Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Miyata Prices!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Miyata Prices!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-13, 06:06 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Miyata Prices!

Wow, I was just looking up some things on e-bay, and I went through the Miyata pages and was pretty well stunned by the high prices that are being asked for some of the bikes!

I have an AlumiTech 1400A myself, and I was shocked at the price that was being asked for a frame only - $799! Yes, it is NOS, but c'mon, that is a very, very high price for a 20+year old bonded aluminum frame IMHO. I thought I had over payed for mine a few years back, but if this guy gets this price, then I got mine for a song! Actually, he say's it's his last one, so I'm guessing he's already sold one or more at this price.

Other quick observations -

An 85 Miyata 1000 in so-so condition at $550
A 615GT going for $699, OBO
A 714 in excellent condition for $599 OBO
A 710, in excellent condition for $755 OBO
Even an entry level 100 model going for $285

Most of these Miyata's are CroMo, double or triple butted with low-to-mid level Shimano groups, so I'm abit stunned at these high prices. There are other high priced Miyata's on sale there to, but this gives you an idea.

So, what gives? Has Miyata become the hot, must have brand, or is this now the going rate for mid to upper level Japanese bikes?
Old 05-28-13, 06:16 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3093 Post(s)
Liked 6,608 Times in 3,787 Posts
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
...but if this guy gets this price...
And that, my friends, is the key.

You have to look through the "Sold" listings to see if he did. For the higher end bikes, some sellers did. Others did not.

Old 05-28-13, 06:17 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
One of the reasons to buy a classic vintage bike was because the cost was much lower than a new bike. High prices won't necessarily stop a collector from buying a bike but it should make anyone looking for a bike just to ride think twice. I don't know if the Miyata 1000 can fetch $550 but it is has, as the seller notes, some issues. I'm looking for a touring bike and at that price, I'm starting to think the surly at $1300 is a better buy.
Old 05-28-13, 06:21 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Originally Posted by bikemig
One of the reasons to buy a classic vintage bike was because the cost was much lower than a new bike. High prices won't necessarily stop a collector from buying a bike but it should make anyone looking for a bike just to ride think twice. I don't know if the Miyata 1000 can fetch $550 but it is has, as the seller notes, some issues. I'm looking for a touring bike and at that price, I'm starting to think the surly at $1300 is a better buy.
Agreed, at that price, the bike should be perfect. Even then, it's no bargain.

I noticed that you have a Team Miyata, and there is one on e-bay right now for $1299! NOS, frame only! Yikes!
Old 05-28-13, 06:24 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Forget the asking price and use the sold items filter in the advanced search function. You'll see that things are a lot more realistic. If you compare the sold items to the closed auctions you'll find that only about 25-33% of listed items sell because the sellers price them too aggressively.
Old 05-28-13, 06:33 AM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
This is my favorite Miyata on ebay this week $1,999. May well be worth it, TA Triple, full chrome loads of mods.

Began life as a 610

FRAME SIZE: SEAT TUBE 60CM C-T, TOP TUBE 575MM C-C

HEADSET: TANGE LEVIN NJS
DERAILLEURS: SHIMANO FD-M700, RD-M531GS
SHIFTER: SILVER POWER RACHETING BAR END
CHAIN: KMC X8.93
CLUSTER: SHIMANO CS-HG701 11-30T
CRANKSET: TA SPECIALITES CYCLOTOURISTE 48 X 42 X 26 170MM ARM LENGTH

BOTTOM BRACKET: GRAND CRU 122MM
PEDALS: MKS SYLVAN ROAD, MKS TOE CLIPS, GRAND CRU LAMINATED LEATHER TOE STRAPS
TIRES: CHALLENGE PARIGI ROUBAIX 27MM
RIMS: VO PBP
BRAKESET: DIA COMPE 981
HUBS: VO HIGH-LOW CASSETTE
SPOKES: DT SWISS
SADDLE: BROOKS B17 SPECIAL
SEAT PILLAR: KALOY FLUTED 26.8
HANDLE BAR: NITTO B132 RANDONNEUR 44CM
HANDLE STEM: GRAN COMPE 100MM
BAR TAPE: ZEFAL CLOTH (waiting for shellac)

