Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What do I need to get?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What do I need to get?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-13, 09:37 AM
tomridestrek

Bikes: 1983 Trek 500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do I need to get?

I just bought a 1984ish Trek 500. It has a 12 speed Sun Tour package and the stock 27" wheels. I use to ride something very similar and love this bike. I would like to upgrade to a smoother shifting system and some better wheels. I am afraid cost would kill me. What kind of options might I have? I understand bikes pretty well not quite sure the best avenue to go with this. I want to do some longer rides. I am not a small guy, 5-11, 220 or so.
Old 07-30-13, 10:14 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The cost of upgrading that bike to current index shifting will be far more than you imagine. First it has 126 mm rear dropout spacing so you will be limited to 7-speeds or will have to spread the frame to take a modern 130 mm spaced 8/9/10-speed rear wheel. Second, none of your current components will work with indexing and you will need new shifters, new front and rear derailleurs, cassette, chain, possibly a new crank and a new rear wheel.

Frankly, unless you are absolutely in love with that bike you would be far ahead to put the upgrade money to a new or at least much newer bike and ride the Trek as it is.

Edit: In the interest of full disclosure, I will admit that I once did update and upgrade an 1983 Trek 400 to 8-speed index shifting and more modern brakes, 700c wheels, etc. However, I had almost all of the needed parts in my collection as retired items from other bikes and did all of the work myself. My actual out-of-pocket cost was very low. I would not have considered that project if I had to source new components.

Last edited by HillRider; 07-30-13 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-30-13, 11:28 AM
tomridestrek

Bikes: 1983 Trek 500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! I love it! One owner, looks almost brand new. What about changing to thumb shifters? I really don't need anything to fancy. Racing days are long gone. 56 years old and just want to ride around town. Of course the occasional need for speed too..... The wheels really don't seem too bad. Heard they were garbage. I wouldn't mind staying with the 6 speed cassette. Thanks so much HillRider.
Old 07-30-13, 11:42 AM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
I have a mid 80s Falcon of England that was running an old Sach Huret drive train. Bought a used 105 groupset and some used Mavic Open wheels with Ultegra hubs from another forum member and rebuilt the bike with that. Wheel fit into the frame pretty easily acutally, but your results may vary. You might try to borrow a modern wheel off of another bike to see how hard it would be to fit. Also, going from 27 to 700c, you might need long reach brakes
Old 07-30-13, 12:16 PM
sreten
Banned.

Bikes: 20" Folder, Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi,

If it ain't bust dont fix it. A new chain and possibly a new hyperglide
6 speed rear freewheel. I don't know enough about bike history to
say what indexed downtube shifter you could try, and whether or
not it would work with the rear derailleur, but the right old parts
to upgrade it should not be expensive.

Cannot see any changes for the front shifting being useful.

Don't change the wheels. Check and tweak spoke tensions.

Nice tyres if needed. Good brake pads on the front if needed.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited by sreten; 07-30-13 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-30-13, 12:55 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Bring the bike in for a complete service .. at your LBS
the stuff you have may work better if cleaned and lubricated, and back in adjustment ..

You let it go too long..

1984ish Trek 500, rather than pour money into a pile of new components, Id look for a New Bike.

Want smooth shifting? NuVinci CVR 360, its an internal gear system hub
that is continuously variable from the lowest to highest ratio.

inherently smooth, because you just turn the grip till the pedal effort feels right ..
Old 07-30-13, 01:44 PM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
tomridestrek, Make sure what you have now is safe and reliable, go out for a few 2-3 hour rides on differing terrain and assess what changes, if any are merited. If you're reentering the sport of cycling there will be plenty of items to spend money on for yourself (clothing) and your bike (pumps, tube replacement/repair items, etc.).

Most updating for your bike will effect more than just a single component and can become expensive quickly. Optimize what is already there, and there are still plenty of quality parts and tires available for it's current configuration.

Brad
Old 07-30-13, 01:54 PM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by tomridestrek
Thanks! I love it! One owner, looks almost brand new. What about changing to thumb shifters? I really don't need anything to fancy. Racing days are long gone. 56 years old and just want to ride around town. Of course the occasional need for speed too..... The wheels really don't seem too bad. Heard they were garbage. I wouldn't mind staying with the 6 speed cassette. Thanks so much HillRider.
Bar end shifters would be worth looking at for sure. You can also move downtube shifters to near the brake levers with Paul Thumbies, Kelly Take Offs, or a newer player on the market, RetroShift, which are brake levers that mount the shifters on.

But as others have said, repack all the bearings, get the bike adjusted so that it shifts and stops correctly, get it fitted to your anatomy and ride it for a bit until it becomes apparent whehter you want to upgrade this bike, or save the money for a more modern steed.
Old 07-30-13, 03:05 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
It may look brand new but still a good idea to check the chain for wear.
Old 07-30-13, 03:52 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Assuming you have a 6-speed freewheel, not a cassette, a 7-speed freewheels will fit in the same hub width. As to shifters, 7-speed indexed downtube and barend shifters are still around if you look on e-bay, etc. and are a lot less expensive than brifters. Also, both types have friction front shifting so your curred crank and fd can be retained. You will need an index compatible rear derailleure.
Old 07-31-13, 10:09 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I just bought a 1984ish Trek 500. It has a 12 speed Sun Tour package and the stock 27" wheels. I use to ride something very similar and love this bike. I would like to upgrade to a smoother shifting system and some better wheels. I am afraid cost would kill me. What kind of options might I have? I understand bikes pretty well not quite sure the best avenue to go with this. I want to do some longer rides. I am not a small guy, 5-11, 220 or so.
With what you describe, yes, you will be way upside down cost wise.

That being said, I have upgraded the entire family fleet to modern drivetrain, starting with 1980s steel frame bikes. But I am on the resourceful side, do all the work myself, and find deals on donor bikes to provide all of the parts.

1984 Trek 500 came with a helicomatic rear hub. If your bike is a 1984, and the rear wheel is original, seven speeds is a non-starter (unless you change the rear wheel).

Last edited by wrk101; 07-31-13 at 10:14 PM.