Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Knocking sound when sprinting/climbing out of saddle

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-19, 08:54 PM
rodey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I recently purchased a 2019 Orbea Orca Aero and love it. However, I have been wondering about a sound ever since getting it.

When I sprint hard/really rock the front end, and even rock a bit while climbing, there is a knocking-like sound seeming to come from the front of the frame. It's most noticeable when I'm out of the saddle and really giving it all during a sprint. To lesser extents at other times I'm out of the saddle.

I noticed this sound when testing the bike, and the LBS said it's probably just stiff cables.

This is also my first bike with internal cable routing, and I've been reading that it can potentially cause some noise.

Any ideas what this may be? Is it likely the cables knocking around internally or could it be something else? This is a brand new bike.
Old 09-03-19, 10:06 PM
Igotdibs
Senior Citizen

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR7 Disc, Lemond Poprad, 1980 Colnago Super, '88 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 576 Times in 162 Posts
Through axle? Try tightening it.
Old 09-03-19, 10:53 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Press fit bottom bracket? They tend to make noise. Mine goes “tuk-tuk” sometimes when I pedal hard out of the saddle. In time with the pedaling.
Old 09-04-19, 06:28 AM
Bike tinker man

Bikes: My 1978 Raleigh from new, 1995 Trek, & constant changing & rebuilding of other bike projects.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
QUOTE :sound seeming to come from the front of the frame.

Do you mean the steering head / fork area, or the crank ? being out the saddle pushing hard there of course is more load on the forks steering tube ?
Just trying to find out to be more help
Old 09-04-19, 06:32 AM
Bike tinker man

Bikes: My 1978 Raleigh from new, 1995 Trek, & constant changing & rebuilding of other bike projects.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
QUOTE - It's most noticeable when I'm out of the saddle and really giving it all during a sprint

Are you referring to the steering tube / fork area or the crank ? being out the saddle pushing hard there is of course more load on handlebars the fork tube area.
Old 09-04-19, 07:20 AM
rodey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Igotdibs
Through axle? Try tightening it.
I'll try seeing if the quick release needs more tightening. Probably a decent place to start.

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Press fit bottom bracket? They tend to make noise. Mine goes “tuk-tuk” sometimes when I pedal hard out of the saddle. In time with the pedaling.
Not sure, honestly.

Originally Posted by Bike tinker man
QUOTE :sound seeming to come from the front of the frame.

Do you mean the steering head / fork area, or the crank ? being out the saddle pushing hard there of course is more load on the forks steering tube ?
Just trying to find out to be more help
Steering head/fork area. Maybe down tube. I definitely don't think it's coming from the crank. It's for sure louder/more noticeable when I go all-out on a sprint and really get the front end moving side to side.
Old 09-05-19, 07:04 AM
Bike tinker man

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Funny, I wrote a post never loaded wrote again now two ?

So as we now know its the front rather than the 1st few replied which assumed the crank, as you say when front end moving side to side, the only thing I can suggest is the head set bearings, either loose, possibly worn, jumping balls etc, rather difficult to be installed wrong.

I would suggest take the front wheel out drop the forks, take bearing set out for examination. While you have everything out, scrutinize for any sign of cracks anywhere.

I don't know that bike so cannot be more specific
Old 09-05-19, 07:54 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by rodey
Steering head/fork area. Maybe down tube. I definitely don't think it's coming from the crank. It's for sure louder/more noticeable when I go all-out on a sprint and really get the front end moving side to side.
Headset spacers can make a noise if they are not perfectly machined. If you have a stack of spacers, consider replacing them with a sturdy single spacer equal to the total stack height.