Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Listening to Music via Headphones?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Listening to Music via Headphones?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-20, 05:47 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

I also decided to post that dumb question since it highlights what has been said time and again- you don't need to hear what is coming from behind since you shouldn't need to change your behavior.

if you are riding properly as it is, then continue riding properly and let traffic pass you. You can know about it or not know about it- either way, you ride consistently and traffic passes.

You don't need your ears at 100% to do this.

I honestly couldn't care about this topic in general, its the absurd continued claims that I need to hear what's coming from behind to stay safe that has kept me coming back to the thread.

I do nothing different when a car passes me than when no car passes me. Literally nothing different.

That lemond poster apparently looks back at each car as its about to pass. To me, that sounds like the dumbest and least safe thing to do in that moment.

You apparently need to hear when soccer moms with small dogs are approaching because, reasons.

I use both of my ears and also a mirror to keep track of what's happening behind me, there is nothing wrong with what I am doing.. There is also nothing wrong in glancing back over your shoulder to keep track of what's happening behind you, I do that all the time if riding a bike without a mirror...You call it paranoia, I call it situational awareness.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-14-20, 05:54 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I use both of my ears and also a mirror to keep track of what's happening behind me, there is nothing wrong with what I am doing.. There is also nothing wrong in glancing back over your shoulder to keep track of what's happening behind you, I do that all the time if riding a bike without a mirror...You call it paranoia, I call it situational awareness.
All that sounds quite great.
I look back at times too, mostly when riding gravel since I take lines that aren't just on the right side of the road. Also when pulling up to stop lights, I look back to see where I should position myself in the right lane.
Old 05-14-20, 05:58 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Those who wear earbuds whilst riding will continue to do so since they see/hear no danger in doing so. Nothing will convince them not to.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 05-14-20, 06:48 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I did a 5-minute experiment today, during the last two miles of my ride. There's a stretch of two-lane that crosses the Santa Ana River basin, and about half of it is shoulderless. I've ridden it a thousand times-- probably more. The posted speed limit is 50mph, and unless the school traffic is heavy (and there's no school traffic at all right now,) cars are doing 50-60mph. So I popped the earbuds out, and listened for approaching cars.

I average ~22mph through that section pretty consistently, so the closing speed of cars is 30-35mph, which is ~50 feet/sec. The Varia would give me the beeps when it would pick up a vehicle, and then I would really listen-- even to the point of turning my head slightly to the left so as to "aim" my ear toward the oncoming cars. When I could discern the sound of engine or tires, I would turn and look at how far back the car actually was. It was always 2-3 carlengths, or 50-60ft. So... roughly 1 second. Mind you, the greater the difference between relative speeds, the less time there is to "do anything." I'm frankly not to worried about approaching vehicles doing less than 2x my speed. F = m * a, after all.

All the posters in this thread who have that super hearing, they must be able to pick those cars up way, way, waaaaaay earlier. Or they're just going waaaaaay slower than I am. Because I can't do much with that one second. If that car is gonna hit me, it's gonna hit me-- whether I hear it or not.

Oh, and LSOTR?
Old 05-14-20, 07:01 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
The posted speed limit is 50mph, and unless the school traffic is heavy (and there's no school traffic at all right now,) cars are doing 50-60mph.
Nothing is gonna save you with cars going that fast. I hope there's a WIDE shoulder or else you have a death wish.

I avoid roads like that and try to minimize multi lean roads.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-14-20, 07:04 PM
lykbutta

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
I am a n00b cycler and had my powerbeat pros on. I just couldn’t wear them on the path anymore. Too much going on. I researched and bought a JBL CLIP 3. love it. I can get my music and be alert to the road.
Old 05-14-20, 09:12 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
I did a 5-minute experiment today, during the last two miles of my ride. There's a stretch of two-lane that crosses the Santa Ana River basin, and about half of it is shoulderless. I've ridden it a thousand times-- probably more. The posted speed limit is 50mph, and unless the school traffic is heavy (and there's no school traffic at all right now,) cars are doing 50-60mph. So I popped the earbuds out, and listened for approaching cars.

I average ~22mph through that section pretty consistently, so the closing speed of cars is 30-35mph, which is ~50 feet/sec. The Varia would give me the beeps when it would pick up a vehicle, and then I would really listen-- even to the point of turning my head slightly to the left so as to "aim" my ear toward the oncoming cars. When I could discern the sound of engine or tires, I would turn and look at how far back the car actually was. It was always 2-3 carlengths, or 50-60ft. So... roughly 1 second. Mind you, the greater the difference between relative speeds, the less time there is to "do anything." I'm frankly not to worried about approaching vehicles doing less than 2x my speed. F = m * a, after all.

All the posters in this thread who have that super hearing, they must be able to pick those cars up way, way, waaaaaay earlier. Or they're just going waaaaaay slower than I am. Because I can't do much with that one second. If that car is gonna hit me, it's gonna hit me-- whether I hear it or not.

