Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can you give me your opinion on night time cramps?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Can you give me your opinion on night time cramps?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-22, 07:14 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by burritos
Daily? I'm not a big fan of supplements. Wondering if once a week might be sufficient.
Daily is not necessary unless your dietary levels are inadequate.
But you'll likely have to become a fan... if you want to end the night cramps.
I have heard that pickle juice works for some... I wouldn't mind, except it isn't all that tasty just before bedtime...
so I do the key 3 (and this has works for me for decades...)
I'll do the supplement on days when the ride has been hard, lengthy or producing significant perspiration - usually rides over 2.5 hrs+, long hammerfests, big climbing days
and any activity (hiking, backpacking, XC skiing) when the effort is long or high.
My evening supplement, hour or 2 before bed - works for me 150 lbs, 5'9", relatively low butter-fat ... LOL!

Magnesium is the key - I use 250mg
Potassium Gluconate (not the most active, but also least likely to cause side issues) - 100mg
Calcium in Calcium Lactate - 84mg elemental calcium
Calcium Lactate is also a primary ingredient in the very good supplement called 'Sports Legs'. Used to 'prime' the muscles for hard efforts from the outset of activity - when 'warmup' is limited.
Great as a supplement for Crit racing! Lactate is a primary energy source for muscles, and this supplement helps preload the system which muscles can use before the body's level of lactate can build to needed levels... Great even if you're a 'slow twitch' guy/girl.
As for when to supplement...
If you're paying attention, the night cramps come as a result of a day's effort. When you get close to the effort/environment that you know will give night cramps - do the supplements before bed... Otherwise, a good balanced diet will take care of in-between....
Zinc is also noted for cramps, especially regular period cramps. I don;t do it separate. I get enough zinc in my daily supplement (which also includes the needed B6 for the body's acquisition of the zinc - otherwise won;t be used...)
I will be supplementing Mg, Ca, K tonight...
Every day is a learning experience about myself...
Ride On
Yuri
EDIT: also, if you guess wrong and get cramps (not having taken the supplements) - have them handy and take them (with a sloid glass of water) when the cramps happened.
hopefully the cramps will end, but figure about 15 mins after taking the supplements, they will start taking effect and you'll have a peaceful rest of night...

Last edited by cyclezen; 02-10-22 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-10-22, 08:13 PM
Aroyobob

Bikes: Trek 460, Trek 1420, Schwin High Sierra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
It does. It contains tumeric, which helps for reasons I don't know about.
Tumeric is an anti-inflammatory.
Likes For Aroyobob:
Old 02-10-22, 08:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
pickle juice!
I was in a Vietnamese restaurant and they had a shot with a homemade pickleback and that stuff was really really really good, told the bartender forget the shots can I just get more of the pickle juice. It was that good I would have drank a liter of that stuff. The whiskey was probably Jack or something not exciting and not worth the time but that pickle juice was seriously good I wish I had it on all my rides it would be such a pick me up (or should I say pickle me up...yuck yuck yuck)
Old 02-10-22, 08:40 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Go with your instincts on this. Daily supplementation is pointless, it isn't electrolytes or you'd have a whole buttload of much worse symptoms.

I get those kind of cramps when I'm ramping up m activity level, and then they magically go away when I've been operating at that level for a few weeks. I get them most in the spring, when I'm shifting from indoor cardio to cycling, then I almost never get them any other time of the year.

Only thing that works for me is standing up and walking around. It's weird because it feels like the last thing I'd want to do while cramping, but it works like a charm in a matter of seconds. If I don't get up, they don't want to quit..
Same. They go away when you reach a better level of fitness. In the spring I can get them after 60 miles. In August, I won't get them even after a hard century.

I don't think that the "electrolyte" "supplement" stuff is a sufficient explanation. If it were a systemic electrolyte depletion, you'd be getting cramps in muscles all around your body. We get them in the muscles that have experienced all that exertion.

It's having the legs motionless that brings these cramps on. Go for a long easy walk after your ride. Don't sit on the couch too long.
Old 02-10-22, 10:36 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
I frequently got cramping at night after long rides, especially on hot days. It also happens if I am working hard on the trainer for an hour or two. For me it comes down to keeping properly hydrated. When I force myself to drink - I have a count down drink reminder on my computer it generally works pretty well. Drink before you become thirsty is the general rule. If I slack and don’t drink enough or if I push myself too hard, I may cramp before bed. In that case, I will take a couple of big slugs of dill pickle juice and pop a magnesium tablet and never have an issue.

