cutting blade.

A small light cable and padlock will keep a bike safe from the opportunist, but no lock cable or chain will be stopped by a determined bike thief. Keep you bike in sight at all times.
Old 08-10-16, 07:04 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Deadpedal14

The issue of locks and how far one goes, is one of the more fascinating biking topics for me, as circumstances vary so wildly from person to person.

I think that the locking options one uses, should depend on at least 4 factors, in no particular order:

1. Value of bike
2. Time away from bike
3. Location where you will be leaving said locked bike
4. Weight of locks that you will have to carry with you

If you are Touring, you probably will have to carry your full arsenal of locks with you, whereas a local commuter can choose what lock(s) to take, depending on the nature of the trip.

If one has a U-Lock or Chain or Folding lock, you can leave this at home if you are just going to go for a 1hr ride for some exercise and don't plan to stop.

But if you stop at some shops for just a few minutes on your way home from work, you will want some level of security and if you are say riding into the city to watch a movie for a few hours, you probably want close to the maximum protection you have.

The lowest level of Security I have on my bike at all times is my ABUS Amparo 4850 frame lock, which secures my rear wheel.

So if I am just going to go for a short ride where I am not expecting to stop, that will be the only security I have with me.

When I am expecting to stop off at the shops for some quick shopping, then I add the chain(1.5metres x 6mm Loop) which connects to the Amparo frame lock and then I can secure my front wheel and the bike to a fixed object.

If I am going to leave my bike for a few hours in the CBD, then in addition to the Abus Ampara frame lock and chain, I also add a heavy duty U-Lock from Abus for further protection.

Soon I will be adding even more security for those times I am in the CBD and in addition to the above, will be adding a heavy duty chain and padlock.

So yeah it will be possible to steal my bike if you have an angle grinder, but you are going to have to be there for a lot longer than you are probably comfortable doing.

I should say that whilst I am happy to take a bike like my Toughroad to the CBD and lock it up for a few hours, I would not do this with a $3,000 Trek Emonda or Domane or whatever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Abus Amparo Frame Lock 4850.jpg (99.7 KB, 182 views)

Last edited by ColonelSanders; 08-10-16 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-10-16, 07:52 PM
ZombieTaco
Banned.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Name me any cable lock or chain I cant buzz thru in a minute or so with a battery powered dremel tool with a cutting blade.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/ABUS-92-80-KA...5VT27FEE5FYDHR

You'll need an angle grinder. A Dremel won't cut it in that time frame. Literally.
Old 08-10-16, 08:49 PM
CompleteStreets

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been going with the Kryptonite Evo Mini u-lock for the past four years in high-theft urban areas, and none of my bikes have been stolen. It weighs 2.3 pounds. Highly recommend. If you want piece of mind, don't get a cable lock. If you're genuinely only using the bike in low-theft areas, and only occasionally at that, it's possible a cable lock could suffice for several years, as others have stated, but I wouldn't count on it. Also, you may have unexpected situations in which you wish you had a good lock. The Evo Mini is the best bang for the buck and is very light weight as u-locks go. Can't recommend it enough.
Old 08-10-16, 09:10 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Don't leave a nice bike out your sight in a public place if you want to keep it.

Best defence against bike theft is a cheap bike that nobody will notice.
Old 08-10-16, 09:32 PM
ZombieTaco
Banned.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
If you are that concerned about a bike, why in the world would you park it someplace where it could get stolen?
Because hunger happens and folks sometimes stop for food on the way home.

Originally Posted by rekmeyata
he wants your nice bike, so leave it at home and ride a $250 or so used bike that they don't want and lock that one up instead.
Why bring a $250 bike on a ride when it would be no fun and most likely get destroyed?

Your fredly/roadie/touron myopia is on full display here.
Old 08-10-16, 10:00 PM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I can only think of one rule I think is pertinent to almost all situations - no cable locks ever. They are just too easy to snip with a simple tool. Other than that, I think based upon time, location, bike and situation there are plenty of time where locking a bike is just fine to do. Reading over this thread it seems it's something never to be done unless one has 15 lbs of chains and locks on you OR you just have a POS beater bike.

