Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Kuwahara Carrera UL?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-10, 04:13 PM
RebelWithout

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kuwahara Carrera UL?

Found a little bit of info for this bike on the web but didn't find much as far as value goes. It's a Red Kuwahara Carrera UL with Tange Infinity (CroMo double butted) tubing and I'm not sure on the components but I imagine they're similar to this guy's (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=76238): Dia-Compe brakes, Suntour LePree derailleurs, Sugino VT crank.

I don't have any pictures and don't think I can get any (Guy doesn't have a digi cam) but lets just assume it's in average shape for a bike this old. He's looking for $150 but I'm pretty sure he'll at least go down to $125. Is it worth taking a look at?

Edit: Just for the sake of trying to get an estimate this is one in pristine condition:

Last edited by RebelWithout; 09-10-10 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-10-10, 11:02 PM
RebelWithout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know you don't really see a lot of these around so experts might be few and far between but can anyone maybe give me a ballpark figure based on the type of frame/components? I've been waiting for a decent bike for a couple weeks now (Missed out on a Centurion for $60 /wrists and a decent Nishiki that never responded to me) so if this is a good deal I'd like to get it and start riding already =x...
Old 09-11-10, 11:16 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Without pictures of the real bike, you aren't going to get a lot of feedback. But not many framesets go for over $100. The ones that go high are something special brand wise or tubing wise. Tange Infinity is good, but not in the outstanding list.

Don't do a search of the web by brand or model, just focus on the tubing level. Most of the Japanese brands were pretty interchangeable.

I had a nice 1986 Nishiki Prestige, that came with Infinity tubing.

Last edited by wrk101; 09-11-10 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-11-10, 11:36 AM
RebelWithout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I know =/. Thanks though, that's pretty much what I did last night and found that a good amount of mid-level centurion and other Japanese bikes used the infinity so I think I'll go check it out. If it ends up being in good condition and fits me well I'll think about paying $100-ish, possibly a little more because the atlanta market for bikes is pretty inflated due to the hipster population. And because I really want to ride!