Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wind Vs. Hills - Equivalent?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-05, 11:05 AM
corysold

Bikes: Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am a midwestern flatlander with not a hill in sight, but plenty of wind. So, when I am riding into the wind blowing at say 20 mph allowing me to hold 13 mph as a speed, is that equivalent to riding up a X% hill that allows me to hold 13 mph or are there different factors at work?
Old 04-23-05, 11:13 AM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Should be. Watts are watts....doesn't matter if you are using them to climb hills or fight wind.

EDITING MY POST: Though I will admit that different factors are at hand in both scenarios. The work could be the same, but you will go about doing it differently.

Last edited by 53-11_alltheway; 04-24-05 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-23-05, 12:40 PM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Good question and I'm sorry I don't know the answer. What I do know is that I'd rather climb a hill than ride into a big headwind.

Hills are motivating, wind is demoralizing.

55/Rad
Old 04-23-05, 12:44 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I agree with Rad. Wind, like 53-11 said, is probably equivalent to certain grades Watt-wise (if the wind is a headwind of course), but feels completely demoralizing, while a hill is something that is to be conquered.
Old 04-23-05, 12:56 PM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The problem with wind is that it isn't a solid tangible thing that the average rider can relate to given a specific road or route - it's constantly changing - unlike that 3.5 mile, 7% climb you do on Saturday morning just to get to the Krispy Kreme donut shop.

55/Rad
Old 04-23-05, 01:03 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Originally Posted by 55/Rad
The problem with wind is that it isn't a solid tangible thing that the average rider can relate to given a specific road or route - it's constantly changing - unlike that 3.5 mile, 7% climb you do on Saturday morning just to get to the Krispy Kreme donut shop.

55/Rad

If only all Krispy Kremes were on top of moutains...
Old 04-23-05, 03:56 PM
26mi235

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One difference is areodynamics -- you can adopt a better position that allows you to get greater speed in the wind. Also, on a climb speed can be almost proportional to effort unlike riding on the flat where wind resistence is an "speed squared" effect. A headwind complicates the Speed squared rule because it refers to air speed, not ground speed. Thus, into a headwind, increasing your effort by 10% will not increase your speed by 10%, although it will be by more than the 5% limit for high speeds on the flats.
Old 04-23-05, 05:53 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Riding on the flat ground and riding up a hill are completely different, with or without wind.

You use muscles differently when climbing, your position on the bike is different, and the necessary force on the pedals is higher.

The best way to simulate climbing when you don't live near hills is to use a trainer and prop up the front wheel about 4"-6". Use high resistance on the trainer, too. Ride both in the saddle and standing.

Old 04-23-05, 06:53 PM
theopowers
drink slinger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PenguinDeD
If only all Krispy Kremes were on top of moutains...
If only all mountains had a Krispy Kreme at the top! With the "Hot Now" sign on 24-7.

The stock would dive even more than it already has if they were all on top of mountains.
Old 04-23-05, 06:57 PM
LordOpie

Bikes: 2006 custom Walt Works roadie, 2003 Fuji Finest (road), 2002 Giant Iguana (mtb), 1986 BMW K75 (motor)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The problem with wind is that it isn't a solid tangible thing that the average rider can relate to given a specific road or route - it's constantly changing...
In addition to that, you can plan your attack on a hill cuz it's not gonna change shape in the middle of the climb like a Transformer
Old 04-23-05, 06:59 PM
MacMan
Sick ... again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gravity and wind are two totally different dynamics.
Old 04-23-05, 07:32 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Originally Posted by LordOpie
In addition to that, you can plan your attack on a hill cuz it's not gonna change shape in the middle of the climb like a Transformer
Mountains in disquise
Old 04-24-05, 06:29 PM
Comatose51

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Riding on the flat ground and riding up a hill are completely different, with or without wind.

You use muscles differently when climbing, your position on the bike is different, and the necessary force on the pedals is higher.

The best way to simulate climbing when you don't live near hills is to use a trainer and prop up the front wheel about 4"-6". Use high resistance on the trainer, too. Ride both in the saddle and standing.
Wait a minute... how would that work?! Since you're held in place by the trainer, your resistance doesn't increae with elevation. You can prop it up 1' and your resistance will stay the same since your bike won't slide down.
Old 04-24-05, 06:39 PM
stealthbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, hills don't change mid-ride and become uphills when they were downhills before. Worst type of wind is one that changes so that you get headwind both ways.

Had both wind and hills today. Downhills even sucked because wind was in our face and it really slowed the descent!

