Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lost art of the group ride

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-11, 03:35 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

A great little article I came across today.
Old 09-16-11, 03:38 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
To take your cycling shorts off immediately after a ride.

=O
Old 09-16-11, 03:40 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by **********

=O
you mean some people get home and they don't?
Old 09-16-11, 03:43 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by pdedes

"god forbid, a triathlete"
Old 09-16-11, 03:46 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, someone posted that on our club site a while back. Good article.
Old 09-16-11, 04:11 PM
z90

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker 2010 , Felt Z90 2008, Rans Rocket 2001, Specialized Hardrock 1989

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Should be read in Andy Rooney's voice.
Old 09-16-11, 04:15 PM
z90

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker 2010 , Felt Z90 2008, Rans Rocket 2001, Specialized Hardrock 1989

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by **********

=O
That struck me as pretty poor advice, too. At least go inside the house!
Old 09-16-11, 04:22 PM
FactVord

Bikes: 2011 Scott S30, 2012 Tarmac SL3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Next article please: how to address this to the freds. probably mission impossible.
Old 09-16-11, 04:35 PM
z90

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you think people don't know what they're doing, then teach them. You'll probably have good success with a friendly word explaining why they shouldn't surge when it's their turn to pull. It doesn't have to be a big deal. Most people want to do it right, and will take advice when given in the right spirit.
Old 09-16-11, 04:38 PM
mymojo

Bikes: '10 Specialized Allez, '09 Cervelo S1, '93 Trek T200 (tandem), Rocky Mountain Metro 30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So life was simpler and people were smarter & better behaved in the good old days?
Old 09-16-11, 04:42 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by mymojo
So life was simpler and people were smarter & better behaved in the good old days?
And you could take off your shorts whenever you want
Old 09-16-11, 04:44 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every group has a different dynamic and "rules". If I don't like it, then I don't ride with them again... problem solved!
Old 09-16-11, 05:02 PM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
he mad.
Old 09-16-11, 05:05 PM
gerundium

Bikes: BMC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I just did my first group ride yesterday, It was with a cycling club so that might change things a little but this is not my experience at all so far. When we got there one of the guys that had been riding for the club for a long time gave a little talk about the basics (this was an introduction training of sorts, there were a lot of new people like myself) like signalling for traffic and poles in the road and such. When we were riding one of the club members gave me some pointers to clean up my riding which i think will prove to be useful.
This is also a reasonably large club so we split up into 3 groups for different lengths and speeds, as a beginner i went with the slower group so you get used to the group riding. (slowest group speed = speed of slowest rider in the group, the casual group so to speak) This also lets you easy into it because in the casual ride it's not so bad to drop a little gap sometimes nor do they ride very compact. all changes once you move up in groups though, they do specific drills, sprints and other training things that are more aimed towards racers and skilled riders.

overall i think it comes down to finding a good group to ride with that share your ambitions, that would solve a lot of things. Many of the frustrations that i see in that article just come down to a mixed bag group where people ride with different ambitions and go off and do their own thing. cohesive groups solve half the problems i see mentioned there i think.
Old 09-16-11, 05:06 PM
JamieElenbaas
enthusiast

Bikes: 2010 BMC SL 01 Roadracer, 2012 Davidson Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are groups and there are groups.

In my experience, if you ride with a team, you will find that the shenanigans mentioned in the article are not tolerated for long without correction. As was said above, if you don't like the dynamic of a group you are riding with, find another group, or start a new one.
Old 09-16-11, 05:26 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I saw that article elsewhere.

What I have noticed in the past is there is lots of handwringing about how other people are ignorant and don't ride like they should, but very few people are willing to take the time to explain anything to a newbie, either. It's not like were all born knowing this stuff. I notice even in that article, he spends a good many words complaining about ignorance, but doesn't make any effort to reduce the level, either. I've ridden with a bike shop ride, a club ride, and the rando group. One guy and one lady in the rando group and one guy in the bike shop ride have helped out some on this stuff. (And the bike shop guy that did that is a triathlete.)
Old 09-16-11, 05:48 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by z90
That struck me as pretty poor advice, too. At least go inside the house!
I LOL'd at that. Good article
Old 09-16-11, 05:55 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4284 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
but very few people are willing to take the time to explain anything to a newbie, either. It's not like were all born knowing this stuff.
Yes. (I do it.)

