Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's With All the Liars?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-23, 10:38 AM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts

Just got back from my third trip looking at bikes without buying the bike. Why? Because when I asked, "Is it 100% rideable as-is?", I got a "Yes" each time. I even specifically ask about the breaks working, wheels straight, derailleur working, gears shifting. Each time I get there, those things don't work. Last time he told me the bike was 18.5 inches. I get there and it's 16.5. IT HAD 16.5" ON A STICKER ON THE FRAME. Wow. I'm not mad or frustrated, I understand I can always go to a store and buy a new bike, but geez. I guess they think I won't test ride it? Or maybe they don't think.
Old 08-19-23, 10:48 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
When it comes to a bike not being as advertised, I guess there may be a few sellers who will try to deceive but I really think most are clueless.
Old 08-19-23, 10:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,566 Times in 7,334 Posts
You sound mad and frustrated.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-19-23, 11:11 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...that's pretty standard for Craigslist ads around here. If it makes you feel any better, as someone who has advertised restored, well working bikes on CL in the past, there is a steady stream of potential buyers who never intended to pay anywhere near your asking price. But they waste your time setting up an inspection meeting anyway. Then they look for something they deem to be a defect, in order to "bargain".

It's Craigslist. It's been that way as long as I can remember. I always walk away thinking, "Well, at least I was lucky this time, and the guy didn't kidnap and kill me."
Old 08-19-23, 11:19 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
par for the course buying used. anyhoo...just got done reading about the battle of Chattanooga. maybe you should have a read, it'll put things into perspective.
Old 08-19-23, 11:22 AM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...that's pretty standard for Craigslist ads around here. If it makes you feel any better, as someone who has advertised restored, well working bikes on CL in the past, there is a steady stream of potential buyers who never intended to pay anywhere near your asking price. But they waste your time setting up an inspection meeting anyway. Then they look for something they deem to be a defect, in order to "bargain".

It's Craigslist. It's been that way as long as I can remember. I always walk away thinking, "Well, at least I was lucky this time, and the guy didn't kidnap and kill me."
I like to make my own luck and always CC. But yeah I guess buyers can be a pain too. I have had buyers throw my bike into their vehicle without even looking at the bike let alone test riding which I don't get, but oh well. I've never really had any haggling once we meet up. I also don't haggle once I'm there unless there is something really wrong that wasn't disclosed. I lucked out and got a Trek FX 7.3 for $140 and I guess I'm trying to find a similar deal but oh well.
Old 08-19-23, 11:28 AM
indyfabz

I’m reminded of the scene in Gladiator where the guy is complaining that the giraffes he brought won’t mate. Haggling and trying to get over is nothing new.
Old 08-19-23, 11:31 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Are we talking about a bike being sold by Academy Sports or Dick's Sporting Goods? Or are we talking about an established local bike shop that only deals in bikes and bicycle accessories? Only the latter would I expect them to have any real knowledge about the products they sell.
Old 08-19-23, 11:37 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
It comes with the territory when buying used. No doubt there are some lies, or, at least, not full disclosure. IME, many of the sellers know nothing about the bikes they are selling. You would be better off accepting these things happen, try to be more selective with what you are looking at, try to get pictures before you travel to look. I have a neighbor that has a bike from the early 70's, it was a piece of crap when it was new, and most of it is original. He thinks that because it is 50 plus years old with original components, it should be worth considerable dollars, even though it is barely ride able, and surly not safely. Anyone that knows bikes, even a little bit, would likely not take the bike if it was free.
Old 08-19-23, 12:18 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
There's not a lot of $ in flipping bikes, even for folks who have knowledge and a robust market. For every screaming deal profit maker like that Medici, you'll find a couple dozen wastes of time. Gaining some knowledge will be your best defense.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 08-19-23 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-19-23, 12:26 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by spelger
par for the course buying used. anyhoo...just got done reading about the battle of Chattanooga. maybe you should have a read, it'll put things into perspective.
I have read about it. I have plenty of perspective but thanks, oh wise guru. Glad you are reading.
Old 08-19-23, 12:29 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by delbiker1
It comes with the territory when buying used. No doubt there are some lies, or, at least, not full disclosure. IME, many of the sellers know nothing about the bikes they are selling. You would be better off accepting these things happen, try to be more selective with what you are looking at, try to get pictures before you travel to look. I have a neighbor that has a bike from the early 70's, it was a piece of crap when it was new, and most of it is original. He thinks that because it is 50 plus years old with original components, it should be worth considerable dollars, even though it is barely ride able, and surly not safely. Anyone that knows bikes, even a little bit, would likely not take the bike if it was free.
Yeah some of the ads are pretty funny. It really wasn't a rant. It definitely goes with the territory and I consider it entertainment. Ignorance I can understand. It's the lying I don't like. But yeah I limit my search to 10-12 miles and I usually arrange it around another errand so no harm no foul.
Old 08-19-23, 01:51 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
I'm going through the same thing as I look for a guitar on FB Marketplace. So many of them are not as advertised. Takes a lot of looking at the pictures and deciphering what is shown to confirm what the thing actually is. If i miss something I usually find it when it is seen in person. In addition tot this the prices are outrageous so I figure the seller is expecting someone to either not know what the piece is worth and pay the ask or they do know and will haggle the price down to where it should be. Those posts I simply skip over.
Honestly, it is a PIA to look for a used instrument!
Old 08-19-23, 02:00 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Most people don't really know anything about how bikes are supposed to work.

