Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear Derailleur Snapped off

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-22, 12:42 PM
Kade29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My rear derailleur snapped off by its bolt which ended up shearing the bolt and the thread it hangs on so now I need a new derailleur as well as a new hanger for it. I have been trying to find what I need but there's a lot of options. My bike is a 21 speed (7 cogs in back and 3 in front) and the original brand derailleur was Power but they are like non existent anymore. Could any of you help me find out what to get as replacements? (Trying to stay under $35)
Old 07-21-22, 01:22 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
i had to replace my hanger a few years ago. forget where i looked but you might try one of these places...

https://derailleurhanger.com/
https://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-han...facturers.html

think it was from the latter one.
Likes For spelger:
Old 07-21-22, 01:32 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
A new rear DR you can get for cheap...

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=88089

A DR hanger will cost you though...

https://www.universalcycles.com/search.php?q=DR+hanger

Check the specs though on the DR I've no idea what size cogs you are running but am assuming it's a fairly narrow 14- 26ish or so.

Microshift might be another good choice too for a DR on an old bike. Don't know if they make hangers.

https://www.microshift.com/
Old 07-21-22, 02:16 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
What kind of bike was it. Did it have a replaceable derailleur hanger?
Old 07-21-22, 02:21 PM
Kade29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
What kind of bike was it. Did it have a replaceable derailleur hanger?
I cannot send pictures or links as of right now, so the model is (below) which can be found on the dynacraft website fairly quickly.

24" Dynacraft Gauntlet Boys' Mountain Bike

Old 07-21-22, 02:36 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Looks like your bike came with a 'claw' type rear derailleur mount - which is lucky for you because you can get inexpensive rear derailleurs with a built-in claw mount...

https://www.performancebike.com/shim...00gsb/p1279152

(example for illustration, may not be compatible with your exact bike)

A separate 'claw' mount with threads to accept a standard rear derailleur are also sold, usually quite inexpensively.

https://www.performancebike.com/sunr...bs0.hc/p590974
Old 07-21-22, 02:54 PM
Kade29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Looks like your bike came with a 'claw' type rear derailleur mount - which is lucky for you because you can get inexpensive rear derailleurs with a built-in
This option looks like it would work. I measured the claw that I have right now and it appears to be 11mm. Is that compatible?
Old 07-21-22, 05:28 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 2,057 Posts
Originally Posted by Kade29
This option looks like it would work. I measured the claw that I have right now and it appears to be 11mm. Is that compatible?
Claw hangers are pretty much universal.
Cheap Shimano Tourney as linked before or a microshift will likely be better than the original.
We'll also assume if it has indexed ("click") shifting that is Shimano compatible.

Depending on what happened you may have to tweak the dropout (plate where the derailleur and wheel mount) if it got bent. 7 Speed you can eyeball and adjust with an adjustable wrench. If it's indexed shifting you'll need to do some cable adjusting to get it to index correctly (if the presumably cheesy shifters actually function decently). YouTube videos abound for mounting and adjustment.

​​​​​​https://www.rei.com/product/205273/m...ut-claw-hanger
Old 07-21-22, 08:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
I wouldn't put the money towards that bike, if you are stuck on it just buy a new one at wally-mart. Putting a new derailleur and hanger on that bike will be more than it is worth at this point.
Old 07-21-22, 09:21 PM
Kade29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I wouldn't put the money towards that bike, if you are stuck on it just buy a new one at wally-mart. Putting a new derailleur and hanger on that bike will be more than it is worth at this point.
Don't worry I bought a derailleur with a hanger attached for 17 bucks on Amazon. As much much as I would love to buy a new bike, the wallet is not thick enough for that right now.
Old 07-22-22, 06:07 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
If you haven’t already, you might want to investigate what caused this catastrophe in the first place. If, for example, it was due to the chain getting jammed somehow…if that cause still exists the same thing could happen again.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 07-22-22, 07:42 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 2,057 Posts
Originally Posted by Kade29
Don't worry I bought a derailleur with a hanger attached for 17 bucks on Amazon. As much much as I would love to buy a new bike, the wallet is not thick enough for that right now.
Put a new cable & housing on it as well.
Old 07-22-22, 02:58 PM
Kade29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
If you haven’t already, you might want to investigate what caused this catastrophe in the first place. If, for example, it was due to the chain getting jammed somehow…if that cause still exists the same thing could happen again.

Dan
I am pretty sure that it came from the fact that I rode on a small ditch right on my driveway and slammed the bike onto the driveway which bent a chain or two. I had thought I got them back straight but apparently not because when I tried to ride again the chain would not go and I tried to force it. I learned my lesson now and the chain is straight again.