Sigh, I can't wait for true summer.
Old 04-24-05, 06:42 PM
ultra-g
Retired Member

Bikes: Bianchi Pisa, LeMond Poprad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hills are motivating, wind is demoralizing.

You can say that again. I hate headwinds, my a-ss is big enough I don't need a headwind slowing me down any more than what gravity is doing to me .
Old 04-24-05, 06:47 PM
cyclwestks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quoted from the roadbikerider.com newsletter from a few weeks ago:

---Gear down. Many riders hate shifting to the small chainring on the flats even if they’re bucking a 20-mph blast. But treat wind like a hill. Count each 5 mph of wind speed as 1% of grade. Therefore, a 20-mph headwind equals a 4% hill. You probably wouldn't try to climb it in the big ring. Gear down accordingly in the wind.
Old 04-24-05, 06:49 PM
robertsdvd
floor sleeper

Bikes: Raleigh Twenty, Puch 3 speed road conversion, lookin' into a Karate Monkey for a cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not really a "roadie" but I saw the title... and I can say that I'd prefer a hill to wind anyday.
Old 04-24-05, 09:00 PM
ImaGoTourNow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to think that there was NOTHING more demoralizing than climbing a good 8%-er (loaded with 40 lbs of touring gear) only to have a 20 mph wind blast you on the downside...

Oh wait... I thought that until 2 weeks ago in Virginia...

I climbed that 8% hill WITH the 20 mph wind =(

I'll take a consistent mountain to a random gust of headwind anyday.

Lee
Mountains of NC
Old 04-24-05, 09:22 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Wind doesn't care how much you weigh either (well it sorta does for aerodynamic reasons) but it doesn't care as much as gravity cares. I find wind riding way easier as long as I can stay low through it. Hills, while I definitely enjoy climbing them, always remind me that I could weigh less at my current height.
Old 04-24-05, 09:42 PM
Hegemony

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would rather a hill any day. Rode 75 km yesterday with the last 25km into a stiff gusty breeze....I never seem to be able to get any sort of rythym happening which is frustrating on the flat.....Its just like someone grabbing the back of your seat and dragging on it all the time....or grabbing a handful of front brake every so often...ggggrrrrr.

I mean it's good for the soul....thats what I meant to say
Old 04-24-05, 09:47 PM
theopowers
drink slinger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 26mi235
on a climb speed can be almost proportional to effort unlike riding on the flat where wind resistence is an "speed squared" effect. A headwind complicates the Speed squared rule because it refers to air speed, not ground speed. Thus, into a headwind, increasing your effort by 10% will not increase your speed by 10%, although it will be by more than the 5% limit for high speeds on the flats.
Ahhh, I always knew there was a scientific difference!

And now I still don't know what it is...

Old 04-24-05, 09:50 PM
theopowers
drink slinger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Comatose51
Wait a minute... how would that work?! Since you're held in place by the trainer, your resistance doesn't increae with elevation. You can prop it up 1' and your resistance will stay the same since your bike won't slide down.
I think he means that your body position will be different, and you'll use your muscles a bit more "authentically" vis-a-vis climbing.
Old 04-24-05, 10:05 PM
sewupnut

Bikes: 2005 Seven Odonata (DuraAce /Reynolds),1983 Trek 950 (Mavic/Suntour/Regina), 1986 Stumpjumper Shimano/Suntour/Regina), 1986 MASI 3V, (Campy/Mavic/Regina) 1995 Schwinn LeTour (Suntour/Wienmann/Phil/Shimano/Regina): All Brooks Saddles

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think of a headwind as a training opportunity, however, I still hate 'em. I find that I have a hard time getting the heart rate as high in a headwind as pushing up a hill or hammering on the flats or downhill with or without a tail wind. I think this has something to do with an adrenalin rush one gets from speed.

I think a head wind is mother nature's way of putting us in our place, especially the
ones that are in two directions (coming and going) at the same time.

sun
Old 04-24-05, 10:11 PM
jdub71
converted

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll take hills over wind, and cross winds seem to be the worst. My opinion of crosswinds is that they are nothing more than headwinds in both directions. Traveling east/west yesterday on our 25mi route and we had a steady 15mph north wind. All this in the rolling hills of east texas makes for a BEAUTIFUL spring ride! Even if it did kick my butt.
Old 04-24-05, 10:32 PM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hate the wind. I live in SE Ohio and we have plenty of hills. There is not one route I can take without tackling some sort of big hill. Wind just makes things worse. The thing with hills are, you can see where you have to get to and you feel proud once you get to the top. Head wind is there all the time and it sucks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.