Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Advantages to being a girl in the C&V game

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-13, 11:15 AM
Cattywompus

Bikes: 1985 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, 1978 Schwinn Super Letour 12.2, Schwinn Paramount PDG 50, 1992 Schwinn Paramount PDG 3, Sears ToteCycle in the works

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me tell you about my weekend:

The family went to visit my in-laws in Bradenton this weekend. My sister-in-law was riding with us, so I told her to bring her Specailized HardRock along so we could ride out to Anna Maria Island. We roll out at 10:00, it's about 58F with a high of 75F expected. I'm on my SLT 12.2, so I let her set the pace. It turns out to be one of those rides that you would rearrange your life around if you could just have more like it on a regular basis, know what I mean? Here's just one of the sights. The Skyway Bridge is in the background:

She comes back raving about the ride and encourages my husband to go with me the next morning. Now up until this point my husband has been pretty passive about this whole C&V thing. He's had a "I'm happy you're happy" vibe, which I appreciate. But we've never ridden alone together (the logistics with small kids makes that hard). So we go out with the same gorgeous weather and scenery. I'm in front because I know where we're going. He just can't keep up on the bike he's on. I coast a lot. I scrub my speed a lot. I stay with him for the majority of the ride, but he understands how effortless it is to go fast on my bike versus the tank he's rolling.

Now here's where the gyno-advantage comes in:

Most women, had they been in his place, would have gotten frustrated with the disparity and not had as good of a time, maybe called the ride short.

Not a guy. The gauntlet had been thrown down. He now needed to know how fast he could go with the right bike. So we talked over coffee about how after the initial start-up cost, cycling would be a great low cost and healthy way to spend time together, how he wouldn't have to wear skin-tight clothes to be comfortable on a road bike, etc, etc. So he let me buy him an early birthday present.
I brought it home yesterday:

Now I want to know: was it wrong of me to have a bike in mind before we even went out for the ride?

Last edited by Cattywompus; 02-06-13 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-05-13, 11:31 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
No, definitely right! Sharing biking with family and friends which weren't bikers before is the best thing there is.

Plus, that's a very nice bike you got for him.
Old 02-05-13, 11:38 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
I got my wife a bike, and a year later we did a weeklong easy cycle tour of the Netherlands, town to town. Best vacation ever. It is indeed a nice activity to share.

I am a little afraid that she'll get the C&V bug herself though. She's an artist, craftsperson, builds cigar box guitars, frequently makes costumes for the entire cast of the HS play, has spun wool for weaving, basically can make anything she puts her mind to. If she gets it into her head to do wrenching, she will overwhelm me.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 02-05-13, 11:41 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Your husband seems to be a lucky guy! So are you, for that matter.

What does all this have to do him not having to wear skin-tight clothes?

(I never wear skin-tight clothes while riding. That doesn't bother my sweetie.)
Old 02-05-13, 11:41 AM
TampaRaleigh

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Competition (Restored to Original), 1986 Cannonade SR400 (Updated to Dura Ace 7800)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What a great wife your hubby has! Beautiful chioce!!!

I wanted to get my wife into C&V... but tiny frames were too few and far between. I'm just thankful that she rides! (And she lets me have my hobby... usually just smiling, shaking her head, and saying: "you and your bikes!"
Old 02-05-13, 11:44 AM
peter_d
self propelled lifer

Bikes: 1962 Dawes Galaxy; 72 Gitane Interclub;73 Peugeot PR10;78 Torpado Luxe;73 Grandis; 81 Raleigh/Carlton Comp; 85 Bianchi Stelvio; 87 Bianchi Brava; 73 Bottechia Special; 1969 or70 Bob Jackson

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Very neatly done Cattywompus. Now he'll be faster and you may have to buy yourself a new old bike to keep up with him.
Old 02-05-13, 11:45 AM
CMC SanDiego

Bikes: Too many to list, all titanium or steel.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Are you sure he was hanging back because he was struggling, or could it be possible that he was enjoying the scenery (the woman he loves ahead of him in tight shorts). Just curious, because I've been known to slow down ocassionally and let my wife pull.
Old 02-05-13, 11:45 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I had that exact model bike. Its a nice one. I dressed it up with some neon green bar tape and cable housing.

Old 02-05-13, 11:47 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Great write-up. Your husband is a lucky guy.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 02-05-13, 11:48 AM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
From your thread title, I was expecting the story to end with you getting a Kewhl bike like that Paramount and the hubby maybe inheriting your old one....
But I guess as long as you are both happy how you are now building up a cycling future with each other!

Chombi
Old 02-05-13, 11:50 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by CMC SanDiego
... I've been known to slow down ocassionally and let my wife pull.
I try that every so often on the tandem but it never works.
Old 02-05-13, 12:07 PM
20grit
Curmudgeon in Training

Bikes: 1974 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 2010 Cannondale Trail SL, 1988 Peugeot Nice, 1992ish Stumpjumper Comp,1990's Schwinn Moab

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I think the wrong bike discourages a lot of riders as does not being able to keep up with others than want to ride. It's good his mindset is where it is.
Old 02-05-13, 12:27 PM
Cattywompus

Bikes: 1985 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, 1978 Schwinn Super Letour 12.2, Schwinn Paramount PDG 50, 1992 Schwinn Paramount PDG 3, Sears ToteCycle in the works

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, guys. I knew you'd be supportive.

I love that color scheme, Thrifty Bill. Mr. Wompus's bike has the red splatter over the blue, so he and I are discussing what colors would look best for tape and tires, etc. I'm going to post better pictures in a new thread so you guys can give me some ideas.

