Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to be the shifting cable J piece?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

How to be the shifting cable J piece?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-16, 11:10 AM
bikerbobbbb

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How to buy the shifting cable J piece?

On the rear derailleur, that J-shaped housing/cover.

Are those all about the same or is there any specific I need to watch for with those? Like length, insider diameter compared to my shifter cable diameter, how it screws into the rear derailleur, etc.?

I bought generic cable/housing sets for brakes and dérailleurs. I noticed there isn't a J-shaped piece for the rear shifter.

If I redo the housings, why not add a new J-shaped piece while I'm at it? Unless that's not done for some reason.

Between the J-shaped piece and the rear dérailleur there's a plastic adjuster screw piece. Is it worth swapping a new one in there too? I don't want to take it apart later and have to mess with adjusting brakes so it's easier to do it now. Assuming it's never been done before and the bike is now over seven years old, is it worth swapping in new parts there?

Last edited by bikerbobbbb; 08-28-16 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-28-16, 11:22 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Huh ? To Be Or Not to Be, is that the question?

language use not helping ... send pictures.. you got a Picture (phone Camera)?

Or find that "J piece" with a Web search, I am clueless as to what you mean?

V brake Noodle re applied elsewhere?

As someone who does repairs in a shop Replacing things is Worth it to me as the seller ..

You, being Cheap, may have another opinion.

./.

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-28-16 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-28-16, 11:44 AM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've been working on bikes since at least 1975, and even I don't have a clue what it is that you are talking about.

Could it be a cable mount for a rear V-brake that somebody connected to a derailleur cable for some unknown reason??

Update: I just noticed who the OP is. I suspect this thread will go on into excruciating detail soon.....
Old 08-28-16, 11:48 AM
KBentley57

Bikes: 2010 Felt DA, 2012/6 Felt F5, 2015 Felt AR FRD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerbobbbb

Are those all about the same or is there any specific I need to watch for with those? Like length, insider diameter compared to my shifter cable diameter, how it screws into the rear derailleur, etc.?

I bought generic cable/housing sets for brakes and dérailleurs. I noticed there isn't a J-shaped piece for the rear shifter.

If I redo the housings, why not add a new J-shaped piece while I'm at it? Unless that's not done for some reason.

Between the J-shaped piece and the rear dérailleur there's a plastic adjuster screw piece. Is it worth swapping a new one in there too? I don't want to take it apart later and have to mess with adjusting brakes so it's easier to do it now. Assuming it's never been done before and the bike is now over seven years old, is it worth swapping in new parts there?
I believe the OP is talking about the shift cable housing that goes from the chain stay to the rear derailleur. To the OP, you're correct that when buying a set of housings/cables, that there is not a small section included for this specifically. You are expected to measure the length you need, and cut it from the length that is provided. As far as that barrel adjuster is concerned, you can simply reuse the one that is there.
Old 08-28-16, 02:27 PM
bikerbobbbb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Geez...

Back here. On my bike there's a metal J-shaped piece that takes the pressure off the bend in the shifter cable.

I also found a little J-shape cable piece like this on my rear brake just now too. That was pretty cruddy on the inside. Same question for that too -- Does that J-shaped piece for the brakes come with the V brake set or do you buy it separately?

This pic of the shifter cable doesn't have the metal J-shaped piece. It's just straight cable, but this is the spot where my J-shaped metal piece is. The purpose of that is to control the pressure on the cable, right? And to keep the whole section of cable in place better so it doesn't tangle in anything, right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
jshift.ping - Copy.jpg (25.0 KB, 49 views)
Old 08-28-16, 02:32 PM
bikerbobbbb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So it's the noodle for the brakes. (V brakes)

This thing....

So for both brakes and shifting, those are purchased separately?

Do I need to worry about any internal cable diameter when purchasing these for either cable or brakes? Any teflon coating or something like that? I did notice on the cruddy rear brake noodle that it had some kind of plastic-like coating on the inside. I just shoved the brake cable through and the crud loosened up enough. The brake one is something that's possible to replace easily enough with the next broken brake cable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
brake_jshaped - Copy.jpg (23.3 KB, 48 views)
Old 08-28-16, 02:41 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerboobbb

Same old intentional nonsense.
Old 08-28-16, 02:55 PM
bikerbobbbb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And same old site.... I'd almost forgotten.

I replaced my brake cable and housing today, but I noticed the J-shaped piece on the rear shifter/derailleur.

Shift and derailleur mean the same thing to me. Shifter cable, dérailleur cable.

Add in lag on these text boxes when I type a post. It's a pain to create the post and a pain to go back and correct typos.
Old 08-28-16, 03:07 PM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Never seen one on a shifter/derailluer cable before only on the brakes.
Old 08-28-16, 03:11 PM
Ronno6

Bikes: Cannondale SR's and ST's from the '80's

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by spdracr39
Never seen one on a shifter/derailluer cable before only on the brakes.
I have used them on brifters on my touring bike in order to redirect the cables downward, away from the handlebar bag in a short radius. Worked out pretty slick.