Oh, and LSOTR? Solar System - Sub Focus
If you really only hear cars from 2-3 car lengths away then you have seriously blown out your ears already.

If a car comes up at 60 mph in the bike lane/shoulder it will probably hit you, but your ears will save you from the hundreds and hundreds of times where some idiot is hooking a right and trying to go right through you.

Since you seem to go on back country roads that probably doesn't apply as much but that is going to be more dangerous overall even than the million cars on the road here.
Old 05-14-20, 09:21 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

I think it's more likely that the faster I go, the less able I am to hear anything. Wind noise is generally measured as 85DbA @ 15mph, but wind noise doubles with a 50% increase in speed, so I'm dealing with ~88DbA @ 22mph.

Cars and trucks are in the 75-85DbA range, so they're simply quieter than the wind. I can't hear the cars because I can only hear the wind. Which is exactly what I've been saying the entire time.
Old 05-15-20, 03:35 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Those who wear earbuds whilst riding will continue to do so since they see/hear no danger in doing so. Nothing will convince them not to.

Cheers
The same can be said for those who choose not to listen to music while riding...Nothing and nobody will convince me to start listening to music while riding or exercising.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-15-20, 05:06 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Another benefit of the over the shoulder check is that it lets the motorist know you know they are there. If I am approaching a blind bend and want to discourage a pass, a glance over my shoulder and hold a finger up as if to say "just a second." When all is clear, I wave them around, slide over and give a friendly wave as they pass. It seems to facilitate a more pleasant interaction.

I have cycling safety discussions all over social media and in person as well. A common complaint is that cyclists don't even know or care that motorists are behind them. "Had ear buds in, didn't even know I was there." I recognize that may not be the truth, but when you compare that motorist's experience and the motorist's experience when they deal with someone who does what I do, which motorist leaves that encounter with a more favorable view of the cyclist? People with more favorable views of cyclists will be more likely to have safe and pleasant interactions with them in the future.
Old 05-15-20, 05:53 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,035 Times in 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
If you really only hear cars from 2-3 car lengths away then you have seriously blown out your ears already.

If a car comes up at 60 mph in the bike lane/shoulder it will probably hit you, but your ears will save you from the hundreds and hundreds of times where some idiot is hooking a right and trying to go right through you.

Since you seem to go on back country roads that probably doesn't apply as much but that is going to be more dangerous overall even than the million cars on the road here.
Hundreds and hundreds of times? I’ve *never* had someone try to turn right through me. Never. I’ve had a couple who passed closer than I would have done and then turn right, but nothing so close that I had to brake even brake. Perhaps this is due to riding with a blinking rear light.

For me, riding without a blinking rear light is far, far more dangerous than biking while wearing ear buds.

Last edited by MattTheHat; 05-15-20 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-15-20, 05:59 AM
MattTheHat 

The same can be said for those who choose not to listen to music while riding...Nothing and nobody will convince me to start listening to music while riding or exercising.
Nobody is trying to convince you to start listening to music while riding. Literally nobody in this thread is doing that!
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 05-15-20, 07:01 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
For me, riding with a blinking rear light is far, far more dangerous than biking while wearing ear buds.
wait, wait, wait ... what??

with a rear light is dangerous? did you mean "without"?
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 05-15-20, 07:10 AM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
wait, wait, wait ... what??

with a rear light is dangerous? did you mean "without"?
Yep, I meant without a rear light. I’ll go edit.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 05-15-20, 07:27 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Hundreds and hundreds of times? I’ve *never* had someone try to right through me. Never. I’ve had a couple who passed closer than I would have done and then turn right, but nothing so close that I had to brake even brake. Perhaps this is due to riding with a blinking rear light.

For me, riding without a blinking rear light is far, far more dangerous than biking while wearing ear buds.
You are missing close calls because you have your head phones blaring, you are living with a false sense of scurity. You are alive mainly because you live in the middle of nowhere, you would already have been hit or nearly hit many times if you lived in a more busy area. You will probably change your tune at that point lol

Last edited by Oneder; 05-15-20 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-15-20, 07:46 AM
Oneder
Banned.

I think it's more likely that the faster I go, the less able I am to hear anything. Wind noise is generally measured as 85DbA @ 15mph, but wind noise doubles with a 50% increase in speed, so I'm dealing with ~88DbA @ 22mph.

Cars and trucks are in the 75-85DbA range, so they're simply quieter than the wind. I can't hear the cars because I can only hear the wind. Which is exactly what I've been saying the entire time.
When there are no pedestrians or bikes around I go 40-50 on the way home from my rides because it's all downhill and have no trouble hearing.
Old 05-15-20, 07:54 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

When there are no pedestrians or bikes around I go 40-50 on the way home from my rides because it's all downhill and have no trouble hearing.
The entirely of that post is what we in the industry call "nonsense," unless you're using kilometers as a unit of measurement. Having descended at 50mph, you cannot hear anything-- it's like having a hair dryer pointed into each ear.

Further, there's absolutely zero worry about approaching vehicles at 50mph, you just ride smack dab in the middle of the lane, as you're going as fast as the cars.

