Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Newer Dual Pivot brakes on C&V frames

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Newer Dual Pivot brakes on C&V frames

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-11, 08:59 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
You can convert any Tektro brake to nutted by using the hardware from those $14 800s that Bike Tools Etc is selling. Somebody posted a link to a site selling those brakes for $17 a set not long ago.
I've done this, but there's no need anymore: https://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...ch-brakes.html

Also, with the DIY method, there's a set screw to help keep the bolt from rotating that mars the threads. When you remove the bolt from the caliper arms, it buggers the soft aluminum threads on them. My set works fine, but I wouldn't be able to disassemble and assemble them again.
Old 05-26-11, 09:01 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Puget Pounder
I'll have to back mazda on this one. Although I can set a pair of single pivots to stop on a dime just like a pair of dual pivots, it doesn't mean that SPs are inherently better. It means that they can do what DP's do too. To some people like noglider, DPs were an unecessary invention, but to say that SP brakes are better is just wrong. Too many times in this forum people equate "good enough for me" to "better than."

For me, I feel a difference and prefer DPs.
I think the issue is simply that modern dual pivot systems require less applied force to achieve similar stopping power. My girlie-man hands prefer them too.
Old 05-26-11, 09:12 PM
Puget Pounder
Wookie Jesus inspires me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JunkYardBike
I think the issue is simply that modern dual pivot systems require less applied force to achieve similar stopping power. My girlie-man hands prefer them too.
You just gave the SP-ers a reason to make fun of us.
Old 05-26-11, 10:07 PM
mazdaspeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JunkYardBike
This is true but also misses the point that with the same applied force to the lever the stopping power is always greater. It's not like you can pull on levers harder just because they have single pivot brakes attached to them.
Old 05-26-11, 10:08 PM
mazdaspeed

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
You just gave the SP-ers a reason to make fun of us.
lol... if they want to ream on their brakes every time they want to slow down that's fine.
Old 05-26-11, 11:20 PM
Puget Pounder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mazdaspeed
lol... if they want to ream on their brakes every time they want to slow down that's fine.
1 thing I don't ream.
Old 05-27-11, 12:12 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
So, how'd this turn into a debate when clearly it was asked about setting up DP's without drilling and if anyone can show pics?
Old 05-27-11, 04:23 AM
shorthanded

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll have to back mazda on this one. Although I can set a pair of single pivots to stop on a dime just like a pair of dual pivots, it doesn't mean that SPs are inherently better. It means that they can do what DP's do too. To some people like noglider, DPs were an unecessary invention, but to say that SP brakes are better is just wrong. Too many times in this forum people equate "good enough for me" to "better than."

For me, I feel a difference and prefer DPs.
this man is smart, and posits a good argument, but ultimately-- if something can 'do the same thing as DP's'-- i'm lost as to how it is 'better'. that's the entire basis of 'it's an unnecessary invention'. i didn't infer it was a BAD invention, or that they don't work (although i've used several pairs thar really didn't..)-- just that they FEEL crappy. i got no beef with technology that works fine. i just think DPs often feel like crap.

ultimately, who cares if DPs are 'better' if they feel crappy and make a bike feel cheap? I ride what I like, as do you. i'm clearly not dead from careening into traffic, nor are you. my argument is based on feel, and again-- most DPs, save for the shimanos as noted, feel squarshy to me. that's not curmudgeonish (a'la MS)-- that's a clear preference for one type of lever action.
Old 05-27-11, 04:50 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
the other day a cute jack russell decided to cross a bike path with me on it, going at full clip in the drops. I stopped a hair's breadth away of the poor dog, I think I wouldn't have been so lucky on my sidepulls, but the excellent Campy dual pivots made sure nobody was hurt.
Old 05-27-11, 07:13 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Wrong!

I'm not sorry for saying this. A Tektro dual pivot caliper with the OEM pads properly set up is functionally superior (by far) than any single pivot caliper of the same reach with any pads. If you're denying this you are lying to yourself and spreading falsities on the internet. Shame on you.