I've been riding in the NYC metro area for the last 5 years. I have had two constants - pitlock skewers on my wheels, seat and headset and a good u-lock. I've parked for a couple hours many times in the city no problems to go grab a bite to eat or do some walking around and shopping. Never been nervous that it was being stolen. Now if I had a $5,000 bike that would be a situation where I would lock it but never leave it out of sight, like while eating at an outdoor cafe for example.

But I've been just fine with my $1K or less bikes but would also do the same if I had a $2K carbon fiber road hybrid. I don't want to carry 15lbs of chains on me - maybe if I wanted to lock up overnight in NYC I would think about it but I probably would just simply never lock my bike up overnight in NYC. Again, it's situational. But to ride around Manhattan during the day and evenings and enjoy the sights and sounds and lock up for a bit outside I feel pretty comfortable with the system I have in place.
Old 08-10-16, 10:11 PM
Giant Squid

Bikes: '85 Palo Alto, 80's Schwinn Probe

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Any lock can be cut through, but some need power tools which unless a thief is bound and determined to steal your bike specifically and has been eyeing it for a while odds are they wont have a power saw with them to take it.

That said chains and thicker U-locks do a better job of deterring thieves.
Old 08-10-16, 11:11 PM
SHK

Bikes: 13 Raleigh Cadent FT1/ 16 Specialized Allez Comp

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Invest in a nice U lock. The only time you would want to use a cable lock is when you already have your frame/back wheel locked with a U lock. You can buy a cheap cable lock with its own combo or a addon cable for the U lock itself (to lock the rest of the bike such as the front wheel). I personally like the u locks because they are solid and easy to carry around.

Chain locks are nice but can be a pain to carry.

The flat locks are nice and compact.

General rule of thumb I hear is the 30% rule. How ever much your bike costs, 30% of its price should be invested in a lock.. but if you have a 1400$ bike youre lock cost/percentage would not be that high.

Oh and for the extra security look into the U locks with square tubing!
Old 08-11-16, 09:29 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Giant Squid
Any lock can be cut through, but some need power tools which unless a thief is bound and determined to steal your bike specifically and has been eyeing it for a while odds are they wont have a power saw with them to take it.

https://youtu.be/pywN558dJaU?t=50s

That said chains and thicker U-locks do a better job of deterring thieves.
As you can see from the video there is no lock chain or cable that can be defeated is less than a minute.

Keep your bike inside or in sight at all time if you dont want to lose it.
Old 08-11-16, 10:12 AM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
It get's to the point where what you lock it to is easier to cut than the lock.....If they want your bike,it's gone.

If you like your bike,lock it so you can see it or bring it inside with you......You would be surprised how many stores will let you bring your bike inside,if you ask.

Lots of places I go around L.A. let me bring my bike inside.....Getting better everyday.
Old 08-11-16, 10:20 AM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
A good $100 chain and $100 lock will not be defeated by 48" bolt cutters or even a reciprocating saw. At this level, you need an angle grinder or an oxy-acetylene torch to get through them, and it will still take a few minutes of sparks and/or flames and lots of noise to do so.

This is what $200 of security looks like.

Locking skewers are a good idea to make it easier to securely lock your bike, though they're not strictly necessary if you're willing to take the front wheel off, move it in line with the rear, then run the chain through both wheels and the frame. If you have an expensive saddle, get a locking clamp for it.
LOL, what a waste of money. The last bolt cutter proof bike lock I put together was $60. 3 feet of Grade 100 3/8" chain from Tulsachain.com, plus a fat lock from a hardware store, plus a mountain bike innertube to cover the chain.

I guess that doesn't count the $50 my brother in law and I spent on destructively testing chain and locks with the biggest pair of bolt cutters a human can wield.
Old 08-11-16, 10:23 AM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
As you can see from the video there is no lock chain or cable that can be defeated is less than a minute.

Keep your bike inside or in sight at all time if you dont want to lose it.
Yeah, the objective with bike locks is to force the use of a grinder. That's really all you can do with them. Then ride a really nice bike that people won't mind letting inside - win win. No one is getting away with using a grinder inside a business.
Old 08-11-16, 12:55 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiggle
LOL, what a waste of money. The last bolt cutter proof bike lock I put together was $60. 3 feet of Grade 100 3/8" chain from Tulsachain.com, plus a fat lock from a hardware store, plus a mountain bike innertube to cover the chain.

