Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's the dumbest thing another bicyclist has told you?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What's the dumbest thing another bicyclist has told you?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-22, 06:53 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,639 Times in 2,921 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
“road cycling is too dangerous, i’ll stick to riding fast through narrow, unpaved, muddy, steep, rocky trails through the forest hours away from medical attention”

no idea about the actual risk, but all but one bike injury i’ve personally known someone to suffer have been off road, mostly seriously broken bones requiring the occasional medevac. 😟
A good friend had a serious off while mountain biking alone resulting in a cerebral bleed and was wearing a helmet. He nearly died but fully recovered after a prolonged convalescence and has since given up said activity. He now rides a gravel bike on logging roads and rail to trail conversions. His surgeon warned him if he ever had a similar type of crash there is a good chance he wouldn’t survive. Now he plays it very safe and runs more than cycles.

Last edited by rsbob; 07-17-22 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-17-22, 06:56 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1278 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Whether that makes any real difference depends on a number of factors, too.
personally, i ride for a fixed amount of time, not distance or calories or watts. time is the constraint, always. my average output is very consistently 200w +/- 10% whether i ride for 2 hours or 6, so the actual work done is the same regardless of the bike chosen. i choose the bike to maximize my enjoyment. on a heavier bike with more drag it’ll be a shorter ride in terms of distance, probably less fun, but the same amount of exercise. not more or less.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 07-17-22, 07:03 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by rsbob
A good friend had a serious off while mountain biking alone resulting in a cerebral bleed and was wearing a helmet. He nearly died but fully recovered after a prolonged convalescence and has since given up said activity. He now rides a gravel bike on logging roads and rail to trail conversions. His surgeon warned him if he ever had a similar type of crash there is a good chance he wouldn’t survive. Now he plays it very safe and runs more than cycles.
rail trails that connect to major roads are probably pretty close to the safest thing. less pedestrians and dogs, no cars, limited obstacles and limited grades.

i have unusual health considerations and just wouldn’t ride somewhere an ambulance couldn’t drive to within visual range of my location. every person’s situation is slightly different, but that’s part of my objection to the blanket statement that off-road / MTB is “safer.”
Old 07-17-22, 07:34 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,041 Times in 4,475 Posts
makes sense. i’m fortunate not to personally know anyone killed or seriously injured by a car on the road while cycling. the many friends bandaged and in casts from MTB incidents may speak to random chance, or an actual much higher frequency of less severe accidents.

there also seems to be a big difference between daily commuting / errands and road riding where one is highly selective of the route. many of the commuters i know have been hit multiple times. a sad and ****** state of affairs.
I rode off-road motorcycles every weekend for 10 years. Been road riding for close to 40 and mountain biking for over 30. All of the deaths and all of the horrible injuries I know of were on road rides. My worst crash was on a road bike on a bike path. I actually can't think of anyone ever being injured while I was on a mountain bike ride, except myself. Got pretty banged up when I fell off a cliff but I rode out and didn't miss any work.
Old 07-17-22, 07:41 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Whether that makes any real difference depends on a number of factors, too.
You'll have to do it a lot faster if training with lightweight equipment to get quality workout.

Likes For koala logs:
Old 07-17-22, 07:56 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
gravel bike = comes with permission from god to ride on all gravel surfaces
road bike = comes with permission from god to ride on all roads?
mountain bike = comes with permission from god to ride on all mountains?
fat bike = …. uhhh … ?

😂😂😂😂
Yeah, permission from God and country!

A roadie group came by and told me to get back to the paved road. I don't like sharing road with cars, so no thanks!
Old 07-18-22, 05:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Well, yeah.. so if you go slower, your time spent climbing that hill is longer = more energy expended overall. If you go the same speed on the heavier bike, then the time spent climbing is the same, but you exerted more watts to achieve that.

The difference is probably negligible, and the heavier bike gets a small speed bonus on the way down which may largely offset any difference on the ascent.
Old 07-18-22, 05:35 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
personally, i ride for a fixed amount of time, not distance or calories or watts. time is the constraint, always. my average output is very consistently 200w +/- 10% whether i ride for 2 hours or 6, so the actual work done is the same regardless of the bike chosen. i choose the bike to maximize my enjoyment. on a heavier bike with more drag it’ll be a shorter ride in terms of distance, probably less fun, but the same amount of exercise. not more or less.
You must have your riding down to a pretty exact science, in that you have it timed so perfectly that at the end of your allotted time, you're back home or at your car (or wherever you wanted to finish).
Old 07-18-22, 08:37 AM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
You must have your riding down to a pretty exact science, in that you have it timed so perfectly that at the end of your allotted time, you're back home or at your car (or wherever you wanted to finish).
obviously there are small variations, but we're talking minutes. i have maybe 10 basic routes that i regularly enjoy, with lots of little variations that add or subtract 5, 10, 15 minutes. in practice it's really simple - if i have 1.5 hrs free at lunch between meetings, route X has been 1:15 moving time ±5 minutes for the last year, i ride it and add a little 15 minute loop at the start or the end.
of course there are days when it's just "i'll go see how i feel" but those are maybe one in ten rides, at most. maybe when i'm retired and the kids have moved away ?
Old 07-18-22, 08:54 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
obviously there are small variations, but we're talking minutes.
Obviously, but that was kinda my tongue-in-cheek point. A 30 mile ride up a constant 2% hill might take 150 minutes on a 22lb bike and 147 minutes on a 16lb wonderbike. I think it's a bit of stretch with many indicating how they'd all adjust their chosen routes if they had heavier vs lighter bikes.
Old 07-18-22, 09:12 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,566 Times in 1,792 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
The difference is probably negligible, and the heavier bike gets a small speed bonus on the way down which may largely offset any difference on the ascent.
The difference between a light and heavy bike is not what I would consider negligible, as the time difference on an up-and-down course is significant.