If, for whatever reason, you prefer single pivot brakes, that's A-OK. I use them and like them. But, dual pivot calipers are an improved design. That's not debatable.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 05-27-11 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-27-11, 09:16 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Here are the Tektro 800 calipers on my daughter's Sports:

Old 05-27-11, 10:05 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Excellent!!! Thank you John! Those still look quite classic on that bike. Great solution for female frames where the rear caliper has the barrel adjuster and binder reversed.
Old 05-27-11, 10:22 AM
Puget Pounder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shorthanded
this man is smart, and posits a good argument, but ultimately-- if something can 'do the same thing as DP's'-- i'm lost as to how it is 'better'. that's the entire basis of 'it's an unnecessary invention'. i didn't infer it was a BAD invention, or that they don't work (although i've used several pairs thar really didn't..)-- just that they FEEL crappy. i got no beef with technology that works fine. i just think DPs often feel like crap.

ultimately, who cares if DPs are 'better' if they feel crappy and make a bike feel cheap? I ride what I like, as do you. i'm clearly not dead from careening into traffic, nor are you. my argument is based on feel, and again-- most DPs, save for the shimanos as noted, feel squarshy to me. that's not curmudgeonish (a'la MS)-- that's a clear preference for one type of lever action.
They're better because of their design--how the torque arms are closer to their pivot point. That's where the improvement is. So they do the same thing, but with less effort. Also because of the added modulation and the ability to do an isolated adjustment of one arm. I don't judge anyone for riding single pivots because I do too. I'm just arguing that they are better on paper as well as to a majority of people who use them.

I apologize, I'm not trying to be rude. Your experience says that DPs are crappy and you actually said in an earlier post that DPs are actually weaker. I just have a tendency to debate.

Sorry to the OP if this argument hijacked the thread.
Old 05-27-11, 10:36 AM
atmdad
Oh Snap, not again...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
So, how'd this turn into a debate when clearly it was asked about setting up DP's without drilling and if anyone can show pics?
No shiite, it has convinced me that it is probably not a big deal to actually "drew" the front fork to get the recessed nut DP's to work.

For my 2 cents. The dia-compe G's that i'm replacing were dialed in to pretty much stop on a dime but there is a noticeable difference compared to the shimano 105 DP's on my CF bike. Plus I like the look better of the modern DP's, and the black finish on the ones I ordered is going to make my bike so sexxy it hurts.

Sorry to the OP if this argument hijacked the thread.
Not at all, I got my answer about halfway through the first page. It wasn't what I expected but i've been enjoying the fairly reasoned debate that has ensued since.

Last edited by atmdad; 05-27-11 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-27-11, 10:53 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Those brakes look like they were made for the Raleigh Sports.
Old 05-27-11, 01:59 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by atmdad
No shiite, it has convinced me that it is probably not a big deal to actually "drew" the front fork to get the recessed nut DP's to work.

For my 2 cents. The dia-compe G's that i'm replacing were dialed in to pretty much stop on a dime but there is a noticeable difference compared to the shimano 105 DP's on my CF bike. Plus I like the look better of the modern DP's, and the black finish on the ones I ordered is going to make my bike so sexxy it hurts.
It's not, really. But, I do wish I'd known there were nutted style before I drilled. I'm definitely not gonna drill the bridge, though. I'm going to flip the brakes from front to back as suggested. Sheldon's suggestion about the fitting a rear recessed on the front was/is interesting: Install the backing nut and washers up inside the steer tube. I may try that if I can't get my hands on a really long recessed nut. In which case, I figure I can still mount a fender behind the crown with another very short bolt and nut........thereby hiding my drilling job.....
Old 05-27-11, 02:08 PM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by atmdad
I've been thinking of getting some new brakes for my Miyata, and I like the modern dual pivot designs. Pretty much everything out there though has the recessed mounting bolts though. I am not going to drill out the rear bridge or fork in hopes of making this work. The only set i've seen with the traditional nut style mount is a set of Tektro's. Does anyone know of other makes that could work.
I have Tektro R559 purchased here: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/b...ers.html#55-73
on a mid '80s Schwinn World Tourist. Incredibly powerful, easy to modulate brakes. They are opposite hand to the original side pulls, which caused no issue on the front. On the rear, I mounted it in front of the seat stays, which made mounting the rack a lot easier. I am running 27" (ISO 630) wheels, and the R559 has plenty of reach to switch to 700c (ISO 622) in the future. No recessed nuts, no bike modifications.
Old 05-27-11, 02:15 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Got any pics of that Tourist set up???
Old 05-27-11, 02:57 PM
shorthanded

