Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Post your cycling Desk

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-23, 01:19 PM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
Post your cycling Desk

On another thread I mentioned my wife commandeered what I was using as a temporary Zwift desk. Her mother is starting to have mobility issues so I was good with it. I always had plans of building something elaborate but desperation made me whip this together yesterday and today. One more coat of finish and it’s good enough. My initial idea was something with adjustable height, however since I was just using scraps and this is max height, which is waist height so they were just 1/4 20 bolts on two holes. Op was some simple 3/4 oak cabinet plywood with DIY edge banding.

however as I gain time, may do something different. What’s everyone using?

Likes For Bogey Speedwell:
Old 12-17-23, 04:53 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
I’ve no idea what a “cycling desk” is. What is this for ?
Old 12-17-23, 05:15 PM
Bogey Speedwell

Originally Posted by Steve B.
I’ve no idea what a “cycling desk” is. What is this for ?
just to hold laptop or tablet for those that use apps like Zwift while cycling indoors for the winter.

perhaps it’s called something I’m not familiar with or another name i didn’t retain.
Old 12-17-23, 05:48 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by Bogey Speedwell
just to hold laptop or tablet for those that use apps like Zwift while cycling indoors for the winter.

perhaps it’s called something I’m not familiar with or another name i didn’t retain.

OK, makes sense now
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 12-17-23, 09:17 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
yes please, where do i put in my order?
Old 12-18-23, 06:13 AM
Bogey Speedwell

Originally Posted by spelger
yes please, where do i put in my order?
lol, far from a good woodworker, you’d probably do the Homer Simpson backing away into the hedges if you saw it in person lol
Likes For Bogey Speedwell:
Old 12-19-23, 12:25 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I have my stuff sitting on a half height rack unit. Except the monitor is on the floor. Really would be a good idea to do something better
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 12-19-23, 01:57 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
I use a Le Code Morse:

It has its benefits, downsides, and limitations, but works well enough. My chief complaint is that the slight movement and vibrations going into the handlebar from pedaling makes reading the smaller elements of the Zwift display hard to read. I don’t get involved much with the possibilities in Zwift so it’s not a deal breaker, but I can see how it could get really annoying if I were trying to interface with the app while riding.
Old 12-19-23, 07:57 PM
Bogey Speedwell

Originally Posted by chaadster
I use a Le Code Morse:

It has its benefits, downsides, and limitations, but works well enough. My chief complaint is that the slight movement and vibrations going into the handlebar from pedaling makes reading the smaller elements of the Zwift display hard to read. I don’t get involved much with the possibilities in Zwift so it’s not a deal breaker, but I can see how it could get really annoying if I were trying to interface with the app while riding.
that’s pretty cool, never seen that, but yeah I can see the vibration being an issue. I pay attention to the app to a point and do have a TV set up so I can use that as a monitor, however honestly I get more motivation with YouTube Bikepacking videos on the TV and the app running Zwift. Though about Apple TV, but I’m just too cheap to subscribe to another streaming service just to see it on another screen. I guess that’s what a HDMI cable or casting is for.
Old 12-20-23, 08:28 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
When I purchased my Wahoo Kickr Core trainer a few years ago, I was going to also buy Wahoo’s desk. At $300, though, it was extremely hard to justify based in what it was and the limited use it offered beyond sitting in front of my trainer.

Online postings I found led me to a well made knockoff of Wahoo’s version for less than 50% of what Wahoo charged. I bought one via Amazon and it has been perfect. Here’s the link to it….https://www.amazon.com/Products-Adju.../dp/B0BQLK2S3R
Likes For oldwinger14:
Old 12-22-23, 10:23 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I also purchased the knock off that is posted above. It is really good value. Lots of room for the keyboard, phone, water bottle, towel and iPad and remote control. It does a lot of real estate. For those who are looking for form and function have a look at Tons out of Denmark. Beautiful stuff.