I feel like I'm really missing out by not having these super ears that defy all physical law.
Old 05-15-20, 08:09 AM
Oneder
Banned.

There's a simple explanation that your ears are already shot. Many people's are. One more reason to be careful listening to loud music. Cars make noise in many ranges anyway because there are vibrations, engine noises, wind against fenders and so on.
Old 05-15-20, 08:17 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
FWIW, I ride in the canyons and mountains a lot. I am able to hear approaching vehicles coming for roughly up to 10 seconds. There is plenty of time to make adjustments when ascending. Descending is another matter. Cars/motorcycles will be on my ass fast with maybe a second warning. Wind noise is a factor as well as my focus being on the road ahead for hazards.

Besides noise, my concern is target fixation where the speeding motorcyclist steers into me from behind. That would be a bad day. Fast fwd to 2:40 in the linked video to see an example of target fixation:
Old 05-15-20, 08:17 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

There's a simple explanation that your ears are already shot. Many people's are. One more reason to be careful listening to loud music. Cars make noise in many ranges anyway because there are vibrations, engine noises, wind against fenders and so on.
Firstly, that's not how sound works. If there is a 90DbA sound at point blank range (that is, wind into your ear holes) you cannot hear a 90DbA sound being generated at a distance. The strongest pressure wave wins.

Second, if my hearing is already "shot," what difference does it make that I wear headphones? Can't hear the cars anyway. Still manage to put in 10,000 miles a year... and I live on still.
Old 05-15-20, 08:20 AM
MattTheHat 

You are missing close calls because you have your head phones blaring, you are living with a false sense of scurity. You are alive mainly because you live in the middle of nowhere, you would already have been hit or nearly hit many times if you lived in a more busy area. You will probably change your tune at that point lol
Your arguments are getting weirder and weirder. Firstly, I don't blare music. Never said I did. How would I miss a close call because I'm listening to music, even if it were blaring. I'd see the car pass right beside me, right?

The Dallas, Fort Worth Metroplex is not in the middle on nowhere, I can assure you. It ain't New York city, I'll grant you that. But I've been passed by at least 25,000 cars in the past year alone, and that's a conservative estimate.

Last edited by MattTheHat; 05-15-20 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-15-20, 08:25 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
even if it were blaring. I'd see the car parr right beside me, right?
Depends how fast you and the car are going.You have a lot less time at 20mph than at 12mph.

Just saying.

BTW.. what type of music do you listen to?

Lately i've been streaming Grateful Dead concerts from Youtube. 3+ hours of great music and since the Dead recorded all of their concerts, there are hundreds from the mid 60s until now.
Old 05-15-20, 08:49 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Originally Posted by GlennR
Depends how fast you and the car are going.You have a lot less time at 20mph than at 12mph.

Just saying.

Lately i've been streaming Grateful Dead concerts from Youtube. 3+ hours of great music and since the Dead recorded all of their concerts, there are hundreds from the mid 60s until now.
He doesn't get it, he is hopeless. No one is expecting to avoid a car barreling in on them at 70mph, however you can avoid be run over by cars turning off the highway onto the shoulder or cars right hooking you at an intersection or driveay. There is zero chance these things have never happened to the guy, he was just totally oblivious to the impending death he was lucky to avoid.
Old 05-15-20, 09:11 AM
MattTheHat 

He doesn't get it, he is hopeless. No one is expecting to avoid a car barreling in on them at 70mph, however you can avoid be run over by cars turning off the highway onto the shoulder or cars right hooking you at an intersection or driveay. There is zero chance these things have never happened to the guy, he was just totally oblivious to the impending death he was lucky to avoid.
I don't ride my bicycle on the highway. I can assure you I'm not oblivious and if death were impeding all those times, well, certainly I'd be...dead.

Once the car passes me, hearing has nothing to do with anything. I CAN SEE THE CAR! And I can try to react.

Here's a clue...cars don't want to hit you. They really, really don't. Many driver have kids who ride bikes, many drivers have friends who cycle and many drivers are cyclist themselves. Even if none of those things happen to be true for a given driver they still don't want to hit you! Even if they're a total psychopath, they still don't want to hit you because it will screw up their car, and there may be legal complications.

If you deal with so many cars cutting you off and pulling over on you, why do you continue to cycle on the road? That doesn't seem smart.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 05-15-20, 09:19 AM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by GlennR

Just saying.

A lot of different stuff. Let me think...from my ride this morning we had:

Conquests - White Stripes
Solid Gold-Plated Fool - Jo El Sonnier
Back in the USSR - Beatles
We Learned to Be Cool From You - Jimmy Buffett
Understanding - Bob Seger
After the Hurricane - BR-549
A Long December - Counting Crows
Young Lust - Pink Floyd
Now That the Magic Has Gone - Joe Cocker
Black Water - Watermelon Slim & The Workers
Miracles - Jefferson Starship
D'yer Mak'er - Led Zeppelin

I don't remember what played before those.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.