Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Texting & Driving

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Texting & Driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-16, 09:07 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
I could clearly see her phone in her hand as the airbag deployed!
"As the air bag deployed"?
My BS detector pegged over the super visionary powers you claim to possess.
Old 10-15-16, 02:43 PM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Phone use of all kinds and DUI are all the same thing--attempted murder. Unless you live under a ****ing rock you know that it is more likely that you will kill someone while driving under those conditions. There's no damn difference between those acts and, say, walking into a supermarket during their busy evening hours with a firearm and squeezing off random rounds. When you kill someone you would just say "I wasn't trying to kill anyone, I was just acting on my 2nd Amendment rights." No difference between that and phoning/texting/DUI at all, unless you are an absolute idiot.
Old 10-15-16, 03:10 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Glad the lawmakers don't agree with Feldman. Over-criminalization of every lapse of judgment is not a wise not fair policy.
Old 10-16-16, 08:05 AM
Nycycle

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
They say it is here in Utah.
Old 10-17-16, 02:56 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
Glad the lawmakers don't agree with Feldman. Over-criminalization of every lapse of judgment is not a wise not fair policy.
A stiff jail sentence for a convicted distracted driver is hardly 'over-criminalization of every lapse of judgement'. Seriously... you won't think that if someone you know or love is harmed by a distracted driver.
Old 10-17-16, 03:52 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
A stiff jail sentence for a convicted distracted driver is hardly 'over-criminalization of every lapse of judgement'. Seriously... you won't think that if someone you know or love is harmed by an intentionally distracted driver.
fify

Being distracted is one thing... choosing to tend to a potential distraction is quite another... choosing to watch a video, choosing to text or talk, choosing to drink and drive, are all quite a bit different from "a bee flying into the window."

The fact that someone chooses to ignore their duties as a driver, and tend to some other task, is what is key here.
Old 10-17-16, 04:05 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
"As the air bag deployed"?
My BS detector pegged over the super visionary powers you claim to possess.
What got under YOUR bonnet? She was clearly holding her phone with 2 hands at the 11 an 1 positions, texting away with her thumbs as she put on the brakes and slammed into the other car. I had gotten away from her just a mile before, and saw her coming up fast in my side view mirror. Trust me, with 1 million + miles driving (mostly in large trucks) and never having had a major accident, you better believe, I pay attention to EVERYTHING.

When I checked on the other driver, her airbag had clearly deployed, and the cloud of white propellant dust was wafting around in her interior. The other car didn't deploy, as is common when rear-ended.
Old 10-17-16, 05:39 PM
howsteepisit

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
A stiff jail sentence for a convicted distracted driver is hardly 'over-criminalization of every lapse of judgement'. Seriously... you won't think that if someone you know or love is harmed by a distracted driver.
Try reading the comment I replied to, that stated that distracted driving is attempted murder. That is over-criminalization.
Old 10-20-16, 11:42 AM
Feldman

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Burning a grilled-cheese sandwich is a "lapse of judgement." Texting, phoning, and DUI are deliberate intentional acts that show disregard for the lives of others on the road. "Lapse of judgment" my schlong!
Old 10-20-16, 11:47 AM
howsteepisit

Disregard is not the same as attempted murder. That is in my opinion over-criminalization. As I said, I am glad lawmakers do not agree with you.
Old 10-20-16, 11:56 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Texting while driving is not really that much different than driving drunk. Both are a lapse in judgement. Both need to be taken seriously.
Old 10-21-16, 11:38 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
What got under YOUR bonnet? She was clearly holding her phone with 2 hands at the 11 an 1 positions, texting away with her thumbs as she put on the brakes and slammed into the other car. I had gotten away from her just a mile before, and saw her coming up fast in my side view mirror. Trust me, with 1 million + miles driving (mostly in large trucks) and never having had a major accident, you better believe, I pay attention to EVERYTHING.

When I checked on the other driver, her airbag had clearly deployed, and the cloud of white propellant dust was wafting around in her interior. The other car didn't deploy, as is common when rear-ended.
He likes to refute everything... even that texting causes distractions that can lead to collisions with cyclists. He typically wants statistical proof for any bold statement made... whether that data has been or could be collected at all.

For instance, it turns out that perhaps as many as 84 percent of crashes that occur are never reported. That alone would skew collision data. FARS reports only deaths, not collisions... the latter can maim as well as kill.

Police-reported crashes reached 6.3 million last year, according to U.S. figures, about half the number reported to insurers. One federal study estimated 13.6 million total crashes in a year; Virginia Tech used an upper estimate of 29 million.
Honestly, between the fact that well over half the collisions are never reported, and that to tie a cell phone to a collision requires a court order... it should be no surprise that the only reliable data we have on cell phone related crashes are the scores and scores of tests and simulated crashes done at various universities and other institutions... Beyond those experiments, the data is just not reliably collected.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...53f_story.html
Old 10-21-16, 09:29 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Define 'every lapse of judgment' in your book.
Old 10-21-16, 09:41 PM
howsteepisit

Originally Posted by Chris0516
Define 'every lapse of judgment' in your book.
Calling texting while driving attempted murder for starters.
Old 10-21-16, 10:25 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Calling texting while driving attempted murder for starters.
What about using a cell phone handheld device, or not? What about drinking a cup of coffee? What about adjusting the dials/buttons on the car radio/playing with the tape deck? All of those actions are criminalized to an extent.
Old 10-21-16, 10:52 PM
howsteepisit

Originally Posted by Chris0516
What about using a cell phone handheld device, or not? What about drinking a cup of coffee? What about adjusting the dials/buttons on the car radio/playing with the tape deck? All of those actions are criminalized to an extent.
And the poster I quoted in this discussion called distracted driving and DUI attempted murder, and that is overcriminalization.