You learn this real quick if you become a bicycle mechanic. People on the phone who say they just need a flat fixed, maybe look at the shifting, then they bring it in and it's basically a basket case.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 08-19-23, 02:29 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by GeezyRider
When it comes to a bike not being as advertised, I guess there may be a few sellers who will try to deceive but I really think most are clueless.
Yup. Never attribute to malice what can so easily be explained by incompetence.
Old 08-19-23, 05:09 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
The problem is with the approach of the OP. Unless someone is under house arrest it is not difficult to go to a bike shop and investigate first hand what they have to buy. Never have I been refused a test ride on a bike.

Frame sizes are relative with the wide variations in frame geometry. A medium from one bike company may be borderline too small but another company's may be just right and the best way to find out which is best is to get on the bikes.

If I ask a restaurant employee if the food is any good the answer is not at all valuable. If I read the reviews on yelp I may learn more or I may not as people's tastes vary as does their food experience and often their prejudices. I have heard people complain about the food in Maine as being too spicy and all that the cooks use is black pepper.

A better question is what's with all the whiners.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 08-19-23, 06:53 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by GeezyRider
Indeed. I picked up a bike a year or so ago, a very original 1982 Lotus Classique that was so original the TIRES were still original. One owner since new, always garaged.

He said he'd pumped up the tires and I could take it for a ride, but I could see that the bead on one tire had come unseated, and it could have been a really short, but possibly exciting ride (seller lived near the top of the Oakland Hills). I'm pretty sure he just didn't think about how old the tires were when he pumped them up, and didn't notice the bulge.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-19-23, 07:10 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
I'm betting the bike was stolen.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 08-19-23, 07:51 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Liars on the internet? Impossible. Now back to my 23 YO dating profile….

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-19-23, 07:53 PM
teejaywhy

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
... Or maybe they don't think.
Pretty much.
Old 08-20-23, 01:18 AM
George Mann

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RetroGlide iE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
In my years of buying from private sellers in the US, I have found that 8 out of 10 of them knowingly lie about, or conveniently fail to mention any of the problems or shortcommings of the item that they are selling.

It is a culture of dishonesty as well as a culture of neglect (most of their items are unkept, worn out junk).
Old 08-20-23, 05:19 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by rsbob
Liars on the internet? Impossible. Now back to my 23 YO dating profile….
Funny. A former member here who was posting all sorts of BS (including stealing photos off the Internet and passing them off as his own) had a profile on a local to him dating site. In that profile, he lied about his age compared to what he posted here.
Old 08-20-23, 06:31 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Most people don't really know anything about how bikes are supposed to work.

You learn this real quick if you become a bicycle mechanic. People on the phone who say they just need a flat fixed, maybe look at the shifting, then they bring it in and it's basically a basket case.
I call these “test bikes”. The customer wants something fixed but fails to mention something (or things) that are so obvious they disable the bike. “Ah, they’re checking to see of us dumb bike mechanics notice this. Testing us, eh?” Just part of the job. The real test is continuing to be professional rather than only caring about the bike as much as the customer does.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 08-20-23, 08:14 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Frustrating but not uncommon. I once drove 100 miles to look at a Harley. Guy was selling it "for a friend who loved the bike, always kept it maintained and stored it indoors. Rain water pooled in the tail lights among other faults.
Old 08-20-23, 08:37 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
I guess they think I won't test ride it?
If you learned how to overhaul a bike, this wouldn't be an issue. I never test ride any of the bikes I buy. I do my research beforehand and thoroughly look them over before purchase.
Likes For SurferRosa:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.