EXTRAS: ZEFAL FRAME PUMP, ZEFAL BOTTLE CAGES, VO PASS HUNTER RACK, VO FENDERS 45MM, GRAND BOIS DECALEUR, CRANE JAPAN BELL, GILLES BERTHOUD GB25 BAG, BOULDER BICYCLE TAILLIGHT, CHAMPION CHAINSLAP STRAP
Old 05-28-13, 07:01 AM
Giacomo 1 

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Forget the asking price and use the sold items filter in the advanced search function. You'll see that things are a lot more realistic. If you compare the sold items to the closed auctions you'll find that only about 25-33% of listed items sell because the sellers price them too aggressively.
I hear you, but I still think these asking prices have really skyrocketed over just the past couple of years. Also, the fact that there are bids on some of these high priced Miyata's say's there are people out there that see something special in these bikes...
Old 05-28-13, 07:10 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
I hear you, but I still think these asking prices have really skyrocketed over just the past couple of years. Also, the fact that there are bids on some of these high priced Miyata's say's there are people out there that see something special in these bikes...
Well, there has been some BF member who has been stating for years that Miyata are arguably the best of the 1980s mass produced Japanese bicycles and possibly all mass produced bicycles of that era. You know what happens if you say things often enough...
Old 05-28-13, 07:18 AM
ricohman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
What you ask and what you get are two very different things.
I bought a 1000 5 years ago and the seller wanted over $900 and justified his price with ebay adds.
I thanked him for his time and left. And no, I never told him to sell it on ebay.
A month later I bought that bike for $375. I have since passed it on for the same price.
Old 05-28-13, 07:24 AM
Giacomo 1 

Well, there has been some BF member who has been stating for years that Miyata are arguably the best of the 1980s mass produced Japanese bicycles and possibly all mass produced bicycles of that era. You know what happens if you say things often enough...
Wow, I guess this certain BF member has some real pull with the C&V crowd.

I mean, it's not easy to get people to believe that a mass produced bicycle like Miyata is worth what a high end Italian is worth!
Old 05-28-13, 07:25 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
+1
I've ridden/owned a full gamut of Miyatas, and while I think they are really excellent machines, I don't see where they are any MORE excellent than the equivalent offerings from their contemporary Japanese competitors, such as Nishiki, Maruishi, Univega, et al.

- But popular perception is reality I guess.
Old 05-28-13, 07:37 AM
Giacomo 1 

Originally Posted by ricohman
What you ask and what you get are two very different things.
I bought a 1000 5 years ago and the seller wanted over $900 and justified his price with ebay adds.
I thanked him for his time and left. And no, I never told him to sell it on ebay.
A month later I bought that bike for $375. I have since passed it on for the same price.
Your certainly right, but again, it's my observation that people are asking, and in many cases, getting the high prices being asked.

Miyata's are pretty nice bikes. They are well built and they are all-around pretty competent, but it's been my observation that they not truly great at any one thing, and they are not in the league of the better Italian builders, yet when you look at these prices, you might think they were.

IMHO of course!
Old 05-28-13, 08:00 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Ebay asked for = Totally useless information.

Ebay completed auctions/sold = useful information.

Looking at completed auctions, prices vary, but several buyers got deals.

Miyata 615GT, Terry style, $275 shipped.

Last edited by wrk101; 05-28-13 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-28-13, 08:04 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
+1
I've ridden/owned a full gamut of Miyatas, and while I think they are really excellent machines, I don't see where they are any MORE excellent than the equivalent offerings from their contemporary Japanese competitors, such as Nishiki, Maruishi, Univega, et al.

I mainly agree. One thing Miyata had going for it is that it was not simply a label slapped on a bike. Miyata built their own bikes and rolled their own tubes. I think that made them a bit more desirable than many of the other Japanese brands. But not at these prices; I'll get a soma or a surly frame instead.
Old 05-28-13, 08:15 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
A few of those ads have been on eBay for months, no takers. The $1299 frame was originally listed for $799 a few years ago when they had a couple, now they are down to their last one...or though they say.

Supply and demand. What I notice is the bikes I might be interested in just aren't there; Miyata owners seem to be holding onto their bikes. As far as contemporary Japanese competitors, I agree. I picked up a minty '90 Schwinn Voyaguer a few years back, I doubt a Miyata 1000 would be better in any respect, the Voyaguer is a dream to ride 80+ miles.