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd

Wrong!

I'm not sorry for saying this. A Tektro dual pivot caliper with the OEM pads properly set up is functionally superior (by far) than any single pivot caliper of the same reach with any pads. If you're denying this you are lying to yourself and spreading falsities on the internet. Shame on you.

If, for whatever reason, you prefer single pivot brakes, that's A-OK. I use them and like them. But, dual pivot calipers are an improved design. That's not debatable.

come on, lloyd. firsly-- scolding? really? secondly- YES- i PREFER them. I only stated 'THEY FEEL CRAPPY TO ME' at least 4 times.

curious how some members of this forum seems to have a reading comprehension problem, not to mention a foreshortened sense of humor. if reread what i've said, i seem to've NOWHERE said DPs don't work. in fact, i praised them several times for their shimano iterations. no arguments of physics, no claims of technological failings. just that they don't feel good. and the tektros i had with oem pads blew. badly.

should the internet wish to contact me to send it's shame my way for being the ONLY person spreading falsehoods, i'll gladly give it the bird. that is also undebatable. if the mods would like to ban me for my 'transgressions', by all means.. but boy you gents'll brew a tempest in a lukewarm teacup.

now i see why folks like rich cranium hassle you guys...
Old 05-27-11, 04:31 PM
Puget Pounder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
come on, lloyd. firsly-- scolding? really? secondly- YES- i PREFER them. I only stated 'THEY FEEL CRAPPY TO ME' at least 4 times.

curious how some members of this forum seems to have a reading comprehension problem, not to mention a foreshortened sense of humor. if reread what i've said, i seem to've NOWHERE said DPs don't work. in fact, i praised them several times for their shimano iterations. no arguments of physics, no claims of technological failings. just that they don't feel good. and the tektros i had with oem pads blew. badly.

should the internet wish to contact me to send it's shame my way for being the ONLY person spreading falsehoods, i'll gladly give it the bird. that is also undebatable. if the mods would like to ban me for my 'transgressions', by all means.. but boy you gents'll brew a tempest in a lukewarm teacup.

now i see why folks like rich cranium hassle you guys...
Hope you're not making fun of my reading skills. You said that single pivots have twice the spring power. Sorry if I said anything that made it personal. I just like a good ol' fashioned debate.
Old 05-27-11, 06:56 PM
michael k

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dang,I swear this site is on daylight savings time.

one more picture.There was not enough meat on the rear bridge for recess nut so a front caliper was used with washers from a center pull.

Thanks again JohnD for the hookup on the wrong-sided calipers.
Old 06-01-11, 06:05 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7352 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
What kind of rack is that, michael k?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-02-11, 07:44 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
curious how some members of this forum seems to have a reading comprehension problem, not to mention a foreshortened sense of humor.
My post was humorous. I think you're on the defensive so you didn't see it that way. I don't have reading comprehension issues. Nor do I have spelling, punctuation, capitalization or sentence structure issues. You've demonstrated all four in one post.

As my post plainly stated, if you prefer single pivots that's great.
Old 06-02-11, 12:11 PM
realestvin7
Large Member

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
So what DP offerings are there in 60mm reach?
Old 06-02-11, 12:27 PM
michael k

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
What kind of rack is that, michael k?
Not sure.picked it up at a co-op. There was one on ebay some time ago with lights mounted to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.