The time gain descending with a heavy bike is small, and that gain is overshadowed by the time difference during the climb:

1. descending speed is high so wind resistance is dominant force,
2. wind resistance increases as the square of speed,
3. much more time is spent climbing than descending.

Example using Kreuzotter calculator:

The heavy bike takes an additional 39 seconds to complete the ride, a difference of 6%.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-18-22, 09:31 AM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by terrymorse
The difference between a light and heavy bike is not what I would consider negligible, as the time difference on an up-and-down course is significant.

The time gain descending with a heavy bike is small, and that gain is overshadowed by the time difference during the climb:

The heavy bike takes an additional 39 seconds to complete the ride, a difference of 6%.
interesting that you use that example. i found that in almost those exact same circumstances the calculated result virtually identically matched my real world result on a known grade that i frequently tackle. there’s also a potential virtuous side effect if you’ve maxed out your low gear where the ability to ride up the hill a little faster gets you into a gear and cadence that’s more efficient - and a lot more fun.

in my case it was an 8% difference in total weight - 196lb vs 212lb. also lost about 15lb over the course of tackling said hill, so the total difference over time was more like 14%. the descent did not get any slower because it’s fear/skill limited.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 07-18-22, 09:39 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4946 Post(s)
Liked 8,087 Times in 3,826 Posts
I rode off-road motorcycles every weekend for 10 years. Been road riding for close to 40 and mountain biking for over 30. All of the deaths and all of the horrible injuries I know of were on road rides. My worst crash was on a road bike on a bike path. I actually can't think of anyone ever being injured while I was on a mountain bike ride, except myself. Got pretty banged up when I fell off a cliff but I rode out and didn't miss any work.
I've crashed more often on a MTB, but road crashes tend to do more damage, mostly because of higher speed. My most serious single injury was on a MTB - broken collarbone.
Old 07-18-22, 10:00 AM
big john

Originally Posted by Eric F
I've crashed more often on a MTB, but road crashes tend to do more damage, mostly because of higher speed. My most serious single injury was on a MTB - broken collarbone.
This reminded me of a friend breaking his collarbone years ago on a mountain bike ride. We were descending McGill trail on Mount Pinos and he launched off a jump and clipped a tree branch while in the air. This changed the trajectory of the bike and he couldn't recover it. I don't know why I couldn't remember that when I wrote that post the other day.

This is the same guy I rode the Lockwood Valley loop with the day after my 40th birthday. He had slid into second base during a baseball game and dislodged some old football injury crud in his knee but he wanted to do the ride anyway. His knee locked up with miles of climbing to go. I felt like crap but tried to hammer back to the car and when I returned to pick him up he was pedaling with one leg and the locked up knee hanging out in the air.
Old 07-18-22, 10:06 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

This reminded me of a friend breaking his collarbone years ago on a mountain bike ride. We were descending McGill trail on Mount Pinos and he launched off a jump and clipped a tree branch while in the air. This changed the trajectory of the bike and he couldn't recover it. I don't know why I couldn't remember that when I wrote that post the other day.

This is the same guy I rode the Lockwood Valley loop with the day after my 40th birthday. He had slid into second base during a baseball game and dislodged some old football injury crud in his knee but he wanted to do the ride anyway. His knee locked up with miles of climbing to go. I felt like crap but tried to hammer back to the car and when I returned to pick him up he was pedaling with one leg and the locked up knee hanging out in the air.
You've gotta stop riding with that guy. He ruined two of your rides - LOL.

My incident was descending Josephine Peak Rd, in the days when going as fast as I could was my goal. I was ahead of the rest of the group I was with, lost traction in a turn, and was on the ground in an instant. I was able to get down the hill steering with 1 hand.
Old 07-18-22, 10:23 AM
big john

You've gotta stop riding with that guy. He ruined two of your rides - LOL.

My incident was descending Josephine Peak Rd, in the days when going as fast as I could was my goal. I was ahead of the rest of the group I was with, lost traction in a turn, and was on the ground in an instant. I was able to get down the hill steering with 1 hand.
I haven't ridden with him in a long time. My 40th birthday was 28 years ago.