I may be an outlier, but I still will ride my old steel Miyatas, 1200 & 312, over my full carbon Roubaix on any given day. The retail on my Roubaix was $3300. You can buy a lot of old Miyatas for that price, in fact all 10 or so Miyatas I've bought over the years wouldn't add up to the cost of the Roubaix new.

Last edited by FrenchFit; 05-28-13 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-28-13, 08:20 AM
Giacomo 1 

Originally Posted by FrenchFit
A few of those ads have been on eBay for months, no takers. The $1299 frame was originally listed for $799 a few years ago when they had a couple, now they are down to their last one...or though they say.
That seller happens to be a very nice guy and he really goes all-out to give you as much info as he can on what your buying and he has great communication. On these frames however, I think he is out-of-line, but then again, if he get's it, then I'm the one out-of-line!
Old 05-28-13, 08:24 AM
Giacomo 1 

Originally Posted by wrk101

Looking at completed auctions, prices vary, but several buyers got deals.

Miyata 615GT, Terry style, $275 shipped.
But then there is this 615GT, which has already received a bid for $599, plus shipping, and it has 5 days to go...
Old 05-28-13, 08:24 AM
CenturionIM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't know that. great advice.

I got a '84 710 for $275 all original. Friction shifting, frame/wheels were in good condition, but the tires/bar tape/brake hood all needed to be replaced. I think I overpaid.
Old 05-28-13, 08:26 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
+1

Remember that many of those 'other brands' are really US-importer spec-built bikes, not manufacturers.

My Univega that I just recently picked up is built on a frame made by Miyata and is a 'tweener - just shy of the full Miyata 710 component build of the same year, but of better components than the 310. Same frame, fork, brakes, bars, stem, seatpost and hubs as the 710. So what if it has 27" wheels instead of the 700c of the 710, and has Suntour Vx derailleurs instead of the 710's Cyclone. Result? I picked it up for $140 in very-good condition.

Nishikis are pretty much in the same boat, although many of those frames are Taiwanese Giant-built frames. I picked up a too-large-frame-for-me Nishiki off Craigslist for $75 - mainly for the full Shimano 105 component group to use on another bike - but I may just give it as-is to my B-I-L to get him into riding.
Old 05-28-13, 03:02 PM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Weird stuff happens on ebay. i sold an '89? Miyata 1000 a few years back for almost $800 because it was in great shape and there was a bidding war. I've also picked up an sworks road frame for under $100. Ebay is fickle. As others say, average the completed listings for a better picture.
Old 05-28-13, 03:04 PM
toytech

Bikes: enough bikes to qualify for Hoarders......

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
550 for a Miyata 1000 is pretty average. I have sold 3 of them from 500-800 depending on cosmetics. In fact the least I have sold any touring bike for was 450 for a Trek 620 with lots of scratches. Miyata 1400 and 450 and a 914 frame set for 200.00. they can be all over the place though.
Old 05-28-13, 06:23 PM
Bruce Enns

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Agreed, at that price, the bike should be perfect. Even then, it's no bargain.

I noticed that you have a Team Miyata, and there is one on e-bay right now for $1299! NOS, frame only! Yikes!
As a BF member who's opinion has "little to none" merit on this forum, LOL ........ I'd just like to say that I would never consider selling my Miyata 1000 for 550.00. My bike is also an earlier model 1000 with half step gearing/friction shifting, etc, etc, which in most circles leaves a lot to be desired.

I know many forum members have 1000's and I'd be curious to see how many owners would part with them for 550.00. My bet is not many, but I could be very wrong!
Old 05-28-13, 06:48 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
I just finished putting my 1000 into touring ready shape I spent around 600 so far... it's also got a small dent and has been powdercoated so it's not really gonna fetch top dollar no matter how I gussy it up.
Old 05-28-13, 07:15 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
Still looking for my 1000 or later 610
Old 05-28-13, 08:15 PM
toytech

Bikes: enough bikes to qualify for Hoarders......

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velognome
Still looking for my 1000 or later 610
2 of the Miyata's I found had Miyata misspelled.. they are out there. I have never found a 1000 in my size though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.