Likes For blakcloud:
Old 12-26-23, 06:01 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
I don't think I have an image of my current table. It's a rather utilitarian high table with birdseye maple legs and a black walnut top. My first one was same design but red oak and donated to the LBS for use during spin class. Made a third that I gave to a fellow cyclist, after not being able to sell it. Most people don't want to buy fine furniture, even cyclists that will pay for red or ultegra... Ikea is the enemy of fine furniture, good enough is low level standard.
Old 12-26-23, 06:11 PM
Bogey Speedwell

Originally Posted by Black wallnut
I don't think I have an image of my current table. It's a rather utilitarian high table with birdseye maple legs and a black walnut top. My first one was same design but red oak and donated to the LBS for use during spin class. Made a third that I gave to a fellow cyclist, after not being able to sell it. Most people don't want to buy fine furniture, even cyclists that will pay for red or ultegra... Ikea is the enemy of fine furniture, good enough is low level standard.
for sure. All ready found a flaw in mine, the lower crossbar, keeps it a tad far from the bike. Will have to modify that. Also a bit low. That’s what I get for not measuring
Old 12-31-23, 12:56 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Here's mine, a table that my niece left at my house and decided she didn't want:

I can use the KB and mouse without any problem. I can also turn up/down the volume easily. I've even sat on the bike and used the computer for other things on occasion. I guess the pic doesn't show the mouse and KB since I added them a few days later when I found the Macbook's a PITA to use. The screen is cracked on the M1 MBair and is completely unusable, but it powers the monitor nicely. Zwift runs in full 4k UHD without glitching.
Old 12-31-23, 05:35 PM
ZmanKC

Bikes: 1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2015 Giant Anyroad 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm currently using a music stand.
Likes For ZmanKC:
Old 12-31-23, 09:45 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I mounted my monitor on the wall, finally. Have to figure out how to setup a keyboard and pointing device now. I don't really want a full-up desk, maybe I can figure out how to mount that stuff to the monitor mount. I did that on my milling machine, the monitor can be mounted with the stand still on it, and the keyboard sits just fine on the monitor stand. On the cycling computer, the stand attaches to the vesa mount, so I can't do both at the same time.
Old 01-16-24, 03:26 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by ZmanKC

I'm currently using a music stand.
Music stands are awesome, but some are a lot sturdier than others. In general the ones made and sold for use in high-school music programs are the sturdiest. I'm watching resale to get another one. My wife (a high school music teacher) bought one from an Amazon supplier, and it is an overly delicate P-S, reading between the letters! But on Amazonit sure looks the part!

Also the ones made for orchestra performance are usually bigger (might have to hold several long musical scores on big orchestral-sized paper!), which means you can put your book, a bike magazine, a pad, media controllers, and extra CDs or media on it. Even a bag of chips or something!

Sitting on the concert stage (during a choir/dress rehearsal) with the Detroit Symphony, the baritone voices were right behind the extensive squadron of trumpets. While waiting for their moments to shine, it was interesting to see them reading bike magazines, discussing, and seemingly planning the weekend's group ride!. All the paperwork was on their music stands!
Old 01-16-24, 11:42 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I used one of the cheap portable music stands to hold my tablet for a number of years. I side loaded trainer road on a fire tablet, so the amount of money I might lose was minimal. I don't think I would put an ipad pro on one.
Old 01-17-24, 11:07 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Here's my setup for Zwift. Bike is my "pandemic build" - Chinese carbon frame (ICAN, a good one!) with Ultegra 11 spd Di2, mounted on a Zwift hub on a home built rocker plate. Using an Apple TV interface, which I hate, but it gets the job done cheaply.
Old 01-26-24, 04:58 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Di2 on a trainer bike is fully elite level

I’ll try to get a picture of mine, made by my father in law out of some spare MDF and chipboard. Works a treat but after 3 years using it, I have a design in mind that would solve some minor niggles. Might even see if I can sell a few if it works!