Pickle juice is so widely used for cramps that Amazon carries tons of the stuff https://www.amazon.com/s?k=pickle+ju..._ts-doa-p_3_11

Last edited by rsbob; 02-10-22 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-11-22, 04:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Same. They go away when you reach a better level of fitness. In the spring I can get them after 60 miles. In August, I won't get them even after a hard century.

I don't think that the "electrolyte" "supplement" stuff is a sufficient explanation. If it were a systemic electrolyte depletion, you'd be getting cramps in muscles all around your body. We get them in the muscles that have experienced all that exertion.

It's having the legs motionless that brings these cramps on. Go for a long easy walk after your ride. Don't sit on the couch too long.
I don't get why people are so willing to pop supplements when there's no evidence they do anything good, and the chances of side effects and harm from overdosing are so high. And that's assuming its label is actually accurate.

​​​​​​
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-11-22, 05:18 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Opinion?

Insufficient training for the ride.

I had cramps once. Third day of consecutive double centuries and day 2 had killer hills. I cramped on day 3. Had to be inadequate training. I take lots and lots of supplements, so, that could also be a factor for me never cramping except that one time. YMMV
Old 02-11-22, 07:36 AM
noimagination

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
IME, I get cramps when my muscles are tired, for example in the Spring if I've not cycled much during the winter. What I've used successfully is stretching and self massage, like with a massage stick. I do this after I get off the bike, and sometimes again shortly before going to bed. Sometimes I also massage my thighs with that Theraworks product. I'm not sure if it's the stuff in Theraworks, or if it's just the extra massage (and I'd do just as well with oil or anything else), but that also seems to help. (I bought the bottle, I might as well use it up, when it's gone I'll probably switch to oil and only go back to Therawroks if I find that massage with oil isn't as effective.)

Once I get used to cycling more, I need massage less and less to prevent cramps, but I go back to it if I have an unusually long or hard ride.
Old 02-11-22, 07:42 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I don't get why people are so willing to pop supplements when there's no evidence they do anything good

​​​​​​
It's because those people have been brainwashed into believing that it's impossible to live without taking supplements and they are confused as to what the human body really needs. Our whole nutrition and fitness industry is one big mess of confusion and misinformation.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 02-11-22, 07:48 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by wolfchild
It's because those people have been brainwashed into believing that it's impossible to live without taking supplements and they are confused as to what the human body really needs. Our whole nutrition and fitness industry is one big mess of confusion and misinformation.
Exactly.

Carbs kill.

Eat fat.

See the PURE study.
Old 02-11-22, 07:56 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Just for the record, has anyone here completed courses in anatomy and physiology?
The info is readily available to find the link between action potentials, magnesium, contraction and muscle spasms.
It is not difficult.

Yes, you can get it through diet alone.
I take Magnesium citrate for middle insomnia as well.
A great benefit is I no longer have to deal with muscle spasms at night after heavy exertion.

I am not saying there is no benefit from stretching and massage. It helps me too.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 02-11-22, 08:13 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
wanna feel good after a strong ride? after reading about it I started doing this - warm/hot soak in an epsom bath. 20 minute minimum. longer if you have the time. don't know if I've ever gone an hour, but certainly 30 min maybe even 45. I know I've had to add more hot water. be generous w/ the epsom salt (buy it separately) & add a good foaming bath soap like Dr Teal's Eucalyptus and Spearmint Foaming Bath. 1/2 glass of red wine doesn't hurt either. magnesium is a natural muscle relaxer. hot soaks aren't just for children or old men. athletes do it too. while you are soaking, massage the large muscles of your legs, calves too
Old 02-11-22, 08:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Just for the record, has anyone here completed courses in anatomy and physiology?
The info is readily available to find the link between action potentials, magnesium, contraction and muscle spasms.
It is not difficult.

Yes, you can get it through diet alone.
I take Magnesium citrate for middle insomnia as well.
A great benefit is I no longer have to deal with muscle spasms at night after heavy exertion.

I am not saying there is no benefit from stretching and massage. It helps me too.
You're currently the poster child for a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Lots of things could be the cause of muscle spasms, but there's no known connection between exercise-related cramping and magnesium deficiency. Those attempts to find a connection have resulted in negative findings.

And yes, I have completed courses in biology and anatomy and physiology. Is that supposed to be some sort of scary credential?

Your intuitive hypothesis has been tested considerably, it doesn't seem to hold any water. There's little or no difference between supplementation and placebo. And magnesium gives some people diarrhea..