I guess that doesn't count the $50 my brother in law and I spent on destructively testing chain and locks with the biggest pair of bolt cutters a human can wield.
I'm curious as to what kind of hardware store lock you got?

3/8" grade 100 chain can be easily cut with just 36" bolt cutters. Grade 100 is engineered for maximum working load, i.e. tensile strength for lifting, pulling and fastening things down with it. It is not hardened enough to withstand large bolt cutters or reciprocating saws.
Old 08-11-16, 01:12 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
By the time you start dealing with folks carrying three- and four-foot bolt cutters, you .... Might .... have ventured a bit beyond the range of the "casual thief," eh?
Old 08-11-16, 01:21 PM
General Geoff

I live in a decent sized city, so I want to deter more than just an opportunist.
Old 08-12-16, 09:26 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
This is what $200 of security looks like.

That's not going to be very easy or very light to carry on a bike. Plus the chain will scratch up the paint quite easily.

I admit, I carry just a cable lock on my bike, normally wrapped up around the seat post. But I live in a low crime community, and when I go elsewhere and have to lock up my bike, I don't leave it out of my sight for long. When I'm out riding, I'm out riding and don't often take extended breaks with my bike out of my sight. Basically the cable lock is to keep honest people honest and keep the bike from walking off on its own. Yes, it wouldn't be too hard to get through the lock with a good pair of wire cutters or bolt cutters, but hopefully an opportunistic thief won't happen to have a set on him wherever I secure my bike for the short amount of time I leave it.

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 08-12-16 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-12-16, 09:55 AM
General Geoff

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
That's not going to be very easy or very light to carry on a bike. Plus the chain will scratch up the paint quite easily.
That chain has a nylon sleeve over it now, I just took a picture of it before I sleeved it. It is heavy, almost 10lbs with chain & lock.
Old 08-12-16, 10:32 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
By the time you start dealing with folks carrying three- and four-foot bolt cutters, you .... Might .... have ventured a bit beyond the range of the "casual thief," eh?
I consider anything beyond a snatch and ride of an unlocked beyond "casual theft". 3' bolt cutters aren't that much less discrete or common than a smaller 18" pair.

That chain has a nylon sleeve over it now, I just took a picture of it before I sleeved it. It is heavy, almost 10lbs with chain & lock.
My bikes carry that extra ten pounds more than a desirable to steal bike built right in, and I get away with a light cable lock

How do you carry a 10# chain, and even with a nylon sleeve, how do you avoid beating the crap out of your frame? That would encourage me to just leave it home, like my U-lock.

Last edited by jefnvk; 08-12-16 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-12-16, 10:38 AM
General Geoff

I carry it in my cargo pack (Topeak MTX DXP). The chain is heavy but pretty compact when piled up, so I don't sacrifice much room.
Old 08-12-16, 05:36 PM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
thats just way too heavy unless you are leaving your ride out for long long periods of time in a high theft area.

between pitlocks which weigh nothing but a few grams more than standard skewers and a 2.5lb double shackled Abus Mini u-lock I am very confident my bike will be there for me when I return. I ride in NYC. If I am going somewhere maybe a little less scrupulous than my usual spots maybe I'll bring my 2.5lb kryptonite series 2 u-lock as well. That's still only 5lb total and 2 solid u-locks protecting my whip.

i also never leave my bike out overnight. anywhere.
Old 08-12-16, 05:49 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Interestingly, I just drove from St Louis to Seattle and realized I had forgotten to bring a lock with me. (Should tell you something right there.) I checked some bikes that were parked (all day I assume) at the ferry landing. Simple cable locks. So that's what I bought at a local bike store ($20). It's rated a 3 on a 1 to 10 scale. Mrs. Grouch and I won't be away from our trikes for longer than it takes to eat lunch.

I still subscribe to what I wrote in post #8.
Old 08-12-16, 05:53 PM
LaughingLots
Banned.

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Interestingly, I just drove from St Louis to Seattle and realized I had forgotten to bring a lock with me. (Should tell you something right there.) I checked some bikes that were parked (all day I assume) at the ferry landing. Simple cable locks. So that's what I bought at a local bike store ($20). It's rated a 3 on a 1 to 10 scale. Mrs. Grouch and I won't be away from our trikes for longer than it takes to eat lunch.
Actually not so interesting but you do bring up one obvious point.

Who in their right mind would want to steal a tricycle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.