I used to do club rides with a group which included a tough ex marine who was a bit crazy. He broke his collarbone like 40 miles from home and insisted he could ride back. He gave it a shot but the pain eventually convinced him to stop and call for a ride.
Same guy would not wear a helmet, didn't have one when he broke the collarbone. Said if he could survive Viet Nam and 2 helicopter crashes he didn't need a helmet. One day he crashed descending Angeles Crest and it put him in a coma for several days. Still, no helmet.

I saw him a few years later and he had a helmet on. "WTF?" I asked. Seems he met some lady who wouldn't ride with him unless he wore one. After that he got used to it.
Old 07-18-22, 10:37 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I haven't ridden with him in a long time. My 40th birthday was 28 years ago.

I used to do club rides with a group which included a tough ex marine who was a bit crazy. He broke his collarbone like 40 miles from home and insisted he could ride back. He gave it a shot but the pain eventually convinced him to stop and call for a ride.
Same guy would not wear a helmet, didn't have one when he broke the collarbone. Said if he could survive Viet Nam and 2 helicopter crashes he didn't need a helmet. One day he crashed descending Angeles Crest and it put him in a coma for several days. Still, no helmet.

I saw him a few years later and he had a helmet on. "WTF?" I asked. Seems he met some lady who wouldn't ride with him unless he wore one. After that he got used to it.
LMAO. A man's gonna do what a man's gonna do...until his lady tells him not to.
Old 07-18-22, 10:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

So basically, you just ride 6% farther on the workout with the lighter bike. Problem solved. Workouts equalized. I don't think this is significant in the context of defining a "good" workout.

Last edited by livedarklions; 07-18-22 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-18-22, 11:00 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,566 Times in 1,792 Posts
Yeah, I had to complete a ride with a broken collar bone once. Not a good idea. Not like I had a choice.

Midweek, when almost nobody is on the MTB trails, I had parked my car on Skyline Rd in the Santa Cruz Mountains, planning to descend to the Purisima Creek Redwoods entrance, then climb back to my car.

On a steep section, I dropped my front wheel into a rain rut and was launched onto my left shoulder. Snap! There I was, injured on a descent that is rarely traveled, so I had no choice but to gingerly descend to the park entrance. Every little bump prompted an involuntary scream. It's interesting how much pain you can tolerate when there is no other choice.

Then I took a more tame fire road back to my car, about 1500 feet above. Climbing was the least painful part.

When I got back to my car, I couldn't manage to lift the bike onto the car rack, so I asked a woman passing by to help me. Then I drove myself to the hospital, one handed. Glad my car had automatic shifting.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-18-22, 11:34 AM
big john

Yeah, I had to complete a ride with a broken collar bone once. Not a good idea. Not like I had a choice.

Midweek, when almost nobody is on the MTB trails, I had parked my car on Skyline Rd in the Santa Cruz Mountains, planning to descend to the Purisima Creek Redwoods entrance, then climb back to my car.

On a steep section, I dropped my front wheel into a rain rut and was launched onto my left shoulder. Snap! There I was, injured on a descent that is rarely traveled, so I had no choice but to gingerly descend to the park entrance. Every little bump prompted an involuntary scream. It's interesting how much pain you can tolerate when there is no other choice.

Then I took a more tame fire road back to my car, about 1500 feet above. Climbing was the least painful part.

When I got back to my car, I couldn't manage to lift the bike onto the car rack, so I asked a woman passing by to help me. Then I drove myself to the hospital, one handed. Glad my car had automatic shifting.
Ouch! In 2007 I was descending a 15 mile trail in the San Gabriel mountains with 8 friends. I was between the fast guys and the slower guys on a steep descent when I went over the bars and fell off a 40 foot cliff. Don't know why I did that but the bike stayed on the trail. I got pretty banged up, compression fractures on 2 vertebrae, tore my rotator cuff again, etc. I first had to climb back up to the trail then ride 2 hours back to my car. No cell service and no way to get a car to where we were. I knew I had to hurry before things started to swell up so I went faster than before I crashed. My friends were impressed.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-18-22, 12:32 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Oh so true. I have crashed literally dozens of times on my MTB, and just had a few bruises and some cuts, except for one bad shoulder injury incurred at 15 MPH with a tree. However with the hardcore MTB crowd, the number of broken bones they have had seems to be a badge of courage. For me though, not so much and think they may deserve another kind of badge. High speed crashes on a road bike, especially involving the head can be, as we all know, catastrophic.

Old 07-18-22, 12:37 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

LMAO. A man's gonna do what a man's gonna do...until his lady tells him not to.
And here I was thinking that the prospect of him getting romantic with her, drove him to wearing one.

Old 07-18-22, 12:52 PM
big john

And here I was thinking that the prospect of him getting romantic with her, drove him to wearing one.
Well, yeah!
Old 07-18-22, 01:58 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

That's exactly what I was trying to imply.
Old 07-18-22, 04:00 PM
mschwett 

… the number of broken bones they have had seems to be a badge of courage...
these are the same dudes who tell me how much safer it is than riding on pavement 😂