Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Varicose veins.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-23, 10:51 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Varicose veins.

Rolls off the tongue rather nicely, don't you think? OK; I got 'em. Inherited from ma? Maybe not, I don't know. But they're significant in medical terms, and it seems like they're never going to improve. One can use stuff like compression socks to aid the calves, which, I'm told by the doctor, should come well over my knees.
I've lately taken up up Bodypump classes, involving weights to music, at the local. Gym that is. Seems like a GenZ course; dungeon like atmosphere with low lights, loud thumping music and an instructress (usually) whose voice easily penetrates.
The coordination is impressive from those who regularly attend, as is their loading. The bar bends in the hands of these mostly ladies who attack this with religious zealousness.
It is fairly full on, and I love it. But from what I read, it may well be inadvisable to do it!
The same would seem to apply to hard cycling but I've read articles to the contrary.
Anybody here have personal experience of this?
Old 11-28-23, 11:04 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Other than vanity, why worry? Varicose veins are almost completely harmless. I've had them in one leg since I was a teenager.

Hincapie has them, and they don't seem to have slowed him down one bit:

Old 11-28-23, 03:08 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Muscle tone (like you get from cycling) seems to keep varicose veins contained for a while; maybe decades. I've never heard of varicose veins self-healing, and I don't really care to go into surgery to correct them, so I guess I'll keep walking and riding around with them as long as I can.
Old 11-28-23, 07:19 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
They don't heal.
I don't think they should interfere with your activities.
They rarely bleed.
If they cause pain or swelling which is not controlled with compression hose, there are a variety of interventions possible. The surgical stripping is done infrequently these days.
Old 11-29-23, 02:44 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Just like to thank y'all for these responses; they've put my mind at rest. Being the age I am (mid 70s) I never thought I'd get this old and still be doing what I'm doing now, with so few problems. A lot of you can probably say similar; others for whatever reasons, aren't so fortunate. My best wishes to you all.
Old 04-17-24, 07:44 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
so simple to get taken care of. Dr told me that they can bleed through your skin and cause ulcers that won't heal as well as heavy leg syndrome. the surgery is painless and like 45 minutes and literally you can be riding the same day. $245 out of pocket well worth it, I guess the advantage of being 65 or older.