Here--knock yourself out: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32956536/
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2603490

Electrolyte-rich foods tend to be otherwise healthy, so no harm in that.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-11-22, 09:17 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Again, even if dehydration or electrolyte imbalance is a partial cause, that is something that should affect all muscles in the body. You don't have dehydration or electrolyte imbalances localized to particular muscles. The fact that the cramps occur in muscles that have been over-exerted is important. Stretching *those* muscles and keeping them from tightening up during immobilization is going to be key.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 02-11-22, 09:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by MinnMan
Again, even if dehydration or electrolyte imbalance is a partial cause, that is something that should affect all muscles in the body. You don't have dehydration or electrolyte imbalances localized to particular muscles. The fact that the cramps occur in muscles that have been over-exerted is important. Stretching *those* muscles and keeping them from tightening up during immobilization is going to be key.
There's a certain randomness to when a tired muscle is going to cramp, and I don't think anyone has really discovered the key. I push back on that just a little bit because I was always told growing up that I needed to stretch (which is very uncomfortable to me) or I'd cramp up. I would occasionally get cramps when I routinely stretched and I would occasionally get cramps when I did not, it really made no difference. I've stopped stretching because I find it gives me no benefit generally, and I always found it uncomfortable no matter how much I did.

Whole other thread, but my position on stretching is if it makes you feel better, do it. If it doesn't, don't.

My post-workout routine is a hot shower, seems to loosen up the muscles nicely.

As far as your first point--that a generalized electrolyte deficiency shouldn't cause localized cramping in just one overworked muscle seems so obvious to me, but people who insist it's one electrolyte or the other never seem to try to take that on.
Old 02-11-22, 09:54 AM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
I think hydration and stretching. My cramps are a bit different if it is just hot weather or increased mileage and effort, but hydration and stretching seems to help either way.
Old 02-11-22, 09:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by making
I think hydration and stretching. My cramps are a bit different if it is just hot weather or increased mileage and effort, but hydration and stretching seems to help either way.

Nobody really knows what triggers cramps or causes post-workout muscle pain, so seems to help is probably as good as it gets.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-11-22, 10:08 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Are you at the age where the doctors put you on meds for various old age things? If so, check the side effects of each. Even some meds for depression and some of the oddball drugs for ADHD have cramps as a side effect.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-11-22, 10:30 AM
GhostRider62

The cause is generally insufficient fitness. You're writing checks your legs can't cash. (Unless someone is a profuse and salty sweater and doing a very long ride)

......evidence suggests that they are placing greater demands on their muscles during the race relative to their current state of training.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4532703/

These days it’s become quite fashionable for commentators seeking to ‘disprove’ the dehydration/electrolyte theory of EAMC to play down this early work in industrial medicine around salt and cramping as dated, flimsy and insignificant. This is especially true for staunch supporters of the neuromuscular theory (detailed below). However, having read (and re-read) most of the work available from the era, I’m far from convinced that it deserves to be so easily dismissed
https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/h...ring-exercise/
Old 02-11-22, 10:31 AM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts
Did stretching last night while watching TV. Dad had eaten all the pickles, so no juice for me. No cramps last night. I haven't been doing extra long bike rides, just bike commuting which can be either 10-20 mi per day. Maybe 20+ mile mountain bike rides once a week. Again, this never happens when biking. Only in the middle of the night, The only time I've been able to trigger it is when I do my nordic curls.
Old 02-11-22, 10:33 AM
burritos

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
The cause is generally insufficient fitness. You're writing checks your legs can't cash. (Unless someone is a profuse and salty sweater and doing a very long ride)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4532703/

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/h...ring-exercise/
This doesn't explain why it happens 4-6 hours later after having eaten and while at rest.
Old 02-11-22, 10:34 AM
burritos

Originally Posted by Iride01
Are you at the age where the doctors put you on meds for various old age things? If so, check the side effects of each. Even some meds for depression and some of the oddball drugs for ADHD have cramps as a side effect.
Don't like meds. Don't take them.
Old 02-11-22, 10:38 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by burritos
This doesn't explain why it happens 4-6 hours later after having eaten and while at rest.
You read articles in 69 seconds.

I bet you could sit on a popsicle and tell me the flavor.
Old 02-11-22, 10:41 AM
GhostRider62

Try riding only in zone 1 and 2 for 6 weeks.

I bet your leg cramps will get better.
Old 02-11-22, 10:55 AM
Thrasher36

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
magnesium

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.