Last edited by Cattywompus; 02-05-13 at 12:28 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 02-05-13, 12:31 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Cattywompus

Now up until this point my husband has been pretty passive about this whole C&V thing. He's had a "I'm happy you're happy" vibe, which I appreciate. But we've never ridden alone together (the logistics with small kids makes that hard). So we go out with the same gorgeous weather and scenery. I'm in front because I know where we're going. He just can't keep up on the bike he's on. I coast a lot. I scrub my speed a lot. I stay with him for the majority of the ride, but he understands how effortless it is to go fast on my bike versus the tank he's rolling.

Most women, had they been in his place, would have gotten frustrated with the disparity and not had as good of a time, maybe called the ride short.

Not a guy. The gauntlet had been thrown down. He now needed to know how fast he could go with the right bike. So we talked over coffee about how after the initial start-up cost, cycling would be a great low cost and healthy way to spend time together, how he wouldn't have to wear skin-tight clothes to be comfortable on a road bike, etc, etc. So he let me buy him an early birthday present.

Now I want to know: was it wrong of me to have a bike in mind before we even went out for the ride?
The exact scenario happened to me on a trip to Nantucket, on similar rented bikes, but the outcome was exactly as you described, my girlfriend never recovered from being DFL, even with my efforts to ride soooo slowly. Our 5+ year relationship went downhill since that vacation and eventually ended soon thereafter.

Your husband is lucky that he has a wife that knows her steel C & Vs. Tell him getting a vintage Paramount is like getting the Porsche of bicycles!

May you both enjoy plenty of miles and smiles!
Old 02-05-13, 12:36 PM
Cattywompus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, forgot- I bought the bike sans pedals for $230. Fair price?
Old 02-05-13, 12:44 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by peter_d
Very neatly done Cattywompus. Now he'll be faster and you may have to buy yourself a new old bike to keep up with him.
+!
Time to reward yourself for being such a good spouse, and ratchet it up!
Old 02-05-13, 12:46 PM
TampaRaleigh

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Competition (Restored to Original), 1986 Cannonade SR400 (Updated to Dura Ace 7800)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CMC SanDiego
Are you sure he was hanging back because he was struggling, or could it be possible that he was enjoying the scenery (the woman he loves ahead of him in tight shorts). Just curious, because I've been known to slow down ocassionally and let my wife pull.
Originally Posted by jimmuller
I try that every so often on the tandem but it never works.
And that is the ONLY reason I've been hesitant to buy a tandem.
Old 02-05-13, 12:52 PM
Cattywompus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
+!
Time to reward yourself for being such a good spouse, and ratchet it up!

Oh don't worry. I have this in reserve for when things start getting competitive:

Old 02-05-13, 01:02 PM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Oh don't worry. I have this in reserve for when things start getting competitive:

THAT's what I'm talkin' about!
Old 02-05-13, 01:05 PM
puchfinnland
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 4 Posts
I built my wife this from the frame up.
she is 6ft, this frameset had the longest wheelbase I ever saw,
there is a nexus 8 IGH in the back, and a dyno in the front
I painted it for her to match classic nordic style bikes.
this is one of the first bikes she did not complain about.

I then bought Nelli her first roadbike...

WOW!!!
said the wife- now she had the bug.
I then gave her a nice Crescent Mixte with Suntour indexed deraileurs, its too small for her but with the seatpost up high she does OK it is on the left of the tent in tri colors

She rode it a bit now and then but never when Dad and Nelli went out for 40km rides

I then found a tandem for us all- I thought this would get my boy into the game

well...things did not go as planned in my house

your hubby is a lucky man, to join in on your fun with you,
to have a spouse who is interested in your activities is great luck...you chose your mate wisely!

Last edited by puchfinnland; 02-05-13 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-05-13, 01:10 PM
fettsvenska 

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition-1974 Raleigh Folder-1983 Austro Daimler-198? Fuji Monterey-Surly LHT-Surly Karate Monkey-Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
Suh-weeet!

Old 02-05-13, 01:17 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Great story, and Mr. Cattywampus is a lucky man
Old 02-05-13, 01:18 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts

The family went to visit my in-laws in Bradenton this weekend. My sister-in-law was riding with us, so I told her to bring her Specailized HardRock along so we could ride out to Anna Maria Island. We roll out at 10:00, it's about 58F with a high of 75F expected. I'm on my SLT 12.2, so I let her set the pace. It turns out to be one of those rides that you would rearrange your life around if you could just have more like it on a regular basis, know what I mean? Here's just one of the sights. The Skyline Bridge is in the background:

She comes back raving about the ride and encourages my husband to go with me the next morning. Now up until this point my husband has been pretty passive about this whole C&V thing. He's had a "I'm happy you're happy" vibe, which I appreciate. But we've never ridden alone together (the logistics with small kids makes that hard). So we go out with the same gorgeous weather and scenery. I'm in front because I know where we're going. He just can't keep up on the bike he's on. I coast a lot. I scrub my speed a lot. I stay with him for the majority of the ride, but he understands how effortless it is to go fast on my bike versus the tank he's rolling.

I brought it home yesterday:

Wow nice bike! but an even better story! Wish my wife was a cyclist, but shes far from it. I had a series 7 once upon a time, and I sold it like a dope.
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 02-05-13, 01:30 PM
Cattywompus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I then bought Nelli her first roadbike...

I've got a juvvie road bike on the stand right now, awaiting upgrades. Hopefully my daughter will follow yours in the love of cycling. She rides a banana seat right now, so theres' going to be an adjustment period. Wish me luck on that.

well...things did not go as planned in my house

Sorry to hear that, Mike. Best of luck for the future. I hope things work out for your family.

...you chose your mate wisely!

Thanks. He's the best thing that's ever happened to me.
Old 02-05-13, 01:34 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2937 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,497 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with having the bike in mind before hand.

My questions is... how do you ride out to an island?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.