Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

So I made the jump to clipless

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-11, 08:29 PM
rivas7200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I decided to see what improvement I might find with riding clipless pedals. So I bought the cheaper Shimano PD-R540 and some beginner road shoes from Nashbar. I wondered how fast I would adapt to the cleat and clicking in and out. Well, I adapted pretty fast and the most noticeable improvement I feel is when I am climbing.
The only problem I have is that there is a little play in the cleat-to-pedal connection.
I need to get some pics of my Circuit and post them.
Old 04-29-11, 08:31 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
I think you'll like them, and definitely want to see the Circuit.
Old 04-29-11, 09:15 PM
buldogge

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What tension do you have the pedal adjusted to? Std. cleats are increased float??
Old 04-29-11, 09:29 PM
tmh657

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I think you'll like them, and definitely want to see the Circuit.
+2. Once you clip in you might not go back to whatever you had before.
Old 04-29-11, 11:02 PM
PDXaero
French threaded

Bikes: many

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Its a wonderful sickness.
My GF was weary of using clipless but once I forced her to convert (her race bike only) she admitted the power transfer is way better and while riding you actually think less about your pedals than you would with clips.
Old 04-29-11, 11:34 PM
JReade

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I thought it wound be much harder, but after the clips and straps, it wasn't that much different.
Old 04-29-11, 11:49 PM
rothenfield1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think your right about climbing being the most noticeable difference. I first started using them on MTB, and in that style riding, keeping your foot centered on the pedal over varied terrain is quit helpful. But, being able to use your full range of leg muscles on a steep climb is the best improvement over standard pedals. For road riding, I'm not so exacting to feel the efficiency loss of using caged pedals over clipless in the straights, but on the hills, there is a real difference IMO.
Old 04-30-11, 01:41 AM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Another good thing with clipless pedals is, if you choose your cycling shoes carefully, you will not have the hot pressure spots you might sometimes experience with clips and straps around your cycling shoes.

Chombi
Old 04-30-11, 08:49 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I've been avoiding it up to now. I have a very wide foot, picked up some clipless sandals to give them a try. I have a bin full of clipless pedals (takeoffs). I also have a box full of shoes. I need to give it a try.
Old 04-30-11, 09:00 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
I'm just finishing a build and am don't particularily like the pedals that came with the bike. I was inclined to go with strapless MTB clips like I always do on my urban commuters, but was in REI last night and they had some clearance shoes. I actually sat down and tried on a pair and priced dual side pedals. Didn't buy any but may have to rethink my choices on this.

Any body have any reservations about daily urban stop & go riding with clipless?
Old 04-30-11, 09:18 AM
buldogge

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do it everyday...NP.

FWIW, I use Specialized BG shoes. They are a casual road shoe, can't remember the exact model. A MTB shoe or Keen would be a little better as the cleat would be more recessed because of the lugged soles.

Originally Posted by dedhed
I'm just finishing a build and am don't particularily like the pedals that came with the bike. I was inclined to go with strapless MTB clips like I always do on my urban commuters, but was in REI last night and they had some clearance shoes. I actually sat down and tried on a pair and priced dual side pedals. Didn't buy any but may have to rethink my choices on this.

Any body have any reservations about daily urban stop & go riding with clipless?
Old 04-30-11, 02:50 PM
THEJAPINO
Noob

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Paramount

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Lake makes a bunch of shoes that look like regular tennis shoes and have recessed cleats. I use Shimano MTB shoes on my road bike. Clipless is super efficient, I don't think I'll ever go back
Old 04-30-11, 03:04 PM
shorthanded

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i don't think there's the remotest difference in efficiency between clipless and old style cleats save for not bending over to pull your straps tight. i've found i really like the shimano a520s a lot because of the enormo foot support over an old cage pedal though. and i like that i can find shoes that work. but i can't see any difference in efficiency being real.
Old 04-30-11, 03:12 PM
buldogge

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very few people run old style cleats and/or properly tensioned straps. Normal run around town toe cages/straps or flat pedals cannot match the ease and efficiency offered by SPD and recessed/walkable cleats/shoes.

My 2c.

Originally Posted by shorthanded
i don't think there's the remotest difference in efficiency between clipless and old style cleats save for not bending over to pull your straps tight. i've found i really like the shimano a520s a lot because of the enormo foot support over an old cage pedal though. and i like that i can find shoes that work. but i can't see any difference in efficiency being real.
Old 04-30-11, 03:31 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by buldogge
Very few people run old style cleats and/or properly tensioned straps. Normal run around town toe cages/straps or flat pedals cannot match the ease and efficiency offered by SPD and recessed/walkable cleats/shoes.

My 2c.
I'll ditto this. I think clippless pedals are the single biggest equipment improvement since I started biking in the 60's. When I restored my old racing Holdsworth I put the superleggera pedals on and rode with cleated shoes for a while. The lack of float was a killer on my knees. All of my family's bikes run either SPD or eggbeaters.