The article is actually recommending that (quite clearly):

Originally Posted by article
Learning to ride was an apprenticeship
Old 09-16-11, 06:04 PM
billyb0b115

Bikes: Specialized Secteur Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
he acting like an angry bird
Old 09-16-11, 06:12 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by z90
Should be read in Andy Rooney's voice.
Yep.

There are clear rules of ride etiquette, safety, and common sense. Does anyone here know the rules? Who is in charge?
...and the author needs to get laid, or at least have a good, stiff drink. Seriously, chill.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 09-16-11, 06:46 PM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mymojo
mmm, if by "smarter" you mean realizing one's limitations and seeking experiential knowledge from a more informed group rather than the current info-age-know-it-all-even-if-clueless riders, then yes. As for better behaved well THERE is a debate...

Good article and sadly accurate from my experience.
Old 09-16-11, 07:58 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Problems with group rides include ride leader ignoring his stated pace for the ride and people up front not holding a steady pace.

Cycling club here posts rides every week and most have avg. pace guidelines like 17mph or 20-22mph, etc. Often, riders show up wanting to ride faster than that but rather than letting them ride off the front, the group tries to keep up with them, including the ride leader. Group gets spread out, people are dropped, wore out, and still have a ways to go to get home. Always ride at what you are comfortable and capable of doing or don't complain if you get dropped when you decide to stay with a faster group.

Even worse is the riders up front not holding a steady pace. Speeding up, slowing down, speeding up, etc. is very stressful and can be dangerous in a group. Most experienced riders will quickly get out of a group like that but less experienced riders will often try to hang in there, not knowing that the jackass up front is to blame.

Everyone has ridden with "Mr. Squirrely" and he's never a popular member of any group. If you can't ride in a straight line, get to the back. If you can't match the speed of the riders in front of you, get to the back.

Don't assume everyone in a Saturday group ride is as experienced as you; particularly if the posted pace of the ride isn't very fast. Give unknown riders a bit more room until you see how well they do in a group.

If someone offers you advice while riding a group, take it. No need to get in a huff or belligerent.

Everyone has been a newbie on a group ride; don't be a jackass and yell at people who are inadvertently doing something wrong(unless the situation is critical).

I've made plenty of mistakes while riding in groups but have managed to learn a few things.

One good tip: on big charity rides, leave early and avoid the hordes at the starting line.
Old 09-16-11, 08:13 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Better advice: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/200479
Old 09-16-11, 08:18 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
The problem with the article is that the people who really need it won't pay any attention to it. They already have their expensive bikes and matching clothes and don't need to be told how to use them - and the folks here suggesting that we "just need to take the time to explain things" to those guys have obviously never tried.

The problem is actually simple: New cyclists used to trickle in and so there were plenty of old timers to show them the ropes. The sport also tended to attract individualists and iconoclasts because it was an unusual and "exotic" sport. Those folks were usually interested in learning the "right way" to do it.

Then Lance Armstrong got mainstream and upper-middle class 30-somethings headed to the boutique and walked out with $10,000 worth of expertise - so many of them, and with such lousy attitudes, that there weren't enough "old guard" to get them sorted out. The result, of course, is the blind leading the blind, and now the local club ride is a bloody crash fest.

But hey, who needs experience and skill when you've got a $200 helmet that matches your frame?
Old 09-16-11, 09:37 PM
nosignature

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours

The result, of course, is the blind leading the blind, and now the local club ride is a bloody crash fest.
it is? in what sad sack backwater cycling town does this happen? i have never once seen a crash on any of my local rides, most because we rip descents and corners specifically to get the squirrely guys to the back of the pack.

the author complains about a group ride not being "cycling darwinism." then he pines for the days when riders were uninvited from the group ride if they didn't seem receptive enough to whatever mysterious wisdom that the cycling elders were gracious enough to pass down. and he's a lawyer? he might want to practice establishing a consistent argument before his next case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.